Derek Lever ... Discriminating Against Deaf Magicians

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Pilling

Re: Derek Lever ... Discriminating Against Deaf Magicians

Postby Tom Pilling » February 2nd, 2013, 9:28 pm

Oh dear.

This man is a bully. Richard is absolutely right, the club is liable, not just the seemingly despicable person, Lever.

It IS ABSOLUTELY ILLEGAL in the UK: I am married to an expert. Johnny is going about things in an exemplary way, far better than they deserve.

And, please, why shouldn't people approach DVD producers? WTF? How ludicrous to argue that people should be left in peace to make money, without any niggling civil rights issues getting in the way.

In the immortal words of Tom Lehrer:

"I wanna go back to Dixie,
Take me back to dear old Dixie,
It's the only little ole' place
For little ole' me.

Old times there are not forgotten,
Whuppin' slaves and sellin' cotton,
And waitin' for that Robert E Lee
(He was never there on time...)

....I'll go back to the south land,
That Y'ALL AND SHUT YER MOUTH LAND..."

Apologies for any errors, that's from memory.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » February 2nd, 2013, 9:54 pm

Tom Pilling wrote:,,,
And waitin' for that Robert E Lee
(He was never there on time...)

I believe the words refer to the steamboat, The Roberrt E. Lee, not the general for whom it was named.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 2nd, 2013, 10:54 pm

I'm trying not to get the core of this issue, which is getting an interpreter for deaf magicians into the Blackpool convention and allowed to work, with other types of things deaf magicians are seeking.

Deaf magicians should be able to approach people who produce DVDs, however at the moment the added cost to do closed captioning for such a small potential audience doesn't make sense in the view of most businesses.

Even though we (the magic world) are a niche market and conventions in the US have made every effort to provide an interpreter for deaf attendees, the cost for this is far less than doing closed-captioning on a DVD or streaming video. That's just economics. For larger film companies, on the other hand, considering the number of hearing-disabled customers there are for not only DVDs, but also streaming video and VOD, then it's hard to argue that it doesn't make sense for them, because your're talking about tens of thousands.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » February 2nd, 2013, 11:03 pm

Fantastica wrote:
TEST why dont you guys attend a lecture or listen to TV with ear plugs, then tell me how you got on.

Johnny,
How about if I take both hearing aids out rather than plugging my ears? Hell, I have trouble hearing with the aids!

I say go after Lever.

In addition, I am glad that the dealer DVD issue was brought up. I am going to be producing several non magic related DVDs and like the closed caption suggestion. It is better to deal with it before production rather than trying to add it later.

RK, thanks for bringing this issue to everyone's attention.
Jim

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » February 3rd, 2013, 4:40 am

Many modern DVDs, especially those produced in the Far East or Latin countries, are already often without words and the explanation is done in silence with maybe some text explaining the important points.

I don't think the dealers are those who need to do any work for deaf customers: they often buy DVDs from a distributor who in turn gets them from the producer (L&L, RVSP, Alakazam, etc). It is the producer who should be contacted and encouraged to provide captions or - as Mr. Gapp said - some printed instructions summarizing the methods. I think Mr. Gapp's suggestion is very accommodating, avoiding the extra cost and work required for captions.

However, something that is not clear from this thread: was an interpreter for hearing-impaired people ever present to any of the Blackpool conventions?

- MP
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 3rd, 2013, 6:14 am

OK, this is just a start, but if Mr Gapp wants to contact me deaf AT damianjennings DOT com I can hand him over the passwords for the accounts, or if he wants me to run them, more than happy to. May need to change the language on the petition, and need contact details etc. Probably need to draft a press release too. Happy to help with this.

I have reposted Richard's initial post, I trust this is OK. If not, obviously I'll remove it.

http://deafdiscrimination.wordpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/deafmagicians

Fantastica

Postby Fantastica » February 3rd, 2013, 8:28 am

mrgoat wrote:OK, this is just a start, but if Mr Gapp wants to contact me deaf AT damianjennings DOT com I can hand him over the passwords for the accounts, or if he wants me to run them, more than happy to. May need to change the language on the petition, and need contact details etc. Probably need to draft a press release too. Happy to help with this.

