Wanda Sykes

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
George Olson

Wanda Sykes

Postby George Olson » June 7th, 2012, 4:58 pm

I believe it was last week when someone posted a clip of Wanda Sykes discussing Magicians of the Leno Show. Not very complimentary. I can't seem to locate it because I wanted to call your attention to a discussion by Eric Mead in the Tangled Web that begins on page 33 about a guy that said: "There comes a time when you must put childish things away."

I suggest you beg or borrow a copy of this lecture/comment! We've all had it happen; once I had the owner of a Collection Agency express a similar opinion one night. I did a bad thing I asked what she did for a living, she replied I'm a bill collector; my reply was "Isn't that kind of at the bottom of the busines food chain!" Her companion cracked up and said he got you. She continued to come into the place and stopped being rude.

Boy did that feel good.

GO

Brian Morton

Re: Wanda Sykes

Postby Brian Morton » June 7th, 2012, 11:49 pm

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » June 8th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Just watched the clip of Wanda that Brian Morton posted.

What I got from it was that while she personally may not be fond of magic (although I think that lack of fondness was also stretched a bit for comedic purposes during her appearance with Jay), she was not truly hating on magicians or the Magic Castle.

Wanda's character/persona is always going to have that "uppity edge" to it whenever she appears in public as that's her thing. But I actually thought I detected a lot of real respect for magicians and the Magic Castle hiding not too deeply behind her act in that clip.

Then again, that's just my take.

Roy McIlwee
Favorite Magician: Steve Dusheck

Postby Roy McIlwee » June 8th, 2012, 9:03 pm

I detected NO respect for magic or magicians in her clip. To me she has always been a very repulsive comedian relying on mostly crotch humor to get her laughs. That clip annoyed me. Then again, that's just my take. Roy McIlwee, Scarnton, Penna.

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » June 9th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Sounds like Wanda annoyed you long before you saw that clip, Roy. Almost mad enough to misspell where you live. And that's clearly more than just my take.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » June 9th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Roy sounds on target. She's pretty repulsive.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » June 9th, 2012, 11:30 pm

She said good things about the magician she knew, very good things. It was comedy. Most folks put clowns and magicians in the same box. Clowns have a long storied history. They have their own college . . . all we have is five books that make a college.

If you can't laugh at yourself or your hobby . . .

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » June 10th, 2012, 1:11 am

Bill Maher is repulsive.
Bill O'Reilly is repulsive.
But every once in a while both of them will say something I agree with.
So much better off we'd all be if we actually listened to what was being said and why it was being said rather than simply basing our opinion on what we generally thought of who was saying it.

Roy McIlwee
Favorite Magician: Steve Dusheck

Postby Roy McIlwee » June 10th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Brian, Yes she annnoyed me long before that clip. I simply dislike people who put down magicians. Roy McIlwee, Scranton, Pa.

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » June 11th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Roy,

I dislike people who put down magicians too. But again I don't think she was putting down magicians. I watched the clip a few more times and like Kent said, she actually said very GOOD things about the magician she knew. The more I watched the more convinced I became that if anything she was poking more fun at herself than she was at magicians, and I do mean "poking fun" as opposed to "putting down." If I thought she was really putting magicians down, I'd certainly say so. But I just don't see it after watching the clip multiple times.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 11th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Roy McIlwee wrote:I simply dislike people who put down magicians.

You are aware there are a shed load of REALLY bad magicians that deserve being put down, right?

As an aside, do you have a playing card tie?

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » June 11th, 2012, 5:36 pm

D.

When you write, "put down", did you mean like this?

Scruffy, our cat had lymphoma, so we put him down. If so, then I'm on you're side.

I, by the way, still have a playing card tie. My daughter gave it to me when she was twelve or so. I don't wear it much.

Kent

PS, nice use of the word uppity earlier in the thread.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » June 11th, 2012, 5:39 pm

To me, it was two stand-up comedy veterans riffing on a truism: stand-up comics hate magicians. They weren't playing "haters"; it's the Tonight Show, for cryin' out loud. Context, y'all, context . . .

Steve Cobb

Postby Steve Cobb » June 11th, 2012, 7:34 pm

I agree with all your comments almost 100% But, why is this? I've heard most of the answers... You have to admit that Letterman has given Magicians a break...Its been a long time since he had on Kaymar or whatever his name is "The Discount Magician" As you know he has had a couple of "Magic Weeks" the past few years and he still doesn't make it easy on them.
I believe I always knew Leno doesn't like us. Again, Is it almost impossible to be a true mainstream "Comedy Magician"

rkosby

Postby rkosby » June 12th, 2012, 1:05 am

I liked the interview. She said loud and clear she liked one magician. That's enough for me to believe she doesn't hate magicians or magic. I interpreted the rest of what she said as half serious and half humor.

This was also the first time I heard Jay Leno say he likes magicians. Overall I found the interview encouraging.

Return to “Buzz”