Conjuring Credits Website

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Conjuring Credits Website

Postby erdnasephile » July 25th, 2014, 12:08 pm

http://www.conjuringcredits.com/doku.php

Wow! This is a huge leap forward for magic scholars and researchers. While, there are a few notable items I'd like to see addressed (Depth Illusion, for example), I can't wait to start digging around.

Thanks to Misters Minch, Maven, Behr, Giobbi, Kalush, Wilson, Paviato, and Smith for this amazing resource!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Conjuring Credits Website

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 25th, 2014, 12:17 pm

Press Release:

“Conjuring Credits” Website Opens. A new free research tool for magicians has just appeared. Conjuring Credits (www.conjuringcredits.com/) is a free Website devoted to the history and origins of magical sleights, tricks and concepts.
In the mid-1980s, Stephen Minch and Max Maven began keeping a record of their research and that of others regarding the history of conjuring. Desiring to share this information with other researchers, writers and students of magic, they envisioned a free Website that would make this possible. Roberto Giobbi suggested that Denis Behr might be willing to create such a site.
Behr accepted the daunting task and took it further than Minch and Maven had envisioned, by installing valuable links to the Conjuring Arts Research Center’s AskAlexander database and Behr’s own Conjuring Archive, making the site an exceptionally powerful research tool, one that provides not only a summary of the history of various tricks and sleights, but also makes many source documents available for verification and study.
As the site was being developed, other experts were invited to participate and add information. These included William Kalush, Tyler Wilson, Aurelio Paviato, Roberto Giobbi and Dan Smith. The site currently presents an impressive wealth of information and, combined with AskAlexander, the Conjuring Archive, offers the most powerful set of research tools yet devised for magicians. The Conjuring Credits board hopes that, with the help of magicians worldwide, the site will grow to become ever more helpful in discovering and making accessible the vast, complex and fascinating history of magic.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » July 25th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Very exciting!

Thanks to all involved!

jamessmith
Favorite Magician: Breslaw

Postby jamessmith » July 25th, 2014, 7:27 pm

This is a really important contribution to magic's history and the provenance of effects. Thanks to Denis Behr and the other contributors. An open question to all involved: is it possible to upload images? I would be happy to upload copies of original (out of copyright) sources that I have and it would be great if others could do the same.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » July 26th, 2014, 9:50 am

Oh joy! This is a wonderful, invaluable resource! My deepest thanks to the gentlemen who give us this great gift.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » July 28th, 2014, 3:16 pm

James, you can send relevant files to the email address provided in the FAQ section, conjuringcredits@gmail.com . We will then upload it, if the relevant section is not yet available on AskAlexander.

John Tudor

Postby John Tudor » July 28th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Denis,
Really brilliant site. Can we also make requests for origins of things not listed...? Thanks,
John Tudor
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates

John Tudor

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » July 28th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Unfortunately, it's not possible for us to do "research on request", but articles will be added from time to time without any schedule. If anyone wants to share his own research, you can submit it to the given email address. It might take some time until it is implemented on the site, since the sources must be checked out first, but we're certainly thankful for any useful information.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 28th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Just curious, John, what is it that you want researched?

John Tudor

Postby John Tudor » July 29th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Thanks, Denis, I'll submit some of my research for review. I am really fascinated by this!
Bill, I'm about halfway through a book on Coe Norton, which will include around 40 of his effects. To keep it interesting I'm including some information about the history of each effect. This site may well make things much easier!
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates

John Tudor

fredreisz
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby fredreisz » July 30th, 2014, 2:02 am

A little off topic...John (Tudor), great to hear about your book on Coe. I remember well our nights together as magicians in his home. Peace.. Fred (Reisz)
"The art of magic is the magic of art."

Return to “Buzz”