We're Back From the Genii Bash!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: We're Back From the Genii Bash!

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 16th, 2012, 2:29 am

Bummer!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » October 16th, 2012, 12:15 pm

Let me see if I can take a small hour of my time to put a few of my words into cyber space. Richard you had organized one hell of a Birthday Party! There are Conventions, Get Togethers...this was as advertised, a Birthday Bash!

After taking 5 years off from NYC television career,(in order to help raise my boy) I just got hired back by a Madison Avenue Advertising house, and thought I should finally start to watch Mad Men, along my travels to Orlando. This convention was full of Mad Men, but a closer description would be Made Men. This was a group of 30 Made Magic Men, with more attending. I would like to see the list of those that were asked, but couldn't make it. I bet it was only a few. Every big name in magic was there. I imagine if you get a call from RK....the answer is "Yes."

I wanted to attend because, there were a hand-ful of acts that I had never seen before, and I have been to a convention a year since 1976! I was really looking forward to Zabercky, Stone, Geller, Ben, Sawa, and of course YIIIISSS YISSSSS Juan.

I arrived Thursday at noon, and didn't seem to get the message that check-in at the Convention Hotel wasn't till 4pm. So, for the first three hours I was reduced to wheeling my stupid bags around. The only lecture I missed was Ian that morning. I did catch Ian the other mornings, and kudos to the guy who can entertain and enlighten magicians at 8am. Ian has chops, life lessons and the deepest voice in magic.

Who knew Kaufman had chops? I've been told, but it was great to see the Chief produce 4 Aces with a flourish, and a smile.

....the order of performers may be out of order here, and yes, I still need to crack open my toy chest, (probably hides the running order list.)

Woody was fun. He looks terrific. Gone was the over-sized jacket, in was a thinner more modern dressed Woody. His card workings can make you cry. I will again confess here that I am not very interested in cards or coins, maybe this wasn't a convention that I could fully appreciate, but good card magic transcends my dis-like for the Pasties throughout the Genii Bash.

Eugene Burger was short. A real professional leaves you wanting more. I can never get enough of Eugene, but he needs to dig deeper because we NEED him to. I felt like he just scratched the surface. This Magic House of ours has many rooms, we need a strong foundation. Careful with that Ax Eugene.

Levitt borrowed a version of the Card Rise from Thurston.I liked that the cards levitated 3 or 4 feet above the deck!

Peter Samuelson performed a poetic retrospective Gypsy thread. Nice music with a love/hate theme. He then brought up two teens and told of a love themed story with a Mutilated Parasol as magical prop. Peter is a wonderful storyteller, and uses magic to accent the act, not over-shadow it. Snow Storm final.

Yumi. I got to spend a few hours with Yumi as she resided in Poughkeepsie last year. Words can not describe her act, the beauty and elegance of her magic would just get lost. Flawless magic that happens to a young gal in a garden of Spring.

Sonny Fontana. This act was incomplete, and probably can never be performed with a proper finish. Great idea. This act reminded me of trial FISM acts. The story revolves around an "Invisible Man." Eventually after two or three items appear to be moving by an invisible hand/man...he does appear, Well, only his torso, and even that looked to be stolen from the Batman muscle/chest Halloween Store. His head never appears, and here lies the problem. There is no way to make a head appear, unless it is a facial mask. people want to see your eyes at the end, your face. This act was a flop. Sonny has reached his Peter Principal Pinnacle. We would have been much Happier with his hand-shadows that melt hearts. Fail.

Dr Sawa never lets you down, unless he is dressed as a colorful Cowboy, with music lyrics that are "We don't smoke Marijuana, and don't do LSD." You think that if a guy dressed as a cowboy who does rope tricks, would at least try a few rope wrangler tricks first, the body loop, the Cowpoke....Nope, right into rope tricks. Dr. Sawa's wife did a silk flag routine dressed as a UN Delegate, with her hat doubling as Change bag. her music also sucked. Banarama's "I'm Your Venus"...No your not, you an older Asian lady dressed as a UN delegate. I have always said that music with lyrics suck as magic music. So now,I will never be able to got back to that Banarama 5 girl spank bank without thinking about flags, hats, and wrinkles. After the wife paraded flag day, Dr. Sawa came back out in dark velvet trousers, and did a nice routine with gold rings. The slow unlinking rings still remains one of out strongest pieces of magic. This time the music was a soft piano, more his style.

