Hank Lee

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
David Scollnik

Re: Hank Lee

Postby David Scollnik » April 23rd, 2012, 9:14 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:His family can be running the business and sending out the emails. You assume Hank is doing it, but you don't know that. The family is probably using a pre-existing e-form of some sort which is why it may appear as if Hank is still doing it. I don't know, because I'm not on the mailing list and haven't seen them.

FWIW, Joe Strauch posted the latest email up above on April 21, and it looks a lot (word for word in many places) like what you received from HL yourself.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 23rd, 2012, 9:31 pm

Yes, part of it was cut and pasted. I imagine when you're sending out a hundred emails it's easier to customize only parts of it.

However, since Hank said I could post it here, he knew that the duplicated portions would be noticed.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

NYCJoePItt

Postby NYCJoePItt » April 23rd, 2012, 10:31 pm

I doubted myself, so I went back and checked. Here is the final paragraph from the 23APR2012 issue of Hank Lee's Email Newsletter:

"And that's this week's Everything's A-OK Hotlist. Some fine new items for your perusal.
As always, and now more than ever, I want to thank you for taking the time to visit us. Whether it's online at www.magicfact.com or in person at 102 North Street in Medford, we really love the company.
Hank"

I guess if I don't want to hear from him anymore, I can always unsubscribe.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 24th, 2012, 1:09 am

NYCJoePItt wrote:I doubted myself, so I went back and checked. Here is the final paragraph from the 23APR2012 issue of Hank Lee's Email Newsletter:

"And that's this week's Everything's A-OK Hotlist. Some fine new items for your perusal.
As always, and now more than ever, I want to thank you for taking the time to visit us. Whether it's online at www.magicfact.com or in person at 102 North Street in Medford, we really love the company.
Hank"

I guess if I don't want to hear from him anymore, I can always unsubscribe.

Didn't Hank say in one of his earlier messages that although he was separated from the financial aspects of the business, he would still write ad copy?
=

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » April 24th, 2012, 1:16 am

I took the substance of his vow to "separate" from the operations to pertain to handling money/orders and in particular credit cards. That's hardly a ruse if he merely writes the copy for the email product pitches but doesn't in fact involve himself with the finances. And, as Richard suggests, there is ample existing material that would make for messages seemingly in his "voice."

There are forces that will be far more decisive than message-board fulminations, in particular the federal judicial system and the invisible hand of the market. These things tend to work out with rough justice being done.

Joe Strauch

Postby Joe Strauch » July 1st, 2012, 1:31 pm

I refrained from posting until my issue was resolved.
I made an order from the dealer in question sometime last year before I knew of any trouble. It was not a big ticket item, so I was not too worried. The item has been on back order.(I have since noticed all the dealer are out of stock of the item, and are waiting for the manufacturer to make more...)
After a couple of recent emails, I gave them a list of substitute items I can use. Miracle upon miracles, I just got an email notice that a package is on its way to me! I have no idea what is in it. What ever it is, it should be something I can use. The expected delivery date is Tuesday, so it will be Christmas in July! All is good for me. :)

Magic Bob

Postby Magic Bob » July 12th, 2012, 10:02 am

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 12th, 2012, 12:02 pm

"Sentencing in the case was originally slated for July 20, but it was rescheduled earlier this week to Sept. 6 by U.S. District Court Judge Patti Saris, according to court filings."

From the Lexington Patch.

Oddly Bent

Postby Oddly Bent » July 12th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:"Sentencing in the case was originally slated for July 20, but it was rescheduled earlier this week to Sept. 6 by U.S. District Court Judge Patti Saris, according to court filings."

From the Lexington Patch.

(1)I bet he has payed back the guy in Texas, agreed to a hefty fine, says he won't do it again and will get probation - OR - (2) the judge is giving him more time time get his affairs in order for a lengthy sentence.

Which one do you hope he will get?

I pick one because I'm a forgiving type type and realize that everyone makes mistakes in life, me included. AND, I'm not a rock thrower.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 12th, 2012, 5:52 pm

I've heard that he might go to the pokey.

