The October Issue of Genii is Now Live Online!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

The October Issue of Genii is Now Live Online!

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 15th, 2014, 10:00 pm

The October issue of Genii is now line online for your desktop, laptop, iPads, iPhones, and whatever else you have.

* The cover story heralds the return of magic to prime-time American television with the 13-week "Masters of Illusion on the CW, produced by David McKenzie, David Martin, and Gay Blackstone. Airing at 8 p.m. in most markets, this gives great exposure to magic and also to many magicians who are unknown to the lay public. You can watch the episodes on the CW’s website: http://www.cwtv.com/shows/masters-of-illusion. Learn about the behind the scenes story with writer Dustin Stinett, who interviewed the producers and many of the performers. It also has lots of snazzy photos from Ms. Kari Hendler and a bunch of videos in the digital edition.

* The Comedy & Magic Society is one of those local performance venues that fly under the radar for folks living outside the Washington, DC, and Maryland area. It stars four talented magicians on a regular basis, and is generally presented once a month at the Arts Barn in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Watch the video in the digital edition to get a taste of what the show is like. Tickets range from a modest $12 to $15, and there you’ll see Brian Curry, Barry Wood, Bob Sheets, Mark Phillips, and others. There are magicians who circulate doing close-up in advance of the stage show. Future performances are listed here:
http://www.gaithersburgmd.gov/leisure/a ... -arts-barn
and there's a nice promotional video in our issue.

* I knew Jerry Andrus very well and greatly admired him enough to produce and direct his three-video series. And although I had heard he did a stage act in the early 1960s, I’d never seen it. His friend Barry Brilliant has allowed me to include it in our digital issue at the top of p.11, and you should really watch it. I had no idea that Jerry was so adept at physical humor and it’s quite wonderful.

* Great audio columns by Max Maven and Jon Racherbaumer await you.

* Two notable people in the world of magic recently died. Our obit on Ron Wohl is written by his friend Roberto Giobbi; Joanie Spina is memorialized by her friend David Oliver.

* This issue Andi Gladwin takes over “Magicana,” bringing a new vitality and fresh eye to the tricks each month. Out of the gate we have effects from John Guastaferro (with an iPhone), Chris Mayhew’s Anti-Control (I bet my uncle could have used that—ho ho ho), and Marcelo Insua’s clever take on Any Card at Any Number. Andi will also be doing a “Modern Magicana” video each month, covering the entire column, which is something I’ve been hoping to provide our readers for several years.

* We’ve got terrific columns for you this month: Jim Steinmeyer describes a fine old-fashioned illusion in “Conjuring”; Eugene Burger takes on the issue of "Smart Travel" and includes a video as well; John Gaughan shows off two things this month—a whopping enormous Botania and a clockwork table that “grows” a bouquet. Both were part of Houdini’s final tour at the time of his death and he pulls back the curtain to reveal them in his “Chamber of Secrets”; Tom Stone has tired of mocking our current columnists and has reached back into the past and pointed his humorous finger at … Ali Bongo. So join him under the banyan tree in “Lodestones”; Jon Racherbaumer—whom I keep prodding onward toward producing his magnum opus—this month contemplates bubbles. Yes. Bubbles. In “On the Slant”: Caleb Wiles explains a very simple Any Card at Any Number (can’t people get enough of this trick?) in “Ringside”; we finish up the month of ghouls and goblins with Eric Mead, Joe M. Turner, David Regal, and a surprise visit from Mr. Stinett, who reviews the new Guy Hollingworth set of DVDs from Dan and Dave.

If you don't subscribe, what are you waiting for? It's only $35 for a digital subscription worldwide! Print and digital subs in the US start at $58. Other prices are available at http://www.geniimagazine.com
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Stone

Re: The October Issue of Genii is Now Live Online!

Postby Tom Stone » September 16th, 2014, 8:10 pm

The Jerry Andrus clip is amazing!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 16th, 2014, 11:27 pm

I would love to have seen Jerry do that act live.

I wonder if it was electronic or someone off stage pulling strings.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » September 17th, 2014, 1:45 pm

Jerry Andrus was hilarious. Who knew?

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » September 22nd, 2014, 12:34 pm

I love Max's audio column. They often have a great punch line and this month is no exception.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » September 22nd, 2014, 2:24 pm

October issue arrived today in Manchester, England.

Return to “Buzz”