Rest In Peace Steve Evans

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Paul Gordon

Rest In Peace Steve Evans

Postby Paul Gordon » January 16th, 2014, 12:48 am

Very sad day. Magician Steve Evans lost his battle with cancer today. I worked with him only a few months ago and he was the star of the show. Imho, he was the star of most shows he was in. He was a lovely guy and very VERY funny. Rest in peace old chap. Xx Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Tom Pilling

Re: Rest In Peace Steve Evans

Postby Tom Pilling » January 16th, 2014, 12:40 pm

Well said. Those not in the UK might be interested to know that Steve was a regular guest on BBC radio, due to the overwhelming public response to a phone call he made to The Richard Bacon Show, on BBC Radio 5 Live, regarding his illness. The host was so taken with Steve, that they became friends, and only on Tuesday this week, Steve gave his final interview to the BBC. I'm sure I was not alone in shedding a tear.

The general public were hugely inspired by Steve's approach to his terminal cancer, and by his undying enthusiasm for magic. When so often we despair at magicians "giving the art a bad name" in the media, Steve was the exact opposite. Rest in peace.

Bill Evans

Postby Bill Evans » January 16th, 2014, 1:18 pm

So sorry to hear about this. I got to meet Steve this year in Buxton when I was a guest of the British Ring Convention and found him to be engaging, charming and very funny. He was an excellent MC on the shows and he really did his homework. I'm glad I had the chance to spend a little time with him. I knew of his health issues, but like many I was hoping he could pull through to give him a bit longer to enjoy what he loved so much. Rest in peace Steve.

Bill Evans
International President
International Brotherhood of Magicians

Tom Pilling

Postby Tom Pilling » January 16th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Bill, I remember the lead in to Buxton; it was extraordinary for the BBC to be giving it coverage, which was all down to Steve. I'm waiting until the BBC iPlayer catches up with today's programming to post the relevant 'listen again' link.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » January 17th, 2014, 8:41 am

I was performing in the international close-up show at Buxton and Steve both introduced me and compered the show. He was brilliant, but it was sad to see him struggle. Later on, he compered the gala show and, Imho, he stole it! :) Lovely man. Rest in peace Steve. Xx Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

AJM

Postby AJM » January 18th, 2014, 4:09 am

From the BBC News website yesterday: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-25759542

Return to “Buzz”