The April issue Of Genii is Now Live Online

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

The April issue Of Genii is Now Live Online

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 14th, 2014, 12:12 pm

The April issue of Genii is now live on line for computer users. It will be available by late tonight or tomorrow for tablet and smartphone viewing.

On our cover, the legendary Paul Daniels, who still keeps very busy. Our article by David Britland traces his life and career from the very beginning through his famous and long-running TV series, to today. The issue comes with a free DVD of excerpts from "Bravura," Paul's new four DVD set from the Essential Magic Collection. The digital edition contains so many videos I've lost count, but there are many and you'll enjoy them.
(Paper issue, with the DVD, went in the mail today.)

Also this month, Rob Zabrecky, reports on Derek Hughes’s new one-man show Insomnia, which is running in Hollywood. Hughes is always excellent, and Mr. Z knows him well. We have two video trailers for the show embedded in the digital issue.

Did you know that there is still magic being performed in Coney Island, in an ongoing show organized by Gary Dreifus, reported on by Carl Mercurio, and you don’t need to ride on the Cyclone to find it in our issue.

You don’t read a lot about female buskers. This issue Felice Ling, a busker herself, introduces us to a place most of us have not visited: being a single female performer on the street.

Joe M. Turner memorializes Aldo Colombini, who died suddenly of a stroke at age 62. Aldo was an extraordinarily well-liked magician who had a real gusto for life; condolences to his widow, Rachel Wild Colombini.

Eugene Burger talks about resetting your props with Jeff McBride--a subject dealt with too infrequently and of vital importance for the working pro (there’s a video in the digital edition)

Jim Steinmeyer keeps “Conjuring” with a very fine standup mental magic murder mystery done with the simplest of props … and brains.

Dani DaOrtiz cooks up a quick miracle ala Hofzinser in “DaOrtiz ala Carte!” (video in the digital edition). Don't be fooled by the apparent simplicity of this: watching the video will make you want to learn the trick!

Max Maven ensures that every spectator has ESP in his latest “Lost Horizons”

David Britland’s “Cardopolis” returns with the sequel to his January column, and a much more elaborate “Computer Deck”

The Academy of Magical Arts brings us “Knights at The Magic Castle” with regular writer Daniel Ulin back behind the keyboard, providing up-to-date behind-the-scenes scuttlebutt at what’s going on inside The Magic Castle. This month Daniel does a video interview for our digital edition with Mike Pisciotta, the resident magician downstairs at the Castle’s Hat & Hare Pub

John Gaughan’s “Chamber of Secrets” yields up the “Klingl Die to Canary”

Please listen to our audio columns from Max Maven and Jon Racherbaumer, both of which are lots of fun (Max pitches the upcoming AMA Awards show and Rock teaches a sneaky trick).

The issue ends with the trio of David Regal, Will Houstoun, and Joe M. Turner critiquing the latest tricks, books, and videos. Mr. Regal says: If you own “Vapr” you will want to produce smoke from this issue of Genii.

That's all folks! Read, watch, listen, and enjoy!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

JimW

Re: The April issue Of Genii is Now Live Online

Postby JimW » March 14th, 2014, 4:56 pm

I'm not able to play any of the audio or video links.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » March 14th, 2014, 8:22 pm

So far I've watched the Dani DaOrtiz video (he's such a highlight for me; I love that he's a regular columnist) and More Genii Speaks.

Note: All you Tenyo fans who have more than just China Surprise will definitely want to watch this installment of More Genii Speaks.

JimW, you might want to reboot your machine and try again, since the multimedia worked fine for me -- it's likely a problem on your end.

Richard, will the video someday be larger than postage stamp size? That'd be a welcome enhancement!

Off to listen to Max...
Last edited by Ted M on March 14th, 2014, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 14th, 2014, 8:35 pm

JimW, are you using a tablet or smartphone? Please note the first part of my announcement.

TedM: we will be switching to a new company in a few months with an improved interface and, hopefully, the videos will be larger when viewed on a computer.

JimW

Postby JimW » March 15th, 2014, 3:55 pm

I was logging in from my PC. For an hour or two none of the extra content would play, but I tried again later in the day and everything was there. Sorry, I should have posted an update after everything was available.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 16th, 2014, 3:25 am

I can not access the new issue. When I booted the app it showed the splash screen and then froze hard. Restarted the app, same. Restarted the iPad, same. Deleted and reloaded the app. Now it says my login is invalid. But I logged out and back in here with the same userid/password.

Is this a known issue?

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 17th, 2014, 3:08 am

Scratch that—I forgot that my igenii account uses my ask alexander userid and password.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 17th, 2014, 11:26 am

I never cease to be amazed at how many people (including the many phone calls and emails we get each day) from people who can't keep their usernames and passwords straight. That's why my instructions for iGenii say "WRITE IT DOWN."

Plese write down your passwords and usernames (except for websites involving financial transactions) and you won't have these problems.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » March 17th, 2014, 11:47 am

I use this fine (and free for home use) program to manage my passwords. Saves one from the insecurity of having p/w's written down.

https://lastpass.com/

Some of you might find it worth a try.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 17th, 2014, 2:35 pm

I did have my username and password written down, thank you very much. I just forgot that to access my igenii account, I have to use my ask alexander id and password, not my Genii Forum id and password.

