Real Secrets Weber Bonus and Email

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
James
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Real Secrets Weber Bonus and Email

Postby James » May 2nd, 2013, 10:59 pm

I'm able to download the newsletters. The download button isn't disabled for me. It's an icon in Revizzit (looks like a white piece of paper above a black arrow). I'm on a Mac, not sure if Revizzit is different on Windows machines.

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » May 2nd, 2013, 11:04 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I got the email, installed the thing, and now cannot find ANYTHING.
What a frustrating and overly complicated process.

+1

Overdone to the extreme.

Jim

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 2nd, 2013, 11:05 pm

I was able to get into the registration, and see #14 and the updates. (I assume that the "thing" for #14 is in the mail?)

So far, I don't see any advantages over logging in to the RS website and downloading PDFs. Like others, I don't see how to print or screen grab the pages. (I'm on a PC; the button James describes is present, but when I press it, it displays a pop-up that says "This File is not Downloadable")

With the old system, I was able to view at work. I won't be able to do that now, as our IT policies won't let me install the app.

So, so far, I don't see this as an improvement.

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » May 2nd, 2013, 11:07 pm

I was able to download the first 6 pages, and then all the rest get a message saying that downloading is disabled for this page.

Screen capture (different program) works though. What a PITA.

Jim

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 2nd, 2013, 11:16 pm

James wrote:I'm able to download the newsletters. The download button isn't disabled for me. It's an icon in Revizzit (looks like a white piece of paper above a black arrow). I'm on a Mac, not sure if Revizzit is different on Windows machines.

Clicking the download button on pages 1,2 & 6-14 yields a message that "This file is not downloadable" on the Windows version of the player.

Adobe Acrobat will allow you to combine the three pdfs from pages 3-5 into one pdf.
Last edited by erdnasephile on May 2nd, 2013, 11:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

James
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby James » May 2nd, 2013, 11:17 pm

Here's what I've discovered about downloading...

You can't download the envelope. Since the envelope is the first page, most of us probably tried downloading that and got the "this file is not downloadable" message and assumed it referred to all the pages. But fear not my magic friends...

It looks like you can download each page of the actual instructions individually. I've only tried it for a few pages, not a complete issue yet. So it's tine consuming and a bit of a pain, but doable. Each page gets downloaded as a PDF. So each set of instructions will wind up being a handful of PDF files. I'm looking for a way to see if I can select all pages at once to download.

EDIT: After posting I saw someone posted that they can't download past page 6. Neither can I :-(

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 2nd, 2013, 11:23 pm

I was able to download the 3 pages of RS 14. The seven pages of updates to previous items were blocked.

Kelly Rusk

Postby Kelly Rusk » May 2nd, 2013, 11:35 pm

Also, it appears they typed the pages in portrait orientation (horizontal) rather than landscape (vertical). I couldn't find a way to change the orientation for printing.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 2nd, 2013, 11:42 pm

After reading the most recent messages, I was able to download only the three pages which comprise RS 14. I guess we're considered too immature to be allowed to download the other stuff. Maybe it's a bug and they'll fix it.

It's just too silly. All I have to do is capture the screen image and save it through Photoshop. Why not let us just download it and cut out the baloney.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 2nd, 2013, 11:59 pm

It's amusing that they seem to be couching this move to Revizzit (a DRM anti piracy platform) as somehow benefiting their members.

Anti-Piracy Technology
What if illegal video recordings of your content, whether by screen capture or video camera, instantly revealed the identification of the offender?

Revizzit protects your products with several layers of technology. In addition to locking your product in our encrypted player, and giving you control over who can download, and protecting the hosting location of your product, we've also developed an exclusive technology that invisibly fingerprints your content - whether it's a page of text, a video or an interactive game. When someone tries to steal your content via video camera or screen capture, our technology immediately identifies the individual. Whether you teach courses, have films or scripts, employee manuals, or exclusive coaching programs, Revizzit protects your content. Revizzit delivers the most sophisticated level of security at a fraction of the cost of other DRM solutions.

