We're Back From the Genii Bash!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Re: We're Back From the Genii Bash!

Postby MaxNY » October 9th, 2012, 7:33 pm

I will have a nice long write-up, but I'm still recovering!

This was one of the top three conventions for me, and I have been going to about a convention a year since 1976.

The talent speaks for itself. This was a convention of "Made Magic Men." The Magic Mafia, Godfather's....Brother's.....many hiding in plain clothes, some in flashy suits.

Steve Klein (and crew) did one hell of a job!!! He succeeded in the impossible task of keeping the focus on entertainment, and education. He has raised the bar to a level professionalism not found at typical conventions.

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't even cracked open my swag yet...and only spent 10 minutes in the Dealer's room. I attended almost every scheduled minute.

Uri Geller was my highlight. The 2 hours of his History, his life, and his theories on Fame, you couldn't put a price-tag on. The 20 minutes I spent with him at the Food Court.... to talk with him, grill him...and to challenge him, were inspirational. He seemed so at ease with any question, and didn't squirm from any topic.

25 years from now, people may ask me, if I was at the 75th Birthday Bash. Yes I was.... Wow, what a cool club to be in, and there were only 800 of us!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 9th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Max, I'm very pleased you were able to make it. In your gift bag you will find a big button that says, "I Was There!"

And I was amazed that Tony and Rose drove all the way from Ohio just a few weeks after Tony had a heart attack! Thankfully we didn't need the defibrillator and he sold lots of wallets and made some beautiful one-of-a-kind pieces for our giveaway.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » October 9th, 2012, 9:30 pm

This magnificent event made me feel so young: like a stammering, simpering 14-year-old (minus the horniness). Hanging around Bob White helped put a little hair on my sagging chest.

It was a privilege to be another face in the crowd; the atmosphere was non-stop, positive excitement - the mother of all love-ins.

It was truly a privilege to be in the presence of dedicated artists. Thank you, Richard. Stunningly flawless . . .

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » October 9th, 2012, 10:02 pm

There's just way too much to cover and provide all the incredible accolades everyone (especially Richard) deserves. Plus I just got home today (a day late) courtesy of multiple airplane mechanical problems and a weather delay leaving Orlando that finally afforded me the chance to experience the unbelievable luxury that is the Airport Ramada Inn in Newark, New Jersey - a pleasure I had heretofore stoically been denying myself all these years.

As such let me focus briefly on just one of the many headliners for now: Uri Geller. Frankly, I didn't know what to expect and I was worried that there might be an ego of indeterminable (but likely large) size involved.

I could not have been more happy to have been so wrong.

What I got was heart-felt, motivational, inspirational and at times almost spiritual. The life lessons imparted were worth their weight in gold. But the real pleasure came after Uri's presentation. When he met with the people, it wasn't merely just a quick book signing and a photo. Uri actually spent significant TIME with each person in line, genuinely talking to them and hearing their thoughts, concerns, dreams, etc. and offering his ideas based on his experiences. In my case, Uri's counsel hit me right between the eyes and allowed me to deal with a difficult situation that was going on at my day job. Uri even stayed an entire extra day and night just so he could meet with as many people who wanted to speak with him. He was not scheduled for a show or another lecture - he stayed because he wanted to.

I'm too tired to write much more at this point, but I absolutely have to write this: Uri Geller truly is mensch among mensches.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » October 9th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Yes, Uri was fantastic. Richard may yet receive a huge bill for missing silverware. When one had few minutes with Uri, he gave his total attention and made you feel that he was seriously interested in everything that you had to say. He is a master communicator, and his talk was a brilliant surprise. I was also thrilled that Rob Zabreky was present. Now, hundreds of people, who do not live on the West Coast, know about him and his marvelous stage persona. I hope that this leads to many more convention appearances for him.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 10th, 2012, 4:04 am

Bill -- crack open the swag bag. There's a 142 page download book -- the link will expire soon!!

Matt Field

RobertAllen

Postby RobertAllen » October 10th, 2012, 2:50 pm

"Just one, with a gift bag that could never be duplicated and a line-up of performers that could never be duplicated."

I wasn't there, but I say to this "Yes yes yes!" Single events of the success this sounds like it was define for me the meaning of the word "magic".

