New Genii Website Up and New Digital July Edition Live

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Chris Aguilar

Re: New Genii Website Up and New Digital July Edition Live

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 15th, 2014, 1:01 am

Reset my password and the system still insists that I don't have a subscription.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » June 15th, 2014, 1:46 am

Chris Aguilar wrote:Reset my password and the system still insists that I don't have a subscription.

Did you try logging in with a different email address?
I bet Genii has a different one then one registered with CARC.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 15th, 2014, 1:56 am

Joe Pecore wrote:
Chris Aguilar wrote:Reset my password and the system still insists that I don't have a subscription.

Yep, tried multiple addresses to absolutely no effect.

At this point, I'm ready to give up on workarounds and let the tecnavia guys fix it.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » June 15th, 2014, 2:04 am

Chris Aguilar wrote:
Joe Pecore wrote:

Yep, tried multiple addresses to absolutely no effect.

At this point, I'm ready to give up on workarounds and let the tecnavia guys fix it.

Bummer. Was not sure if it would work or not.

But my quick test did show that if your email addresses at CARC and Genii were different at the time of the turnover, you get the exact error you have. You can log in, but you don't have a subscription. Hope this at least helps them track this down faster.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 15th, 2014, 2:18 am

Well, I tried a third e-mail address (resetting it) logged in with that and the new p/w and now I'm in. Thanks for the heads up Joe.

Now to test the android app.

MartinKaplan

Postby MartinKaplan » June 15th, 2014, 5:15 am

Works like a charm on my Macbook but not so on my iPad. The cover fills the entire screen covering up all the navigation tools. I cannot go beyond the cover.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 15th, 2014, 5:33 am

Spent some time with the Android app and it seems very slow and buggy. Responsiveness is an issue.

When using the "content" button to view the text as well, text, does anyone know how to make the text fill the screen (portrait mode) on a tablet? I accidentally got it into that mode once and it's my preferred manner of reading on that particular device.

Alan Bursky

Postby Alan Bursky » June 15th, 2014, 6:33 am

Keeps asking me to subscribe. Says my online account is active, but will not let me in.
I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

Bursky

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » June 15th, 2014, 7:19 am

Alan Bursky wrote:Keeps asking me to subscribe. Says my online account is active, but will not let me in.
I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

Bursky

This mostly likely means your email address in the old system is different then the one Genii currently has on file for you. Not the email you use for this forum, but the one you used when originally subscribing to Genii magazine.

Try this:
* Log in using an email address, NOT username, that you think you used when originally subscribing to Genii (and whatever password you want)
* If an error comes back that there is no user with that email, try another email address that it could be until you get an error that the password is wrong.
* Now select "Lost Password" link to get your password.
* Remember to keep logging in with your email (NOT username)

* If this email address still says you need to subscribe, repeat with other email addresses you have.

This procedure worked for me and Chris.

AJM

Postby AJM » June 15th, 2014, 7:37 am

I know my sign-on details and passwords for all my online accounts.

I'll be patient and wait for an update once the company has had the opportunity to investigate the issue.

Andrew

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » June 15th, 2014, 9:25 am

Thanks, Joe. That worked; I got in!

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » June 15th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Yes, resetting the password and using an email address worked for me. (There's really no way you could transfer my user ID and password for Ask Alexander from CARC to the new system, so this isn't unexpected.)

Is there a non-Flash version for desktop web browsers? I'm not a fan because of the awkward scrolling and non-standard controls provided by Flash. Clearly there is a non-Flash version that's being served up to mobile devices.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 15th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Bug Report: I tried the search function on Chrome. Like IE, it gives the search results, but when I click on the search results, I move to the top of the search results, but the result itself does not open. All security, popup blockers, etc. are turned off.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » June 15th, 2014, 1:21 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Bug Report: I tried the search function on Chrome. Like IE, it gives the search results, but when I click on the search results, I move to the top of the search results, but the result itself does not open. All security, popup blockers, etc. are turned off.

Me too. I'm seeing javascript errors when watching the browser logs.

Actually the search works a little better when using my Android browser (not the app).

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 15th, 2014, 2:15 pm

There is no non-Flash version for desktop and laptop. And, it was set up so that your username and password from your Genii account at Ask Alexander would indeed port over. Not all things go as planned.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

bradmagic

Postby bradmagic » June 15th, 2014, 5:31 pm

Hi Folks,

Just FYI I've been following the thread here and am working with our Developer to figure out some of these bugs. Right now I'm focusing on getting user accounts up and running and investigating why some are working and some aren't.