Social Control
What if you could control which parts of your content could be shared, saved or printed - and lock down the rest so tight they can’t even copy and paste the contents?

Revizzit gives you total control over who has access to your content, and how. Revizzit pages can't be saved, or shared, or printed - unless you say so. And you can choose on a page by page basis. The locations of your documents and other media are protected and can't be shared or revealed without your permission. Revizzit even protects you from people copying and pasting your content. Sweet.

Sorry to see that the RS team seems to have a lack of trust in those who have thrown down good money for its product. This also seems like an attempt (probably a successful one) to forestall people reselling the goods they've purchased.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2013, 12:13 am

Here's a related bit of writing by Bill Hunt of the famous film website The Digital Bits that he coincidentally just posted today:

Okay, finally we come to ... some concerns about Hollywood’s “digital streaming” future. Anyone remember DIVX? The pay per view disc format that thankfully came and went in the early days of DVD? Well, if and when physical media finally goes away – say over the next decade or two – the Hollywood studios’ whole motivation behind DIVX will finally be realized. Consumers will have no option or ability to own or copy films or TV shows. In fact, the whole concept of “ownership” will disappear as it currently exists. Your access to movie and TV content will be completely controlled by the studios. You’ll have pay to access content – either per title or as a monthly subscription – and if one of the studios wants to take away that access, they can do it. Just like that. If a studio decides all those old Westerns aren’t popular anymore and they’re just taking up valuable server space “in the cloud”, they can just pull them down and you can’t watch them anymore. And if you’d like to watch the widest variety of titles from all the different studios, you’re probably going to have to subscribe to more than one – maybe even several – different streaming services. Each studio could have their own. That’s about as consumer unfriendly as it gets.

Today, of course, if you want pretty much any film or TV show that’s currently (or formerly) available on a physical disc, you can just one-stop shop on Amazon (or eBay) and the disc is at your house in a few mouse clicks plus a couple of days. On the music side of things, at least the all-digital music industry is more friendly. I currently have iTunes installed on my computer’s hard drive filled with thousands of songs in high-quality that I’ve ripped from legally purchased CDs and downloads. The files exist on my hard drive, and they’re backed up on a second drive and on my iPod. I control them. I can listen to them whenever I want. The record companies can’t take them away from me. (Film and TV video files downloaded from iTunes are a different issue, as they have DRM.) But Hollywood doesn’t want to work like that in the future. Are you an UltraViolet user? Cool, right? Your movies are stored in the cloud. Sure, you can access them from any device you want via the cloud, but the movies aren’t on your hard drive. You have no real control over them whatsoever. Whatever you do, be sure to keep those Blu-ray and DVD versions! Because if you sell the discs, thinking that all you’ll ever need in the future is the UV version online, sooner or later you’re going to lose access to those films. You’re going to get screwed.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 3rd, 2013, 12:16 am

I don't believe RS means to keep folks from downloading the bonus stuff. Sounds like growing pains that invariably occur with a new rollout of any project.

RS customer service has been really prompt, so I strongly suspect this will get remedied in short order.

PS: I was suspicious of Revizzit before I subscribed to Carney 2013. I needn't have worried--it's been working rather well for me for the last several months. If it helps Carney (and others) protect their investment and thereby allows this stuff to be made available to me, then I'm good with it.

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » May 3rd, 2013, 12:19 am

Chris A.

Are you a member of RS? I am and have been since the start.

They have always sent or allowed us to print instructions for every one of the 14
monthly tricks we paid for when we signed up.

All the rest has been more than they promised and more than I imagined.

So I consider all the extras they give me as gravy.

Really good gravy.

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » May 3rd, 2013, 12:21 am

I would think that RS and Carney would be looking to protect their investment from the folks that would pirate it, and not from members who have paid a premium for the content.

