Alan Alan R.I.P.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Alan Alan R.I.P.

Postby Q. Kumber » July 5th, 2014, 4:26 am

Alan Alan passed away last night in hospital.

Alan had toured the world with his escape act, headlining shows, circuses and arenas. After retiring he opened his magic shop with Joe Elman, Alan Alan's Magic Spot in Southampton Row, London. He did come out of performing retirement a few times, once to appear on a David Copperfield TV special, as far as I know the only guest magical performer ever to appear on one of David's TV shows.

Alan helped and mentored many magicians including Michael Vincent, Noel Britten and Richard McDougall. His advice, stories and insight helped many others. I spent many happy afternoons in the shop on my visits to London.

Alan's feedback was penetrating and often hurt, but you knew he was right. He could hone in on the weakness of the effect or the presentation with the precision of a surgeon. If you listened, you benefitted.

Rest in peace Alan. You would not want us to mourn but we will miss you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQsUxIiD6ZU

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Alan Alan R.I.P.

Postby Matthew Field » July 5th, 2014, 5:03 am

I was proud to call Alan a friend. His knowledge of magic and, as Quentin said, of what a magician was doing wrong in an act, was amazing. I had the task in 2005 of hosting a panel for The Magic Circle Centenary Celebrations which included Alan along with Billy McComb, Cesareo Pelaez,Peter Reveen, and Silvan. There were fierce time constraints -- the stage and theatre were needed for rehearsals for the stage show which was to follow later in the day.

I told each of the participants they'd have to restrain their answers. I was greeted with a glower from Billy McComb who I don't think ever forgave me. Alan Alan could easily spend a half hour answering a single question, but he did try. The results were, as Stan Allen noted in his review, disappointing. The pressure, and a couple of microphone issues, meant no one was able to relax. I'll never forget John Fisher, the producer of the entire event, giving me frantic "speed-up", then "cut!", signals from the wings.

But I did get to present these "Legends of Magic" (as the event was called) to the attendees. I had many more relaxed conversations with Alan Alan, mostly at The Magic Circle. His recollections and opinions were always highlights for me.

Alan was a generous man who gave a lot of money toward the building of The Magic Circle London headquarters. His loss to the world of magic is inestimable.

Matt Field

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » July 5th, 2014, 5:32 am

Matt, I was there for the Legends of Magic interview and if there was anything 'disappointing' about it, it was simply that it could have been better. I did not find it disappointing and especially enjoyed the contributions of Alan and Billy.

The problem was that you could have done a whole afternoon with each of them, so putting five into such a short space of time simply didn't and couldn't have worked in the time available. Under the circumstances, I thought you did great job.

Billy and Alan talked about more practical things while the other three spoke about the 'art of magic'.

Afterwards I spoke with Billy about the session and how much I had enjoyed his and Alan's contribution. Billy replied, "The others went on about the art of magic and forgot that the rest of us have to go out and earn a living at it."

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 5th, 2014, 5:40 am

Thanks for the kind words, Quentin, and for the great McComb quote.

Matt Field

M.Lee

Postby M.Lee » July 5th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Very Saddened to read this
He was a Great magician,Pitchman ,Master Escapist and Brilliant Showman
Thanks for the memories.

Michael Lee

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 5th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Alan was always very kind to me, and I was very pleased to be able to feature him on the cover of Genii in time for him to enjoy it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ross Welford

Postby Ross Welford » July 10th, 2014, 5:54 pm

I did not know Alan Alan personally, instead I was one of the countless visitors to his shop on Southapmton Row when I was young - probably about 35 years ago. What an odd experience! Alan - a diminutive figure - was always behind the counter, usually sporting a "knife thru head" gag and chain-smoking. Everything in the shop was coated with a thin veneer of cigarette ash, and the shelves behind him were stacked with boxes, each of which bore a hand-written and -coloured label: "thumb tips", "12 inch silks" etc. The counter was decorated with booby-trapped gags, like exploding spoons, or electric-shock lighters.

