Blaine's first live theatre show ?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Blaine's first live theatre show ?

Postby CraigMitchell » May 28th, 2014, 8:20 am

http://www.thinkflash.ae/events/david-b ... r-illusion

David Blaine appears to be launching his first live stage theatre show in Abu Dhabi

"David Blaine, a world renowned illusionist and endurance makes his Middle Eastern debut in Abu Dhabi. Blaine is best known for his high-profile feats of endurance, and has made his name as a performer of street and close-up illusion. Each full-length show will feature life-threatening feats, with a death defying grand finale."

Anyone have any additional insights ?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Blaine's first live theatre show ?

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 28th, 2014, 5:03 pm

I'll believe it when I see it.

Why do you think he would go to the opposite end of the earth and open a show that most of his fans will never be able to see?

Has Blaine ever done a single live performance for a large group that consisted of more than a few tricks?

Sounds like baloney to me. When I look back at all the projects that have been announced for rich Arab countries that were never built, I foresee this as joining those fanciful projects/
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » May 29th, 2014, 3:44 am

A likely scenario is that what Blaine has promised the promoter ( think motivational talk ) and what the promoter is selling to the public ( theatre show ) - are two different things.

However, as strange as the whole thing is - this is now the second occasion I've heard of a 'stage presentation' ... two months ago, Blaine was apparently being shopped to other concert promoters - one being a prominent live show promoter here in SA who was scouting 4000 seat arenas.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 29th, 2014, 11:10 am

There was talk of Blaine doing a live theater show a dozen years ago, and also within the past several years a rumor of something on Broadway. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. AND, if it does come to pass, I hope it's excellent because a rising tide lifts all boats. Any show that is good magic is good for the craft.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 11th, 2014, 10:42 am

Blaine's Arab show is getting plenty of coverage in the UAE along with promotions in Emirates in flight magazine ... tix are on sale:

http://www.ticketmaster.ae/event/david- ... ckets/2415

"Each full-length show will feature life-threatening feats, with a death defying grand finale."

Criss Angel is also headed to the UAE later this year for an arena show.

http://www.emirates247.com/entertainmen ... 3-1.555320

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 11th, 2014, 11:47 am

I guess I'll have to believe it if they're selling tickets! Anyone living in Abu Dhabi want to write a review?

Arnaud

Postby Arnaud » July 11th, 2014, 2:37 pm

Guys,

Living in Dubai and being around the corner from Abu Dhabi, let me take over Craig's role of magicians most favorite live-performance reviewer. Am sure Mr Blaine will appreciate that.

I will report back in a couple of weeks,

Arnaud

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 12th, 2014, 6:21 am

@arnaud - such responsibility you have ;-)

But in all seriousness - we'd love to get your thoughts and details on the show especially seeing it to be David's first 'real' theatre performance ( although my hunch is that it will be similar to his previous corporate talks punctuated with a few more demonstrations )

And then just because we love you - you can enjoy Criss' stadium spectacular a few months later!

Arnaud

Postby Arnaud » July 12th, 2014, 7:14 am

And then Illusionists 2.0 coming end September....

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 15th, 2014, 8:03 am

Blaine's tour now includes The Philippines

http://www.philstar.com/entertainment/2 ... ine-coming

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 15th, 2014, 11:14 am

Isn't it odd to go to the Philippines for just one show?

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » July 15th, 2014, 11:36 am

It's just the first date to be announced rather than the sum total of the entire tour....
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 15th, 2014, 12:23 pm

I understand that ... my query was meant to be: why do only one show in the Philippines?

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » July 15th, 2014, 12:29 pm

It is a 16,000 seater (@ average $30-$70/seat); in one performance he can hit more tickets than most vegas shows do in a week so financially a single performance stacks up quite well

Again, though, this is simply the first date to be announced rather than the entire list of performances in that part of the world.

thomasmoorecreative

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 15th, 2014, 12:38 pm

16,000 seats?