Why do content providers always seem to want to make things inconvenient for paying customers? Pirates will do what they do anyway. Makes me wonder.

Jim

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 3rd, 2013, 12:25 am

Bibliophage wrote:Chris A.

Are you a member of RS? I am and have been since the start.

They have always sent or allowed us to print instructions for every one of the 14
monthly tricks we paid for when we signed up.

All the rest has been more than they promised and more than I imagined.

So I consider all the extras they give me as gravy.

Really good gravy.

Ahhhhh... Sweet sweet gravy... :ugeek:

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » May 3rd, 2013, 12:44 am

Chris,

Is that a yes or a no as to you being an RS member?

I have been watching the negative online nonsense and speculation since the RS project was announced in February of 2012 and the overwhelming majority of it comes from folks who are not members.

Interesting.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 3rd, 2013, 2:31 am

Bibliophage wrote:...
Interesting.

Eh.. Perhaps not that interesting. :ugeek:

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » May 3rd, 2013, 10:04 am

Chris,

All I did was ask a question. Seems it is more important to you to be clever.
Sad that it so quickly turns. Hope we can just move on.
Only thing of interest is the magic.
Let the "we can't" stuff rest. Everyone has to use a device for this forum, no?

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 3rd, 2013, 10:42 am

Bibliophage wrote:Chris,
Let the "we can't" stuff rest.

*Grabs Bibliophages hand and begins to serenely hum "Kumbaya"*

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2013, 11:32 am

Play nice or don't play. :D

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 3rd, 2013, 12:04 pm

When a large (and potentially confusing) change like this is to occur, doesn't it seem like common sense to tell one's subscribers and perhaps give them some information about what's coming before the changes are actually rolled out?

RS has everyone's e-mail address, so I'd think such a "heads up"would have been easy to provide.

It might not bug others, but I'm not particularly happy when many services out there require me to download some new, additional DRM (digital Rights Management) app just view their product. Why not offer some choices, like we have with Genii (i.e. I can read it on any browser or use the dedicated app.) And if a company is going to require an application as a single point of access, at least let their subscribers know in advance, so they can make an informed decision about that.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on May 3rd, 2013, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » May 3rd, 2013, 12:25 pm

Richard,

Thank You. Your low tolerance for schoolyard bullying and other B.S. is what makes this a place which is so much nicer than other green spots. It is noticed and appreciated.

Chris,

One of my reasons for asking you about your RS Membership status is that they did let us know "something" was coming. Without spilling so much that I get myself kicked out, i recently got opt-in requests from them, and then instructions for accessing some of this month's material via a new format.

I communicate with several other RS Members. A few of them got the notice before I did, a few after. I had not used the system before, so I just downloaded and logged in, but I understand the frustration of having a application that does not feel intuitive.

I walked two magicians through the process last night on Skype with no problem and one of them told me that they were sent a "Video Walkthru" made for them last night by the guys at RS when they learned that several of the members were confused.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2013, 12:36 pm

I don't like the new process at all.

I intensely dislike not receiving paper instruction sheets with the tricks.

I don't like the new setup, it's a pain in the ass, and I don't like being treated like a naughty child and not being able to download everything easily.

Of course I can copy each screen one page at a time and save it, but that's a fat time-wasting pain in the ass that shouldn't be necessary.

This is not what I signed up for, and paid for, over a year ago.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 3rd, 2013, 12:38 pm

@ Mr. er.. Bibliophage

Ask a relevant question (i.e. not some passive/defensive nonsense capped off by saying "interesting") and you might get a relevant answer.

Otherwise, I'm not quite sure why you expect that I owe you any answers at all.

Perhaps I have chosen to keep certain things... really secret. :ugeek:

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 3rd, 2013, 12:40 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I don't like the new process at all.

I don't like the new setup, it's a pain in the ass, and I don't like being treated like a naughty child and not being able to download everything easily.