Congrats to all who went!

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » October 10th, 2012, 7:17 pm

-----Seems like not too long ago the Chief Genii posted a query, wondering what people thought of a 75th birthday celebration. My guess is he was already leaning towards doing it but our enthusiasm helped confirm what he already wisely knew. We knew it was a grand idea and most of us knew we wanted to be there.

-----(If someone would find that original thread, it would be interesting to revisit it. Thanks.)

-----Everyone here has covered a lot of the moments that made the Genii 75th Birthday Bash a huge success, so thanks for immortalizing it bit by bit through the written word. And the following are just a few thoughts on this remarkable event.

-----The gift bag was enough to keep one awake for days. I was giddy opening the panels, looking in the cleverly assimilated compartments, trying to figure out where to start, what I liked, what was challenging. Richard's attention to detail in his descriptions of the items was impressive. But wait, there was a convention ahead. Wait again, it was a birthday bash.

-----Me, I averaged about 3-1/2 to 4 hours sleep each night,scrambling to get to Ian Kendalls Basic Training class before the final 8 am bell. I had read his columns, and in them his humour shone through, but seeing him in person, he glowed. With clear, concise instruction peppered with witty asides, Ian set the tone for the fun of the rest of the days and evenings.

-----As an aside, during the first session a few people walked in late and they were announced by the opening and closing of the door in the back of the room. Ian said, OK, the next time that happens, no matter what Im doing, just burst into huge applause. There was a false start at one point, but then the moment arrived. The door opened, we heard it, Ian spread his arms like a peacock in applause cue, we all clapped, cheered and turned around to see who had opened the door.

-----It was Richard.

-----He was just checking on things and said, I never would have imagined that this many people would get up early for an 8 am lecture! But the two hundred or so of us wanted to learn some magic, and Ian delivered.

-----Mark Mason set up a fine dealers room which had space to move and mingle. (And there were donuts and coffee in the morning.) It was always lively and the hours seemed just about perfect so we could browse and buy and still be able to see all of the events.

-----Yes, I concur that no matter what prior opinions you had about Uri Geller (I learned its pronounced OR-Ree, not YOUR-Ree), he gave a remarkable talk about finding a way through adversity. I also had a moment (actually, two moments, more on that in a bit) with Mr. Geller who was down to earth and seemed genuinely interested in me. And on one day he spent some five hours - non-stop - talking to people, giving autographs and photo ops according to Tomo Maeda. Amazing.

-----Speaking of Tomo, it was a thrill to see him. I met him about twelve years ago when I lived in Japan and he was so kind and gracious then. It was fantastic to find a renewed friendship with him. We talked at length about his show and lecture and, as always with my Japanese friends, I felt warmly welcomed by his friends, including the lovely Yumi and Tenka Yuki. Tomo Maeda, to me, is one of the coolest guys on the planet. He is smart, gentle in his demeanor but strong in his opinions and he has a slyly disarming sense of humor. Check out Tomo via the Genii archives.

-----Chad Long? Bam! (He filled in for Michael Weber.) Chad Long?!? Never knew anything about him. Kapow! He runs around the stage, doing silly magic and great magic, constantly talking a narrative that hints he had escaped from an asylum. Funny and smart. (Have you ever pulled a playing card out of a wall? Mr. Long made it look like a CGI effect. Then he showed us that we could do it, too.)

-----We all became mere mortals, lower than Muggles, when Juan Tamariz took to the stage. Ha, ha, you missed it if you werent there. Thats OK, hes going to outlive us all, so youll get your chance someday to see the Maestro. Many of us have seen him before, but he soars higher every time.

-----Magic, magic, magic. Great shows. Great hotel. Great people.

-----Closing night show. It ends witha juggler. Huh? Really? The worlds greatest convention ends with a juggler? Yeah, and two standing ovations, so shut up. Charlie Frye and Company killed. There are standing ovations that evolve gradually. But these were the ones where its one crowd leaping to their feet as one. Shazam!

-----Sunday I went with friends to Universal Studios and stayed for the Halloween Horror Nights. My friends had expressed interest in going to Cape Canaveral for the rocket launch it was heading to the Space Station. But we opted for a different crowd. While waiting in line for an hour to visit Penn & Tellers Newked Las Vegas we saw through the clouds and darkness a bright glow in the sky. It was just for a few seconds, but we realized it was the glow from the rocketship. It was like being a kid. Magic.

