The Magicians (BBC)

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
mrgoat

The Magicians (BBC)

Postby mrgoat » January 8th, 2012, 5:39 am

There was a new series started last night.

I worked out what the problem is. It's three things.

1) Celebs that are not magicians do not make good magicians, thus all the tricks appear to be being done by someone who is not very good. Which is, in fact, what the case is.

2) The tricks themselves are often not good. Pete Firman, whom I like, did a forced card to sausage. It wasn't good. Getting spectators to handle raw sausages? Really?

3) The entire show is not rehearsed enough. I heard the podcast where Mr Wilson explained about how little time they had etc. It shows. The cuts, the auto cue reading, the whole thing seemed like they had gone through it once, 5 minutes before it aired

Now, all this isn't to say that getting any magic onto prime time bbc isn't hard, or a feat to be applauded etc. But that is, for me at least, why the show leaves me cold. My girlfriend, who loves magic, read a book through last night's episode.

r paul wilson

Re: The Magicians (BBC)

Postby r paul wilson » January 8th, 2012, 7:20 am

Just to clarify - the podcast referenced by "mrgoat" was recorded in January 2011 in reference to The Magicians series ONE.

Best,

P

AJM

Postby AJM » January 8th, 2012, 8:31 am

But wasn't Flavia good - I'd sign her up for the entire series.

Was she doing magic too? I never noticed to be honest...

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 8th, 2012, 9:47 am

Some good magicians doing some tricks you can huy in your local magic shop (and thus find on YouTube), with a "Circus of the Stars" gauche overtone.

Quite bad, from the company who produce the wildly popular Masterchef series.

I'm glad to see so much magic on TV here in England, but this does not elevate our art.

Matt Field

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » January 8th, 2012, 12:34 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Flavia covered for her magician pretty well when he was having trouble setting up his coins in the middle of the routine.
I didn't enjoy tthe showw, but no doubt it got millions of viewers, and ought to be a lesson for us on the type of magic we should be doing....

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 8th, 2012, 12:50 pm

Ratings count. Series one delivered, and if series two delivers then all involved will be happy. Except magicians not on the show! :)

The notion of having "stars" who are non-magicians doing magic has always been controversial. But, does the lay audience really differentiate between someone like Orson Welles, who was a star AND a genuine magician, and any other "star" who does a magic trick they've been coached through the day before?

What is MOST important is having magic on TV on the major broadcast network in prime time. Kids see it, and get interested, and this makes little magicians who will keep our craft going.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ian Keable

Postby Ian Keable » January 11th, 2012, 1:32 pm

It must be remembered that the show is basically aimed at a family audience - it's 6-30 on a Saturday night - where the whole family can sit down together and watch it. Most magicians are agreed that magicians having to work with a celebrities doesn't enhance the magic: but, there again, without the inclusion of celebrities, none of the magicians would be on prime-time television in the first place.

What will be interesting to see is if any of the performers can make an impact - such that a TV company is prepared to give them their own show. Latimer (as he likes to be called) has the handicap of being American (I'm not being xenophobic - it's very hard for an American to make an impact on British TV, just as it would be vice versa). Barry & Stuart aren't really in their natural environment - which is really late night television. So the money, if any, has to be on Pete Firman.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » January 11th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Ian,

Do you really think Pete could be the next big thing on TV. I'm not convinced. Don't know the chap, seems very assured and is a good performer.

I've often wondered where the next Paul Daniels will come from or if even that's what TV exec's want.

How on earth John Archer hasn't broken through to be a TV star is beyond me. Maybe its because John isn't 21 anymore. That said I see he is working on "My teacher is a magician" made by Objective.

Seems to be that mentalism as Derren, surely General Magic needs a new TV star in Britain.