Alex Ramon. Blade boxes with a smile. In fact that is his only expression, big plastered smile. His tux has red suspenders that drop down, in a style that hasn't been seen since the 1990's. I didn't care for that, but he seems to like it, as he wore those drooping red suspenders all day Saturday too. Not sure if it works for him. His teeth so white, not a hair out of place, and then to have this un-kempt thing...just doesn't work for him. Fire your stylist, you would look better in the relaxed Lance Burton Tap-Out T. Alex did have the best trick at the convention. I believe it was a Steinmeyer piece. Alex introduces an I-pad with a "New App" that can tell weather your are telling the truth, or lying. He than goes into a sucker die box routine with the I-pad, that is just a scream! This piece had schtick, a story, and strong magic. Big BIG HIT! This might even be my vote for trick of the decade! His last illusion was another piece that probably was a Steinmeyer piece. This was an illusion that is really hard to describe. There was a rather large metallic looking frame? Frames? and a light bulb that vanished the second the light was extinguished. This just left you mesmerized as it probably had a little help from Dr.Pepper. His assistant was a real professional, who took a blade like a champ!

Jamie Ian Swiss Predicts change in a gal's pocket. Wonderful conversation with the gal first, another Professional working his magic, darting around obstacles, leaving tiny hints of foreshadow in his presentation. he went on to explain the difference between "Mentalism" and "Mental Magic"...I don't know if I either missed the point, or just couldn't grasp the difference, but did come away with the idea to stick with an all Mentalism Show... I liked that he taught two ways to soften the blow of a "Too Perfect Trick" 1. Raise the evidence 2. Soften or lower the claim. He said to add a layer of procedure, that this sends the mind off on a tangent. The other idea he wanted to emphasize was to avoid the "proper-noun" predictions. OK advise, but then the Master Uri Geller broke such a rule a few hours later predicting the color "Green" from the thoughts of an audience member. OK, now I'm thoroughly confused, I better stick with comedy.

Ian Kendall Great fun, explained a top-change card trick...."Think of Pink, Warm, Fuzzy thoughts" My mind went elsewhere. I did hear a new catch phrase from Ian, one I have never heard before..."Burn Proof." I like that! I also liked the way he described lowering the Hot hand,,,as "Your hand dies." At one point he flubbed a move, and blew big raspberries at himself, but into the first row. That was un-professional, who knew the first row would be in the splashzone?

Outside in the Hall JR Russell turned me onto the Live Scribe pen. Google it, buy it.

Uri Geller. Suddenly all the black cloth drapes were stripped away, the stage was dressed in catering tables, and their beaten-up bliss. At first a few of us, wondered why they wouldn't dress the stage like the SAM did for the Davey Q & A. I guess he wanted it this way. Strip down the curtains...let me reveal myself of this bare stage, and he certainly did. There have been a few moments in my past convention going years that have stood alone. "Ladies and Gentleman Doug Henning and Dai Vernon" ...."Ladies and Gentleman Jason Alexander" and now this. Uri was everything he promised in his Pod-cast. He spoke of his life, and his ride to stardom. A few gems he taught us was. "The secret of success is originality. Coat it with Mysticism." I also thought it was brave of him to boast that he was the first to pioneer Interactive television back in 1974, probably right!!! At one point he needed a gal to assist him, but he explains that a lay-person would be better, he has his eyes on a gal, and asks her, if they have had any connections in the past..."She's my wife" Richard shouts from the sides... Great laughs, Uri works that into his "Special Powers." This was such an up-lifting
lecture. He encouraged us all to become positive thinkers, and "If you can go there with your mind, you can go there with your body." Uri spent time with most of us, in small intimate groups answering all of our questions, this time with him was the highlight of the convention for me.

And... to stick with the positive note, I must mention here my biggest pet-peeve about this convention. If I had five dollars for every time a lecturer would ask "How 's my time?" I could buy that $700 Siegfried and Roy book! Since the invention of the cell-phone, nobody wears a watch anymore. Oh no, the talent has to to go fishing for their cell first. I even had these thoughts that Richard had them on a "Go Over...and don't get paid clause." I mean every stupid lecturer would break down this brillant flow of ideas...to check the time. And when they would look at their watch, I would look at my watch. Lame.

