Get Out Your Money: The Hollingworth Collection is Here!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
PapaG

Re: Get Out Your Money: The Hollingworth Collection is Here!

Postby PapaG » August 27th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Of all the products to accuse of overhype and it is what is in effect the collected works of Guy Hollingworth that gets singled out as an example....

Would still like a list of actual new content though.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » August 27th, 2014, 12:48 pm

If one checks back through this thread, they find there is only a single poster suggesting that the DVD's are overhyped ... every other poster to this thread is merely wondering what's on the discs.

AJM

Postby AJM » August 27th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Once I receive my set I will share the list of contents with all and sundry.

Then again, I may sulk and decide not to.

I'm such a tease.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 27th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Roger M. wrote:If one checks back through this thread, they find there is only a single poster suggesting that the DVD's are overhyped ... every other poster to this thread is merely wondering what's on the discs.

well, a couple of people have mentioned the hype. And to say I (you can use my name Roger) said the product is "over hyped" is misleading. I merely mentioned that meaningless comments reflect poorly on otherwise thoughtful performers

the rest of my posts have pretty much been correcting others - like you Roger - who are incapable or unwilling to read the words actually written and make false accusations, such as suggesting that any of this was about ethics or that the issue was over hyping THIS product per se.

I would have thought my observation would have been read and we could have moved on from there.

as the monk said to his student, "I left the woman at the creek two miles ago, why are YOU still carrying her with you?'

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 27th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Roger M. wrote:If one checks back through this thread, they find there is only a single poster suggesting that the DVD's are overhyped ... every other poster to this thread is merely wondering what's on the discs.

stuartbeck

Postby stuartbeck » August 27th, 2014, 2:10 pm

I have ordered the set last Friday & very much am looking forward to it's arrival.

Owning the VHS tapes (including the Reformation release) the picture and sound has deteriorated significantly.I haven't viewed the material in years, but am am anxious to get out of a rut and revisit pieces I may have forgotten.

I agree with Richard that one doesn't necessarily have to perform all the material to appreciate the artistry.

As for the content, it's not difficult to obtain the London Collection or Routines content. The interviews are the interviews but as for "The Interval" section of the set?

I can only assume it covers all the material that is contained within the chapter of Guy's "Drawing Room Deceptions" book that is titled...wait for it..."The Interval"
Pages 121-169

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » August 27th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:I would have thought my observation would have been read and we could have moved on from there.

as the monk said to his student, "I left the woman at the creek two miles ago, why are YOU still carrying her with you?'

You have got to be kidding.

Brad, you've written 15 (fifteen!) posts in this thread.

You haven't left anything back at the creek.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 27th, 2014, 5:21 pm

I received my copy of this set in the mail today.

Damn, this is one cool product! They spent some serious bucks on the packaging. I thought the price was high for a 3 DVD set, but I can see where the money is going.

Guy is his Mr. Smooth old self in the videos, and I'm looking forward to watching this. The additional material on each DVD seems almost equal or greater than the original footage, so there's quite a bit on here.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » August 27th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Received my set in Seattle this afternoon. Beautiful packaging! I'm looking forward to the upcoming long weekend to sit back and enjoy it.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 27th, 2014, 6:26 pm

Perhaps those who have received the set can provide the rest of us with some information as to the actual nature of the addtional material, since the Bucks seem in no hurry to provide that. :ugeek:

I know that some folks (collectors perhaps) get really excited by such things, but I have no interest at all in the fancy box, custom deck of cards, autographed certificate, etc.

If the additional material if of interest, it's my hope that the twins might eventually release it as a straight dvd set, without all the frippery.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 27th, 2014, 6:45 pm

Ted M wrote:
Brad Henderson wrote:I would have thought my observation would have been read and we could have moved on from there.

You have got to be kidding.

Brad, you've written 15 (fifteen!) posts in this thread.

You haven't left anything back at the creek.

and this makes 16 and there will be more as long as people misrepresent what I say or make baseless personal attacks.

that's reasonable, right?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 27th, 2014, 6:53 pm

I got mine in the mail, and just to annoy Brad, I am not going to post the contents. :lol:

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 27th, 2014, 7:04 pm

that doesn't annoy me at all. I have not once requested a listing of contents.

Please feel free to annoy those whom you can help though. If that's what you think you want to do.

Eoin O'hare

Postby Eoin O'hare » August 27th, 2014, 7:38 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:...

I know that some folks (collectors perhaps) get really excited by such things, but I have no interest at all in the fancy box, custom deck of cards, autographed certificate, etc.

If the additional material if of interest, it's my hope that the twins might eventually release it as a straight dvd set, without all the frippery.

I'd rather see it as a download, I haven't played a DVD in about five years, I don't even own a player anymore or have a disc drive in my mac.
Designer & Maker of The Stripper Jig Card Trimmer

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 27th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Oh, that's right--the hype is what's bothering you.
Consider it "hype-worthy" then.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 27th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Eoin O'hare wrote:
I'd rather see it as a download, I haven't played a DVD in about five years, I don't even own a player anymore or have a disc drive in my mac.