If you have an active subscription, and when you log-in you CAN'T see Genii issues, fill out this form:
http://geniimagazine.com/current-genii-subscriber-help/

So, that's folks who login and see "you have no active subscriptions." What seems to have happened is during our import some user subscriptions were unlinked from their user accounts (password/login).

Thanks to everyone for your patience while we try to vastly improve our digital experience.

brad

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 16th, 2014, 1:49 pm

I notice that the "print page" functionality seems to be live on the desktop (web) version.

And it works really well, producing a clean searchable pdf of the page.

However, there is one bit of oddness.

The system forces one to crop what portion of the page they wish to print, which is useful in many cases, but a bit awkward when one just wants to print the whole page. Unfortunately, the system doesn't default to having the whole page selected with the crop box.

Other than that, I'm really liking the new web version and think it's a real improvement.

The android app however... well... I'll see what happens after they make the adjustments.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 16th, 2014, 1:54 pm

I do miss the ability (from the previous web app) to flip pages with the arrow keys. Requiring continual mouse clicks gets a little tedious.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 16th, 2014, 3:08 pm

We believe we've figured out what some of the problems might be that are preventing people from logging in: you have changed (or used a different email address) on your Ask Alexander account than the one you gave us when you subscribed: and you never alerted us to your new email address. Thus you are not being recognized by our program.

This is why Joe Pecore's idea of logging in with current Ask Alexander email address seems to have fixed the problem for some.

More updates coming as work continues.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 16th, 2014, 3:46 pm

While the Genii app is not currently showing up when you search for it in the app store for Apple devices, you can access it by sending the following url to your email address on your iPad or iPhone, and then tapping on it. That will bring you to the page and you can download the app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/igenii/ ... ?ls=1&mt=8

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 16th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:We believe we've figured out what some of the problems might be that are preventing people from logging in: you have changed (or used a different email address) on your Ask Alexander account than the one you gave us when you subscribed: and you never alerted us to your new email address. Thus you are not being recognized by our program.

This is why Joe Pecore's idea of logging in with current Ask Alexander email address seems to have fixed the problem for some.

More updates coming as work continues.

My issue was actually a bit of a 180 from that.

The current e-mail that was in CARC's system didn't work.

However, a newer e-mail (that I believe was linked with my actual genii subscription) did work. So as Joe mentions, it's worth trying every e-mail one has and using the p/w recovery. I had to try 3 different e-mails before I could log in and properly access the issues.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on June 16th, 2014, 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » June 16th, 2014, 4:08 pm

I have no problems with passwords or signing in. When I click on "Issues", I'm taken to a page that displays the recent issues. But when I click on an issue, a new page opens and a vertical tool bar briefly appears on the right side of the page. Then the whole screen goes white, and stays that way...

Help?

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » June 16th, 2014, 4:11 pm

I was able to log in using the email I supplied to Genii as a subscriber (even though I had to reset the password). I can never recall my Conjuring Arts login/password, I let the computer take care of that.

In browsing in the new format, I could not locate an option to show one page at a time. Currently the height of the page on my 19" monitor is set to full spread width which makes the page height smaller than the actual print version. Is there a setting that I am missing? I found that viewing a single page at a time was very readable before. Now, having to read full spreads, not so much...

I did find the zoom in/zoom out, but I like to see an entire page...

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 16th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Andrew Pinard wrote:I was able to log in using the email I supplied to Genii as a subscriber (even though I had to reset the password). I can never recall my Conjuring Arts login/password, I let the computer take care of that.

That mirrors my exact experience.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » June 16th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:I do miss the ability (from the previous web app) to flip pages with the arrow keys. Requiring continual mouse clicks gets a little tedious.

PageUp/PageDown keys seem to work for me (if you click on the page first)

Asser Andersen

Postby Asser Andersen » June 16th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:While the Genii app is not currently showing up when you search for it in the app store for Apple devices, you can access it by sending the following url to your email address on your iPad or iPhone, and then tapping on it. That will bring you to the page and you can download the app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/igenii/ ... ?ls=1&mt=8

Just downloaded the app - worked straight away.

Amazing to be able to browse both new and old issues. The issues seem to load quite a lot faster :) :)

Will there be an opportunity to do a search in the archive using the app as well?

Looking very much forward to following the development of Genii (and to the convention!!!)

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 16th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Joe Pecore wrote:
Chris Aguilar wrote:I do miss the ability (from the previous web app) to flip pages with the arrow keys. Requiring continual mouse clicks gets a little tedious.

