Eddie Fechter's Magic at the Forks Hotel

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Eddie Fechter's Magic at the Forks Hotel

Postby Q. Kumber » May 8th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Browsing through the weekly email from www.lybrary.com one title caught my eye: Eddie Fechter's Magic at the Forks Hotel by Paul A. Lelekis.

I'd never heard of Paul but am always interested in books by or about professional magicians. With so many new products appearing almost daily in hype and spin that would give credit to politicians, I was expecting to be a tad disappointed, but figured it was worth a gamble for $10.

Eddie Fechter is certainly a name to conjure with.

Well, I was more than pleasantly delighted. Paul is a professional magician based in Florida and obviously works a lot.

I don't have the Jerry Mentzer books, and I expect some of the material will cross over but Paul has added his own thoughts and experiences based on his own professional work.

Most of Paul's experience of Fechter's material comes via Joe LaMonica who worked at the Forks Hotel.

If you work professionally doing close-up magic, I highly recommend this ebook. To a pro, one tip, finesse, line or gag is worth the price of the book. I believe this will repay you many times over.

Details at http://www.lybrary.com/eddie-fechters-m ... 89920.html

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Eddie Fechter's Magic at the Forks Hotel

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 8th, 2013, 3:38 pm

There is a very old videotape of Eddie Fechter performing at one of the early FFFF conventions floating around.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » May 8th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:I don't have the Jerry Mentzer books, and I expect some of the material will cross over

With the exception of Yankee Doodle, all of the material is in "The Magic of Eddie Fechter". Even Yankee Doodle, while not explained in detail, is covered in chapter nine, under "TIPS HINTS, AND BITS OF BUSINESS".

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » May 8th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Don't you wish you go back in time and pay a visit to this place ... http://www.tocny.org/Home/HistoricTownPhotos.aspx

paullelekis
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby paullelekis » May 8th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Thanks for the interest in my e-book, Eddie Fechter and The Forks Hotel. Brad Jeffers mentioned that it was all in The Magic of Eddie Fechter...but Card on the Ceiling is my version of this effect that uses the "Sucrets" line but all else is COMPLETELY unlike the rendition offered in Fechter's second book by Jerry Mentzer.
Plus I have added several subtleties and my own, original jokes and patter that are the result of having performed this effect thousands of times. Ask Jim Swain...he's seen me perform this particular effect many times at one of my restaurants.

AnthonyBrahams

Postby AnthonyBrahams » May 9th, 2013, 3:44 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlgBdFZZWUA is a superb presentation by Dick Cook on the Forks.

No-one can emulate Eddie Fechter so this new publication may be interesting. I'll have just to get it and comment!
Anthony

Harrison Carroll

Postby Harrison Carroll » May 9th, 2013, 2:07 pm

Sir:

You are misinformed. The Sucrets line you mention was not Eddie's. It was from Karl Norman's routine. It was actually Karl, not Eddie, who made Card on Ceiling synonymous with the Forks.

I don't have your ebook, but by the trick titles, all the itmes are in the Mentzer book.

paullelekis

Postby paullelekis » May 9th, 2013, 3:22 pm

To Harrison Carroll - Sir...YOU are the one who is misinformed! In my e-book I duly note that the "Sucrets gag" that I use was also performed by Karl Norman. BUT, Ed Eckl is the one who came up with the gag - NOT Karl!
Get my e-book Harrison...I believe you will be surprised and better informed!

paullelekis

Postby paullelekis » May 9th, 2013, 3:28 pm

Also, Harrison...you should note that the integrity of all of Fechter's were kept intact, but I added not only easier, but more up-to-date methods of controls...so this is not solely "copied" but I offered easier methods to accomplish the same thing.
In addition, the Card on the Ceiling, is MY rendition of the original effect and perfected through the years having performed it thousands of times! How many times have you performed it Mr. Carroll? It's inexperienced one's who seem lash out the most!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 9th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Just a few questions:
Who are you and why are you discussing, describing and teaching someone else's work? IE are you an assigned delegate or trustee of the material?
Who was the guy to you?
From your observation, what worked for him, and how?
What did you need to do to get the tricks working for you?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

paullelekis

Postby paullelekis » May 9th, 2013, 4:11 pm

To Mr. Townsend...read my e-book and all your questions will answered.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » May 9th, 2013, 6:42 pm

As I mentioned in my post above, what impressed me the most about the ebook was the tips, lines and suggestions for the routines. If you are looking specifically at the tricks alone, you are probably better off with the Mentzer books.