-----And I have to share this story. On the final night, Saturday, the hotel key cards werent always working to access the elevators from the lobby level. My friend Tenka and I were walking to the elevator, and there was Uri Geller.....

........His hotel key could not open the elevator doors

-----Of course, we helped him, and as the elevator doors closed, he said to us, I want to say again, it was your love that made this so special for me! You all have so much love inside. Does that sound sappy? Not to me. It was touching and real. We all love magic, its why we were there. Its the other love that I needed to be reminded of. Thank you, Uri Geller, and everyone.

-----I have two questions. Why were we asked to give our birthdate when we registered and why was there a hole in our name tag that lined up with another hole in our name tag holder? (Wait, maybe I am saying too muchCould be a Real Secrets setup)

-----Thank you Richard and EVERYONE who worked seamlessly and seemingly effortlessly to put together this fantastic event.

-----Go to the list of performers and schedule on the site. I challenge you to review it and your experience and come up with a handful thats five fingers worth - of complaints. A few technical glitches? A few events running overtime, dislodging the schedule? A trick or two stumbling? Bah! Go to another convention and regret that theres a slim chance there will ever be one as cool as the Genii Birthday Bash.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 10th, 2012, 7:34 pm

As to why we were asking for your birthday when you registered: Dustin Stinett had this great idea to put in the gift bag. It would have been a sheet with the cover of Genii the month and year you were born, along with a synopsis of what was in it. The problem was that he was dealing with low-res cover images and we didn't have time to scan all of them for him. So it didn't happen.

And thanks for the kind words, Doug. I'm glad you had a memorable time. Me, too!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 10th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Doug Thornton wrote:-----I have two questions. Why were we asked to give our birthdate when we registered and why was there a hole in our name tag that lined up with another hole in our name tag holder? (Wait, maybe I am saying too muchCould be a Real Secrets setup)

The hole was put there to show that you already received the Gift Folio.

The birthday [sigh]. This was a highly ambitious idea that I had--I will not go into detail--for a special gift for each person. At first it was accepted, hence the birthdate being part of the registration form, but it was later determined to be too costly and time consuming to do.

I still think it was a good idea...

Dustin
(Sertified Jenius)

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » October 10th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Doug Thornton wrote: -----Seems like not too long ago the Chief Genii posted a query, wondering what people thought of a 75th birthday celebration. My guess is he was already leaning towards doing it but our enthusiasm helped confirm what he already wisely knew. We knew it was a grand idea and most of us knew we wanted to be there.

-----(If someone would find that original thread, it would be interesting to revisit it. Thanks.)

This one?:
http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... ber=254990
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 10th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Speaking of gifts: Don't forget that the free gift from Ben Harris is good for a limited time only! Check your goody bag for details (and no posting info here)! (Hint: It's in the zippered compartment--hurry!)

Thanks for the cool gift Ben!!!

Dustin

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » October 11th, 2012, 12:47 am

I have another moment now that the memory is kicking back in..
Jonathan Pendragon being back on top of his game. And beaming with his new bride.
How RK ever pulled off getting Uri Geller, I don't know, but very glad he did.

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » October 11th, 2012, 1:59 am

-----Yes, Joe Pecore, that's the thread! How the heck did you find it? I searched "convention" and only got as far back as August 15, 2012. Thank you, it was interesting, very interesting to read it again.
-----Dustin, no need to sigh. It was a great idea and it was clearly the logistics that denied it happening. :)
Besides, you are going to wow us with your write-up!
Smiles all around

Doug Thornton

Postby Doug Thornton » October 11th, 2012, 4:45 am

Hi Corbett, here's a clip from
Youtube of a performance of Scott Land presenting Carl Ballantine. Scott's unparalleled magic was just one more fun moment at the Bash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPwzp7OU ... ata_player
Smiles all around

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 11th, 2012, 1:49 pm

I bought a book from Harris several months ago. Have followed up and be does not respond. Anyone else have similar experiences

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 11th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Well, the Backstory project seems to have stalled for a few months now...

