Magician on Britian's Got Talent

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
David Hawkins

Magician on Britian's Got Talent

Postby David Hawkins » April 21st, 2014, 11:19 am

Amazing Canadian magician Darcy Oake appeared on the UK talent show Britain's Got Talent and wowed the judges and UK public with a brilliant dove act. Simon Cowell said Darcy was the best magician that had been on the show. Fingers crossed he makes it to the live final. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO_KyTtJg10&sns=em
David Hawkins
107 Butts Hill Road
Reading
RG5 4NT
UK

(44) 7850740557

Djhawkins@btinternet.com

MManchester

Re: Magician on Britian's Got Talent

Postby MManchester » April 21st, 2014, 9:14 pm

Likely the most coverage magic has received here in Canada for some time. But I wish it wasn't a dove act. I don't favor the use of animals in entertainment because there's too much potential for abuse no matter how unintentional it might be. Especially true when multiple birds are involved. And the human health risks can also be severe.

Magic must be due for a real renaissance when his act is considered amazing and wows the judges. He's young, attractive and charismatic, but I feel it was a rote performance. He was just interviewed on the CBC and the interviewer went so far as to describe it as "extraordinary." Admittedly the concluding production was a real surprise if a somewhat odd choice for a dove act.

Saw a Dan and Dave interview where they said they were close to buying a book on dove magic until someone more experienced got them into cards. Can't imagine them achieving the same level of success.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » April 21st, 2014, 10:28 pm

I thought he did well all things considered. Very glad to see the final production instead of the typical vanishing cage. I just wish the clip also included the judges' feedback and voting.

[Dan and Dave and Doves = Dovestry? Birdistry? Fine feathered flourishing? "And here's one we call the 'Beak Tweak with Fantail Finish' "]

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 21st, 2014, 11:41 pm

The "typical" vanishing cage is Channing Pollock's. Used by just about everyone with no permission by the originator, and manufactured without permission.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 22nd, 2014, 11:43 am

I like Darcy's act. He has a great look, and the ending surprised me.

Lest anyone forget, the first and my favorite dove act to deviate nicely and colorfully from the classic acts of Channing and Lance was Greg Frewin's. Very clever, original bits such as the juggling balls to doves. And he was the first I saw to close with the "production" similar to Darcy's.

Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g93u7TmnwLU

Given my being familiar with Greg's act, Darcy's ending fooled me all the more.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 22nd, 2014, 3:15 pm

Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 22nd, 2014, 4:26 pm

Now that Simon Cowell is interested can we expect a boy band version: four young guys producing doves in synch to bad music?

My only magic criticism of the act: he shouldn't have taken his jacket off (illogical) and the girls dress should have been white (like the doves)--though a girl dressed as a giant dove would have been funnier.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » April 22nd, 2014, 5:14 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The "typical" vanishing cage is Channing Pollock's. Used by just about everyone with no permission by the originator, and manufactured without permission.

Did Channing build his own cage or did he have some builder make it?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 22nd, 2014, 6:28 pm

I recall Walter Sheppard discussin the pollack cage. he and Channing were Chavez students together. Walter had one of the cages. The bars were made from tape measures.

part of me wants to say Walter may have built it for Channing. But that may be the fog of memory.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » April 22nd, 2014, 6:37 pm

Steve - the doves to girl cage is called "Gemini Cage" and I'm fairly sure it pre-dates Greg's prop. Gemini cage was a Ken Whitaker creation which immediately pushes it back to the early 90's.

Likewise colouring doves is a very old idea - the Ian Adair "Encyclopedia of Dove Magic" has whole chapters devoted to how to colour doves and various effect ideas.

Greg's act was the first high-profile "modern" dove act certainly but it was his staging and phrasing that was new and exciting rather than his props.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » April 23rd, 2014, 1:50 am

Bob Farmer wrote: ... and the girls dress should have been white

Looks white to me.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 23rd, 2014, 9:40 am

Looks yellow to me.