Interesting background: the subject of the fraud was rumored to have offered to settle for $100,000 and would not have pursued the matter further, nor gone to the feds. It is said that Hank refused to settle.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 12th, 2012, 6:55 pm

If that rumor is true, it seems like an awfully fair settlement offer from R G. Perhaps Hank wasn't able to to come up with the funds, hence his refusal to settle.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 12th, 2012, 7:27 pm

It seems like pretty public knowledge (Since back in April) that R.G. (aka "Lord British) is the poor sod that got ripped by Hank Lee.

http://kotaku.com/5898468/rich-game-dev ... on-dollars

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » July 12th, 2012, 10:07 pm

The information and suppositions being bandied about are Incorrec and based on an early inaccurate post. Until the case is closed it would not be prudent to comment. The concerned parties appreciate not having their names linked to this unfortunate situation. While the information is out there, they appreciate that their magic friends and family are being supportive in this measure.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 28th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 28th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Grim stuff:

"Levy faces a total of up to 20 years in prison on the charges, but prosecutors agreed to seek a sentence at the "low end of sentencing guidelines," according to the plea agreement. and to have Levy ordered to pay resititution to the victim, according to the plea agreement.

In July, prosecutors filed a motion of forfeiture, which would allow the government to seize Levy's assets in order to obtain restitution. The Magic Factory has remained open since the charges were brought forward."

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 28th, 2012, 6:57 pm

Is it common practice for the defendant to undergo a formal psych eval in cases like this?

Oddly Bent

Postby Oddly Bent » August 29th, 2012, 11:27 am

erdnasephile wrote:Is it common practice for the defendant to undergo a formal psych eval in cases like this?

Especially if they are going to jail. Results of the examine determine where they go in some cases, that is, does the prison offer a treatment facility.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » August 29th, 2012, 11:53 am

I havent given Mr. Levy a psychological evaluation. What I am about to say is merely informed speculation, based upon what Ive read about this case.

It is not common practice for a defendant of these charges to undergo a psychological evaluation. Apparently, Mr. Levys words or actions during these proceedings have caused his defenders/supporters to be concerned about his mental status. Or he manipulatively raised the issue of his mental competence.

I suspect that Mr. Levy is currently expressing suicidal ideation or the defense is proposing that he had or has a psychological disorder that impaired his judgment and/or his ability to distinguish right from wrong. Or both.

If Mr. Levy is currently depressed and suicidal, its because he got caught, not because he is remorseful.

Apparently, he cannot or chooses not to feel empathy. He blames his victim and takes no responsibility for his actions.

He doesnt want the results of his psychological evaluation to be released because he is narcissistically attempting to preserve his illusory good guy persona.

Despite being impulsive and displaying poor judgment, his reality testing is not impaired. He is not psychotic. He knows right from wrong, as evidenced by his pathetic attempts to cover his tracks by lying and creating false documents.

Mr. Levys behaviors are consistent with a diagnosis of Antisocial Personality Disorder (301.7):

1) Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest.

2) Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure.

3) Impulsivity or failure to plan ahead.

4) Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from others.

Oh, what the hell, throw in a diagnosis of Bipolar I Disorder (296.43) for good measure.

But you know what? These potential diagnoses matter not a whit. Mr. Levy is still going to prison, as he should.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 29th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Mr. Frame, I assume you have the credentials to make these statements? (Others might be interested.)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 29th, 2012, 12:40 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Mr. Frame, I assume you have the credentials to make these statements? (Others might be interested.)

I think he was clear when he said "What I am about to say is merely informed speculation"

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 29th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Damain, I know that Tom is a trained psychologist or psychoanalyst, but I just wanted him to state exactly what his title is to give creedence to his "informed speculation."

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » August 29th, 2012, 1:56 pm

I have undergraduate and graduate degrees in psychology. I'm a licensed psychotherapist (MFT #33123) and clinical supervisor with over 20 years of experience.

I've been to this transparent psychological rodeo before. I have the tee-shirt.

As a mentor once told me, "Mental illness is no excuse for bad behavior."

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 29th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Thank you, sir!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 29th, 2012, 2:26 pm

Tom Frame wrote: As a mentor once told me, "Mental illness is no excuse for bad behavior."

Well, I'm gonna need a different excuse them. Any suggestions?

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » August 29th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Bill,

Clearly, you've recently engaged in a bit of naughtiness that is making you feel guilty or anxious. Does your wife know? Does the unfortunate pet's owner know?

In the grand scheme of things, those worries don't add up to a hill of beans, now do they?

But if you want to get yourself off the hook for your perceived or alleged transgressions, try this approach:

Book an appointment with a shrink. He'll ask for your presenting problem. No worries. Just make up a symptom or two. Tell him that you're anxious or depressed or having trouble sleeping. That will get you in the door.

Next, order him (not ask, but order) to give you a Rorshach test. This will cost extra, but hey, it's worth it in the long run.

When you see a certain card, tell him that you're seeing a censored with a claw.