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 11th, 2012, 2:29 pm

I'm really anxious I missed one of the bits of swag! I keep relooking to check. So much to go through!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 11th, 2012, 3:00 pm

Damian, contact me privately about your missing bits. :)

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » October 11th, 2012, 3:52 pm

It is only fair that there should be an 80th anniversary bash (or sooner!) and that it be conducted on the west coast. I will be the first to register.

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » October 11th, 2012, 4:10 pm

I'll be second to sign up.
Joe

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 11th, 2012, 4:41 pm

Sorry, but that was it. The one and only.

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » October 11th, 2012, 4:45 pm

I will take that as a maybe.

Never say never. :)

West McDonough

Postby West McDonough » October 11th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Awww, surely you'll be ready again by the 100th anniversary! :)

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 11th, 2012, 4:58 pm

I quite like the idea of just having one. Sequels are never quite as good as the originals (Woodstock II anyone?), and it will be nice to be able to look back and think 'I was part of that'.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 11th, 2012, 5:23 pm

That's why the large buttons in your gift bag read, "I Was There!"
There can never be another one.

And I'll be dead by the 100th anniversary so it'll be someone else's decision, but I'll never do another convention.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 11th, 2012, 6:59 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:]...
There can never be another one.

Yep. (or is that, "There can only be one"?)

[img:center]http://blog.newsarama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/HighlanderLambert.jpg[/img]

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 11th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Don't mess with Juan Snchez Villa-Lobos Ramrez!

AJM

Postby AJM » October 11th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Chief Metalurgisht to King Charlesh the Firsht of Shpain....

PerStr

Postby PerStr » October 11th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Thanks Richard!
Now that my behind has recovered from eight hours a day on those chairs, I just want to thank you for the best convention ever.
It sure made an impression that lasts.
Next year, when I have had time to go through all the stuff in the portfolio, I may have to thank you again.

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » October 11th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Steven Kline wrote:Just a quick note to thank Richard, Liz and the entire convention staff for all their hard work both in Orlando and WAY before the convention began. Most do not realize the work that goes into these types of events. From a production point of view, people enjoy the result of what we do, they wouldn't want to do what we do. Each and every act I worked with this past weekend was beyond professional and a real treat to deal with. It was an honor to be behind the scenes controlling the shows and pulling off one of the BEST magic conventions I have been involved with in years ! There were many challenges and a few VERY stressful moments but in the end, it was a GREAT event and experience. I hope all of you feel the same.
Time for a little R & R here in Orlando with my family then back out on the road until April - Hope to see you along the way
All the best,
Steven Kline

Kline.. I heard many good things about the people behind the curtains. I wish I could have been there to see it all.
David Mitchell

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » October 11th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Let's see:

I get Genii every month and read it cover to cover.

In every Genii Jon Racherbaumer recommends books, which I buy and read cover to cover.

While not in every issue there are always tricks which I learn well enough to perform.

At the Bash I bought a pile of books which I will read cover to cover.

The portfolio handout contained about 1200 tricks, including a 143 page ebook. Which I will read cover to cover.

I look at the forums everyday and read the Erdnase thread religiously.

Richard, If you never have another convention I will just about have time to cover the material I am already committed to.

Thanks.......I think

Ian Crawford
Favorite Magician: Robert Houdin

Postby Ian Crawford » October 12th, 2012, 6:57 pm

I am still recovering from lack of sleep. Richard, you carried off a monumental task with bravado. You and all of your organizers and helpers should take a deep bow and rest knowing you created a miracle. Rob Zubrecki, David Ben, Juan, and Roberto stick out in my mind. The final stage show was fantastic. But so were all the others. I was inspired and magically re-energized. An unbelievable gift bag including a never-seen-before Vernon lecture.
Thanks for giving up what I am sure were many sleepless nights so we could all bask in the glow of the happiest of birthdays. Happy Birthday Genii
Ian Crawford
still wondering what I'll do when I grow up

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » October 13th, 2012, 7:00 am

Nobody ever folded the metal 200 times to make a Japanese sword (16 times was about tops) and Masamuni lived in the 13 century AD!

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » October 13th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Okay I finally dug myself out of the hole I was buried in. Note to self next time I take six days off to attend a conference of this magnitude, on the other side of the country, I need to allow a day for recuperation. Of course, that really doesnt matter now, as I cant imagine that there will ever be an opportunity to attend anything of this magnitude again (at least, not in my lifetime).

