Shocking magic episode on AGT?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Brad Henderson

Re: Shocking magic episode on AGT?

Postby Brad Henderson » August 22nd, 2014, 3:13 am

I thought I m magician said super did not go through but a recent post implied he is.

is he?

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 22nd, 2014, 4:32 am

From what I understand he was the 'wild card' choice ... brought back by judge, Howie Mandel.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » August 22nd, 2014, 6:59 am

Whilst I don't have direct experience behind the scenes on AGT I have worked on other versions of the show and on those the "wild card" act(s) are the ones who didn't get voted through but who did generate the most online chatter (good or bad doesn't matter) as long as they're talking about you they'll probably tune in to watch you again; as will all their friends just to see what all the fuss was about. It never translates to votes but it does work as cheap way to get more people watching and discussing (and thus promoting) your TV show some more.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 22nd, 2014, 10:36 am

somehow I don't think super will chose to see it that way

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 22nd, 2014, 3:03 pm

CraigMitchell wrote:From what I understand he was the 'wild card' choice ... brought back by judge, Howie Mandel.

Oh goodie: I get my nickel back.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » August 22nd, 2014, 3:06 pm

I don't think he will see it that way. He probably thinks that he should never have been eliminated and that bringing him back is correcting an error.

There is an unfortunate pattern among at least two of the magicians on AGT this season. They think that they are much better than they really are and deserve to win the million bucks.

There is a third magician from, I believe, Rhode Island who is good in my opinion. Not just what he does and his presentation but his humble appearance as well.

baabaablacksheep

Postby baabaablacksheep » August 27th, 2014, 11:08 pm

Mike Super made it to the "Top 12."

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » August 27th, 2014, 11:22 pm

He made some adjustments and his performance last night was pretty good in my opinion.

He went through along with the two guys who I thought are a very good team. Next week, there are two more trying to make it to the top 12.

baabaablacksheep

Postby baabaablacksheep » August 27th, 2014, 11:45 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:along with the two guys who I thought are a very good team. Next week, there are two more trying to make it to the top 12.

I was watching off the DVR so I just found out and came to post. The two guys were the last to get through. The judges put them through. It was three votes for them and no need for the forth. I guess the judges were not worried about having the possibility of four magic acts in the Top 12.

I know there is Smoothdini next week, who is the 4th act?

Fure sure the public is really enjoying magic on TV. That is great, there will be more Magic on TV and in the movies.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » August 27th, 2014, 11:56 pm

The 4th act is the guy from, I believe, Rhode Island. I think he is doing a terrific job. He's the one who did a version of Sam The Bellhop weeks ago.

I agree that the public is enjoying magic right now. You have at least two other magic based shows on TV. There is the Penn and Teller show, Masters of Illusion, and this weekend, two days of the Houdini miniseries. Then, Candid Camera has a resident magician used in segments of the show.

A great time for magic indeed!

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » August 28th, 2014, 6:02 am

Mike's act was an odd choice - i can see how it was put together at the last moment (i've only just discovered that AGT doesn't have the expert/advisor pool available to contestants that other countries do) and with some development it could have been a lot better. If i were him i'd be replacing assistants ASAP since the number of basic technical errors they made were shocking though.

thomasmoorecreative

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » August 28th, 2014, 8:56 am

You may well be correct Tom but the public who voted him through didn't seem to notice any problems.

They voted Smoothdini through in spite of his awful performance.

I think it's safe to say that what we see and the public sees are two different things in many cases.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » August 28th, 2014, 9:15 am

I refer you to my previous comments in this thread and previous writings - just because the public vote a "magic act" through, or clap at the end of a "magic act" doesn't necessarily mean they were mystified or liked the magic - they were sufficiently entertained or entranced by some element(s) of the performance (more than the other alternatives available at that moment) just enough to inspire them to declare that enjoyment. Never make the mistake of assuming that it's the quality of the magic or technical prowess lay audiences appreciate - something that applies to 95% of all magicians and magic performances.

thomasmoorecreative

baabaablacksheep

Postby baabaablacksheep » August 28th, 2014, 10:19 am

Watching the Magician's on AGT this year reminds me of an important fact I have to remember when I do a trick. You can get away with a lot more than you think (most of the times). I would make a flub and say out loud (this is for friends/family members, I am not a professional), "aw shucks," but my audience would most times say "what?"

Most of the stuff that has been done this year were really simple to figure out and I do not know that much about magic.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 28th, 2014, 11:34 am

it is my understanding that the producers hold final call on what acts get through. There is a disclaimer in the credits which suggests this as well. Super had a huge Facebook following which makes him ideal for these types of contests.

Super is a perfect choice for agt because he already has a touring illusion show. When I saw clips of it it was all Kevin James and Copperfield stuff lifted down to the music cues and advertising materials.

but unlike their other magic choices, Super is plug and play into their touring road show. He has big tricks.

Return to “Buzz”