I have reposted Richard's initial post, I trust this is OK. If not, obviously I'll remove it.

http://deafdiscrimination.wordpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/deafmagicians

Hi I would be more than happy
for to to continue,
also the wonderful support from everyone,
many thanks.

I have to decide what to do next quickly, what is the best.

Shazzbatt

Postby Shazzbatt » February 3rd, 2013, 9:08 am

Hi, Devil's Advocate here offering an alternative thought on this.

In refusing the presence of a sign interpreter for deaf attendees is what Derek/BMC doing actually illegal? (Therefore making any legal action completely pointless)

When buying a ticket for the Blackpool Convention are you not in fact buying a ticket for a private event and therefore agree to be bound by the terms and conditions put in place by the organisers of said event?

For example, let's say that I hired out the Manchester Arena and put on a concert showcasing my 5 favourite singers/bands. You buy a ticket for the concert. Am I as the organiser legally required to provide an interpreter for any deaf attendees of that concert? (Or audio description facilities for any blind attendees for that matter?) Highly unlikely or else the recent concerts I've been to would have had someone at the side of the stage signing along with the lyrics.

I'd have thought that as long as the venue has the relevant DDA and Health & Safety accreditation then the organisers of the private event can do pretty much whatever they like (morally or not) as long as they are not breaking any actually relevant laws.

Now if the event was being organised by a local authority (and therefore being representitive of the government) then I would have thought that they would have to supply interpreters etc (as long as they were made aware of the guests special requirements).

Shazzbatt

Postby Shazzbatt » February 3rd, 2013, 9:14 am

Another thought. If the World Society of Deaf Magicians have requested an interpreter for the convention then if Derek agreed to allowing the facility but insisted it was at your cost would that have been acceptable to you?

Just a note - I am merely putting an alternative viewpoint across not my own personal one. I see no reason why a signing interpreter shouldn't be allowed.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 3rd, 2013, 10:53 am

Martin_Allcock wrote:Hi, Devil's Advocate here offering an alternative thought on this.

In refusing the presence of a sign interpreter for deaf attendees is what Derek/BMC doing actually illegal?

Yes. AFAIK

http://www.irishdeafsociety.ie/news-eve ... 4e786ad5d4

Either way, legal advice can be sought, the important thing to do here is protest the discrimination.

Shazzbatt

Postby Shazzbatt » February 3rd, 2013, 11:11 am

Interesting.

Fantastica

Postby Fantastica » February 3rd, 2013, 11:24 am

Martin_Allcock wrote:Another thought. If the World Society of Deaf Magicians have requested an interpreter for the convention then if Derek agreed to allowing the facility but insisted it was at your cost would that have been acceptable to you?

Just a note - I am merely putting an alternative viewpoint across not my own personal one. I see no reason why a signing interpreter shouldn't be allowed.

Martin I am a bit surprised on your posting, but your comments are welcome.
we the deaf do not have equal services as hearing magicians, yet we pay the full price, if you pay the full price then you recieve and expect the full service.
we had legal advice last year and he/his organisers are breaking the law.
Mr Lever refuses an Interpreter as he/she would have access to magic secrets, but the Interperters ARE magicians.

Then he says Interpreters would distract or embarrass attendees. but I never have any complains

we do not want interpreter all day every day during the convention, only lectures that interest us, so cost is drop in the Ocean compare to the income.

Then Mr Lever says Interpreter cant be in the front and distract lecturers, must be in quite corner or the back, thats no good to us.

your last posting.... WE have an Interpreter who very kindly offer the services free of charge , we did ask if the Interpreter could have free admission to the convention, this was refused must pay in full.
so we were going ahead to bring this Interpreter offering services free, but Mr lever then refused, we dont know if he refused the interpreter or it was personal against that interpreter, he never replied.

remind you, they had Interpreters a few years ago all day and every day, but that was for hearing magicians to communicate with each other if needed,
also not long ago, a lecture by a German person, they supplied a interpreter to translate German into English for hearing magicians, now tell me if there was no Interpreter and it was all in German how would you hearing magicians feel ?, thats what we the deaf feel all the time

Martin I note you are from Manchester, possible going to the Manchester Magic Club, so why dont you talk to him also ask if he would meet us deaf magicians with an interpreter to find out what is his problem, I am happy to meet him,

Lastly do you object to an Interpreter at the Manchester club lectures? if no whats wrong with Blackpool?, you tell me.

nice talking to you , have nice day.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 3rd, 2013, 12:02 pm

It is not a question of asking the Blackpool Magician's Club to pay for the interpreter: services have been offered for FREE.

