FISM 2012 - Day Three

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Rolf Reiner

Re: FISM 2012 - Day Three

Postby Rolf Reiner » July 13th, 2012, 9:59 am

Comedy is difficult with mixed nationalities. Here the opinion of a Spanish blogger, mago Borini:

Bueno ahora est John archer
Un acto con un monlogo bastante largo y luego ha sacado un espectador le ha dado un cofre y un candado con unas llaves. Como no me he enterado bien solo se que ha adivinado la nica llave que abra, sin mirar.

In essence, he could not follow the acts premise.

And if Craig has an axe, Wittus Witt has a chainsaw:

Aber schon bei John Archer hrte es fr meine Begriffe auf, lustig zu sein, oder ich verstehe den englischen Humor nicht mehr. Sich auf Kosten eines offensichtlich leicht krperlich behinderten Mitspielers lustig zu machen, empfinde ich als Unverschmtheit.

(use a translator, at your own risk)

I am sure Johns material kills in his normal working environment, and the case in point might be simply an incorrect choice of event for that style of show. My own performance conditions consist of multi-culti multi-ethnic multi-laguage audiences, and I know from experience the difficulties of findin humor that has international appeal.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 13th, 2012, 12:29 pm

It should actually be pretty easy to count attendance tonight at the Gala.

I heard that the two balconies were closed during the stage competition, so not everyone who has a ticket to the convention can even see get into the theater to see the stage competition!

Also, this is the first FISM within anyone's memory where the competitions were not broadcast on monitors outside the theater so you could watch without actually sitting in the hot theater. Another el cheapo move.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 13th, 2012, 7:18 pm

The Winter Gardens appeared pretty full for the gala tonight. Both the ground floor and first balcony, where I was seated, were full. I did not walk the steps to the upper balcony to see how many people where there.

There's just no way there are only 1200 people here because that amount wouldn't even fill the orchestra (ground) level of the theater.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » July 14th, 2012, 2:30 am

Opera House Capacity..

Orchestra (stalls) 1500
Mezz (circle) - 700
Balcony (Gallery) - 750

Comfortable Seats - 6
Air conditioning unit - 0
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » July 14th, 2012, 3:25 am

Thank you, Tom, for the laugh. Your assessment is a gem. :)
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 14th, 2012, 5:13 am

So, there are at least 2200 people here according to the numbers Tom Moore provided (what they call "The Circle" is the lower balcony.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » July 14th, 2012, 5:29 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Yes, Tom, the name of the DVD in question is "F*ck Coin Magic," and has a picture of a woman's breasts on the cover with a coin stuck between them (nipples not visible). The photo was not the issue, just the F word in the title.

As the producer of an upcoming convention, my dealers are contractually not allowed to have anything with that type of language on the dealer table, so that is known to them in advance.

However, I wouldn't deal with it the way they did in Blackpool by kicking the kid out. I would have simply asked him to either remove the product from his table or go to the stationary story a block away, buy some stickers, and put them over the offending word.

Simple solution to a small problem.

I've heard from a reliable source that the reason the Belgian magician was ejected is because he was fly-pitching. He had paid to be a registrant not a dealer. And was leaving stickers/promo material for his DVD on other dealers stands when they were away or not looking.

Brendan
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 14th, 2012, 11:31 am

Yes, I heard that this morning but have not had access to my laptop to correct. The kid had not paid for a dealer table, and was leaving his flyers on the tables of OTHER dealers when they weren't looking. That's why he was ejected.

Return to “Buzz”