Horrible Wallets

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
PapaG

Re: Horrible

Postby PapaG » December 31st, 2012, 12:31 pm

Ian Kendall wrote:The _point_ of a card to wallet (or any object to impossible location, for that matter) is that the final destination should be in play for as little time as possible. If you change this around, you are just providing more possible solutions, often to the dilution of the effect.

Hmm... One of the best card to impossible location effects has to be Tommy Wonder's card box. The box sits on the table from the beginning of the routine and attention is drawn to it from the outset. That's one of the reasons it's such a powerful effect.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » December 31st, 2012, 12:31 pm

I wonder how many magicians there are who do a good palm; but use a non-palm card to wallet?

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » December 31st, 2012, 12:31 pm

My feeling is that the card should be withdrawn face down, building suspense. Just watch any card revelation by Tamariz.

And with all the talk about wallets, use whichever method or model which does the best job for your routine and with which you are most comfortable.

What I particularly liked about the Francis Carlyle routine is that the wallet is in play before the signed cards (apparently) vanish.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 31st, 2012, 12:44 pm

El Mystico wrote:I wonder how many magicians there are who do a good palm; but use a non-palm card to wallet?

Lol, very few I imagine.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » December 31st, 2012, 2:05 pm

An alternative approach would be using a holdout such as the UCCU or maybe TKO 2, which allows the use of any wallet, even the spectator's. The drawback there is that the performer is holding the wallet at the time of the revelation. Using such a device requires skill and practice much the same as learning to palm well, though, so stick with what works for you.

I would surmise that a no-palm wallet makes the job a bit easier, but like some of you I do not like placing the wallet onto the deck.

Choose your weapon.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » December 31st, 2012, 4:16 pm

Personally I prefer to leave the wallet in full view and load it in full view. I happen to think this is a stronger take.In fact I sometimes do a repeat of it. This video shows an example. Forgive the bad angles and such as it was shot with a web cam but it is exactly as I do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IzUsZI0hjs

Tony
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 31st, 2012, 8:16 pm

Doomo wrote:Personally I prefer to leave the wallet in full view and load it in full view. I happen to think this is a stronger take.In fact I sometimes do a repeat of it. This video shows an example. Forgive the bad angles and such as it was shot with a web cam but it is exactly as I do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IzUsZI0hjs

Tony

As you fooled the tits off me doing it at the genii convention. Seemed just impossible you could load it that fast.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 31st, 2012, 10:44 pm

Tony makes the best wallets. You can quote me. He's like some little Italian artisan in Europe, except he's a fat guy in Ohio. But the wallets ... perfecto!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 31st, 2012, 11:25 pm

Yes, his wallets are amazing, and they are beautifully made.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » January 5th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Succumbed to the raves and ordered Tonys Triple Threat Wallet (along with Pocket Space Plus). Very clever stuff, and yes well made. Must stop before RFA has all my cash.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

JFox

Postby JFox » June 17th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Not being a "card man", I do a No-Palm Wallet routine with an
"Elite Himber-Bombshell Wallet" from The Camarind Magic Academy.

The deck is nowhere near the wallet as the "load" is done...and I'm literally loading the signed card in full view of everyone (but they don't know that), as part of the routine.

The boldness of it brings smile to my face.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » June 17th, 2014, 5:52 pm

A BIT large isn't it?
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

JFox

Postby JFox » June 17th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Large? - yes, but not as large as Dave's original Bombshell Wallet.

To a sleight-of-hand purist - no way would they use the "Himber/Bombshell" wallet.

But for a no-palm wallet --it works for me.

Straight out of "Card to Wallet" book. ...and NO laying the deck momentarily on the wallet, as in the Mullica and the Shawn Farqufar versions (In fact, the deck is in my outer jacket pocket, during the signed-card load)

I know, I know...Hey, bud - just learn to palm card well & to load it, without these gimmicky wallets. But until then, this works for me. :-P

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 17th, 2014, 7:33 pm

JFox wrote:Large? - yes, but not as large as Dave's original Bombshell Wallet.

Not as large as a bus either.

Tony's no palm wallet looks like a regular wallet. That is the key to it working.

M.Lee

Postby M.Lee » June 19th, 2014, 10:31 am

God Bless Jennings & Himber ! as Vernon was fond of expressing "More Great magic has been ruined by 'Improvements "
I use the LJ wallet and have for yrs , the thing has contribuited to paying my rent in an Evening ( good enough for me ) .. I still have people come up to me yrs later asking 'How did my signed card appear in your wallet ? , They then take said signed card out of there wallet/ purse to show that they still have it and hopefully appreciate that moment.
Im a student/ friend of Jeff Sheridan, both he and I have debaited the subject of " improvements" for some time. Not sure that there is any easy answere as given the right amount of thought/ Justifaction Many things can be considered improved...In the end Its all a learning process and food for thought.

ML

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 20th, 2014, 7:33 am

Try this with a Himber wallet: you're wearing a jacket, with the wallet in an inside pocket along with a Sharpie. Reach for the Sharpie and as you do, shift the Himber wallet under your arm (still under the coat). Position it so one opening side is up.

Take out the Sharpie and table it. Have a card selected, signed and "lost" in the deck. Palm out the card as you reach in for your wallet. You load it in the Himber.

Remove the Himber, open it to the empty side and say you'll bet the contents if you can't find the card.

Look for the card. Can't find it. Open wallet to show card in there.

The advantage here is that the wallet is shown empty and then never moves out of sight.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 20th, 2014, 8:22 am

Bob Farmer has accidentally stumbled upon a brilloiant idea. He has "changed the moment" in the Card to Wallet effect so, although you load the thing, it doesn't appear you have done so. Then the wallet takes care of making the card appear when you do nothing.

That's Bob's favorite thing, doing nothing.

Matt Field

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » June 20th, 2014, 8:43 am

Yes Matt, Brilliant thinking that makes for better magic. Well done Mr. Farmer.

And Mods, can we please change the title of this topic to something more searchable?

Even 'Horrible Wallets', would be better.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 20th, 2014, 9:25 am

I love to work at nothing all day, to quote BTO.

Actually, my original routine involved two cards. The effect was this: two cards selected, signed and lost in the deck. Wallet removed. First card appears in wallet (now wallet is apparently empty). Close wallet. do it again for second card--now it's really strong.

This was based on a simple idea: with the Himber wallet under your arm, you can load one card by going down from the top and the second card by going up from the bottom. The first load was done as the pen was put away, the second load was done as the wallet was removed and shown.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Re: Horrible Wallets

Postby Leonard Hevia » June 20th, 2014, 10:00 am

Farmer wrote about his unpublished Bendix Bombshell wallet routine. Will that see the light of day?

Return to “Buzz”