If it's not too much trouble, some words to that effect (i.e. "remember to use your ask alexander userid and password, not your genii forum id and password") could be included on the sign-on screen of the app. Especially since, when the app fails, often the only solution is to delete and reinstall it, which loses the userid and password you previously entered.

MJE
Favorite Magician: Craig Karges

Postby MJE » March 18th, 2014, 11:07 pm

Richard-

I am SO glad to be back in the good graces of Genii! With moving halfaway across the country and trying to get biz going, I lost out big time. Mostly from forgetfulness.....heading fast to 60, ya' know? Jeez, I even missed the Bash that was only a short drive from our prior home!

So far, I've been devouring the online Genii and I eagerly look forward to my first paper issue next month. Richard, I mean no disrespect to what came before, but you have MADE this the best magic mag out there.

Thanks for a great product.

-MJ

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 18th, 2014, 11:18 pm

Thanks--tell your friends to subscribe!

MJE

Postby MJE » March 18th, 2014, 11:43 pm

Richard-

I'd be glad to if I had any. That may change soon, though. There's a "club" in my area. Hopefully, I'll hook up. I will certainly recommend Genii to anyone there.

Your comment, however, makes me curious. Are subscriptions down? I heard your comments on one issue about going fully digital within a decade. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that it's necessary to do it sooner.

I do enjoy getting magic stuff by mail (Real Secrets excluded, contrary to your loving it). I'm an IBM and SAM guy but, sadly, the magazines are pretty dull. Allen's mag.....well, it is what it is, and I kinda like it. Still, they are about magic. Although I love getting Genii by mail, I wouldn't mind reading it on my iPad only.

The only problem I've ever encountered is that the video and audio is often only available if an internet connection is available. That means that if my wife is driving, I can only read. Like that's a bad thing, right? Reading....ARRRRGHHHH!

I doubt that too many people would object if you went digital-only. The cost has got to be getting crazy for paper. Who knows what's next? Certainly the Internet isn't the end of tech. But it's not a bad place to start.

Thanks for responding, as little and promotional as it was. I get that. It's a hustle out there, and while I don't actually feel your pain, I get it if you want to be through with paper.

Thanks again, Richard.

-MJ

MJE

Postby MJE » March 18th, 2014, 11:53 pm

Richard-

OH! Maybe I should mention that besides being Prez of the IBM in Orlando, I was the guy to do the newsletter who caught all kinds of Hell for doing it by email only. Only had one guy who objected but, WOW, did he object. Didn't take long to convert everyone, though, Just sayin'....

Old dogs NEED to learn new tricks.

-MJ

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 19th, 2014, 11:05 am

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 19th, 2014, 11:45 am

All audio and video in the digital issue of Genii downloads to your iPad. You don't need to have an internet connection to view it.

We intend to keep doing a printed, hard copy edition of Genii for many years into the future.

MJE

Postby MJE » March 19th, 2014, 11:04 pm

Richard-

Yeah, it usually works. Not always.

Anyway, I'm just sayin' that Genii is a bargain as is. Digital only would not be a horrible thing.

Love to you and your family,

-MJ

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » March 19th, 2014, 11:57 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:We intend to keep doing a printed, hard copy edition of Genii for many years into the future.

Yay!

Paper magazine + searchable digital archive = best of all possible worlds.

Grey Lerner

Postby Grey Lerner » March 26th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I never cease to be amazed at how many people (including the many phone calls and emails we get each day) from people who can't keep their usernames and passwords straight. That's why my instructions for iGenii say "WRITE IT DOWN."

Plese write down your passwords and usernames (except for websites involving financial transactions) and you won't have these problems.

Greetings Richard,
Given that these log-in questions annoy you, I'm hesitant to ask, but I'd like to occasionally view the magazine using my iPhone.

I can log into the Genii Forum with the correct username and password. I can log into Ask Alexander and iGenii using the correct username and password.

When I try to log into the Genii app for the iPhone (attempting any and all of the above passwords) I get the error message "Authentication Failed".

I have an updated iPhone 5, and I've reinstalled the app a couple of times.
What am I doing wrong (aside from trying to read a great big glossy magazine on a tiny screen :) )?

Thank you,
Grey

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » March 26th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Got a chance to browse through the digital issue while waiting for the Sooze to finish a dance rehearsal. Are there prizes for spotting the two typos?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 26th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Grey, please call Margret at the office and she will assist you during East Coast business hours: 301-652-5800

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 26th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Ian, no prize.
We have added our new Associate Editor Mr. Dustin Stinett as a proof reader beginning with our May issue and the few typographical errors you sometimes find will now hopefully be a thing of the past.

MJE

Postby MJE » March 26th, 2014, 10:56 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Ian, no prize.
We have added our new Associate Editor Mr. Dustin Stinett as a proof reader beginning with our May issue and the few typographical errors you sometimes find will now hopefully be a thing of the past.

I love spotting typos. Gives me a feeling of superiority.

While I have great respect for Mr. Stinett, I hope he isn't TOO good at his new job.

-MJ

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » April 12th, 2014, 5:25 am

April issue arrived today in Manchester, England.

AJM

Postby AJM » April 12th, 2014, 7:39 am

And in Livingston, Scotlsnd

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 12th, 2014, 8:49 am

And in Hastings, England.

Return to “Buzz”