B
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » January 12th, 2012, 8:12 am

I seem to recall John mentioning a couple of months ago, that he was shooting a seies for CBBC, the childrens section of the BBC.
This will elevate his profile no end.:)
I think that with the exception of Jason, the magicians on the show tend to veer towards adult, and darker themes in their own live performances, and there fore Its possible that the taming down of routines and patter, takes the edge off their performances in the Magicians.
Im sue that Pete for instance, has a much ruder patter line for the sausages, if he does it in his current set.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » January 12th, 2012, 9:10 am

Hi Dale,

Yes. the "My teacher is a magician" by Objective is the CBBC thingy.

I would love to see John make a mainstream breakthrough. Not only is he funny as heck, talented, learned but he has put in more time then most I know. He really has paid his time.

B
Brendan

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 12th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Ian Keable wrote:very hard for an American to make an impact on British TV,

You're unaware of Penn and Teller? David Blaine? Copperfield?

All seemed to do rather well on British telly as I recall.

:)

Ian Keable

Postby Ian Keable » January 13th, 2012, 5:33 am

You're unaware of Penn and Teller? David Blaine? Copperfield?

All seemed to do rather well on British telly as I recall.

My point was more about British TV companies making programmes starring American magicians - similar to The Paul Daniels Magic Show or Derren Brown shows. I concede that this has happened with Penn & Teller, Fool Us (although that also proves my point - a much better programme in many respects than The Magicians; but it hasn't got recommissioned, whereas The Magicians did).

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 13th, 2012, 7:04 am

Penn & Teller Fool Us has, I believe, been recommissioned (renewed).

Matt Field

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 13th, 2012, 8:28 am

Ian Keable wrote:
My point was more about British TV companies making programmes starring American magicians - similar to The Paul Daniels Magic Show or Derren Brown shows.

How many have made any shows similar to PD or DB with ENGLISH magicians? None I can think of.

Ian Keable wrote: I concede that this has happened with Penn & Teller, Fool Us (although that also proves my point - a much better programme in many respects than The Magicians; but it hasn't got recommissioned, whereas The Magicians did).

It has been recommissioned AFAIK and P&T have had two other series in the past here too.

Anyway, I'm glad I'll be at The Session tomorrow night so won't have to watch The Magicians.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 13th, 2012, 11:06 am

I thought that I read somewhere in the British press that Penn & Teller: Fool Us was really seen as a vehicle for Jonathan Ross, not P&T.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ian Keable

Postby Ian Keable » January 15th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Well I stand corrected if Penn & Teller Fool Us has been recommissioned. And I look forward to the Latimer show on prime time British TV!

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » January 24th, 2012, 6:37 pm

For those across the pond who fancy a glimpse at Magicians

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater
Brendan

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 28th, 2012, 5:01 pm

Wayne Dobson isn't a fan ...

http://www.waynedobson.co.uk/newsletter.htm

"Somebody once said to me, "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all!" Hence the reason I have remained tight lipped regarding the latest series of The Magicians, but after last Saturday's show and the unforgivable exposure of the 'Slicer' illusion I can't keep quiet any longer.

I cannot believe that the producers think that by changing the Magicians and Presenter it will improve the show, when really the problem is not the magicians, it is the format it's all wrong. How on earth can you expect the magicians to look like professionals when they are surrounded by amateurs I mean you could put a tramp in a 1000 suit and they would still smell like [censored]!

Giving the slicer illusion to Barry and Stuart is like drinking expensive wine from a polystyrene cup or eating fillet steak from a paper plate or even giving pigs after shave. In fact, they would have been better off if they had been given 'Hippity Hop Rabbits' as they would have made it far more entertaining and less chance of exposure ...

When people speak of Derren Brown and David Blaine it makes me feel so proud to be a magician, but when shows like 'The Magicians' are mentioned I feel quite embarrassed.

Magic performed well is one of the best forms of entertainment however, when performed badly it is one of the worst!"

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 29th, 2012, 10:54 am

Mr Dobson is spot on. And the ratings are falling through the floor each week too.

Return to “Buzz”