Of course I can copy each screen one page at a time and save it, but that's a fat time-wasting pain in the ass that shouldn't be necessary.

I think your honest take on such things is really valuable Richard. Your concerns are valid, regardless of those who might try to rationalize them away. As you are someone who also offers digital content (and I applaud that Genii is available via a normal browser and a standalone app) it's my hope that the RS team will take your comments to heart.

There have been times in the the past where I've had to forgo buying product that I really wanted simply because I didn't want to deal with this sort of thing (paying my money and being treated like an untrustworthy child or pirate).

There are companies out there (Vanishing Inc, Reel magic, LLepub, CARC to name a few) having success with selling digital magic wares out there by simply pricing their product fairly and treating their customers with respect.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on May 3rd, 2013, 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 3rd, 2013, 12:59 pm

B* given the policy of "at will" cutoff to subscribes - simply not a good idea to say of a subscriber or not ... understood?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » May 3rd, 2013, 2:19 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:I don't like the new process at all.

I think your honest take on such things is really valuable Richard. Your concerns are valid, regardless of those who might try to rationalize them away. As you are someone who also offers digital content (and I applaud that Genii is available via a normal browser and a standalone app) it's my hope that the RS team will take your comments to heart.

There have been times in the the past where I've had to forgo buying product that I really wanted simply because I didn't want to deal with this sort of thing (paying my money and being treated like an untrustworthy child or pirate).

There are companies out there (Vanishing Inc, Reel magic, LLepub, CARC to name a few) having success with selling digital magic wares out there by simply pricing their product fairly and treating their customers with respect.

Richard,

I don't know what you aren't seeing that I can see, but I see it as a big improvement.

1. You can download each one as a PDF, you don't have to do one page at a time.
2. Now the content is downloaded each month and stored on a server, it doesn't "dissappear" like before.

I was already downloading/saving all the Bonus materials, printing it out, this makes it easier. And I got the directions online before the props, so I knew what to look forward to.

There is also some features that look like it will allow more collaboration/communication in the community. All of this is good.

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » May 3rd, 2013, 2:27 pm

Scott Fridinger wrote:Richard,

I don't know what you aren't seeing that I can see, but I see it as a big improvement.

1. You can download each one as a PDF, you don't have to do one page at a time.
2. Now the content is downloaded each month and stored on a server, it doesn't "dissappear" like before.

I was already downloading/saving all the Bonus materials, printing it out, this makes it easier. And I got the directions online before the props, so I knew what to look forward to.

There is also some features that look like it will allow more collaboration/communication in the community. All of this is good.

OK, I stand corrected. Yesterday I could download the file as a PDF, it seems to not work today. Hmmm.....

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 3rd, 2013, 2:50 pm

Scott Fridinger wrote:
OK, I stand corrected. Yesterday I could download the file as a PDF, it seems to not work today. Hmmm.....
I wonder if that's an oversight or if their system somehow limits how many times one can download as a complete pdf?

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » May 3rd, 2013, 4:16 pm

According to an emailI received from Tim Trono today, not to be allowed to download the "bonus" material is deliberate on the part of RS. Don't know why they want to restrict this since it is so easy to bypass. Maybe if enough paying customers raise a stink it will change.

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » May 3rd, 2013, 4:51 pm

I guess that Tim Trono sent those emails selectively. I don’t know anyone else who received it. And I can tell you I had no way to download the entire document as a PDF; only the first few pages individually.

If this is how it is staying then I am out.

Jim

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » May 3rd, 2013, 4:55 pm

If you send an email to RS Tim will answer fairly quickly.

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » May 3rd, 2013, 5:02 pm

Don Hendrix wrote:If you send an email to RS Tim will answer fairly quickly.

OK, understood, Don. It was a reply to you. I didn't realize that. Sorry!

Thanks!

