Tom Stone: Runes of Tomorrow

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Tom Stone: Runes of Tomorrow

Postby Matthew Field » August 3rd, 2014, 8:35 am

Tom Stone’s new e-book “Runes of Tomorrow” is a 35 page pdf containing seven routines. One is a card trick, a variation of the old Hotel Mystery which is quite nice, but to me is the weakest item in the book. Even so, it’s always interesting to see Tom’s thinking on established plots. One of the strongest items is Tom’s take on the “slum” magic Ball and Vase trick that every kid got in that magic set.

The balls multiply, change color, the vase multiplies – the more people know about the effect the more they will be fooled. More about this in a moment.

Chromatic Clutch is a mentalism effect, a prediction, which might have been sold separately for a hefty price. Make it yourself and you have a slick stage effect. Fatalistic Orb is another mentalism effect which is so damn clever it reminded me of something Tommy Wonder might have come up with. There’s a variant of Larry Jennings’s Invisible Palm Aces using the DeLand gimmick Josh Jay christened “Overlap” that I’m not in love with; Tom’s use of the gimmick and lapping is very interesting, but I’ll stick with the Jennings’ ungaffed approach.

Deck of Decroux is a damn clever card prediction effect suitable for stage, and would be appropriate for the likes of Derren Brown ‒ or anyone else, for that matter. It is so strong it would work well as the climax to an evening’s show.

There’s also a throw-away bit to sting an uncooperative audience assistant, if that’s your goal.

Aside from the wonderful illustrations and inventive approaches to plots, as mentioned above it is Tom’s thinking that really got my brain shifting into overdrive. That Ball and Vase trick – Tom discusses a performance of the Cups and Balls he watched, done by a TV reporter for magician Joe Labero. When she had finished her routine, which was televised, Labero did some moves including some impromptu loads, after which the reporter wept!

Why? Because she saw what a seasoned magician could do with the same props. Jim Steinmeyer has written about how educating audiences to some of the principles behind illusions can make them even more appreciative of innovative approaches. Tom explores this idea in a different, and stimulating, way.

This ebook is ridiculously inexpensive and is the first offering from Tom’s new magic company, Warg (www.wargmagic.com), which means wolf in Swedish. I love Tom’s magic and his thinking, and I highly recommend his “Runes of Tomorrow.”

MManchester

Re: Tom Stone: Runes of Tomorrow

Postby MManchester » August 3rd, 2014, 11:45 am

You have to admire Tom for not abandoning digital publishing despite having had his material shared illegally in the past. If I got burned too many times I'd likely give up.

But I have to quibble with your assessment of the e-book as "ridiculously inexpensive" when compared with his other work. You didn't indicate the price so I visited his site. For 7 routines he's charging $14 for a PDF. That's $2 per effect.

Yet we can buy a hardcover copy of Maelstrom that contains 70 effects for $55 from many retailers. That's only $0.78 each.

For my own meager paperback book of effects, I took the cost of producing the physical book and then doubled it for the asking price. Determining what to charge can be very subjective, but particularly so when it's a PDF with limited production costs.

Is $2 per effect a reasonable price for work by someone of Tom's reputation and expertise. Absolutely. But he did have the option of charging less. Describing it as ridiculously expensive, I was expecting it to be closer to $7 or $8. But as an impoverished retail employee, I think everything is too expensive.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » August 3rd, 2014, 12:05 pm

Michael -- There are dozens of illustrations in Tom's book and, as I wrote, 7 effects (and a sort of mini-bonus). A one trick DVD is $30. There are several "big" effects in the book. It's not a book, it's an ebook, but to me $15 is cheap.

We'll agree to disagree.

Matt Field

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » August 3rd, 2014, 12:59 pm

I've had my money's worth from the Invisible Palm Aces trick alone, fooling myself visually all weekend. It opens the door to many variations (the obvious being a straight Elmsley count, an Olram subtlety, an Andrus single card vanish).

Yes, big hardbound books are a more-bang-for-the-buck purchase, but with e-books such as these you don't have to wait five to ten years for the tricks to be collected. It's exciting to have access to material this fresh and inventive. For me, money very well spent.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » August 3rd, 2014, 1:09 pm

Matthew Field wrote:Michael -- There are dozens of illustrations...