Choosing highlights, or best moments, is difficult. Of a particular note, there were no low points; every performer/lecturer was high caliber, and each delivered on the expected promise of their reputation. If that was not enough, the attendee list of non-performers read like a whos who of magic.

I bumped into Josh Jay and Andi Gladwin, Michael Ammar, Matt Field, Bob Farmer (a personal favorite of mine), Geoff Williams (another personal favorite), Daryl, and so many others that served to complete the overall experience for me.

Some personal highlights:
Meeting Bob Farmer, who then proceeded to demo (fluster me with) a handful of tricks.
The Chad Long lecture
Finally seeing Peter Samelson, live.
Rob Zabrecky (what a find!!)
David Ben (show and lecture)
Eric Mead (the juggler, no less!)
Woody Aragon & Christian Engblom
Bob Whites Egg Bag routine (astounding!)
The Uri Gellar lecture (AMAZING!)
Speaking with, and then sitting next to Jonathan Pendragon during the first stage show (as he heckled Jonathan Levit)
Meeting and speaking with Tom Stone and Tomo Maeda, two of my modern magic heroes (both of whose lectures were positively stellar).
Yumi, whose talent surpasses her beauty (which is no small trick)
Charlie Frye and Company (funny, funny, funny!)
The Real Secrets party on Saturday evening.
The Roberto Giobbi workshop on Vernon
Six incredible hours, truly well spent with Juan Tamariz

Richard,
You and your entire family (including Elizabeth, Emma, the Solomons and Margret) throw one heck of a party. I cant thank you enough for providing me with one of the most exceptional experiences of my life. I feel certain that I will hit submit on this post and then regret not having remembered some other highlights from the Bash. Regardless, I am so grateful that the stars aligned for me, enabling me to attend the greatest convention of my lifetime.

Many, many thanks!
Evan

Kelly Rusk

Postby Kelly Rusk » October 14th, 2012, 1:43 am

Personally, I enjoyed the entire Bash. Two highlights for me were talking with Ian Kendall (love the way you think through every detail) and seeing Jonathan Pendragon's stage show. You're one of my heroes and inspirations.

I had a headache from laughing throughout Chad Long's lecture and David Ben blew me away (and most of the room) with his incredible skill.

I think everyone else here has listed the entire Bash as a highlight and I heartily agree.

Mr. Kaufman Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for an amazing convention!!!

Asser Andersen

Postby Asser Andersen » October 14th, 2012, 5:03 pm

This was my first magic convention in more than 30 years and I enjoyed every second of it! My head is still spinning from all the fantastic magic I experienced during three busy days. I concur with everything that has been said in this thread and thank Richard Kaufman for giving me the opportunity to feel like a child again...(we met very briefly and I hope I managed to convey to you what a fantastic time I had).

Just one snap-shot: I was fascinated by the thorough analysis of misdirection by Tom Stone, and later found myself staring from eye to eye in the mirror in my hotel room thinking about the implications of temporary blindness...

My only worry is: what now?? I understand from more experienced convention-goers that the Genii Bash really was something special, so I guess it will be difficult to find a future convention to top this ? :) ?

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » October 15th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Highlights
Tom Stone doing "Hugs and Kills" with Rob Zabrecky!

Tom Stone doing the "Double Sucker Egg Trick From Hell" with Michael Ammar

Comparing scars with Ian Kendall, "That was from a base jump gone wrong - big deal this is from messing with sharks - Rock climbing, nearly died - Oh yeah, well check this out, Bengal Tiger!"

The Asian new breed (Yumi, Tomo Maedo, Lukas).

A lecture schedule of the most seriously bright minds in magic.

Tamariz!!!!

Getting to perform with 3 amazing women: my wife, stepdaughter and liberty.

Lowlights
Getting thrown-up on the Harry Potter ride and only getting a lousy t-shirt.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 15th, 2012, 6:19 pm

Jonathan, did West throw up on you? Yuck! Good thing you're still newlyweds. :)

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » October 15th, 2012, 8:14 pm

It was an unknown woman in the next seat who got sick.

Return to “Buzz”