Seriously ? The Revollusionists ?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Seriously ? The Revollusionists ?

Postby CraigMitchell » July 19th, 2014, 1:05 pm

So everyone gave Criss Angel a hard time when he 'adopted' some of The Illusionists look & feel.

Seems Brett Daniels doesn't have a problem doing so either ... and if you can't call your show The Illusionists why not settle on The Revollusionists instead ?

Some choice quotes:

"Brett says “THE REVOLLUSIONISTS” will be what I had always hoped the “Illusionists” could achieve…but this time we’re ramping it up—breaking all barriers—and presenting authentic theatrical illusionary art on a level never before seen on Planet Earth.”

And then proof that they've spared no expense ...

"...Grewal said production will also be second to none. “We are using $500 worth of pyrotechnics for each show,” Grewal said. “That means we’ll have 50 blasts in each show. It will be fantastic.”

Wow ... $500 - Simon Painter must be very concerned.

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/entertai ... f887a.html

http://hobnobbranson.com/news-crime/bre ... mpossible/

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Seriously ? The Revollusionists ?

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 19th, 2014, 5:34 pm

Success begets imitation.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » July 19th, 2014, 6:56 pm

CraigMitchell wrote:

And then proof that they've spared no expense ...

"...Grewal said production will also be second to none. “We are using $500 worth of pyrotechnics for each show,” Grewal said. “That means we’ll have 50 blasts in each show. It will be fantastic.”

Do you think that's $500 wholesale?

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » July 19th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Pyro is a big part of what is wrong with most newer illusion shows. Fire, sparks, etc. for no reason at all. I will NOT be seeing this new show. I would rather see theatre, good dancing, great sets, great lighting, new illusions, good magic, great presentations, humor, drama than silly flashes of fire. I can figure out when an illusion is over without a fireworks display. Are people trying to impress with pyro rather than a real show? Not for me.

If I want to see some sparks, I can always grind on some steel or use my plasma cutter. At least for those sparks, there is a reason.

Ah, for the days of a real magic show...
Jim

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » July 19th, 2014, 8:37 pm

Some older magicians said the same thing when Doug Henning started.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » July 19th, 2014, 9:22 pm

Rick Ruhl wrote:Some older magicians said the same thing when Doug Henning started.

I'm older but always liked Doug Henning. Older folks at The Magic Castle were helping Doug way back then - so not all older folks said "the same thing". Doug gave a good show.

If you want to see fireworks, go for it. I'd rather spend my money on P&T at The Rio.
Jim

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » July 20th, 2014, 6:24 am

"A little revulsion now and then is a good thing." Is that Thomas Jefferson, Karl Marx or Groucho Marx, I can never remember?

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » July 21st, 2014, 7:08 am

Jim Riser, I wholeheartedly concur with your thoughts regarding pyro. Overused and, most often, pointless and unnecessary.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 21st, 2014, 10:52 am

Rick Ruhl wrote:Some older magicians said the same thing when Doug Henning started.

Perhaps there were some curmudgeons. By and large what I recall of discussions at the magic shop was that his serious study of the craft and generally infectious enthusiasm in performance were well received. Look how popular the Gene Anderson newspaper tear trick became.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » July 21st, 2014, 1:14 pm

It's probably worth noting that whilst other members of the "original" version of "the illusionists" are regularly employed by the show and continue to work in its various tours around the world including the forthcoming Broadway run, Brett is working in a tiny little theatre (with a not very good reputation though hopefully it's been refurbished) in a backwater of Branson.....

I'm also fairly sure KJ has nothing to do with this show despite appearing on the original publicity?
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » July 21st, 2014, 5:31 pm

Kevin James performed in Latin American original tour and is working now in Illusionists 2.0 in Mexico.
Andres Reynoso

Return to “Buzz”