IBM SAM - Day 1

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

IBM SAM - Day 1

Postby CraigMitchell » July 1st, 2014, 12:34 am

Welcome to St Louis Missouri ... A city in mid America, where it's 100 in the shade, they sing the national anthem before theatre shows and now Home to some 1300 magicians ... And one very large arch.

Over the next week I'll be covering the highs and lows of this FISM North America as it happens. With IBM SAM being the "it" convention this year - expectations are high for an event which has been 3 years in the making ... And a registration price to match. Will they deliver the goods ? Will the societies play nice ? Who will represent America in Rimini, Italy ? Time will reveal all.

I have only just arrived but already seen so many friends and familiar faces ... The Renaissance Grand Hotel is truly buzzing and everywhere you turn its another 'who's who' of magic.

First impressions do count and registration was thankfully (for me) a painless affair - individual mileage may have varied. The "goodie bag" though is a somewhat underwhelming start to proceedings. Besides the oversized magazine style program compiled by Richard and Dustin - and a copy of the SAM congressional citation declaring magic to be an art - there isn't even a notepad or pen included (!) What a strange oversight ...

Tonight is effectively a soft opening to the convention ... Dealers kicked off at seven pm with a welcome cocktail party and Magic Live style card exchange followed by the first lecture of the week - Henry Evans. I have yet to explore what's on offer in this dealer market of mysteries - but judging by the piles of purchases I have seen leaving the room already - sales will no doubt be brisk

The opening gala show starts things proper tomorrow at 10 am, the stage contests follow along with lectures and performances by David Stone, Richard Turner and the inimitable Fat Brothers. Plenty to look forward to ...

On a side note - For those looking for life outside the convention hotel post 5 pm - think again. Downtown St. Louis is a ghost town - food choices on site are severely limited, and your nearest takeaway is blocks away! This isn't going to be conducive to keeping hoards of hungry magicians happy. I am already missing the Genii food court :-)

Let the fun and games begin!
Last edited by CraigMitchell on July 2nd, 2014, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CraigMitchell

Re: IBM SAM - Day 1

Postby CraigMitchell » July 1st, 2014, 12:45 am

Scott Wells

Postby Scott Wells » July 1st, 2014, 9:52 am

Visit The Magic Word at http://themagicwordpodcast.com/

SteveP

Postby SteveP » July 1st, 2014, 8:45 pm

CraigMitchell wrote:Welcome to St Louis Missouri ... A city in mid America, where it's 100 in the shade, they sing the national anthem before theatre shows and now Home to some 1300 magicians ... And one very large arch.

Hi Craig,

On behalf of the residents of St. Louis city and county, we apologize for the hot weather on Monday. Hot and humid, we're used to our summers this way. On Tuesday we turned down the thermostat a bit, but still got some complaints. So starting on Wednesday we're only going to get up to 77 with very low humidity and promise not to go much above 80 for the rest of the week. Enjoy and you can thank us on the way out.

I've never been to a theatre show in St. Louis (and I've been here for 19 years) where they sang the national anthem. That must have been at a magic convention.

I hope you get a chance to visit the Arch and the Mississippi River. The arch is over 600 feet tall, twice the height of the Statue of Liberty. It's only about 10 minute walk from your hotel.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 2nd, 2014, 12:30 am

"I've never been to a theatre show in St. Louis (and I've been here for 19 years) where they sang the national anthem. That must have been at a magic convention"

Nope ... this was at The Muny.

Was quite the education ;-)

Return to “Buzz”