Dynamo, Magician Impossible, To Air in the US

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
mrgoat

Re: Dynamo, Magician Impossible, To Air in the US

Postby mrgoat » February 20th, 2012, 6:33 am

Yeah he does.

Minder

Postby Minder » February 20th, 2012, 8:49 am

I work on the show. I have been on every shoot. He does not use stooges.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 20th, 2012, 9:13 am

Minder wrote:I work on the show. I have been on every shoot. He does not use stooges.

What is your role?

Maybe you don't get told which of the obvious stooges are stooges so as to not leak out to the public which of the obvious stooges are stooges?

Minder

Postby Minder » February 20th, 2012, 9:23 am

There are no stooges. Period. End of story.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 20th, 2012, 9:37 am

Minder wrote:There are no stooges. Period. End of story.

Yes there are. Period. End of story.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 20th, 2012, 9:49 am

Which of the three stooges, or Iggy's band are involved in the show? Assistants?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 20th, 2012, 9:51 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Which of the three stooges, or Iggy's band are involved in the show? Assistants?

Oh there are many. Watch his walking on water or walking through a store window and if you can't spot several stooges (the bad acting is one clue, the obvious methodology of the effects is the other) I will send you a crisp five pound note.

:)

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » February 20th, 2012, 10:39 am

Good gracious, there's stooges in nearly every video I've ever seen of him.

The "walking through window" is a nice example.

You see, regardless of how badly you wish to **believe** in real magic......when you stand there as one of the [s]spectators[/s] stooges holding a coat, and the magi subsequently passes through a glass window as you watch......you don't "not see" anything as he's doing it, and then, when the effect is complete, suddenly become amazed beyond words as he appears on the other side of the glass.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you just watched the entire method take place before your "amazement"............and because you're a good stooge, you feigned surprise at the end.

No stooges?.......what a load of tosh........stooges in almost everything (involving people) that he does.

P.S. - although "stooge magic" isn't inherently weak by design when used by masters of the craft, the way it's abused by the like of Criss Angel and Dynamo highlight its every weakness.
To believe that laymen don't also see that weakness is to believe too much.

Gary Kosnitzky
Favorite Magician: Vazhakunnam Neelakanthan Namboothiri

Postby Gary Kosnitzky » February 20th, 2012, 12:11 pm

If they were going to hang this guy for being a magician
they would be hanging an innocent man!

Potty the Pirate

Postby Potty the Pirate » February 20th, 2012, 3:07 pm

What a bloody miracle! A thread in which both Mr Goat and Brad finally have something interesting and non-confrontational to say! It's a first for me. Although it's a big ol' debate, no doubt.
It's ridiculous to argue that in other areas of the Arts, there are not parallels which have been taking place already for decades. In Fine Art, I think Tracy Emin finally showed everyone the reality: my work for this semester has been to get drunk and sleep around....so here is my filthy bedroom. Although we also have Damien Hurst, Britains richest artist, who built his entire career from a macabre scientific book he discovered whilst working at a mortuary. In music, it's now quite acceptable to use technology to make a bad singer perfectly in tune.
Shows like X Factor and the "Talent" shows are ultimately responsible for the current attitude. If someone is POPULAR, for whatever reason, they get well-known. Jedward, Stavros Flatley, you know. No actual abilities, but people think theyre funny. Can you learn that?
At the top of the tree in many of the Modern Arts, you will find Mediocre Artists, who know how to pull the right strings, or just happen to pull the strings in the right order.
Years ago, (when showbiz was still not quite acceptable, and few showbiz folks could afford to bath as frequently as might be desirable in this profession), this would have been about sex. But today, its not....its all about money. Plain and simple. Seems quite odd to me, really. Perhaps we have all lost some atavistic sense (power), now that because of the ubiquitous shower, we are deprived of the scent (stench) of other peoples activities over the past month. I think there is a poem in that last sentence somewhere, but I cant be arsed to retrieve it.
Personally, I have a bath once a year, whether I need it or not.
I think there have been several most interesting observations about this dilemma as it pertains to magic. And I think Brad has the right idea. It would make sense for PROFESSIONALS to distinguish between "traditional" methods like sleight-of-hand, and "modern" methods like camera tricks. If the categories only really exist within the magic and entertainment fraternity, they leave the layman apart. A simple distinguishing terminology: perhaps even "traditional" and "modern"?
The point being, that in time, the concept of the different branches of the Art would reach the layman organically. In the end, I think it would be to magicians' advantage if there were a distinction made along these lines. But I think it should be subtle....so, Brad, choose your terms, and "coin them". I'm sure with your inexorable abilities you could easily create a concept of the division of these two takes on performing magic, and then assign a clever and memorable word?

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » February 20th, 2012, 4:14 pm

Spacebar Potty, at the bottom of your keyboard :)

Simone M

Postby Simone M » February 20th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Why do you guys act like you expect TV to broadcast good stuff, by the way?! It's pretty clear that it's not a meritocratic system and only what's functional gets on screen.

I guess Dynamo is functional. He might be handicapped with a deck of cards (this I don't know...he can't be that bad as you people say), but for modern days TV standards he's better than most by a country mile.

Musician had to accept this fact a long time ago. So had most of the other performing artists and people of culture. What do you expect, the generic audience, as superficial as it is, to sit and watch something poignant, on screen, for more than 5 minutes?

TV stopped being a guarantee of quality 25 years ago. I mean, Penn and Teller had a TV show where they talked about culture. Bloody Penn talking about bloody psychology, economy and politics. This says a lot.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 20th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Fair point Simone

We shouldn't expect TV magic to be good, but should we just roll over and die when they use editing, stooges and camera tricks?

I think not.

Return to “Buzz”