An Honest Liar

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
P.T.Widdle

An Honest Liar

Postby P.T.Widdle » June 10th, 2014, 12:35 pm

Will Genii be doing anything on this film? A Randi interview?

http://anhonestliar.com/wp/

P.T.Widdle

Re: An Honest Liar

Postby P.T.Widdle » June 11th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Has Randi ever been on the cover of Genii? The release of this movie would seem to be a good time for it.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » June 12th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Is there something I'm missing here? Is Randi not liked or cared about on this forum?
This film seems like a big event for a living legend of a magician. No one from Genii cares to respond?

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » June 12th, 2014, 5:04 pm

There was not much of a response when the subject was brought up last October, either.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » June 12th, 2014, 5:21 pm

If you are interested in The Amazing Randi, here is a 3 hour interview, held at the Magic Castle and conducted by Max Maven.
PART ONE
PART TWO

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 12th, 2014, 6:06 pm

the comments on those videos are tragic.

youtube comments are the most depressing thing on the internet.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » June 12th, 2014, 6:42 pm

Those are great videos.

Still curious if Randi ever made the cover of Genii (I'd check the archive myself, but I'm waiting to renew to the new digital only subscription).

Also curious if the film will be covered in some respect for an upcoming Genii - interviews with film makers? Randi? Genii staff care to chime in?

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » July 22nd, 2014, 11:46 am

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » July 22nd, 2014, 11:59 am

Would Randi be on the cover of GENII? Or is he annoyed that Uri Gellar was the star attraction of the GENII convention a couple of years ago?

Also - is that the reason Jamy Ian Swiss left? I imagine he wasn't too happy about that either.

Personally I am not bothered about Uri Gellar getting recognised.

I am an atheist myself - but unlike Dawkins and the rest of them - I don't make a religion out of it.
Last edited by Joe Mckay on July 22nd, 2014, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 22nd, 2014, 12:33 pm

mrgoat wrote:the comments on those videos are tragic.

youtube comments are the most depressing thing on the internet.

There's always snark and bluster. It's up to you to post something you feel is more appropriate.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 22nd, 2014, 4:05 pm

I have had it. I’ve been holding this in for a long time. I’ve said it privately to several people, but I cannot hold it in anymore. Consequences be damned: Anyone—and I mean anyone—who maintains that Richard Kaufman or Genii did a disservice by having Geller appear at the Genii Bash is stupid. And I don’t give a good rat’s backside what your station in magic is. I’ll say it again: You are stupid. And I can prove it.

In the 1980s, Uri Geller appeared on a magic show performing magic with what appeared to be a magic prop.

Some 20 years or so later he was presented an award bearing the name of one of the greatest magicians ever, David Berglas, by that very man. This took place at a magician’s convention in the UK.

In 2009, Geller agrees to appear on the cover of a magician’s magazine—Genii—wherein the entire text of the Berglas-Geller interview is printed. In that interview he states, quite clearly, that as a youth he “invented” a way to bend spoons. (Someone “gifted” with psychokinetic power would not need to “invent” anything. Do Geller’s detractors pick up on this? No they do not. They'd rather attack Berglas for giving out the award and Genii for reporting the news. Proof number one.)

Not long after that he appeared at an Italian magician’s convention where he spoke.

That appearance led Mr. Kaufman to ask Geller to appear at the Genii Bash. So, for the first time in the USA, Geller appeared at a magician’s convention where—more than once—he spoke the words “We’re all adults here; we know what’s going on.” Do his detractors—one of whom is present—pick up on that? No. Instead, he is so blinded by his fury for Richard Kaufman that he downplays this statement as a non-admission. I know this for a fact because he said as much to me. (Proof number two.)

But apparently that isn’t good enough for the Geller detractors. They want Geller to flat out state, “I’m a magician.” Those detractors are stupid if they think that the man will ever say that. (Proof number three.)

So, what do these detractors do? Do they use these events as evidence that Geller is nothing more than a magician? No they do not. (Proof number four.)

