Ricky Jay on The Tonight Show March 31

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Denis Behr

Re: Ricky Jay on The Tonight Show March 31

Postby Denis Behr » April 5th, 2014, 4:44 am

The short paragraph in the second edition is located HERE.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » April 5th, 2014, 5:06 am

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » April 5th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Denis Behr wrote:The short paragraph in the second edition is located HERE.

Thanks Denis.

I searched through the book for about an hour without being able to locate that paragraph.

Unlike Racherbaumer, I am not surprised that it was overlooked. It's almost impossible to find even when you know it's there! :)

And as Tom Frame pointed out, the description is incorrect.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 5th, 2014, 12:34 pm

Carlo Morpurgo wrote:
Brad Henderson wrote:there is a difference between that which we learn and how we incorporate those lessons.

I contend my 'rule' still holds true.

"The bees plunder the flowers here and there, but afterward they make of them honey, which is all theirs; it is no longer thyme or marjoram. Even so with the pieces borrowed from others; he will transform and blend them to make a work of his own, to wit, his judgment. His education, work, and study aim only at forming this."

-- Michel de Montaigne

super great

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » April 5th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Thank you, Jon, for the information about The Jonah Ploys.
Just got it. Love it.

cheers!

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 5th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Thanks to Brad Henderson, I need to clarify my clarification. Brad has sent me a method, which will now be included in the book, The Bammo Ten Card Deal Dossier (remember that title), where the spectator picks the ten cards, you deal them out as in the Ricky Jay version, and you still get a Royal Flush.

JFox

Postby JFox » April 8th, 2014, 10:21 pm

My earlier previous post stated, as an aside, that Ricky's Jay's routine on the Tonight Show - was not the same method & routine as the "Ten Card Deal", from Phoenix #168 & #170.

However,watching the "A Correctly Structured Drama" video clip (posted on this thread)...it appears that the winning poker deals that Ricky did for the various spectators - was very likely based on the Phoenix's published "Ten Card Deal";or at least, one would be able to achieve the same repeated winning hands over & over again, no matter how much the spectator mixed the cards throughout the dealing process...that is, the spectator can continuously mix the cards throughout the routine - AFTER he has dealt down the first two cards. The magi will always win.

None the less, I eagerly await the up-coming booklet from Bob Farmer.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » April 9th, 2014, 12:30 am

Jon Racherbaumer wrote:...it (and so much more) will be included in Bob Farmer’s gigantic, stupendous magnum opus devoted to the Ten-Card Poker Deal.
JFox wrote:... I eagerly await the up-coming booklet from Bob Farmer.

Okay, which is it?
A gigantic, stupendous, magnum opus ...
or a booklet :?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 9th, 2014, 12:50 am

I hold in my hand the manuscript for Bob's book. IT'S HUGE. I wouldn't even call it a book--it's an encyclopedic work.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 9th, 2014, 12:37 pm

A small correction: yes the book is huge, around 355 pages--but it's not an encyclopedia. My intention was not to reprint every routine, it was to print just the really good routines and ideas and to present them in a logical order with analysis and history thrown in.

However, there is an extensive reference list, so Ten-Card-Deal-a-holics can wallow around in there and find all kinds of stuff.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » April 16th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:A small correction: yes the book is huge, around 355 pages--but it's not an encyclopedia. My intention was not to reprint every routine, it was to print just the really good routines and ideas and to present them in a logical order with analysis and history thrown in.

However, there is an extensive reference list, so Ten-Card-Deal-a-holics can wallow around in there and find all kinds of stuff.

Love it! What are the next steps? Publisher? Photos/illustrations?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 16th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Proof reading and illustration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 16th, 2014, 7:22 pm

First proofing by Matt Field has been completed. Ilustrations should be completed by next week, so then Matt does one more quick run through and then I decide how to market it.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » May 16th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Jon Racherbaumer wrote:I also agree with Dustin. Over the years, I always considered my writings to be stimuli or trigger points or flash points or prods...so that readers could take over and let their imaginations go wild. I wanted to coax readers to think and open themselves up for discovery.

My next audio in Genii puts this elementary principle into a different "box" and permits one to predict the outcome, even when the spectator can make the initial choice. This of course will not and should not be the last word.

What still amazes me is that the original Jonah Card idea was published in CARD CONTROL and was largely overlooked or ignored...until Martin Gardner, Marlo, and others saw its possibilities....

Jon? Did you ever publish this idea? I couldn't find it in the May or June audio columns.

I just ordered Bob's book (sorry Bob for taking so long!) and am now researching this area of magic.

Return to “Buzz”