Jim

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2013, 7:13 pm

I finally received today the redone version of the previous installment (13) and the new item (14) which I like.

Nicholas Night

Postby Nicholas Night » May 3rd, 2013, 7:41 pm

Hello everyone,

Some of you may remember me from when I was an illusionist. Nowadays I run a company called Revizzit.

I understand that many of you feel that your purchases are not "real" unless you can store them somewhere in your house, or hold them in your hand. I used to feel the same way about CDs and DVDs, but now I enjoy the greater flexibility of having instant, streaming music and videos available any time I like - without having to go to Blockbuster to rent them (that is, if they were still in business).

Times are changing the way we consume content. We have devices now that do not have external media readers at all - soon, there will not be DVD drives or even flash drives on our computers, just as there aren't any on our tablets.

When we set out to create Revizzit, we did so with a mindset of helping people - not just content creators, but consumers, too.

I experienced first-hand the devastating effects of piracy on a small business. My download-based company was almost capsized by rampant file sharing.

No one is accusing customers of being "naughty children" and being punished. Just as there are policemen in your neighborhood does not mean every citizen is a criminal. Just as you lock your doors at night to keep your family and possessions safe does not mean your neighbors are burglars.

The fact is, it doesn't work both ways. The only thing we can endeavor to do is give the most value to each side of the equation - protection for creators and convenience for consumers.

Revizzit has successfully helped many businesses and entrepreneurs maintain a viable and profitable enterprise, and also offer their customers value that simply could not be delivered another way.

Every page in Revizzit CAN be downloaded and printed - if the producer sets the permissions to allow it. The software doesn't set the rules, it empowers creators to set their own rules. Revizzit does something else magical with those pages - it maintains a live connection to them so that the creators can update and add to them at any time, instantly updating every copy in existence. So the value proposition grows over time, rather than declining due to irrelevancy of the content.

The creators can also add to the products - both actual pages and chapters, as well as interactive content, images, and yes, even advertising. These products are for all intents and purposes, LIVING documents.

There are no visible URLs in Revizzit, no viewing source code, and other technologies in place to keep the integrity of the content. Some may see this as overwrought, but consider that the VALUE of your purchase is directly proportionate to how scarce it is. When the only people who have access are the paying customers, the value is affirmed - but when you pay $200 and everyone else seems to know how to get it for free, doesn't that seem to lessen the value for everyone?

Here is an image (attached) of a torrent search I did for Genii Magazine. I respect Richard and the magazine he has created too much to expose the source or post a link, despite the unkind things he has said about my business efforts.
genii-torrent.png
genii-torrent.png (100.34 KiB) Viewed 4552 times

Some have said - even Chief Genii - that they should just screen capture the contents. Of course, that is perfectly fine for personal use. But it should be known that there is an identifying fingerprint on all media in Revizzit that can reveal the person who illegally uploads content to the internet. Again, we do this to help businesses stay alive in the new economy.

But I'd also like to point out some of the benefits of Revizzit for the customers. I have several thousand customers in my ukulele software products, all of whom are now on Revizzit, and making sure the customer is happy is foremost in my mind. If any of you have sent a support ticket to Revizzit, you know that I am personally looking out for you.

Among the benefits the Revizzit Apps offer are:
• You'll never lose your purchases due to a corrupted file, deletion or hard drive crash - they are safely stored in our cloud servers
• You can access the products from anywhere - up to six devices at a time, Mac, PC, iPad or combination of all
• The products on Revizzit are "alive" - they can be added to, improved and updated - unlike a static download
• The iPad app allows you to unload the products with a simple on/off switch - this saves room on your drive when you are not using something, but instantly available again by turning them back "on"
• Communities in Revizzit - chat rooms, forums, etc - are accessible only by authorized customers, eliminating virtually all spam and troll behavior and creating a pleasant environment for exchanging ideas
• Products can deliver a wide range of multimedia content - virtually any kind of digital content

I don't want to hijack this thread any longer - I appreciate the opportunity to try and clear up some misconceptions about who we are and what we are trying to accomplish.
I have brought my friends and colleagues in magic to this platform (including Mike Caveney, Jim Steinmeyer, John Carney, Michael Weber, Jonathan Levit, Tim Trono, Bill Herz, Paul Romhany, Shawn Farquhar, Michael Giles, and others) because I believe in the good it has to offer our art, and the creative individuals trying to earn a living in this connected world.