Guy Hollingsworth...same. Brilliant, but same stuff.

Close-up Jon Armstrong, iron your jacket, every room had one.

Roberto Giobbi, trick with ten fruits passed out. Great!

Alba, best top-change in magic today.

Tomo Maeda was mystifying with a lighter side. Performs a traditional piece, makes a ring disappear...and he exclaims that "A good Japanese story always ends with a tear" He was so forthcoming to all convention goers, a wonderful man.

Paul Wilson flawless fun. I wish I had $200 for every Cylinder, Coin and Cork trick at this convention...I could buy that $700 Sig.....After three or four versions (and they don't really differ) I thought, why the cork? Someone has to do this routine with the foil from around a champagne bottle as the cylinder, and now you have a reason for a small piece of cork. Now steal this idea and RUN!

Loved Jon Armstrong Rubber band thru neck!

Tom Stone. Confusing but bewildering cards. Another Cylinder, Coin and Cork...did these guys get together and ask each other "What are you doing?" No, I guess those things are only important in local SAM assembly meetings. Stone does magical things with his shoe appearing almost everywhere except on his foot!

Woody, I love how he gets excited at the reveal! He stands up, claps his hands...like real magic just took place. Yes, another small piece of professionalism on display, and not just acting out a "surprise" but loving every minute of their bewilderment.

John Carney 3 roulette balls and a very large goblet. Nice sound as they are produced and placed into the glass.

Parlor Show. Chad Long. Great fun, excitement a friend of mine said he had never seen Chad before, and was raving about him. I have seen Chad, and was taken back to the first time I saw him. His card from wall remains some of the strongest magic today.

Eric Mead, 3 ball juggling. Picks up a piece of surgical tubing...Only a few people chuckle... "I'm always afraid when Eugene is the only person who laughs at Surgical Tubing" best laugh of the day. Maven calls the Coachman "Burger King Mics" Really? Mead does a thumb tie with the surgical tubing tied in several knots."Is there anyway you can take out the knots?" "Not easily." "Mead says "Defeats the Too Perfect..." This is the insider stuff that makes my convention.

David Ben cards from Roses.

Rob Zwbrecky Wonderful character. I have traveled long distances to see certain performers. Rob was the guy I always read about, but never had the opportunity to see live. This was pure comedy fun, developed around a bizarre character, one that all magicians can relate to. Ends with Blair's Best, a trick I start off with, forgotten by many.

David Ben lectured on "The Coin Magic of Ross Bertram" David is always smartly dressed, and proved to be the professional lecture that he is. he was the only one that used a power point presentation to aid in his education. I must learn more about the "Crossing of the gaze"

Note to future organizers, if your students are going to spent eight hours watching the side-screen close-ups of the table top, please iron the table cloth first, and not so a giant crease runs across the screen. Pet peeve #2. I won't even mention the three overhead lights that were blinking...no strobing for 20 hours straight.

Ben did a very poetic piece on Downs, nice music, storyline, with slide presentation.

Close-up Gala 2 Eric mead again with the Cylinder, Coins and Cork.

Levitt very strange pose when he asked a gal to pick a card. His one leg goes straight back, the other bent and forward like an Olympic runner in a starting gate. Interesting but over exaggerated. This was the longest card trick in the World. I guess there was some counting down, and the male assistant wasn't just going to stop around the 10th....or thirtieth card. Levitt got a little aggravated, or maybe he was acting aggravated, either way, he lost me.

Eugene three tricks with stories. "13 For Dinner" "Carp Warp" with large cards and a Mid-evil torture story, and Gypsy thread. Again this Professional made me wanting more.

Bob White. Texan with a sweet stutter. I'm sorry I couldn't watch, I probably missed a wonderful routine, but ??? It's me...

Dr. Sawa, yes this is the Sawa we like. Coins to story line of the "Push Man in Japanese Subways"

Peter Samuelson Cigar, Coins, Glass, smoke just beautiful. Well thought out miracles.

