Candid Camera: has it's own "Magic Clerk"

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
JFox

Candid Camera: has it's own "Magic Clerk"

Postby JFox » August 15th, 2014, 2:42 pm

Each decade, the classic "Candid Camera" TV Show rises from the ashes (and deservingly so. It certainly was the forerunner of the modern "hidden camera" TV premise).

Once again, Peter Funt (son of creator Allen Funt) has brought this series back onto American television.

This time around, (August 2014) it currently airs on the TV Land" Network.

Why do I mention this?

The current series has a semi-regular segment utilizing their "resident magician", pro-magician, Ben Jackson.

Ben's segments are pretty much a direct copy of the "Magic Clerk" idea, as popularized by Michael Carbonaro and his "The Carbonaro Effect" TV Show.

Ben is shown as a store clerk at various locations - making mayhem & tom-foolery with customer's credit cards, currency, etc.

It certainly appears that the idea of hidden cameras & magicians is a continuing trend...and didn't this all start with MTV's "T.H.E.M."?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Candid Camera: has it's own "Magic Clerk"

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 15th, 2014, 3:26 pm

I have not watched many of the early Candid Camera shows which Allan Funt produced (and those I did watch were in black and white when I was a kid), but it wouldn't be the least bit surprising if there was a magician in there somewhere.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » August 17th, 2014, 4:14 am

Magicians working "undercover" on hidden camera TV show predates T.H.E.M by decades.....
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 17th, 2014, 11:35 am

Search for "Candid Camera" in AskAlexander. They had magicians involved numerous times.

Return to “Buzz”