Fire breathing?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
mrgoat

Fire breathing?

Postby mrgoat » April 11th, 2012, 5:11 am

I'm doing a small theatrical event for St George's day and they asked if I can breathe fire. Now, I never have, but as I understand it, the actual breathing of fire is little more than blowing petrol/lighterfluid or some such over a flame.

Clearly there are hazards involved.

Can anyone post any advice or point me to a book?

Thanks

Damian

Tom Pilling

Re: Fire breathing?

Postby Tom Pilling » April 11th, 2012, 5:24 am

Hi Damian,

I seriously recommend learning this one-to-one from an experienced fire worker. It's not difficult, but there are a couple of things you MUST remember, or it'll be a trip to A&E with the sirens on.

Practice getting a good stream going using water, before moving to parrafin. Never, ever stop spitting until the lighter/torch has been removed from the stream. And always spit, never swallow...

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 11th, 2012, 6:07 am

Tom Pilling wrote:And always spit, never swallow...

MUST REFRAIN MUST REFRAIN

OK, thanks for the advice Mr Pilling.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 11th, 2012, 6:12 am

As your spiritual adviser, I would say DON'T DO IT.

Seriously.

I've got a book - I'll bung it in the package with the other one - but you NEED to get one on one instruction.

From speaking with friends who do this - custard powder is slightly better than paraffin, mainly because you are not breathing in paraffin fumes all the time (notwithstanding what you usually drink).

Be aware of the wind - never has the phrase 'never spit into the wind' been more apt. Get scads and scads of public liability insurance.

But, and I'll say this again, DON'T DO IT!

Talk soon :)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 11th, 2012, 6:44 am

Ian Kendall wrote:As your spiritual adviser, I would say DON'T DO IT.

Seriously.

I've got a book - I'll bung it in the package with the other one - but you NEED to get one on one instruction.

From speaking with friends who do this - custard powder is slightly better than paraffin, mainly because you are not breathing in paraffin fumes all the time (notwithstanding what you usually drink).

Be aware of the wind - never has the phrase 'never spit into the wind' been more apt. Get scads and scads of public liability insurance.

But, and I'll say this again, DON'T DO IT!

Talk soon :)

OK, point taken. I won't do it. Thank you for the advice.

/thread

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 11th, 2012, 10:05 am

Good advice: don't do it. Accidents happen even to experts.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 11th, 2012, 1:03 pm

DO IT! DO IT!

Just kidding. I've known a couple fire breathers. You are best not getting into it at all. There can be some long term issues; the cumulative effects of inevitable mishaps. That said, if you do decide otherwise, start with the much simpler fire eating. Even I have done that many moons ago. It's fun, a lot less dangerous, and impresses people.

Dustin

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » April 13th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Ben Garth and I wrote a book on fire eating during my final year of law school. As I recall, it contains a chapter on fire breathing (that part would have been Ben's work; I've never done "the blast") -- which is MUCH more dangerous and problematic for multiple reasons than "regular" fire eating. And "regular"/simple fire eating still requires considerable practice and understanding of the consequences of doing it in different environments.

With all of that said, the current edition of the book can be fond here: http://www.dube.com/book/FireEatingBook.php

Let me hasten to add that you should only try this knowing that you risk being burned or otherwise harmed every time you do it, and that you should assume you are bearing that risk every time you try to perform or practice fire eating. Language to that effect was printed on the bottom of every page of the original edition, and it was omitted from the book only after I relinquished involvement in the publication many years ago (and without my lawyerly consent). You also should read some comments that readers posted about an earlier version of the book on Amazon to better appreciate the risks involved: http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Eating-A-Man ... 0917643097

Hope this is helpful.

- Jeffrey
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » April 13th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Jeffrey,

My buddy, Rick Maue, has your book on display in his living room. He took a lighter to it and burnt a big chunk of the cover and pages away. It may not read this way, but it's very funny.

DD

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » April 14th, 2012, 1:14 am

Doc Dixon wrote:Jeffrey,

My buddy, Rick Maue, has your book on display in his living room. He took a lighter to it and burnt a big chunk of the cover and pages away. It may not read this way, but it's very funny.

DD

Nope, it does read that way, Doc. Really funny -- but it would be funnier if there wwere a monkey perched on it.
-- Jeffrey Cowan

www.cowan-law.com

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » April 14th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Jeffrey Cowan wrote:Nope, it does read that way, Doc. Really funny -- but it would be funnier if there wwere a monkey perched on it.

Oh, I am SO taking a lighter to the cover of my copy now. ;)

brian :cool:

Return to “Buzz”