Alternate ending: five little people appear dressed as doves, jump off the table and scurry around.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » April 23rd, 2014, 11:39 am

Bob Farmer wrote:Alternate ending: five little people appear dressed as doves, jump off the table and scurry around.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » April 23rd, 2014, 11:47 am

Valentino (back in his "i want to be lance burton" days) ended his dove act with a gemini cage producing a girl in a 1940's designer dress that was dove-esc. I realise written down it sounds quite kitsch but it did work rather well and made a kind of magical sense.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 23rd, 2014, 12:17 pm

didn't greg frewin begin as part of double vision with Jason Byrne? if we are lauding one, should we not be recognizing the other?

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » April 23rd, 2014, 1:08 pm

Greg Frewin ended his dove act by walking forward with the covered cage, lowering it to the floor, lifting the cover away and revealing his assistant. Stunning.

I caught his show a couple of years ago in Niagara Falls and he didn't include the dove act which is a pity as it is the best thing I've seen him do.

Murray Hatfield

Postby Murray Hatfield » April 23rd, 2014, 4:42 pm

Greg created and built his incredible cage to girl (on a bare stage, away from all props) in 1994. One of it's first appearances was as the close to his act on my Canadian Tour Dec. 94/Jan.95.

Not sure of the actual creation date of the Gemini Cage but it's also an excellent end to a dove routine.

Yes Greg and Jason started out as Double Vision but the Vanishing Bird Cage to Girl Production came long after they ended their work together.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 23rd, 2014, 7:23 pm

"Rote" this act may be, but the looks of awe on the judges faces just confirm the fact that the average spectator generally responds well to live animal acts.

Some of it may be due to a natural affinity many people have for animals, but I also think people recognize on some level that it's a lot easier to gaff that deck of cards than it is to gimmick up a bird. (David Harkey's Genii "abomination" not withstanding)

I suspect this contestant's problem is going to be the oft-stated criticism of BGT/AGT magicians from the judges: "You have to go bigger!" Unfortunately, that sometimes leads some performers out of their comfort zones, with suboptimal results.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 23rd, 2014, 7:36 pm

based on everything I have heard from people who have worked in that show, both as contestants and in production, the reactions on the judges faces as well as the oohing and awwing were most likely added in post. for someone whose act has zero applause cues he sure does manage to hit every single beat and get every ideal response at exactly the right moment --- the producers must like him. The clip is well edited and shot. I would live to see it play in a real theater filled with real people.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 23rd, 2014, 7:41 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:based on everything I have heard from people who have worked in that show, both as contestants and in production, the reactions on the judges faces as well as the oohing and awwing were most likely added in post. for someone whose act has zero applause cues he sure does manage to hit every single beat and get every ideal response at exactly the right moment --- the producers must like him. The clip is well edited and shot. I would live to see it play in a real theater filled with real people.

I stand corrected--the editing sure made it look impressive. I wonder if the judges really liked it at all. (I suppose they must have since he apparently passed along)

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » April 23rd, 2014, 9:29 pm

erdnasephile wrote:"Rote" this act may be, but the looks of awe on the judges faces just confirm the fact that the average spectator generally responds well to live animal acts.

This plays well because the creation of life is the strongest of all magical effects.

This is somewhat of a paradox, as all around us life is created naturally, thousands of times each day.

If only the doctors in the delivery room would incorporate the use of flash paper.

Then they would really have something.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 24th, 2014, 7:09 am

Brad Jeffers wrote:
If only the doctors in the delivery room would incorporate the use of flash paper.

Then they would really have something.

My baby is due in July and I keep thinking about how I could surrupticiously get 'mouth' coils, spring flowers, flags of the world etc up there during contractions.

:D

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » April 24th, 2014, 9:11 am

This guy is very good.
Last edited by Andrew Martin Portala on April 24th, 2014, 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 24th, 2014, 12:24 pm

the judges may have liked it. My point was that there is no reality in reality TV. What we see is seldom actually what happened, when it happened.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » April 24th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Different type of "Reality" show but here's the straight poop from someone who's been there, done that;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bustle/i- ... 23714.html

Just in case anyone still believes any of this stuff has any relationship with real reality.

JMD

Return to “Buzz”