Houdini’s Appearance on the “American Pickers”

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Houdini’s Appearance on the “American Pickers”

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 7th, 2014, 1:59 am

Harry Houdini made a brief appearance on this week’s episode of “American Pickers,” one of the History Channel’s “reality” shows. Featured was the Leadville, Colorado opera house. We catch a brief glimpse of an HH headshot on a wall and then the proprietors (who are attempting to sell the venue) show us the trap door that they say Houdini cut into the stage. Then a couple of historical asides on Harry are shared with the viewers. The segment is on early in the episode which will be repeated several times this week, I’m sure.

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Re: Houdini’s Appearance on the “American Pickers”

Postby JohnCox » February 7th, 2014, 11:35 am

I'll have a clip and little something about this up on my blog later today or tomorrow. I'm exchanging emails with the Opera House trying to get more info on when Houdini was there. No history of Houdini in Leadville, and pretty untypical of him to play a theater that isn't a part of a vaudeville circuit.
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » February 7th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Here we go. A clip and some extra info.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2014/02 ... ni-in.html

By the way, the Opera House folk tell me Thurston also performed there.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 7th, 2014, 6:29 pm

John,
Two places that I have encountered, that have a Houdini connection are The Grove Park Inn in Ashville NC and Bradleys Lock & Key in Savannah GA

Houdini's picture is on the wall in both establishments. He is among a roster of distinguished guests that have stayed at the Grove Park Inn, which in addition to ten U.S. presidents, include Will Rogers, George Gershwin, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and myself.

Two pictures are on the wall at Bradley's. One of Houdini and one of Bess. The picture of Bess is inscribed to the owner's father. The owner's middle name is Houdini (William Houdini Bradley). Entering Bradley's Lock & Key has been describes as stepping back in time. The shop has been in business at the same location since 1883, and believe me, it looks it!

Both are wonderful places to visit, even without the Houdini connection.
Last edited by Brad Jeffers on February 7th, 2014, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » February 7th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Oh, wow, indeed! These are places I'd love to check out. Thanks.

Return to “Buzz”