They instead go after the very people who put Geller into these situations where—through his actions and statements—he all but admits that he is a magician. Daniels, Berglas, Rolfo, Kaufman: these are the “bad guys” in the pathetic minds of these self-appointed intellectual giants.

Those four men absolutely exposed Geller’s jugular for them and instead of attacking it—instead of using a combination of all of these actions and events against Geller—they attack the men who put him there. (Wrap up of the proof).

And I am very disappointed in all of them. I used to think that they were smart.

It turns out that—in this regard—they are stupid.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » July 22nd, 2014, 4:28 pm

Martin Gardner was one of my heroes.

But I wish he had never bothered with his endless writings on fake psychics and paranormal frauds.

It was such an utter waste of energy. For a start - very few believers in these fields ever give up their delusions.

But more importantly - chasing after these dragons is a waste of people's time and effort.

It may be do some good for the world. But much more good can be done by trying to help people in other ways.

I mean - if there efforts were spent trying to combat radical Islam or something that directly kills people it might be of some worth. But going after psychics and the silly old women that believe in that crap is a waste of time.

Why not devote your life to telling teenage girls to stop listening to rubbish like Justin Bieber and instead check out Guns N' Roses? Even something as silly as that would be a better use of your time than trying to convince low IQ people to stop being stupid.

The problem with stupid people is that even when you point out their stupidity in one area - they will soon find ten other ways of being stupid to replace it.

It really saddens me that a great man like Martin Gardner could waste so much time on such pointless minutiae. Particularly when there was ultimately very little to show for it. Except for a bunch of books that will only ever be read by the very people who don't need to read them.

My overall impression of a lot of these characters is an earnest desire to be recognised as smart and a ceaseless search to be right - on everything.. And going after low IQ dupes is the best way that have found of boosting their egos.

Why not spend time convincing professional sports people that ice baths are a complete waste of time? In those cases - it is information taken on blind faith which is both wrong and actually causes some physical discomfort. That is more harm than most psychics ever cause.

Or how about campaigning to put an end to the circumcision of men in America? That is BS as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCSWbTv3hng

Is that Justin Bieber I can hear being played next door? I'm a gonna' go round and convince this family to stop their daughter wasting her life listening to this drek. And then I'm gonna' write books on how dumb his music is.

And another book.

And then another.

And then start a magazine.

And another.

And then start a convention.

And another...

Joe Mckay

PS Anybody who dies of cancer after seeking treatment from a psychic healer and not a doctor is doing the gene pool a favour.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » July 22nd, 2014, 4:59 pm

I've been a Randi fan for decades. I look forward to seeing the film. Here are links to two reviews.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... iew-715950

http://www.jamesweggreview.org/Articles.aspx?ID=1747

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » July 22nd, 2014, 7:46 pm

Really, I just posted a link to an award the film got. For whatever reason, Genii has made it clear that Randi and this film will not be covered in the magazine. Oh, well, according to Dustin I suppose the reason is that he is a Geller "detractor" and therefore "stupid."

Anyway, I too have been a fan of the Amazing Randi for years. I think it's wonderful there is this film about him.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 22nd, 2014, 8:25 pm

You misunderstand: These folks have shunned Genii, not the other way around. If we did not want anyone to talk about the Randi film here, don't you think any threads about it would have been deleted?

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » July 22nd, 2014, 8:38 pm

I had a chance brief encounter with Randi last week in Las Vegas. He is an extremely friendly and open person. We did not speak of mentalism or religion but rather what foods his doctor would allow him to eat. I would certainly hope there is no animus between him and the Genii gang over the Uri Geller appearance.

I once purchased a book written by Dunninger, believing it was a book on how to perform mentalism effects but was disappointed to find it was rather a collection of experiments one could conduct to test for telepathic abilities in people. Thinking about that, and I may be wrong, but i do not recollect any instance in which Dunninger ever openly stated that he was a magician performing tricks. I do not see animosity expressed toward Dunninger or his legacy in the manner I see it being expressed toward Geller.