The people involved have been informed by Mr. Lever that if the interpreter signs for them they will be thrown out of the convention (and presumably, since he likes to do this so much) banned.

This is a case for a lawyer in the UK to do some pro-bono work regarding protecting the rights of the disabled.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 3rd, 2013, 12:26 pm

Has Derek Lever ever actually sued anyone? Threatening to sue someone is a very dumb strategy, since if you fail to do so, your bluff has failed. I would never threaten to sue unless the papers had been prepared and I was on the courthouse steps about to file them.

Lever's basis for suing seems to be limited to confidential information and copyright -- the lawyers that handle those kinds of suits are very expensive -- and he has another problem -- he's in the UK, if he wants to sue someone outside the UK has to use local law and local lawyers. All very expensive and complicated.

And who is the plaintiff? Is it Lever or the magic club? Do the members of the magic club want to become entangled in lawsuits? How come we never hear from them.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » February 3rd, 2013, 12:27 pm

Needed:
Lawyer
British
Magician
Familiar with interpreters at lectures

Anybody got Guy Hollingworth on speed dial?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 3rd, 2013, 12:43 pm

You need someone who specializes in British law regarding discrimination against the handicapped who will work pro-bono. That is not Guy Hollingworth's area.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 3rd, 2013, 1:21 pm

Hi John

The Blackpool Convention is produced by the Blackpool Magicians Club - who are FISM members.

Might I suggest you lodge a formal complaint with FISM - the more awareness you have of this matter the better. You can mark your letter for the attention of Domenico Dante and email it to info at fism dot org

Keep your complaint as factual as you can - as you have described to us ... you are wishing to attend the convention, you have arranged at your own cost the services of an interpreter - and yet the Blackpool Magicians Club are refusing to allow the interpreter to sign at the event. I would include any supporting documentation to your letter.

Once you have lodged your complaint - I would also circulate it to MagicNZ - and definitely make contact with the mainstream media in England and alert them to the situation. You may also wish to alert the management of the Winter Gardens.

What fascinates me is how the many decent members of the Blackpool Magicians Club are prepared to all be complicit in this.

I hope you manage to resolve the issue. Good luck.

TomCrosbie

Postby TomCrosbie » February 3rd, 2013, 1:28 pm

So I've just been in touch with another friend of mine, who works with deaf people, and teaches at a school for the deaf. She's not a magician, but I explained about the convention etc.

I showed her this forum, and the website (Cheers goat) - and she came back with this:

Hi Tom, just been googling re the above blatant discrimination against Deaf people. Am sure the Disability Discrimination Act would be breached if the Deaf magicians and fans were not allowed to attend or make provision so that they can have full access to the Blackpool Magic Convention. Found this extract in the Buckinghamshire Disability Service which sums up nicely what should happen.

"Disabled people are people first. They have all the same wishes and needs of non-disabled people. They want to be able to come and go like everyone else, to have the same freedom of movement and choice as others, and to be able to do all the things others do. Neither are disabled people a uniform or homogenous group in terms of their tastes and preferences. Disabled people are young, older and in-between; some have families and friends and some are alone; some prefer picnicking to eating at cafes; some like to be close to the action while others like to be on the periphery.

Event arrangements should therefore aim to give disabled people the same degree of freedom that non-disabled people have, or where this is not possible to offer the highest degree of freedom that can be reasonably achieved. Isolating, segregating, channelling or restricting disabled people should always be avoided.

Disabled people do not all have the same type of disability and facilities which help some will hinder others. Arrangements therefore should be made to support all of the 6 main groups: people with particular care needs; people with learning or mental health issues; people with hearing loss; people with visual impairment; ambulant disabled people; and wheelchair users."