PageUp/PageDown keys seem to work for me (if you click on the page first)

Works for me in windowed mode, but not in full page mode, which is the way I'd generally want to use it.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 16th, 2014, 7:49 pm

I'm sorry to say that the full-page mode is relatively useless. Since you can only use it while in "Flip" view, where two pages are displayed, they don't get much larger because the width of the two pages are almost equal to the width of the screen to begin with.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 16th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I'm sorry to say that the full-page mode is relatively useless. Since you can only use it while in "Flip" view, where two pages are displayed, they don't get much larger because the width of the two pages are almost equal to the width of the screen to begin with.

There is a workaround, with firefox.

Go here and install this small browser extension.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... chrome-hd/

Login to an issue and (without clicking the fullscreen button) go into "flip mode".

Push the "F11" (FUNCTION 11 TOP ROW) button and firefox will go into its very good full screen mode. Once there, you get the best use of screen real estate and the "content mode" also works.

The more I use the online and Android viewers, the more buggy they seem. Hopefully it'll be like before and they'll get things more optimized.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 17th, 2014, 11:31 am

Our Apple app (for the new system) for your iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone is now available in the app store.

Under the "Help" icon, look for the "Settings" tab, which will allow you to store up to 10 issues on your iPad. Now I'm trying to get the company to tell me how to find them once they have been downloaded and stored!

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 17th, 2014, 11:41 am

Are they planning any tweaks/updates for the Android app?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 17th, 2014, 11:58 am

I will push them so it aligns with the Apple app.
Chris, I've been working on all of this for five months and never saw the Android app until the other day, so it's going to take a month or so to sort it out.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 17th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I will push them so it aligns with the Apple app.
Chris, I've been working on all of this for five months and never saw the Android app until the other day, so it's going to take a month or so to sort it out.
Fair enough. The android app needs a lot of love which will hopefully come in time. It seems very "beta" at this point.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 17th, 2014, 2:43 pm

Update: I was able to search for "skinner" and discovered something.

I discovered that when an image is presented in the search results, clicking on that search result link does not produce the result (as reported above).

However, if a search results has no associated image of the page, you can click on the page number and you go someplace. Bad news is that after clicking on that link (say page 101), that page briefly shows up on the left hand side of the screen, but the browser is immediately redirected to another random page in the issue where the search result is found.

In addition to fixing the search engine bugs, I did have a few suggestions to consider please:

1. Please add an option where you can search the entire archive instead of having to manually entered a date range for the search
2. Please add a button to allow one to return to the search results after going to a search result.
Last edited by erdnasephile on June 17th, 2014, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 17th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Noted.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 17th, 2014, 3:06 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Update: I was able to search for "skinner" and discovered something.

However, I discovered that when an image is presented in the search results, clicking on that search result link does not produce the result (as reported above).

Verified this as an issue.

1. Please add an option where you can search the entire archive instead of having to manually entered a date range for the search

Perhaps the vendor could set default from oldest issue to newest issue.

2. Please add a button to allow one to return to the search results after going to a search result.

I noticed that if I click the "archive and search" button, it seems to take me back to the previous search.

AJM

Postby AJM » June 17th, 2014, 5:23 pm

I'm in!

On both iPad and computer.

A big shout out to Mr Aldridge for coming to the rescue.

Andrew

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » June 17th, 2014, 7:20 pm

I'm using chrome 35.0.01916 on Windows XP (yes I know is now discontinued)

It's really dificult to change pages, sometimes the next, previous rows disapear and seems like I need have the original zoom in order to watch them. I have tried with PageUp/pageDown keys as suggested previously, some times work, sometimes not.

Most of times when I apply a zoom over the page, the second page in the screen (I mean the right side one) losses the left border (a border next the division between both pages) So fragments of images or even text are lost.

Sometimes when zooming, the text is blurred and never focus (regularly I wait a pair of seconds and focus automatically, cache issues)

Later I will try on a Windows 7 system.
Andres Reynoso

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » June 17th, 2014, 11:48 pm

All seems OK for me using Firefox on a Windows 7x64 box. However I am not seeing some issues. E.g., I see all of 2013 and 2014, but then nothing going back until 1950. Then I see all of the 1950 and prior issues.

How do I get to the issues from 1951 through 2012?

Thank you.

Jim

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 17th, 2014, 11:56 pm

J-Mac wrote:How do I get to the issues from 1951 through 2012?

Thank you.

Jim

Richard has already noted that the other issues are in process of being uploaded.

Return to “Buzz”