Jim Steinmeyer. I really liked his menu prediction. Card trick was too complicated....I loved that he showed us this new illusion that was fresh from paint. He talked about how we should go to You-Tube to re-viisit the original Zig-Zag. This new illusion was a thinking man's illusion. Not for the Vegas crowd, don't know what kind of audience it would be for??? Maybe engineers?? After performing it, he broke it down into thoughts on how he achieved the inner workings. This was a rare opportunity to see the wheels of a master work inside a box, and inside the mind of a genius. I had a long discussion with an Illusionist at a Floridian Gator Joint about this illusion, perhaps he missed the preface..."Go and seek the original Zig-Zag on You-Tube."

Pendragons. I love the costume of his wife! Another professional, you can tell by watching her, that she was comfortable on stage. Jon needs to hit a gym, after just one illusion he was huffing into Mr. Coachman. Enough about the bragging about scars, when did this become entertainment? Jon's stepdaughter is one beautiful girl, better suited for the Bryant Park Cat Walk, not the receiver of blades to the gut. It was really good to see Richard and Genii give Jon a second chance. this takes big balls, but Jon deserves it, and needs it. he also needs to work a few details out, like to remember to put the foot stocks in BEFORE the neck stocks, probably done in the past by some man in black, missing from this night's performance.

Charlie Frye. Flawless 25 minutes of solid Monaco style entertainment. 25 minutes of Olympic style gyrations, juggling, mayhem ...and not out of breath once. How does he do it? This is why I come to conventions, to see guys like this who have spent a year practicing one move that last about 5 seconds. I need to rehearse.

Tom Stone and Lecture. Another professional, but he did look foolish gathering up all of the "lost sponge balls" that overflowed the stage...making sure nobody in the front row coped one. Tom, let them go...or charge more, so that you can keep the illusion of multiple appearance. It looked really foolish, and broke down that 3rd wall, to see you come out from the wings, get down on your hands and knees search under skirts....
"The only reason for the Magic Wand is to hide a bad palm" OK, I never thought of it that way, but Yes you are right. Tom has taken ideas from all of the past masters and worked them into his own design. This works well for him, I should study him more.

...and an appearance Saturday night of Derek Lever! (Yours truly in a full Metal Jacket) God save the Queen!

A convention od Made Men! Thanks Boss, you provided a wonderful Birthday Bash to this subscriber/reader for the past thirty years. lets do it again someday, not next year, not in three years...but soon. God bless America.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 16th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Hey, Max. When Dr. Sawa, dressed in his cowboy get-up, stretched, cut, restored and made his rope do miracles, then ended by tossing the thing out into the audience, I nearly fainted. Perhaps you weren't as impressed.

Matt Field

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Matthew Field wrote:Hey, Max. When Dr. Sawa, dressed in his cowboy get-up, stretched, cut, restored and made his rope do miracles, then ended by tossing the thing out into the audience, I nearly fainted. Perhaps you weren't as impressed.

Matt Field

I nearly fainted when I heard the lyrics about weed and acid and wondering why no one had explained to him what that meant!

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » October 16th, 2012, 5:29 pm

MaxNY wrote:Tom Stone and Lecture. Another professional, but he did look foolish gathering up all of the "lost sponge balls" that overflowed the stage...making sure nobody in the front row coped one. Tom, let them go...or charge more, so that you can keep the illusion of multiple appearance. It looked really foolish, and broke down that 3rd wall, to see you come out from the wings, get down on your hands and knees search under skirts....

Both yes and no.
I agree to everything you say, but there were practical concerns. Seeing the crew throwing out my props in the audience on the screen backstage, and seeing no one stopping it was jarring. Replacing it would eat into a considerable part of my performance fee.
Worse, ordering replacements would take at least 10-14 days, and the next performance was only 6 days away.
None of the choices I was given was very attractive. Lose a little bit of dignity, or let this incident spill over onto the next show as well. Since this was on the other side of the world from my perspective, while the following gig was at home, I went for the loss of dignity option.

This will obviously never happen again, since I've learnt from it and have decided to never perform this piece at any magic convention again. I don't repeat mistakes, because I consider myself to be creative enough to constantly come up with new mistakes. :)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2012, 6:47 pm

I admire your honesty Mr Stone

West McDonough

Postby West McDonough » October 16th, 2012, 7:53 pm

MaxNY wrote:Pendragons. I love the costume of his wife! Another professional, you can tell by watching her, that she was comfortable on stage. Jon needs to hit a gym, after just one illusion he was huffing into Mr. Coachman. Enough about the bragging about scars, when did this become entertainment? Jon's stepdaughter is one beautiful girl, better suited for the Bryant Park Cat Walk, not the receiver of blades to the gut. It was really good to see Richard and Genii give Jon a second chance. this takes big balls, but Jon deserves it, and needs it. he also needs to work a few details out, like to remember to put the foot stocks in BEFORE the neck stocks, probably done in the past by some man in black, missing from this night's performance.