Geller's appearance at the Genii convention was certainly a de facto admission of his status as a magician and not a "true psychic," if there is such a person. I do not understand the degree of hatred against him expressed by some, or the bitter criticism against Mr. Kaufman.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 22nd, 2014, 8:46 pm

Well Bill, they—Teller, Swiss, Randi, et al—all remain very unhappy that Uri Geller appeared at the Genii Bash. To them, Genii, so by extension Richard Kaufman, "showed support to a sociopath" so therefore cannot support Genii.

And I have said enough (if not too much).

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 22nd, 2014, 9:45 pm

I dig the soulful way Uri communes with his mega-crystal. :ugeek:

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » July 22nd, 2014, 9:46 pm

Teller, Swiss, Randi - Those are some pretty great names. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them as "stupid."

"Geller's appearance at the Genii convention was certainly a de facto admission of his status as a magician and not a "true psychic"..."

Gellar appearing at a magic convention meant absolutely nothing to all of his followers because they didn't even know about it. Even if they did, as Penn & Teller have pointed out, it doesn't matter to them. They would still think he was psychic. Thats' why P&T stopped doing seances.

"I do not understand... the bitter criticism against Mr. Kaufman."

I think it's perfectly within one's ethical rights to question Richard's decision to invite Gellar to the convention as the featured guest. This debate was covered well in another thread.

This thread is about celebrating the Amazing Randi and the movie about him. I am grateful to the editors of Genii for allowing it. Maybe they can also see past their hurt feelings about being "shunned" to act like professional magic journalists and cover Randi's movie release (and maybe even this whole debate) in the print magazine.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 22nd, 2014, 11:23 pm

No one has had their "feelings hurt."

Though not a hard and fast rule, generally it would be helpful if a subject of an event or story is willing to participate in its coverage.

"Stupid is as stupid does." —Forrest Gump

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » July 23rd, 2014, 12:11 am

I sort of feel like a teenager caught in the middle between friends who don't like each other. I like Penn. I drove 600 miles to Las Vegas to participate in the filming of his Bacon and Doughnut party. I am also an admirer of Amazing Randi, and felt honored to meet him. I would be excited to see him honored in Genii but I see no way for that to happen as long as he distances himself from the publication and Richard.

I believe they are wrong to shun Genii over the Geller thing. I don't believe they have thought the whole thing through very well. I missed the last Bash, but nothing short of total incapacitation will keep me from the next one.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 23rd, 2014, 2:03 am

P.T.Widdle wrote:Gellar appearing at a magic convention meant absolutely nothing to all of his followers because they didn't even know about it. Even if they did, as Penn & Teller have pointed out, it doesn't matter to them.

It wouldn't mean a thing to Geller's followers if Geller admitted he was a fraud. History bears this out as fact (think Margaret Fox).

True believers will always be true believers and they should not be the target audience of debunkers. And neither should those who already know that paranormal hooey is just that. Either of those would be a stupid waste of time.

The target is the undecided; the unsure; the "agnostic" if you will. The fence-sitters who might be open to hearing things like "Uri Geller went to a magician's convention and lectured to them saying, 'We're all adults here, we know what's going on.' That's an admission that he is just a magician." And that he received an award from a magician and talked about the method he "invented" for bending spoons.

That's pretty persuasive evidence, brought to you by Berglas and Kaufman. Those bastards!

So to get to the subject of the thread:

When the film makes it to DVD, I will probably buy it—because, believe it or not, I like James Randi (and Penn & Teller, and Jamy Ian Swiss, et al) a lot—and will review it for Genii.

AJM

Postby AJM » July 23rd, 2014, 2:34 am

"He is the true Messiah - and I should know, I've followed a few...."

