Charlotte Pendragon's so-called "Pendragon Sands"

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
West McDonough

Charlotte Pendragon's so-called "Pendragon Sands"

Postby West McDonough » November 22nd, 2012, 11:43 pm

It has been brought to Jonathan's and my attention that Charlotte has begun distribution of "her" version of the clear-water Sands trick, a signature piece of Jonathan's. Furthermore, the places in which it is sold are billing it as being "by the Pendragons," as if Jonathan was somehow involved, supported, or at least gave permission for this version. Since Jonathan has endeavored since the split not to air his and Charlotte's dirty laundry in public forums, I have taken upon myself the task of alerting the magic community that he, in fact, is not involved in this product in any way.

Although the treated sand itself is from a very old published recipe and was invented by neither Jonathan nor Charlotte, and I assume that the aquarium presentation is of Charlotte's devise, the bowl itself and the technique for clear water performance of this effect is all of Jonathan's devise. Charlotte had nothing to do with creating it, and Jonathan has not authorized her to sell itit would be ridiculous for him to do so, since he sells a Sands kit of his own. I do not know if he can actually stop herit is a holiday and we can't consult our attorney until afterwardsI wish to make the situation clear and known on as many magician-frequented venues as possible.

I have written to both Murphy's Magic and Penguin Magic asking them to rectify the situation. At the very least I have requested that they either change the billing of the trick away from "the Pendragons" (Jonathan has been very careful to avoid billing anything he does as "the Pendragons" since the act split up) or to prominently insert a clear disclaimer that Jonathan Pendragon has nothing to do with the manufacture of this product and does not support it.

I have written to both Murphy's Magic and Penguin Magic asking them to rectify the situation. These are the only two places I have found this kit for sale; if you see any others, I would appreciate knowing about it so I may contact them as well. At the very least I have requested that they either change the billing of the trick away from "the Pendragons" (Jonathan has been very careful to avoid billing anything he does as "the Pendragons" since the act split up) or to prominently insert a clear disclaimer that Jonathan Pendragon has nothing to do with the manufacture of this product and does not support it.

On a personal note, I will also mention that two and a half years ago, when I first wished to learn this effect (long before I met Jonathan), I paid Charlotte for a set which was never sent to me. For several months I received continual excuses, and eventually she stopped responding to my calls and emails. In time I gave up, ate my loss, and hired Jonathan as a consultant to teach me the trick instead... which is, in fact, how I met him. Eventually, about a year and a half later when I met Charlotte to handle the exchange of some property, she offered to finally bring my kit, but since I now have access to Jonathan's set, I declined. She never offered a refund.

Tom Stone

Re: Charlotte Pendragon's so-called "Pendragon Sands"

Postby Tom Stone » November 23rd, 2012, 8:28 am

To make it clear what the item is:
http://youtu.be/sK0IHb0m9rU

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Charlotte Pendragon's so-called "Pendragon Sands"

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 23rd, 2012, 10:45 am

I've cleaned up this thread and will now lock it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Buzz”