I appreciate the kind words for both me and my daughter, although the gorgeous girl who got the blade through the gut was Liberty LarsenJacosa did the levitation and the Red Riding Hood piece. But they're both stunners, in my opinion, so I agree with you whichever one you meant!

But I do feel the need to assure you that Jonathan is in top physical condition and, in fact, swims a 45-minute mile at least three times a week. Unfortunately, he will never again have perfect breath control, for the simple reason that the arrow accident left him with an only partially-functional diaphragm. The damage and the resultant adhesions are such that he will never again be able to take a full breath.

This is one of the reasons I joined the act in the first place; when I handle some of the intros and do the occasional bit, this gives him a moment to catch his breath. During illusions that require a lot of exertion we just have to keep the mic turned off -- unfortunately one of the technical glitches of this show was that they forgot to cut the mic during the suspension, and a little heaviness of breath apparently ended up sounding like actual distress. But rest assured that Jonathan is in great shape, and already works out obsessively enough, thank you -- if he spends more time in the gym, I'll never see him! :)

West McDonough

Postby West McDonough » October 16th, 2012, 8:05 pm

It was, of course, a suspension, not a levitation. I had an unfortunate brain-hiccup there.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 16th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Tom Stone wrote:This will obviously never happen again, since I've learnt from it and have decided to never perform this piece at any magic convention again.

That is indeed unfortunate. It's been a while since spongeballs were a highlight of a magic show for me, but I really enjoyed this sequence. They just kept coming and coming . . . .

Maybe your agreements with future magic convention organizers will protect your interests sufficiently that others will be privileged to see this act.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » October 17th, 2012, 1:11 am

@ Matt, I guess I was impressed...But I just sat back in my chair and said, "Oh well, there goes $20 in rope magnets."

At the Portugal FISM I stood in front of 1,200 of my peers and asked David Blaine why he chose the 7 second shot of him levitating with a full, under sneaker shot. "Haven't you broken all rules of televised magic that proceeded you?" I asked. He just smiled and said "I'm going to do what it takes to fool 6 million people."

Dr. Sawa threw a gimmicked rope into the audience and left 700 of us thinking "I hope he at least gave it to some kid!"

This brings me to a point about kids. There were only ? 5 or 6 kids there. At one point I pondered this situation to a friend, and they replied..."Cost too much." They were probably right. I think that in order to keep the art of magic alive, (including a magazine) you would probably hope to see about 40 kids there. By kids, I mean under 18. Maybe future organizers should think about a discounted ticket for teens, and families.

@West. Now I feel like a fool. I certainly didn't know JP had trouble breathing. My bad. I also flubbed reporting on the suspension illusion. I probably use the term "She takes a blade" too often.

@ Stone. This is your one piece that you will be known for...forever. You can't take it away from us now.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » October 17th, 2012, 3:25 am

Tom Stone wrote:This will obviously never happen again, since I've learnt from it and have decided to never perform this piece at any magic convention again. I don't repeat mistakes, because I consider myself to be creative enough to constantly come up with new mistakes. :)

Having seen your performance at the MacMillan convention last year in London, I wondered why you didn't stretch a net across the front of the stage. Something only 15-20 cm tall, that could be quickly stretched by a technician behind the curtains, if "Benson Burner" is presented as an encore (which I think is what you did as you had to change costume), or even stretched by the performer as a gag ("for your safety..."). A nylon/transparent net would be hardy visible to the audience.

All the best,
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 17th, 2012, 4:20 am

Max, you have been fooled. Dr. Sawa does not throw a gimmicked rope into the audience. It is a normal rope.

Robert Meisch

Postby Robert Meisch » October 17th, 2012, 10:04 am

Please Chief Genii, Tell all of us who couldn't attend that you recorded the whole event and will shortly be selling an edited DVD collection so we can live the event through it...

Please...