For the occasional video that I've purchased, I really appreciate those vendors (Vanishing Inc, Penguin, etc.) that allow me to download a watermarked version that I can stream out to my TV (not worrying about the disk) or take along with me on my tablet. Of course, the same can be easily accomplished with DVDs. My house is small (tight on space) and ostentatious packaging (especially if I feel it's adding the cost) really bugs me.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on August 27th, 2014, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 27th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:My house is small (tight on space) and ostentatious packaging (especially if I feel it's adding the cost) really bugs me.

IF you buy these and do not want the ornate box (keeping the nice book-like sleeve and the cards of course) I will buy it from you so you can reduce its "footprint."

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 27th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Is the box plastic or wood?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 27th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Evan Shuster wrote:Received my set in Seattle this afternoon. Beautiful packaging! I'm looking forward to the upcoming long weekend to sit back and enjoy it.
Richard Kaufman wrote:I received my copy of this set in the mail today.

May I ask when you guys ordered your set? I ordered the first day Richard posted. On the website, my order is still marked as "processing".

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » August 27th, 2014, 11:19 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
Besides, anyone who would allow this on one of his own products has gotta' be cool...

That video is from the end of Derren Brown's dvd, The Devil's Picturebook

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 27th, 2014, 11:24 pm

The box is made of an extremely heavy cardboard, printed with wood grain and coated with a thick gloss lamination. It is also silver foil stamped.

Having investigated various types of packaging over the years for magic sets and other products, I can tell you that this box, including the black exterior sleeve, and all the interior pieces, cost a lot of money to make.

Dustin and I were sent sets by the producers (as we always are for product reviews). But since Evan Schuster also received his, they must have sent out all the sets paid for in the first wave. I don't know if they ship every day or once a week.

The video with Derren is also included on the third DVD in this set.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 27th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Thanks for the information about the box. It's nice to know that much attention/expense has been lavished on something that I have no desire to own.

All this has inspired me to take another complete read-through (probably my 7th or 8th) of Drawing Room Deceptions. Perhaps I'll work on that weird closeup version of "Waving the aces" that no one seems to do.

Am I the only one who doesn't find the Derren Brown parody especially clever or funny? It made me cringe years ago when I first saw it and (after watching it again) I find it hasn't become any more appealing to me in the interim.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 27th, 2014, 11:56 pm

Reaction to Derren's parody seems to be mixed.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » August 28th, 2014, 12:12 am

It may be mixed, but Hollingworth himself must find it brilliant ... he's trotted it out again all these years later, and of his own free will in order to share it with his audience.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » August 28th, 2014, 12:58 am

Hopefully, someone will come along to tell us what is wrong with Derren's video how it could have been made better.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » August 28th, 2014, 2:48 am

Derren's video did achieve one positive thing for magic in general; it halted the production of the Macclesfield Collection, a parody video Dean Atkinson and I were going to make...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 28th, 2014, 11:41 am

Granted, the video is not uproarious, but it elicited a chuckle when I saw it in the Hollingworth Collection trailer. (Not sure what the background is for the Ammar reference, though).

On another tangent (Sorry!): D and D make much over how influential Guy's magic has been.

To me, some of the things he has brought to magic include: 1) popularizing the notion of the piece by piece restoration, 2) a move towards bringing close-up magic from a horizontal to a vertical plane, 3) popularizing the hiding of sleights at waist level, 4) Very clever and diverse ideas with an office supply item, and 5) a duplicate signature gambit. Of course, he didn't invent all of these concepts, but he certainly took them to a level, that even if not entirely novel, made them eminently practical for the rest of us.

However, other than the initial rash of piece by piece restoration methods, I haven't observed a lot of these concepts in widespread use by the masses, and I haven't seen a ton of references to his sleights in print. In addition, I'm not aware of a lot of people imitating Guy's performance style. (in marked contrast to many Tamariz disciples, who often seem to have similar affectations ["Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle"] or say, a giant like Max Maven, whose fingerprints are all over contemporary magic.) Even guys like David Blaine and Criss Angel have seemingly spawned entire industries, with numerous clones abounding.

For context, I'm a huge fan of Guy and his magic. However, I am curious: in your opinion, how influential has Guy's magic been thus far?
Last edited by erdnasephile on September 3rd, 2014, 3:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » August 28th, 2014, 12:10 pm

When talking about the lasting influence of Guy Hollingworth's work, let's remember that he is, after all, not a full time performer but a barrister (lawyer) who is immensely talented magically, and who loves the Art.

Others in this category include Simon Aronson and John Bannon.

I consider him to have left an indelible mark in magic, plus he's a very nice fellow.

I own the three videos in the collection in their original form.