Hope this helps your campaign Tom. If I was ever witness to discrimination against Deaf people, obviously because I am so Deaf Aware and work closely with Deaf people, and have friends who are Deaf, I would be shouting very loudly on their behalf.

Take care xxx
"Magic is the ability to do something - really really fast"

Shazzbatt

Postby Shazzbatt » February 3rd, 2013, 2:08 pm

Johnny,

No need to be surprised at my comments. They were in no way personal or intended to offend. I was merely playing devils advocate and offering alternative thoughts and points of view to the discussion.

I am fully supportive of you in this issue and detest any form of descrimination, whether against disabilities, sex, race, age etc. As I mentioned previously I AM a member at the Manchester Club and have attended many, many meetings where there has been a signing provision for the deaf member. The young lady sits at the front a few feet to the side of the lecturer (immediately in front of our deaf member) and interprets for him. It is no problem at all. In fact in some meetings the lecturer has been able to have a bit of fun with the interpreter which only helps to make the meeting more enjoyable. I have no objection whatsoever to her presence, and frankly I wouldn't particularly care if she was a complete stranger (as opposed to a members girlfriend). The interpreter is there to do a job and help out one of our members.

The next MCM meeting is Feb 11th, next Monday. Maybe I will mention it to him.

Based on what you have said it seems to me that his biggest objection is that the interpreter would somehow be "in the way" and some sort of distraction to the other attendees, yet he of all people should realise from the experience at the Manchester Club that this is not the case. I genuinely don't understand it.

Best of luck with this issue. I genuinely hope it can be resolved to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Martin.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » February 3rd, 2013, 2:18 pm

The Winter Gardens are now owned by Blackpool Council (who as a council must be seen to be meeting and exceeding the DDA) and managed for them by Merlin (the worlds biggest leisure attraction operator) both of whom would be incredibly susceptible to a public-pressure campaign and would be very keen to be seen to be addressing the problem and taking action. They are also the only people who could actively force BMC in to taking action as there will undoubtedly be a contract clause in the venue hire document that compels the convention to comply with relevant laws and not produce adverse publicity for the venue.

A well written press release publicly naming and calling on Blackpool Council & Merlin to condemn what has been said and insist on BMC allowing signers, sent to the "usual suspects" of outraged national newspapers would get this national attention and resolved within days. Copy it in to the major Deaf campaigning organisations and you'll get some extra support from them and provide a useful springboard for them to highlight their own problems.

It would be ESSENTIAL to ensure that the press release states in no uncertain terms that you have EXPERIENCED, APPROVED, "magic" signers available as the only possible media defence would be for BMC to claim that they couldn't get anyone in time or that they'd outrage magician's if they used signers who hadn't signed up to the magicians code of secrecy. By stating from the outset that you have signers approved by other magic organisations available you'll ensure there's nothing they can use as a delaying tactic to avoid addressing this issue NOW.

Finally, put on some asbestos underwear; Derek can be very firey when he's upset :-p
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Fantastica

Postby Fantastica » February 3rd, 2013, 2:49 pm

Martin_Allcock wrote:Johnny,

No need to be surprised at my comments. They were in no way personal or intended to offend. I was merely playing devils advocate and offering alternative thoughts and points of view to the discussion.

I am fully supportive of you in this issue and detest any form of descrimination, whether against disabilities, sex, race, age etc. As I mentioned previously I AM a member at the Manchester Club and have attended many, many meetings where there has been a signing provision for the deaf member. The young lady sits at the front a few feet to the side of the lecturer (immediately in front of our deaf member) and interprets for him. It is no problem at all. In fact in some meetings the lecturer has been able to have a bit of fun with the interpreter which only helps to make the meeting more enjoyable. I have no objection whatsoever to her presence, and frankly I wouldn't particularly care if she was a complete stranger (as opposed to a members girlfriend). The interpreter is there to do a job and help out one of our members.

The next MCM meeting is Feb 11th, next Monday. Maybe I will mention it to him.