Bear in mind that Eugene Burger wrote a booklet on some of Matt Schulien's tricks that were already in print. But Eugene brought a fresh look to the routines based on his own style and years of professional experience.

It is these extra thoughts and details that make such publications of value to workers but which are generally meaningless to hobbyists.

Gene B

Postby Gene B » May 9th, 2013, 7:27 pm

With 9 items covered plus a biography of Eddie---27 pages does not allow a lot of space for each item---must be just tips or ideas?

Gene

Harrison Carroll

Postby Harrison Carroll » May 9th, 2013, 7:40 pm

You are correct. Ed did come up with the bit, for Karl. But it was Karl who then made it his own. And Ed never really did anything with it,other than give it to Karl. I'm not lashing out, as you indicate. And yes, I do have performing experience. I'm an old man, which is to say that I have performed the trick a time or two through the years. I wrote Joe's first two balloon books for him. So, if you want to talk experience, how much experience do you have around Eddie, or the Forks?

However, my comment wasn't about your performance of it. Rather, it stemmed from your posting here. Which may be unfair of me since, as I mentioned, I have yet to read your book. Thus any educated discussion on my part may be premature. Since Mentzer owns the rights to tyhe written material, I'm sure the changes you've made to the tricks must be substantial.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » May 10th, 2013, 5:24 am

Harrison,
The Joe LaMonica balloon books were very helpful to me early in my career, along with the George Sands balloon books. A big thank you for writing them for Joe. I suspect that without you they wouldn't have seen the light of day. Joe's balloon work was pretty groundbreaking at the time.
Quentin

Harrison Carroll

Postby Harrison Carroll » May 10th, 2013, 10:13 am

Hi Q
Yes. Joe's Balloon work really was ground breaking. He wasn't very good with the pen (not that I am) so I did him a favor. As good as he was with balloons, he was that much more amazing with his pickpocket act.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 10th, 2013, 10:39 am

Harrison Carroll wrote:...And yes, I do have performing experience...

That's the understatement of the year!

(For those who don't know him, Mr. Carroll is one of the best corporate magicians in the world (more than 550 trade shows in over 25 years) and a Forks alum).
Last edited by erdnasephile on May 11th, 2013, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harrison Carroll

Postby Harrison Carroll » May 10th, 2013, 11:57 am

Thanks for the kind words Erdnase

Shazzbatt

Postby Shazzbatt » May 10th, 2013, 1:48 pm

This looks interesting. It's always good to get an experienced pro's take on something. Sometimes a single tip or subtlety is worth the price of a lecture (or in this case an ebook).

AnthonyBrahams

Postby AnthonyBrahams » May 11th, 2013, 10:51 am

Mr Lelekis' despicable, insulting, ignorant implication that my very good friend Harrison Carroll is inexperienced has been shot down by others (I was not able to post yesterday) and of course in working at the Forks he would have seen Eddie perform hundreds of times. Furthermore it is apparent that Lelekis has not read the "Fechter" book properly. The biography of Eddie is by Harrison who is also listed as a performer in Bill Okal's chapter, is in a group photo with his name in the caption and in "Special Thanks"there is the name Harry Carroll which anyone with some intelligence would realize is Harrison.

So now I am willing to say I am innocent in that I know nothing about Paul Lelekis and whether not one is justified in respecting his opinions. On the technical side I can say more when I have worked through his booklet.
Anthony

paullelekis

Postby paullelekis » May 11th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Note to Mr. Carroll and Mr. Brahams: I didn't intend to insult anyone...I was just reacting to the numerous Mal-informed opinions regarding my tome and my experience. But instead of complaining I will give you gentlemen a funny story that happened to Joe and I at one of his performances.
Joe and I used to accompany each other at our shows and had a good time with it. We even provided our local hospital with a free performance every Wednesday for the post-surgical patients and balloons for the children's' ward. We did this for about 4 years.
Joe came to my shows and the restaurants at which I table-hopped and I would come to his shows to help him out.
One time I accompanied Joe to a community show where he did his stage act...magic, hypnotism and his pickpocket act.
After the show Joe and I went to eat at a diner. Suddenly Joe turned to me and said (in his gravely voice) "Uh oh! Paul - look!" He pulled out 7 watches from his pocket that he forgot to give back after the show! We ate then went back to the community and turned the watches back to the main office where (I assume) they were returned to their rightful owners!
Joe was such a good pickpocket that I didn't even see him steal one single watch! He used do this pickpocket act at the hospital where we performed with the families who were waiting for their loved ones to come out of surgery.
Joe and I were close friends for many years and I even went to the convalescent center where his daughter put him at age 93. He asked to get him out and I was making arrangements to remove him. I went to go visit him at the home and I was informed that he had passed! I was shocked...Joe appeared to be in excellent health and had all of his faculties. I think he just gave up...it wasn't too long after his wife Vera passed. I miss Joe...I learned so much from him.