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » July 15th, 2014, 5:07 pm

the venue for the one (announced) performance - it's an arena not a local theatre; so just one performance in there produces more ticket sales than a week of Copperfield or P&T's shows (or a whole month of Angel's :lol: ) do in vegas; Even if this was the one and only performance in all of asia it's still $1/2m of ticket revenue which more than covers the costs of the show.

thomasmoorecreative

Herb

Postby Herb » July 24th, 2014, 1:41 am

David Blaine performed a live show last week at an event for Microsoft's interns. Some photos and video from the event are part of a blog item I put together at:

http://www.herbsmagic.com/magic-in-new- ... tern-event

Arnaud

Postby Arnaud » August 23rd, 2014, 2:15 am

Who: David Blaine
When: 22 August 2014
Where: Emirates Palace, Abu Dabhi, United Arab Emirates (UAE)

OK, on special request by many of you here my report on David Blaine's first live theatre show. In fact this was his second performance, it started the day before. As per David's own tweet next stops are Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Manila. The show is put together by Michael Weber, who in Abu Dabhi also played a major part in the show.

First of all, audience in UAE seems to be very magic-minded. That was clear when last year I went to see 'The Illusionists'. On top of that summer season in this part of the world is in deep lack of entertainment, so it was no surprise to see that this beautiful 1100-seat Theatre at The Emirates Palace was fully sold out.

I really enjoyed the show - and yes I am hard to please. Knowing David as an introvert performer the big question to me was if 'it' would work live, in such a big room. The good thing is that he made no attempts to be anyone else than he is, and stayed within his own style. The show was deepy leaning on his last TV special 'Real or Magic'.

So what did we see?
The show started with some clips from his TV shows, after this David walked on stage, doing Fire and Water spouting as we saw on the special. Nice fun opening.

Next he stepped in the audience doing some card tricks ending with a card transposition routine on stage. Well received by the enthusiastic audience.

This was followed by a jigsaw puzzle piece prediction, what I think is known as the Mona Lisa Trick. The puzzle represented a map of the world and the missing piece was (of course) exactly covering Abu Dabhi.

The invisible touch routine as we also saw on his last special was done next, and he concluded this section of the show with his ice pick routine, with the impacting ice pick through hand as climax. In my short research on this I came across Mirin Dajo an unknown (to me) Dutch guy (yes I am Dutch) who did something similar with swords. David's choice to do it with his hands is a smart move as this guy one became 36 years old and died of an aortic puncture.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear David introduce Michael Weber. Michael first announced Salah - from France - who performed a mime act. Next Michael did a clever 3-stage prediction routine, where a name, number and drawing were revealed one-by-one.

The show ended with David performing his 'Holding-my-breath-under-water' routine. I refer to his Ted Talk on this topic for those that have an ambition to do this.

The show ended after he managed to stay under water for 10 minutes, with David - out of breath - thanking all with a few words. I felt this was a bit of an odd ending, and he did not do justice to his show and himself. The audience was confused if it was over, and when they understood they had to leave, David appeared from in between the curtains to wave goodbye. This may need some better staging.

All in all I enjoyed it. It was somewhat short, I guess 85 minutes. I decided the skip the 600$ backstage meet-and-greet, but rest assured I will spend this money wisely on a meet-and-greet with my wife.

Magic season has started here in the UAE. Next are the Illusionsists 2.0 and Criss Angel in the coming weeks. I guess magic producers have discovered this region to be very magic and entertainment hungry, so let the magic come!
Last edited by Arnaud on August 23rd, 2014, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 23rd, 2014, 11:20 am

it is my understanding that a commercially released trick wherein one places a needle like skewer through the palm was offered prior to 1990.

it came with the needle and a pageof instructions consisting of an outline drawing of the hand with an x marking the spot through which the magician should thrust the needle.

I was told this by a magician who purchased but never performed this effect.

can anyone confirm this? I know one other magician who saw this item as purchased by the magician mentioned, but do not recall the name nor have I found an example.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 23rd, 2014, 11:56 am

I saw David Blaine do the needle through hand many years ago when he did an appearance at a local bookstore in Virginia--this must have been when his book Mysterious Stranger came out. Can't remember the date.

The needle through hand was pretty incredible.

I guess that all of this work on a stage show in far-flung places is a way to work it in and eventually bring it to Broadway.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 23rd, 2014, 2:04 pm

Thanks Arnaud !

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 24th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Return to “Buzz”