Based on what you have said it seems to me that his biggest objection is that the interpreter would somehow be "in the way" and some sort of distraction to the other attendees, yet he of all people should realise from the experience at the Manchester Club that this is not the case. I genuinely don't understand it.

Best of luck with this issue. I genuinely hope it can be resolved to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Martin.

Martin.. I apologize if I said something out of place, didnt mean to.
as you said you have seen the Interpreter at manchester club, but it has only started not been for years, it started because interpreter ignored everything and did the job.
yes correct nobody objects also correct many lecturers have a bit of banter, and the audience have a bit of fun too, some even learn a sign or two

also please ask Mr lever why he objects, it seems more than just getting in the way.

b
est wishes

Tom Pilling

Postby Tom Pilling » February 3rd, 2013, 7:27 pm

Johnny, you are being totally reasonable.

To any reader who is still confused:

Within the Equality Act (2010), there is enshrined a concept known as "REASONABLE ADJUSTMENT". It is this concept, this provision, which means that Derek Lever, and the other organisers, and the venue itself, are all acting UNLAWFULLY. That word means: AGAINST THE LAW of the United Kingdom.

It is really, really simple.

If one wanted to pursue it, legally, as Johnny has said, it would require a legal action. This legal action would WIN. However, it would be costly and upsetting to go through.

Basically, if a bunch of non-deaf people want to dither about it, then shame on them. SHAME ON THEM.

God help any one of them if they ever find themselves witha disability. God help them, because people like them certainly will not be doing any helping. One thing is for sure, if they don't get pushed under a bus first, they will reach senility. I hope they then get just what they deserve from a similar bunch of people.

What a selfish, ignorant bunch of morons.

How this discussion is even happening in 2013 makes me ashamed to be English, ashamed to hail from Lancashire, and ashamed to be involved with magic. God rot Derek Lever.

Fantastica

Postby Fantastica » February 5th, 2013, 4:48 am

Good Morning Guys

Past few days racking my old brian on what to do, very difficult and stressful,

1. Take out court order to stop Convention.
Out of question would hurt many Magicians.

2. Find Lawyer to send official letter.
A Lawyer helped me write a letter last year
but it was ignored, slow and expensive process.

3. Send another letter with copy letters to Blackpool
Council, local and National papers, also T.V.
This maybe the best move?

Help me guys to choose please, time getting short, will send letters by special delivery meaning they have to sign for it, Thanks

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » February 5th, 2013, 5:15 am

Take up damian's offer of help with a press release, send it to the press, calling on Blackpool Council & Merlin to take action (as i outlined in my posting) and this will be resolved in a couple of days

thomasmoorecreative

Harrizon

Postby Harrizon » February 5th, 2013, 5:45 am

Pressure on Blackpool Council at this "late stage" (in terms of legal action) and possibly contacting the Media has to be the best way forwards.

I have also offered through Facebook to print 1,000 A5 leaflets detailing the discrimination, on which I would suggest promoting a "Silent Protest", where attendees of lectures without Sign Language Interpreters are encouraged not to applaud any performer audibly but to Sign their applause... and should this not change the organisers minds over the weekend, to do the same during the Gala Show.

These leaflets could easily be distributed each evening at the Ruskin Hotel, and after applying for a suitable licence with the council, outside the Winter Gardens.

magicshaw

Postby magicshaw » February 5th, 2013, 6:47 am

On a side note, it seem past couple years Blackpool have had some controversies to talk about.

There was George King saga, Wayne Dobson & David Penn issue.....

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 5th, 2013, 10:31 am

Tom Moore wrote:Take up damian's offer of help with a press release, send it to the press, calling on Blackpool Council & Merlin to take action (as i outlined in my posting) and this will be resolved in a couple of days

Press release has been drafted, and will not only go to the council, but also local press, radio and TV as well as the plethora of magic media contacts I've built up doing the marketing for EMC and Genii Bash.

This will be stopped.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 5th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Damian - I'm sure I speak for many people here ... thank you for helping with this cause.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 5th, 2013, 12:44 pm

CraigMitchell wrote:Damian - I'm sure I speak for many people here ... thank you for helping with this cause.