-Robert

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » October 17th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Tom
Dignity! I'm on my hands and knees behind the curtain grabbing little red balls like a snowball fight in a bad horror movie. The least you can do is humiliate yourself whenever magic needs a sacrifice to the Old Ones.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 17th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Robert Meisch wrote:Please Chief Genii, Tell all of us who couldn't attend that you recorded the whole event and will shortly be selling an edited DVD collection so we can live the event through it...

Please...

-Robert

He's already answered that question:

Richard Kaufman wrote:The videos were made purely for our archival purposes and will not be released.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » October 17th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Jonathan Pendragon wrote:Tom
Dignity! I'm on my hands and knees behind the curtain grabbing little red balls like a snowball fight in a bad horror movie. The least you can do is humiliate yourself whenever magic needs a sacrifice to the Old Ones.

Haha! Dignity is a commodity that may be lost or gained in a lot of ways. I'm sure you agree that losing it like this was pretty comfortable compared with other occasions. :)
Regarding bad horror movies: Have you seen the norwegian "Dead Snow"?
MaxNY wrote:@ Stone. This is your one piece that you will be known for...forever. You can't take it away from us now.

Max, this piece was designed for my own use in the context of my own performances here in Sweden. I used it to close my shows, and left everything on the floor until the audience had cleared the room.
There were no demand at magic conventions to see it during the decade I used it to close my own shows. The demand arose first after I published it. Eventually I caved in and said yes to the requests, despite that it then would be performed in a context for which it wasn't designed.
-It isn't designed for airtravel and I have to pay $200 extra for overweight each time I bring it when flying.
-It isn't designed for airports' luggage handling, so something always breaks, and I always have to spend an hour repairing it.
I only do 1-2 conventions a year, so it also seems redundant to rebuild everything or invest in special solutions just for those few occasions.

All in all, it seems like a lot less expense, less work and less hassle to just go back to the initial situation. To only perform it in the context for which it was designed: At my own performances here in Sweden.

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » October 17th, 2012, 6:06 pm

Tom
Nazi-Zombies, what's not to like?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 17th, 2012, 6:54 pm

I loved Dead Snow, but Iron Sky was a real disappointment--now there's a Nazi movie that definitely needed some zombies.

And, Dustin is correct, no videos of the Genii Bash will be released.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 17th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:
And, Dustin is correct, no videos of the Genii Bash will be released.

I'm happy for you to release the video of Kent Gunn and me jello wrestling. But I want a cut of the cash.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 17th, 2012, 7:20 pm

I'm very disappointed that I was not asked to referee that match.

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » October 18th, 2012, 4:09 am

The video of me and Bob Farmer mud wrestling with the female sumo wrestler should remain for your eyes only, Richard.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 18th, 2012, 7:43 am

That was no Sumo wrestler, that was my wife.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 18th, 2012, 7:45 am

Message from Luddite Land: how does one watch the interviews that Matt Field did?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 18th, 2012, 8:24 am

Matt's videos, "Face to Face with Genii," will appear one per month in Genii during the next year and a half.

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » October 18th, 2012, 10:15 am

Doing the "Face to Face with Genii" interviews was a real treat. I got to sit down for brief chats with some of the great magicians of our day, many of them old friends. Everyone was in a great state of mind because the tone of the Genii Bash was that of joyous celebration. I hope some of you get to view and enjoy these.

And thanks to the Head Genii for allowing me to do this project, and to Chris Stinett and Alex Farmer for their expertise and devotion in making the videos.

Matt Field

Tomo MAEDA

Postby Tomo MAEDA » October 27th, 2012, 3:42 pm

MaxNY wrote:Tomo Maeda was mystifying with a lighter side. Performs a traditional piece, makes a ring disappear...and he exclaims that "A good Japanese story always ends with a tear" He was so forthcoming to all convention goers, a wonderful man.

I am delighted to receive your thoughtful words ! Thank you so much.

I am hoping my life ends with tear,like my trick... :grin:

I had really good time at the Genii Bash with wonderful people including you.

with many thanks,

Tomo MAEDA

Postby Tomo MAEDA » November 4th, 2012, 12:16 pm

NCMarsh wrote:Personal highlights:
-Tomo Maedo's restored balloon

Thank you so much !! The Genii Bash was a one of the best convention for me.I was very happy with you. Wonderful audience, performers, compliments and compliments...

Return to “Buzz”