Diego

Postby Diego » July 23rd, 2014, 3:17 am

Yay Dustin! If this was Facebook, I would click a LIKE to your post!
If my schedule had permitted, I would have gone to the Genii Bash for no other reason but to hear Uri Gellar, which I have only heard praise from those who heard/saw him.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Geller, it was an OPPORTUNITY to hear and interact with an important figure in the mystical/magical world, as well as the greater pop-culture of his generation.

Interesting to note about Dunninger: While a number of magicians had their criticism about him, (some very vocal like Richard Himber) despite Dunninger's stance that he DID, "Read thoughts", (despite other disclaimers he qualified himself with) many, (including Randi!) have mostly given him a pass, unlike Kreskin and other mentalist/psychic performers. Perhaps in regards and affection to his stronger connection to magic and friendship with Houdini and others of his era...who knows?

To insult someone by saying they are of a, "lower gene pool", because they sought the help of a psychic healer is unthinking, uncaring, and ignorant of their situation.
Because of some people's religious, social upbringing, healing based on faith or other magical thinking, is the norm for them, (while futile/folly for outside observers). Keep in mind some were raised from childhood, being brought to see anything from séances to faith healers, thinking this is what families did.
When doctor's tell someone, their condition has very few or no options for treatment
and to go home, too often that causes some to seek other options they didn't consider before. Just as a person in a desperate financial condition will suddenly start playing the lottery for the first time, because NOTHING else is available, those with desperate/untreatable health problems will start seeking something that MIGHT work, even though the odds seemed as unlikely before.
Another unfortunate matter is that many have not the knowledge, access, or money/coverage to properly address their situation. Before anyone tries to dismiss those I've described as uneducated/ignorant bumpkins, keep in mind the smart/rich/famous people who despite themselves, went to quack clinics in Mexico, Philippines, etc. or sought different healers, gurus, of all kinds, in their last days.

Are the sincere, the desperate, the vulnerable, the hopeless, of lower gene pool? NO.
But the predators who take their money and lives......

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » July 23rd, 2014, 10:09 am

Wow Dustin, what a spin you're putting on the Gellar appearance.

So now Genii was helping to debunk the famous professional psychic that the world knows Gellar to be by giving him an award and standing ovations so that "agnostics" will know (wink, wink) that his whole career up to this point was actually that of "the greatest living close-up magician of the 20th century?" What a service you provided!

As you say, never mind the "true believers," - they're hopeless and not worth reaching, right? But those fence-sitters now know what the deal is, thanks to Genii! By the way, do you think any of those fence-sitters were the relatives of the people on the missing Malaysian jet that Gellar claimed (sorry, hoped) to be able to find through his psychic powers?

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 23rd, 2014, 2:59 pm

[Head in hand}
No, you are the one spinning. That is NOT what I said. I said, at those events (brought to you by Berglas, Kaufman, etc.), Geller himself supplied evidence that COULD very easily be used by the debunkers but they have (as you even stated) chosen not to for reasons passing understanding.

You and they say that him going to a magician's convention doesn't help their case. That's just nonsense, and instead of using all of these things that I have pointed out--that pretty much everyone here understands but you (and your boys)--they instead go after Berglas, Genii, and Kaufman.

But who am I kidding? Clearly you don't get--and don't want to get--the points I have made. So hack away. Purposely misinterpret what I wrote again to make your case. I don't give a [censored] anymore.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 23rd, 2014, 3:51 pm

To Jamy Ian Swiss, Teller, Mr. Randi (et al),

I want to make something clear. I have called you “stupid.” I did say “in this regard,” but that still might be too strong. I really do not believe you are, in fact, “stupid.” But I think, in this regard, you are acting stupidly.

You all would make really lousy politicians. What you are doing is, instead of going after what your opponent said during a speech on a TV network, going after that network for carrying the speech while ignoring the ammunition dished up for you during that speech.

Berglas gives him a magician’s award and Geller accepts. Instead of saying, “Geller admits he’s a magician by accepting a magician’s award,” you grouse about Berglas giving Geller the award. And you complain about a magazine cover while ignoring the admission that he "invented a method" for bending spoons. That tells me you probably didn't read the article to search for such potent ammunition that was there for the taking. Stupid.