It's my pleasure.

One way people could easily help is to post the twitter and website accounts on their sites/facebook pages/twitter accounts. Help this gather some steam as there is VERY little time left.

deafdiscrimination.wordpress.com
twitter.com/deafmagicians

Harrizon

Postby Harrizon » February 6th, 2013, 4:06 am

Has anyone seen the Bull**** on the BMC site - basically a statement from an anonymous source (DL?) within the organisation stating "Blackpool Magicians Club do not provide Signers at the Blackpool Magicians Convention due to Fire Regulations and Health and Safety issues.
Gangways must be kept absolutely clear at all times, not just in the Opera House but also in the Pavilion Theatre and Spanish Hall venues. As responsible hirers of the building Clause 2.2 of our contract specifically states Any loss or damage to property, personal injury or death suffered by any person as a result of any failure of the Organiser to ensure that the Venue is safe, shall make the Organiser liable...."

It continues... but I'll let you have the "pleasure" of reading it all and making up your own minds...

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » February 6th, 2013, 4:45 am

Please tell me you'll include the BMC comment that they can't have Signers because of "fire regulations" in the press release - it's priceless (and complete bollox)

As someone who's licensed many venue's, festivals and events i can say absolutely without any doubt that the stated "legal" reasons why they can't have signers are nonsense and that there absolutely are regulations and requirements that say that if there is a reasonable demand for signers they must provide them. Any judge would rule that since there's a group of deaf magicians attending who have specifically asked for them and even offered to meet the cost themselves it's entirely unreasonable and against the regulations for BMC to refuse.

You should make sure each of the signers carries a fire extinguisher just in case they spontaneously combust though...

(oh and hello Derek)

thomasmoorecreative

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 6th, 2013, 5:10 am

Statement from Blackpool Magicians Club
Posted on 5th February 2013

DEAF MAGICIANS AT BLACKPOOL CONVENTION

Blackpool Magicians Club do not provide Signers at the Blackpool Magicians Convention due to Fire Regulations and Health and Safety issues.

Gangways must be kept absolutely clear at all times, not just in the Opera House but also in the Pavilion Theatre and Spanish Hall venues. As responsible hirers of the building Clause 2.2 of our contract specifically states Any loss or damage to property, personal injury or death suffered by any person as a result of any failure of the Organiser to ensure that the Venue is safe, shall make the Organiser liable.

There is no legislation that requires the Blackpool Magicians Club or anyone else to provide Signers in the Winter Gardens, Opera House or any other venue in the United Kingdom. It is impractical to do so. We have no objection to a Signer accompanying a deaf magician as long as they sit in an adjoining seat. Our Registration Officer receives many requests from magicians with bad legs, eyesight problems, urinary problems etc and does his best to help them all. But with 3,000 people attending it is not possible to please everyone.

Blind people have as much right as Deaf persons to receive extra consideration, so have wheelchair users etc. There are only a limited number of spaces in the Opera House which are available for wheel chairs but we do our best to help everyone.

The Wailing Banshees on Forums are, in the main, not deaf people but opportunists who are jealous of the huge success of the Blackpool Magicians Convention and have an axe to grind. Richard Kaufman has for the past 5 years denigrated Blackpool Magicians Convention and the town, BUT STILL WANTS TO ATTEND SO THAT HE CAN DISTRIBUTE HIS LEAFLETS AND HAVE A DEALER BOOTH. He deserves to be banned!

John Gapp was informed by letter 3 years ago that it was not possible to have Signers due to Fire Regulations and Health and Safety issues. He has harrassed various Officers with letters, on a regular basis, since then. The latest dispute is NOT about Signers but about his attempt to approach every Dealer at the Convention with a letter telling them that they should not put their instructions on just a DVD but provide written instructions as well. Our house rules make it crystal clear that this distrubution of leaflets etc is not allowed. He was told that all the Dealers details are in the programme and that he should contact them that way instead of using the Convention to push his own agenda.

