Derek Lever ... Discriminating Against Deaf Magicians

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Derek Lever ... Discriminating Against Deaf Magicians

Postby Q. Kumber » March 1st, 2013, 7:18 am

Fantastica wrote:

The only thing I partially regret was spending 25 on a ticket into the convention and then not attending lectures and getting my money's worth out of it.
I essentially paid 25 for access to a building for the day and Beat The Wand.

I was there on the Friday and Sunday and bought two day registrations for 25 each. (I suppose this means that the attendance was 3,399, not 3,400).

I did not attend any lecture or show and got more than my money's worth.

Incidentally, the upcoming deaf magicians' convention in Chicago is only open to deaf or hard of hearing magicians. Does that mean they are discriminating against hearing magicians?

Fantastica

Postby Fantastica » March 1st, 2013, 9:21 am

Q. Kumber wrote:
Fantastica wrote:

The only thing I partially regret was spending 25 on a ticket into the convention and then not attending lectures and getting my money's worth out of it.
I essentially paid 25 for access to a building for the day and Beat The Wand.

I was there on the Friday and Sunday and bought two day registrations for 25 each. (I suppose this means that the attendance was 3,399, not 3,400).

I did not attend any lecture or show and got more than my money's worth.

Incidentally, the upcoming deaf magicians' convention in Chicago is only open to deaf or hard of hearing magicians. Does that mean they are discriminating against hearing magicians?

correction our conventions are open to everyone, but the competitions itself are for deaf and hard of hearing, due to music etc

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » March 1st, 2013, 9:22 am

Q. Kumber wrote:

Cat, Pigeons. Spanner, Works. And all the fun of the fair.
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » March 1st, 2013, 9:26 am

Q. Kumber wrote:Incidentally, the upcoming deaf magicians' convention in Chicago is only open to deaf or hard of hearing magicians. Does that mean they are discriminating against hearing magicians?

Your question oozes with privilege.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 1st, 2013, 10:31 am

Ted M wrote:
Q. Kumber wrote:Incidentally, the upcoming deaf magicians' convention in Chicago is only open to deaf or hard of hearing magicians. Does that mean they are discriminating against hearing magicians?

Ted, you are correct because as a non-deaf magician I would have to pay $300 extra to register. I would be very privileged.

However I did intend to finish my original question with a smiley emoticon which hasn't appeared, and I can't get one to appear here either.

Fantastica

Postby Fantastica » March 1st, 2013, 10:44 am

Q. Kumber wrote:
Ted M wrote:

Ted, you are correct because as a non-deaf magician I would have to pay $300 extra to register. I would be very privileged.

However I did intend to finish my original question with a smiley emoticon which hasn't appeared, and I can't get one to appear here either.

Q Kumber where did you get that from? all are welcome to our festival, to enter the competition you have to be deaf or hard of hearing.

same as Blackpool you can go there, but to enter competition you MUST be invited only, so thats no different,

Fantastica

Postby Fantastica » March 1st, 2013, 11:16 am

Fantastica wrote:
Q. Kumber wrote:
Ted M wrote:

Q Kumber where did you get that from? all are welcome to our festival, to enter the competition you have to be deaf or hard of hearing.

same as Blackpool you can go there, but to enter competition you MUST be invited only, so thats no different,

As a hearing person you do NOT have to pay $300 extra, everyone pays the same, if you enter the competitions then it is slightly cheaper, our registeration fee covers 7 days full board at hotel, trips to interesting places, entry to all performnces, shows, and workshops, gift bags etc, also banquet dinner. and you hearing will have translators as well LOL

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 1st, 2013, 1:52 pm

The information came from here http://www.deafmagic.com/world_wdmf_2014.html

If you go to the bottom of the page you will see two links to registration forms.

I emailed Morgan to clarify and he said the convention was for deaf magicians only, and all others were considered Tourists.

Regardless of this side issue, I am fully in favour of you bringing your signer to a convention and having them placed where they can be seen by the audience.

Fantastica

Postby Fantastica » March 1st, 2013, 2:19 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:The information came from here http://www.deafmagic.com/world_wdmf_2014.html

If you go to the bottom of the page you will see two links to registration forms.

I emailed Morgan to clarify and he said the convention was for deaf magicians only, and all others were considered Tourists.

Regardless of this side issue, I am fully in favour of you bringing your signer to a convention and having them placed where they can be seen by the audience.

It seems you have a misunderstanding, there are two levels of registeration, one for those taking part in the competitions who must be deaf or Hard of hearing.
and the other whom we class as tourists, these are deaf & hearing who are not taking part in the competitions,
so hearing are welcome as well, hearing persons do not have to pay extra because they can hear, they pay same as deaf who dont take part in competitions.
the price is very reasonable for what you get for 7 days at the hotel, which I already mentioned.

I know and am authorised as I am President of Society of World Deaf Magicians, the festival and rules are ours, Mr Morgan and his team are orgainsing it on our behalf.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » March 1st, 2013, 3:11 pm

Thank you for the clarification.

It's an interesting way to get competitors.

Fantastica

Postby Fantastica » March 1st, 2013, 3:34 pm

Q. Kumber wrote:Thank you for the clarification.

It's an interesting way to get competitors.

No Problem Q, welcome.

As the deaf competitors themselves come from all over the world,
they have to send in DVD or videos to prove they are good enough.
also if you like to know all the judges are HEARING.

so we do not push hearing out it is vice versa in some cases.

Return to “Buzz”