Cheers,
Nick Night

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 3rd, 2013, 9:00 pm

Nick, I consider you a friend and don't want you to take my comments personally.

I find Revizzit as it has been configured for use by Real Secrets to be an unfriendly consumer experience.

When I am forced to screen capture each page of something I've paid for in order to be able to store it on my computer and print it out for my own use, I am being forced to do this as reault of measures that have been taken by Real Secrets to prevent material from leaking out.

But I am not a "leaker," or an internet poster of copyrighted material, and I don't like being treated like one. And these measures don't prevent determined people from putting material on torrent sites, they just make it a pain in the neck for me--the average customer. That's unfair.

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » May 3rd, 2013, 9:05 pm

I appreciate your efforts Nick, however, these are my thoughts (I work in the computer field):

1. Projects come and go. What happens when Revizzit dies as well? I hope it doesn't and your project is successful, but there have been some other larger projects that have died which had more backing.

2. Android, were is the app? I personally run Linux and Android, neither are supported. Now, Linux, don't ever expect that support, but Android is almost a must. I would even pay for the App if needed.

3. Some people bought into this project, who are most likely not very tech savvy. Now they don't even get their items without using software.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still love the project and I actually quite like the format up to the download function. I firmly believe that there is no way to stop piracy, it has always gone on (mixed tapes, vcr, faximilles). Most of the people I know who download wouldn't buy they stuff anyway, but that is my experience and I think people can protect their items anyway they want. The more I think about it, I really think this is going to turn more people off. However, after the "Bunny" fiasco I understand the need.

The project is great, the material is really getting good. I will adjust and I will press on. I was really excited about the changes, but I understand better Richard's complaints, and I somewhat agree. Now, not everyone can be satisfied, as customers we need to understand that as well.

Good Luck to all parties involved!

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 3rd, 2013, 9:48 pm

It's really good to see that at least some people recognize what Nick is really selling here. Which is a sense of false security and tools to more easily allow content creators to punish honest subscribers.

Fear of piracy is his sales tool, whether such fears are valid or not.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » May 3rd, 2013, 10:03 pm

Scott, I'm just guessing here, but I think my guesses are plausible.

1: Should Revizzit go down, there should still be time for Nick to open up the restrictions so that people can download their stuff. And if not, the original content providers will still be around.

2: The iOS ipad app was released just a month ago. And there are AIR developer tools for Android. I'm guessing that an Android beta is not far away.

3: The app interface is a tad confusing. But it seems there are frequent updates, so I guess the interface will become simpler. Underneath the hood, it is all tried and proved standard formats: HTML, javascript, actionscript etc. If you can handle a web browser, you should be able to handle this app.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 3rd, 2013, 10:48 pm

So, regarding that scary screen shot posted by Nick showing all those sets of Genii magazine available for download. I used a little "google-fu" and found the exact page. You see, I was curious as to whether this is even an active torrent.

And, lo and behold, there's no one seeding this torrent. It's 2 years old and dormant. No one can currently get even a single issue from that particular torrent. We don't even know if it was ever a valid torrent. This is a very strange example, probably given in hopes that none of us would check or understand what we were seeing. Fear is a very easy to use (and sadly, often effective) sales tool.

----
Nick's image removed (And I think Nick should remove the image from his post also) as it provides enough information to easily link directly to a torrent which (understandably) makes Richard uncomfortable, no matter what its status.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on May 4th, 2013, 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Buzz”