Blackpool Magicians Club utterly condemn the vicious attacks made on Convention Organiser Derek Lever who has to make decisions based on the law and who continues to make the Blackpool Magicians Convention the biggest and best Convention in the world.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 6th, 2013, 5:21 am

Tom Moore wrote:You should make sure each of the signers carries a fire extinguisher just in case they spontaneously combust though...

Now that's priceless !

Harrizon

Postby Harrizon » February 6th, 2013, 5:47 am

Tom, as someone who has worked also in event management, and has been employed as as Private H&S Officer for countless High Risk events around the UK, working alongside local councils, Police & Fire Services, The CAA and the HSE; attracting upwards of 20,000 people per event with an "exemplary Health & Safety Record" I find The BMC's statement the biggest load of tosh about.

The BMC have taken the parts of their venue hire contract which suit them, and have probably chosen to ignore the other parts which deal with disabilities etc to suit their own needs. (If The BMC or Derek wish to deny this, I'll happily offer to receive a full copy of their venue hire contract via email to review (mail@harrizon.co.uk) and post my findings honestly and openly here and anywhere else they wish to choose).

The idea that signers stood in aisles (did anyone request this is where they should be stood?) present a "Fire Hazard" is complete madness! If anything, the presence of an individual at the front of the room with knowledge and experience of the needs of those with disabilities, at no cost to them, should be accepted as a positive thing.

Of course, if the BMC are going to ban signers, I should also hope that there will be an announcement at the start of each and every lecture stating that the audience MUST NOT leave their seats and venture into the aisles (to exit the room / join the performer on stage as a volunteer etc) in case of fire. Anything else would, according to them be in breach of their contract and responsibilities.

Further more, I would suggest that to avoid blockages in the aisles during the Gala Show, all those who are awarded a trophy etc must remain in their seats and can only collect their trophies after the event.

The BMC's statement is ridiculous, and has obviously been written by an unqualified, inexperienced individual in a hurry to try and minimise the damage that is about to ensue, and would be torn to shreds by Blackpool Council's H&S / Licensing Team and the HSE. Should either of these organisations become involved in this matter, I would hope that they will also request and review the BMC's full Risk Assessment and if necessary ask for those items that are lacking to be expanded on. I'm sure that their RA docs are fully up to scratch though as responsible event operators...

As for the statement that deals with "a number of jealous individuals" I can assure DL et al that I am certainly not jealous, nor opportunistic - just after what is right for those who have paid a sizeable fee for tickets and should be expecting the same treatment as everyone else.

The suggestion that signers should sit along side a person with hearing impairment is in itself a idiotic thing... This would require one interpreter per deaf person (rather than one per room) and would require that the person in need would be facing to the side of the room, and not towards the performance area... so could not SEE what is going on... again, blatant discrimination!

I certainly hope that Derek Lever, Aurthur Casson and the rest of the Blackpool Magicians Club see sense, although after such a poor "Press Release" I seriously doubt that the issue is resolved until the authorities are asked to review it.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » February 6th, 2013, 6:37 am

Well if that is truly their stated position, then any foreign language translators would also be fire hazards.

I totally agree that safety at that venue is a #1 priority... so Clive Webb and Danny Adams, who threw foam all over the audience two years ago, should be absolutely banned from Blackpool.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 6th, 2013, 8:31 am

Ive been in touch with the BBC regional news for Lancashire, lots of local blackpool websites and local newspapers, along with all the magic media I know and will be issuing the press release about this disgusting nonsense later on today.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » February 6th, 2013, 8:41 am

Damian, you deserve a medal for this. Great work!

magicshaw

Postby magicshaw » February 6th, 2013, 10:47 am

One of these days someone is going to Pull the Lever on Derek :)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 6th, 2013, 10:56 am

Release has now gone out to the news editor at BBC Lancashire.

Light the blue touch paper and stand well back!

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » February 6th, 2013, 10:58 am

Big congrats to the IBM SAM FISM North America team who have confirmed that they will be welcoming deaf magicians to IBM SAM in 2014 and will be supplying sign interpreters for the events ! It's truly wonderful to have such a welcoming approach. If you haven't already registered - DO SO TODAY for the incredibly low early bird special - www.ibmsam.com

Return to “Buzz”