J.P. Jackson has Died

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

J.P. Jackson has Died

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 8th, 2013, 7:27 pm

My old friend and collecting buddy, one of the nicest guys in the world, JP Jackson died at noon today California time.

He was an old Navy man who had worked at Brad Burt's shop in his retirement, but was an avid collector and friend to all.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: J.P. Jackson has Died

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 8th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Ah damn.

JP was a GREAT guy and friend. I will really miss him.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » August 8th, 2013, 9:46 pm

JP was a great guy. A great magic collector and human being. I shall miss him too.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » August 8th, 2013, 10:22 pm

This one hit close to me. I knew J.P. for roughly ten years. It was ten years of great phone conversations and purchases that I would make from time to time. J.P. was a good friend of the late Mike Rogers and purchased much of Rogers' collection from his widow. Some of Rogers' books made their way into my collection thanks to J.P.

J.P. was a Vietnam vet who rode the Navy riverboat patrols during the war. He was one of the older guys who had stories to tell and knowledge to share. I will miss our phone conversations about the history of certain props like the Paul Fox cups and about magic and life in general.

Diego

Postby Diego » August 8th, 2013, 11:18 pm

Very sad to hear.

Always enjoyed talking with him, sharing information.

J.P. Will be missed.

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » August 9th, 2013, 1:27 am

I've known J.P. for years, since my days working at Chuck Martinez's old shop Magicians World (which my family eventually purchased) and then at Brad Burt's shop. He was the only guy who called me "Ruby", a nickname I've always hated except when J.P. said it - he had such joy in his voice.

I purchased many things from J.P. over the years, and he was always a straight shooter - honest and kind, and went out of his way many times for friends.

I'll miss him. Been thinking about him all day.
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 9th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Ah, sad news. J.P. was a genuinely nice, knowledgeable, and generous person. There aren't too many better things to be.

LNielsen

Postby LNielsen » August 10th, 2013, 2:52 am

Very, very sad news... :( We spoke to J.P. a couple of months ago, and were looking forward to seeing him again. We will miss him. Rest in peace, friend!

Jay_Jackson

Postby Jay_Jackson » August 10th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Hello all, I am JP's youngest son Jay. It is true, he passed away on Thursday around 12:30pm here in San Diego. Thank you all for the kind words regarding my dad. Collecting magic/antiques was his passion.

Don Wilson

Postby Don Wilson » August 13th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Shocking and Sad news indeed. A fellow collector and friend will be sorely missed! We talked every month and never had a hint this was coming. Goodbye JP. Condolences to his family, you had a great dad!

Dave Dorsett

Postby Dave Dorsett » August 20th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Damn, damn, damn... late to the game but I just want to add what a wonderful guy J.P. was. We talked a lot through the years and did a few projects for each other. Always, always great to talk to whether magic related or just shooting the breeze.

Turned out we had mutual connections in the little burg I call home and even for people he hadn't seen in years he always asked after them... truly one of the good ones.

You'll be missed, J.P. To Jay Jackson, your father was truly someone who made a difference to those he came in contact with. I'm sure you're as proud of him as I am lucky to have known him.

Recquiescat in pace, J.P.
Dave
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering

Charlie Randall

Postby Charlie Randall » August 25th, 2013, 11:48 pm

JP was a great guy. When I got married 20 years, my wife and I spent our honeymoon in San Diego. JP heard about it and when we got to the hotel, there was a bottle of champagne waiting on us, compliments of JP. He'll be missed.

Return to “Buzz”