paullelekis

Postby paullelekis » May 11th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Added note: I performed all of the tricks that I placed in the Eddie Fechter e-book, many times. I have Eddie's first two books and studied them for years. Joe performed certain tricks of Eddie's that he seemed to be enamored with.
I learned the effects the way Joe performed them and I, too, started performing them at my numerous engagements. I eventually performed these effects with my own "spin" on them and these are them methods that I included in my e-book.
I didn't just copy his effects and put them in the e-book. Many of the methods that Eddie used for control and revelations are fairly difficult to perform...but that was Eddie. I added methods that I have adopted while preserving the integrity of Eddie's effects.

Harrison Carroll

Postby Harrison Carroll » May 11th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Mr. Lelekis

No insult taken.

As I stated, My Karl Norman opine was based on my interpretation based on your ad. IE: Eddie Fechter - Magic at the Forks Hotel, followed by a list of tricks, including Card on Ceiling. The e-book does indeed clarify that Eddie never did it.

However, I have now read your e-book and must say that there are several inaccuracies.

I'm not a "Forum" type guy, so I'll leave it to others who may wish to discuss them, if they choose.

Bill Okal
Favorite Magician: Francis Carlyle

Postby Bill Okal » May 21st, 2013, 5:52 pm

Having literally eaten and slept at the Fork’s Hotel, and performed there for the better part of twenty years, I knew Eddie Fechter as well, if not better, than anyone. He was my friend, my mentor, my father in magic. So when I was informed that someone I didn’t know had written a book about Eddie, I naturally began to wonder about the author’s qualifications.

A review of the comments and the author’s responses on this forum, along with a careful reading of the subject book, reveals that the author, to some degree, relied on the books written by Jerry Mentzer for his knowledge; that is not to say he copied from them. In view of that reliance, I am surprised that while the author mentions Mentzer and his books more than once, he neither indicates permission for any inclusions nor makes any attributions concerning the large amount of comparable material in this book. Even if it is not word for word, it would seem appropriate to have done that; if not, it certainly would have been nice.

In any event, it is clear from the author’s writing that, based on what he has heard and read, he has considerable admiration for Eddie Fechter the magician. As Eddie’s confidant and one of his closest friends during the Fork’s years, I respect and appreciate that admiration.

That being said, there are a few things that trouble me about the book. First, not to demean Eddie but out of respect for the accuracy of his legacy, there are exaggerations, particularly with regard to dice, that make him appear to be something he wasn’t.

Secondly, there are inaccuracies as to what Eddie said while performing and gross deficiencies in the telling of what he did in the way of performance, the true essence of his magic. To truly appreciate and understand that magic, one needs to know precisely what he said and did; how, i.e. the manner in which he said and did it; and, perhaps most important, why he said and did what he did. The author merely sketches method and patter that, albeit unintentionally, trivializes the impact of Eddie’s magic.

A reader of this book, therefore, might learn tricks, methods, and patter - but the reader will not learn the real magic of Eddie Fechter. His magic was not that which is in this book; it was that which is not in this book. For Eddie, a card trick, or whatever, was merely a tool he used; it was a medium through which to offer his playful, confident personality to an audience. He not only knew sleight of hand, he was a thoroughly convincing actor and a natural comedian.

Perhaps what troubles me most about the book is that the author, who admits he never met Eddie, nonetheless makes comments the tone of which suggest intimate knowledge of and insight into Eddie’s magic. His disclaimer notwithstanding, he has written from a point of view that would suggest he had actually known the man, and had closely watched and studied his magic for years. Not only is that approach insincere, I am sorry to say that for those of us who truly did know Eddie, and actually watched his genius at work, over and over, night after night, year after year, that approach feels disrespectful.

Given the author’s apparent admiration for the legacy of Eddie Fechter, I am sure his effort was well intended and that he meant no disrespect, possibly the best he could do with what he had. I am surprised, however, with apparently only limited information and knowledge of what the man and his magic were all about, that he would feel sufficiently informed to write about him in the way that he has.