A room full of magicians give a very talented magician two standing ovations giving you the opportunity to say, “Geller accepts his ovations from a room of fellow magicians.” And you ignore the tacit admission, “We’re all adults here, we know what’s going on” … why? It’s not strong enough for you! That makes you weak. And instead you go after the man who put him there. Stupid.

You are SO pissed off at Geller that you are pissed off at anyone who puts Geller into any kind of light where he might (and did!) expose himself! That’s acting stupidly.

“Geller is a sociopath. If you put him in your convention, on your magazine, or give him an award, you support him.” Hmmm…

Do you not believe the best way to understand a sociopath is to hear him speak (and then use his words against him)?

How many law enforcement officials would give their left nut to hear Manson, Bundy, or any other number of serial criminals speak? The more they speak, the more they expose. FBI profilers understand that concept, why don’t you? It’s the same thing; after all, a sociopath is a sociopath. So do they “support” the sociopath for wanting to hear him speak? And then do they go after the conduit (in the case of Manson, I believe it was “60 Minutes”) for giving him a platform? No, they do not. That’s because they are not acting stupidly—in this regard.

I am done now. I have had my say and then some. I have no doubt that (if you actually read this) you are all unhappy with me now. That's fine. I just ask one thing: please use the intellect that I know you have to work and at least consider what I have said here. Don't just ignore it.

Thank you,
Dustin Stinett
(My real name.)

AJM

Postby AJM » July 23rd, 2014, 4:08 pm

Oh dear, oh dear...

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 23rd, 2014, 4:14 pm

working on an item about cognitive invisibility ... tempting to cite this dialog.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » July 23rd, 2014, 5:47 pm

Respectfully Dustin, your FBI/police analogy is really weird. If you want to go there, then what seems more correct is that Gellar/Manson was invited to speak as the guest of honor at a police convention. While there he admitted to not really being a murderer but rather a nuanced police officer (thinking he was doing the world some good). He receives ovations from all the police officers in attendance, and afterwards, the Chief of Police calls him the greatest living police officer of the 20th century.

As far as 60 minutes, some might consider it questionable journalism to provide that sociopath with a platform to speak. Should every mass murderer get that spotlight?

You not only gave the sociopath a platform, but celebrated him. Now you're backpedaling after his slimy Malaysian plane stunt.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 23rd, 2014, 6:29 pm

P.T.Widdle wrote:As far as 60 minutes, some might consider it questionable journalism to provide that sociopath with a platform to speak. Should every mass murderer get that spotlight?

[Sigh] If only you knew what were talking about. That interview has been, and is still, used in FBI training (as recent as 2012's Looking Behind the Mask by Mary Ellen O’Toole, Ph.D.; Matt Logan, Ph.D.; and Sharon Smith, Ph.D.). They love it when criminals speak regardless of the "platform." They make a point of learning from such opportunities.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » July 23rd, 2014, 7:29 pm

Yes, Dustin [Sigh] I suppose I'm just not in the know of FBI training methods used by people with lots of PH.Ds.
So I guess that makes you the FBI agent here. How sneaky of you to book your "criminal" to speak at a law enforcement convention, just to gain valuable info about how the criminal works. Well done.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » July 23rd, 2014, 9:33 pm

Dustin, I just thought you might want to be reminded of something you said in another thread about Gellar.

"We're all adults here. We know what's going on." —Uri Geller
Like it f-ing matters.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 23rd, 2014, 10:10 pm

It doesn't matter because--when I said it, and still--not one of the primary debunkers will use it.

So I'm glad we agree.

Are you done yet? Because I am and I will be locking this beat-to-death thread soon. So get your last word in ASAP.

And I will review the Randi film when/if it is released on DVD.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » July 23rd, 2014, 10:19 pm

Return to “Buzz”