Matt Field

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 28th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Bill Marquardt wrote:Hopefully, someone will come along to tell us what is wrong with Derren's video how it could have been made better.

Kinda light out for 3am - day for night

:) liked the bicycle gag.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 28th, 2014, 12:48 pm

Guy is one of the few people alive whom I would consider to be at the level of past masters like Derek Dingle or Larry Jennings.

But, he is not as prolific as they were, and for whatever reason no single plot that he's developed (with the possible exception of "Waving the Aces") has been a must-add to everyone's repertoire.

(Sure, everyone would like to do "Reformation," but it's so incredibly difficult that few can, which accounts for all the variations which try to remove pain at the expense of effect.)

Also, as Matt notes, he's got a real job--and a busy one--so he's not physically around as much in the US. I think those things may account for some of the above question. However, the fact that not everyone is doing his material (yet--the DVD set may change that), doesn't diminish his presence in the field.

Bill Marquardt

Postby Bill Marquardt » August 28th, 2014, 1:04 pm

I hesitate to buy items like this and the Paul Daniels collection not because of the cost but rather that there is no printed material. I find learning from video more difficult. I realize that many will be buying this solely for the collector value, not to learn the effects, but that is not me. I have no wish to start another debate on video versus book. I am just wishing that we could have the option of an accompanying book with explanations. Perhaps I am in the minority in this regard.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 28th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Even though I know there's some cool new stuff on this set (beyond useless boxes, fancy decks of cards, etc.) it's increasingly difficult for me (as a non collector) to justify the expense for the new bits, knowing that I haven't fully maximized the benefits of the same material already available to me in book form.

I've seen all the original vhs videos here before (even the Reformation one) and can say that, while the videos were well done, they didn't add much for me. For those who prefer video, I can see the appeal of having these offered as a set.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on August 28th, 2014, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » August 28th, 2014, 1:26 pm

@Bill - Do you have a copy of 'Drawing Room Deceptions' by Guy Hollingworth? All of his material (apart from one trick - see below) is available in that book - so you don't have to learn from video, if you find that difficult.

As for the new box set. There is a brilliant repeat ace assembly buried in there which was not in the book. So - that is one to look out for.
Last edited by Joe Mckay on August 28th, 2014, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 28th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Bill Marquardt wrote:I am just wishing that we could have the option of an accompanying book with explanations. Perhaps I am in the minority in this regard.

You have that option: Drawing Room Deceptions is still in print and available from Mike Caveney: http://www.mcmagicwords.com/books_drawi ... tions.html

The vast majority of material in this collection is in that book.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 28th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:(Sure, everyone would like to do "Reformation," but it's so incredibly difficult that few can, which accounts for all the variations which try to remove pain at the expense of effect.)

Even the brilliant/talented Guy has been known to fumble through it a bit on occasion (around 2:15 on the following video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN-OfsWZLz0

It's not a dig on guy, but just noting that the "get into" for that last phase is nasty hard to do smoothly. Fortunately I believe there's an alternative handling in the book to help with that (albeit at the cost of showing the back again at that point.)

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » August 28th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Charlie Frye's Ripped and Fryed, included in the Paul Harris box set, is my preferred version of the "Reformation" and more accessible too.

Bill Marquardt

Postby Bill Marquardt » August 28th, 2014, 2:30 pm

@ Joe and Dustin - Thanks for the info. I will look into it.

So much for my effort not to spend more money on magic books and stuff for awhile.

edited to add: I just ordered the book, making this the third one in a week. (also Japan Ingenious and Strong Magic) I guess I shall have a lot of reading to do.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 28th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Bill Marquardt wrote: (also Japan Ingenious and Strong Magic) I guess I shall have a lot of reading to do.

Two very fine choices.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » August 28th, 2014, 5:49 pm

The Hollingworth book is amazing. Also - there is a trick (with no illustrations) hidden in the introduction. So don't miss that one.

As is 'Japan Ingenious'.

'Strong Magic' is a weird one. Some people love that book whereas others preferred 'Designing Miracles'. Personally - 'Designing Miracles' is my favourite theory book from Ortiz. And probably the best theory book I have read in magic.

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » August 29th, 2014, 11:55 am

Got my order in two days ago, but I'm still waiting for shipping confirmation. Looking forward to this. I had the pleasure of seeing Guy's one-man show, 'The Expert At The Card Table' a few years ago in Los Angeles. It was brilliant and amazing, and very nicely directed by NPH.

Richard, I'm always surprised when you say that 'The Reformation' is so difficult. I've seen you do knuckle-busting moves that I cannot do at all. God knows, I can't second or bottom deal to save my life. But I've been doing 'The Reformation' since I bought the tape from Guy 20 years ago and, once I'd initially learned the moves, I never found it terribly difficult. I think some of its supposedly easier, yet always inferior, imitators were more clunky and difficult. The toughest thing with Guy's trick is just being aware of angles and sight lines.

Return to “Buzz”