Ron Wohl passes at the age of 77

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Meir Yedid

Ron Wohl passes at the age of 77

Postby Meir Yedid » July 7th, 2014, 12:34 pm

Sad to report the passing of Ron Wohl on July 7, 2014 at 10:45am. Dr. Ronald A. Wohl (11/25/1936-7/7/2014), whose stage name was Ravelli, has published a ton of routines and techniques under both names. For the past few years he has been fighting with terminal cancer and took a turn for the worse a few months ago. A gravesite funeral will take place on Thursday in South New Jersey.

Some of his creations can be found in Denis Behr’s database at:

http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?people=1262

Bill Mullins

Re: Ron Wohl passes at the age of 77

Postby Bill Mullins » July 7th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Also see his contributions to Whit Haydn's Three Card Monte book, and the big Zarrow book from David Ben.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 7th, 2014, 1:14 pm

A pity. He was a very nice and knowledgeable man.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 7th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Ron was a very creative and knowledgeable man whom I had the opportunity to speak with at many British and European magic gatherings. We had many discussions about my friend Karl Fulves, with whom Ron had, let us say, issues.

I'm sorry he has left us.

Matt Field

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » July 7th, 2014, 2:53 pm

What a sad news.

I had met Ron a few years ago at some convention and our paths crossed at many magic history conventions in Europe and the USA. The last time we met was at the Magic History Convention in Los Angeles at the end of last year and, on the last night, he told me that it would have been his last convention. He wasn't well and you could see, but I refused to believe him.

Rest in peace, my friend.

-- M.
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » July 7th, 2014, 5:28 pm

Ron, although he roamed the fringes and privately hung with many notables, was a thoughtful player. His strong opinions were well earned and not lightly gained. When appropriate they were also usually well argued. I first met his "style of mind" in Ibidem magazine. Later, I personally met him at Eddie Fields' trailer in Linden, New Jersey in 1969. He and Persi Diaconis had driven there through the snow. I vividly remember that meeting and the trick he did for us that utterly fooled everyone. Ron was part of the creative gentry and a faithful friend to many, including Herb Zarrow.

I lament his passing as our landscape increasingly changes and feels smaller.
RIP, Ron.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 7th, 2014, 6:55 pm

I am very saddened by this news. While I only got to see him every couple of years, Ron was a friend whose generosity toward me knew no bounds. I will miss him.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 7th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Ron was always great to talk to. Always had wonderful ideas. This is sad news.

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » July 7th, 2014, 8:58 pm

I'm very sad to hear this... I would spend time with Ron every Yankee Gathering. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of magic and con games and an insatiable appetite for learning coupled with a generous soul who loved to share what he'd gleaned over the years. He was a remarkable resource to many of us interested in card magic and three shell game work (as well as other con games).

At the last Gathering, Ron spent a bit of time watching me fold troublewit. He had wonderful observations and made me really think about the choices I made (and will make in the future)

Ron, I will miss seeing you and hearing your passionate voice...

Gordon Bean

Postby Gordon Bean » July 7th, 2014, 11:43 pm

I'll really miss Ron's enthusiasm and bluntness. In any sort of argumentation, he had the impatience of the child genius he had undoubtedly once been, but his impish smile and ready laugh were never far behind. Few have as stellar a batting average when it comes to publishing groundbreaking material, and I have little doubt that his precise passion will endure as long as there are discriminating students of the art.

C James Smith
Favorite Magician: Merlin, Penn & Teller, Copperfield

Postby C James Smith » July 8th, 2014, 1:18 am

Ron was a friend of mine and I will miss him

Bill Wisch

Postby Bill Wisch » July 8th, 2014, 8:16 am

A sad loss. Ron was a total lover of any and all magic, with valuable insight and masterful skills. We were very fortunate to have Ron as a featured lecturer at Metro Magic on one of his many specialties...Three Card Monte. Fantastic!!! Thanks for the many sessions and rest in peace, my friend.

Meir Yedid

Postby Meir Yedid » July 8th, 2014, 5:09 pm

An update on the services for Ron Wohl. There has been a slight change since I published the information in my newsletter.

There will be a graveside service, including a Broken Wand Ceremony, and burial on Thursday, July 10 at 3:00pm. It will take place at the Alliance Cemetery, 970 Gershall Avenue in Norma, New Jersey.

More information and an obituary can be found on the Rone Funeral Service website at:

http://ronefuneralservice.com/tribute/d ... tuary.html

Return to “Buzz”