That statement, along with your commanding demeanor and ensuing scratching, sweating and twiching will cause him to turn his back and quietly puke in his pants.

That's a good thing!

He will understandibly conclude that you are indeed nuts and he will be more than happy to help you with the paperwork required to get your SSDI benefits and meds.

Happy to help,

Tom

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 29th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Oh Tom, next thing we'll be seeing that as a prediction trick. :D

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » August 29th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Tom Frame with easily the post of the month. :)
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 29th, 2012, 6:22 pm

But that would be dishonest -- they all look like vaginas with claws.

(and tell me that there's not a few thousand bucks in therapy wrapped up in that image.)

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 29th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Great ... just great. To get that one out of my head I'm going to have to double down on the Ambien tonight.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 29th, 2012, 8:03 pm

It's actually "censored dentata," which is the archetypal image of the toothed censored. Read your Joseph Campbell. :)

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » August 30th, 2012, 11:02 am

Ah yes, our inviting nemesis censored dentata. If you masochistically crave a movie that will cause your junk to beat a hasty retreat into the sanctuary of your abdominal cavity, check out Teeth (2007), written and directed by Mitchell Lichtenstein.

The horror...the horror...

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 30th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Oddly Bent

Postby Oddly Bent » August 30th, 2012, 9:49 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:It's actually "censored dentata," which is the archetypal image of the toothed censored. Read your Joseph Campbell. :)

You've met my third wife?

J.L. Pettimore

Postby J.L. Pettimore » September 4th, 2012, 4:31 pm

First time poster here. I had a bad Hank Lee experience and have been following this. It looks like he may go to prison:

http://medford.patch.com/articles/30-mo ... tory-owner

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 4th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Details:
"The U.S. Attorney's Office wants Levy to serve a 30 month sentence in federal prison, two years supervised release, pay resitution to the victim and an additional $60,000 fine, according to the government's sentencing memorandum. ... While prosecutors seek prison time, Levy is looking for a sentence of six months in a halfway house, six months of home confinement and three years probation, according to a sentencing memorandum filed Sept. 3 by his attorney, Steven Sussman."

DOES anyone remember hearing about this?
"Then, Levy was hit with a $4 million lawsuit in 2008 from the family of a young Tennessee boy who used his parent's credit card to order a chemistry-based magic trick and ended up losing six fingers in an explosion."

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » September 4th, 2012, 11:04 pm

No, first I have heard of this. And you'd think something like that would have been brought up here or at one of the magic forums.

Jim

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » September 5th, 2012, 9:05 am

"He doesnt want the results of his psychological evaluation to be released because he is narcissistically attempting to preserve his illusory good guy persona."

Or perhaps the evaluation is a splattering of DSM jargon and he is simply making a motion to seal the record because that's what many criminal defendants do.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » September 5th, 2012, 9:56 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:
DOES anyone remember hearing about this?
"Then, Levy was hit with a $4 million lawsuit in 2008 from the family of a young Tennessee boy who used his parent's credit card to order a chemistry-based magic trick and ended up losing six fingers in an explosion."

I'm having a difficult time understanding exactly what magic effect was for sale in 2008 (only 4 years ago) that not only would have been available from Hank Lee, but was also legal to send through the mail, and would ultimately blow some poor kids fingers off.

Can't think of anything at all.

Something doesn't sound right about this portion of the story.

R.E.Byrnes

Postby R.E.Byrnes » September 5th, 2012, 12:16 pm

"I suspect that Mr. Levy is currently expressing suicidal ideation or the defense is proposing that he had or has a psychological disorder that impaired his judgment and/or his ability to distinguish right from wrong. Or both."

The inability to distinguish right from wrong is an aspect of an insanity defense. This is a sentencing report. The time for an insanity defense has long passed. Your post seems like an attempt to invoke lots of terminology broadly related to psychological evaluations in criminal cases, and in a collection of phrases that anyone with a few seasons of Law & Order under their belt could replicate, but with no close relation to either the substance or procedural status of this particular case. Does parroting the cliche "he's not remorseful, just sorry he got caught" require a credential, or just a taste for the hackneyed and shallow? While not common, a psychological evaluation in connection with sentencing isn't rare.
"[U]ndergraduate and graduate degrees in psychology" and a ubiquitous professional license would seem to be grounds for humility and reticence, as opposed to publishing this weird, speculative screed.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 5th, 2012, 2:11 pm

How about we just stick with the facts then: Hank lee is a thief.

Fair enough?

Return to “Buzz”