Mr. Charming

Postby Mr. Charming » August 4th, 2016, 1:42 am

This book is now available at 50% off for this week. Just purchased it and looking forward to read it.

performer

Postby performer » August 4th, 2016, 7:20 am

Do you want to see Eddie at work? After all some of you may never have seen him perform. Here you can get two Eddie's for the price of one. First look at this video of the superb trade show magician Eddie Tullock at work. At about 11 minutes in or so you will see a few minutes of the other Eddie. That is the Fechter one. A remarkable contrast in styles. Enjoy them both:

https://marklewistradeshowmagiciansecre ... e-tullock/

Russ
Favorite Magician: Those that know the art well

Postby Russ » August 5th, 2016, 6:02 pm

paullelekis wrote:Also, Harrison...you should note that the integrity of all of Fechter's were kept intact, but I added not only easier, but more up-to-date methods of controls...so this is not solely "copied" but I offered easier methods to accomplish the same thing.
In addition, the Card on the Ceiling, is MY rendition of the original effect and perfected through the years having performed it thousands of times! How many times have you performed it Mr. Carroll? It's inexperienced one's who seem lash out the most!

Paul,
I have read your effects published in the ring For years. You have some good thinking. I never met Fechter but have had, through the years, the priviledge to meet His 'team'. These guys are Now legend. Harry Carroll is one of them. Be priviledged please to Shake His Hand someday. Those hands have done more magic that most of Us have forgotten. Note His politeness in His responses back to you. It´s real. On stage or In a close up performance, it kiills! - a Lesson I learned From him years ago. How are you Harry?

Russ Polizzi
Russ Polizzi

performer

Postby performer » August 5th, 2016, 9:34 pm

I have seen Mr Carroll perform several times at various trade shows over the years although I have nevet made myself known to him. I can confirm he gathets large crowds and knows what he is doing.

Larry Stangel

Postby Larry Stangel » August 28th, 2016, 8:37 am

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » August 28th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Harrison and Bill cut their teeth with Eddie and no of what they speak about. I have not read the new book but I find it hard to believe there is much left to say about Eddie that has not been covered in the books by Jerry Metzger, Malburger Stuart, Ray Mertz and Karl Norman. It is hard for people to understand what the Forks and Eddie Fetcher was all about if they never saw him work or the Forks. It was an atmosphere that encouraged working for real people not just magicians. Consequently, the guys that were lucky enough to work there for several years honed their skills to working for real people in real situations.
If one enjoys real magic like Eddie did, I would encourage you to get Karl Norman's book "40 years at the Forks" or the video that Meir Yedid released.
As one of the old timers who has went to FFFF for many years and as great as the FFFF is, it is just not the same without the Forks Hotel and Eddie.
Harrison and Bill you both need to getogether and tape some Eddie stories so they are not lost.
Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

performer

Postby performer » August 28th, 2016, 11:37 pm

I watched him on video. A quiet but effective style. I would imagine working in his own venue to his fans and regulars was a significant advantage to him. I suspect that taking his work outside his own tavern would have softened the reactions somewhat although he would still have done very well.

With regard to the fuss about this new book it seems to me that some of the reactions here are understandably biased and I would not expect to get an accurate assessment of Mr Lekesis's work from these sources. You don't have to know a person personally to write about their work. Think about all the biographies of Houdini for example. That is what research is for.

If there are small inaccuracies then so be it. I have never seen a perfect book and I have read many.

I find Mr Braham's diatribe particularly offensive as befits a member of the toffee nosed Magic Circle. He says that he is going to study the book in question. That is perfectly fine as long as he realises that his biased opinion is of no importance whatsoever. I suspect in any case he has discovered the book is excellent as he has now had ample time to sample it and his silence speaks volumes. One would have thought he would have jumped at the opportunity to tear it apart. As he hasn't then I assume he has found it better than he expected.

When I study something I don't give a stuff about the politics of it or who knew who. I am selfishly looking for things to benefit ME. I study everything that is available so I can get a well rounded view of the material. From what I have read here it seems that Paul's book has some value to the reader. If I were interested in the Fechter material I would most certainly see what twists and variations are available. For example I have altered and improved much of the Slydini material and adapted it for my own needs. I would have no hesitation on writing it up after giving due credit to the originator (who didn't actually originate most of it anyway) whether I had met him or not. That is how magic evolves.

I do own the Mentzer book. I think I have mentioned in the past that I have found evidence that it was once owned by Tommy Wonder. Not that anyone cares mind you.

Return to “Buzz”