Friendly? Not really, in fact he was quite scary to a 12 year old if he thought you only wanted to buy the stink bombs or black-face soap that probably kept the business afloat.

Years later, I met him at a Magic Circle do. He hadn't changed much. I think he was wearing the same rumpled three-piece suit, and his elaborate "comb-over" hair-do was as unconvincing as ever. I shook his hand and he was slightly friendlier. But not much!

A great eccentric for whose passing we are poorer.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » July 11th, 2014, 2:28 pm

I knew Alan only as the slightly odd-looking magic shop owner. But, for a period in the 1980s, I worked a ten minute walk from his shop, and loved to visit it. In the pre-internet age, it was a Mecca for me. Sure he knew the importance of gags for the passing tourists - the buzzer, the pin through head - but when he knew you were serious about magic, he was generous in his advice and recommendations. It was thanks to him that I bought most of Harry Lorayne's books. A great investment.
Without shops like his, with his experienced, practical advice, I fear magic will suffer...

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » July 21st, 2014, 8:24 pm

An obituary in today's Independent newspaper

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 17459.html

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 21st, 2014, 4:29 pm

Video of Alan Alan doing a buried alive stunt in 1949:

Link

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 21st, 2014, 5:03 pm

He almost died that time.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » August 21st, 2014, 7:21 pm

Around 1949 Alan was touring with the show, Front Page Personalities, a variety show which also starred Maurice Fogel. I believe that Alan was with the show for about eighteen months. They played twice a night, six nights a week.

Alan told me he watched Fogel perform every single show and learnt more about showmanship from watching Fogel than any other showbiz experience. I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't recite Fogel's script off by heart and it is amity there wasn't more from Alan in the Fogel book.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 21st, 2014, 11:54 pm

David Berglas also told me on several occasions what an incredible performer Fogel was. I have always had a hard time reconciling his high praise with the performance Fogel gave at the SAM convention in New York at the Waldorf in 1978. Boring is the kindest way to describe it.

Diego

Postby Diego » August 22nd, 2014, 6:36 pm

I once asked Paul Daniels about Maurice Fogel, and he replied, "Fogel was a phenomena."
He had very strong praise for him as a performer, showman, and promoter.

Richard, I sorry you were disappointed.

I saw him perform at a local magic convention in Los Angeles, (1978/1979?) at The Wilshire-Ebell Theater, for the evening show with several other acts.
Fogel OWNED the stage and was a education in showmanship, control, and skill.
He was doing a newspaper prediction with several volunteers, tearing up the paper in pieces as a word was being selected,(to be later predicted). One of the volunteers was a smart-ass, 13-15 year-old, who knew enough magic to try to foul him up, constantly changing his mind and otherwise making it difficult and slowing down the show. Fogel masterfully paused and addressed him as a gentleman, with no put-downs or scolding or negativity. I CANNOT do justice to the words he said and how he said them, but when he finished, he turned to the audience saying what a bright lad he is, and finished his act to big applause, knowing the Kid, KNEW, if he tried to act up again, he would be booed, so he didn't.
I have never seen anyone take control and neutralize a problem/person so skillfully, as Fogel did.

Henry Fields told me how Fogel helped him as a model, and with his instructions to him.

cardmaster
Favorite Magician: Rodolfo

Postby cardmaster » August 27th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Fogel was EASILY the greatest mentalist I have ever seen. And I have seen most of the famous ones. Perhaps he had an off night the time Mr Kaufmann saw him. And of course it was only a few years before he passed away. The older you get, in many cases, the less effective you get. As for Alan Alan I have no wish to speak ill of the dead but I found him to be one of the most obnoxious individuals I have ever met although it was reported to me that he had a kind heart beneath it all. He did have a wonderful stage act with a very pleasant performing persona. It is a pity this didn't always carry over off stage. Anyway here he is at work. This is a different one than has already been shown:
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/magic ... an+alan%22

Return to “Buzz”