86 to be exact. :-)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 3rd, 2014, 5:27 pm

we now judge magic ideas the same way we compare toilet paper - how many squares per penny?

if we treat magic as a commodity why should we expect real people to do otherwise - just give me the cheapest act please, preferably one with one of the appearing bowling balls but hold the cards hidden on the back of their hand, please.

CraigOusterling
Favorite Magician: All the dead ones.

Postby CraigOusterling » August 6th, 2014, 2:17 pm

To extend on the toilet paper comment: If you paid a penny per word for this book it would only cost you $90.60 (that is without the fantastic illustrations)

This eBook is well worth $14.00

If I use ONE trick from this eBook then I've still spent less than half of what most new 'one trick dvds' go for. I bought it on release day.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » August 6th, 2014, 2:34 pm

...particularly so when it's a PDF with limited production costs.

Cost has nothing to do with value (c.f. Waterworld)
Last edited by NCMarsh on August 7th, 2014, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » August 6th, 2014, 3:24 pm

(sigh) "PDF with limited production costs." Yes, bits are free, and distributing them is relatively low cost, but perhaps not as cheap as you think. But creating the material, writing, proofreading, and illustrating the book are not "limited costs" by any means.

John Bowden
Location: Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, E41 Y9K2.

Postby John Bowden » August 6th, 2014, 3:33 pm

There are always those among us who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

The Runes of Tomorrow is great value irrespective of price. I have all of Tom Stone's eBooks and other books and I can say with all honesty that I have received excellent value with every purchase. I don't remember the prices it is their value that lingers.

Cheers from the Emerald Isle of Ireland,
John Bowden

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » August 6th, 2014, 4:57 pm

IMHO the book is worth far more than the asking price, plus I, and I am sure man others, received a very nice secret surprise today from Tom. Tom appears to be possessed by the spirit of Tommy Wonder. I, for one, would be very happy if no one else bought his "overpriced" ebooks. I hope he sells a million, but I would be happy to have all of the secrets for myself.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » August 7th, 2014, 5:37 am

Well, I just shelled out the princely sum of $2 per effect for Tom's eBook. What a great ride into Mr. Stone's brain, these bear the Stone-ian mark of being both wildly imaginative and ground in performing reality -- and there's a wide range of great material here. Thank you, Tom for continuing to put this kind of material out.

It is worth noting, only as I didn't notice it mentioned, that some of this material has appeared in some form in Genii previously...

Best,

N

Elwood

Postby Elwood » August 9th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Let me get this straight.

Low production cost, rehashed versions of old, other peoples' routines and a bonus insult/sucker effect, but it must be good, because Matt Field says so, and Tom Stone put it together?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 9th, 2014, 9:20 pm

Yes, Elwood, it is good. Your comments belie your ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » August 10th, 2014, 2:17 am

I can not believe we are discussing cost per effect! Tom's publications are food for the creative mind. The value is in direct proportion to the creativeness of the reader.

I wrote this earlier today to Tom and thought I would share it here:

Fatalistic Orb...
I feel this idea could really work. The size of the base concern can be easily overcome. If the wooden base is made to look like an antique thread stand for spools of thread the problem is solved. Spools of different colored threads could be slipped over dowels on top of the stand. The stand under the spools has Coats & Clark (a thread brand here in the US) label on the front to give a reason for the thicker than necessary base. Inside the base would be the concealed balls and slanted chute.

The item which the performer apparently removes from the sack only needs to match the color not the object itself.

The base could be made to represent a small temple with steps leading up to several different colors of mini statues or different colors of dogs etc.

This idea is very good and can be reworked to fit any performer's style.
Jim

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » August 10th, 2014, 10:58 pm

Elwood wrote:Let me get this straight.

Low production cost, rehashed versions of old, other peoples' routines and a bonus insult/sucker effect, but it must be good, because Matt Field says so, and Tom Stone put it together?

I'm a bit curious about the comment on the production costs, because as far as I know, the production value is significantly higher than almost all other ebooks. What aspect of the production do you think is subpar?

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » August 11th, 2014, 3:30 am

Tom -- listening to constructive criticism can be helpful. Listening to nasty jibes is useless. Ignore this stuff.

Matt Field

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » August 11th, 2014, 3:43 pm

Thank you, Tom, for the brilliant Beme's Corner and everything else, as well.

Return to “Buzz”