Mark Nelson: Rest Easy My Friend

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Mark Nelson: Rest Easy My Friend

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 5th, 2012, 11:54 pm

I just got word that my friend, "The Voice of the Magic Castle," Mark Nelson has passed away. I cannot say any more than that right now. Rest well my friend.

CraigMitchell

Re: Mark Nelson: Rest Easy My Friend

Postby CraigMitchell » January 5th, 2012, 11:58 pm

That's tragic news ! My condolences to the family ;-(

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » January 6th, 2012, 12:38 am

Oh my, that's so sad. Condolences to family and friends alike. I mean no disrespect when I say that for magic to lose Mark is like the Yankees losing Bob Sheppard.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 6th, 2012, 12:43 am

I think Mark would like that Bill. Mark had a one-of-kind voice that could not be mistaken for anyone else. One day Richard and I were sitting in the Tiki Room at Disneyland. As others were still coming in, I heard that voice behind me. In my best Forest Gump, I said, "That's Mark Nelson." Sure enough, sitting behind us was Mark and a friend.

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » January 6th, 2012, 12:46 am

He was the very best guy at the Castle. His passing leaves a hole in the Castle bigger than the fire did. When I read this shocking and untimely news, my world just shrank.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 6th, 2012, 12:59 am

Wow--this is a shock. Any news on the cause?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 6th, 2012, 1:21 am

Not yet. He was found in his home after not having been heard from for a couple of days. I don't need to tell you that Mark was facing several health challenges.

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » January 6th, 2012, 5:48 am

Long time friend and Magic Castle Board of Directors member Jean Boyle was asked to check-up on Mark when he didn't do his Castle phone updates for a few days (she was already worried because he wasn't returning calls). As many of you know, he was the voice of the Magic Castle. She went to his house and saw newspapers pilled up, became worried and contacted his family, who in turn contacted 911. When police arrived they discovered that Mark had passed a few days before.

There are few people at the Magic Castle who are as beloved as Mark was. He was my friend for more than twenty years and I find it hard to imagine our club without him. He was the best of people. As Bill Larsen would say... Aloha, Mark.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 6th, 2012, 10:25 am

Mark Evanier offers a tribute, including a nice photo.

Magic Newswire

Broken Wand :: Mark Nelson

Postby Magic Newswire » January 6th, 2012, 11:11 am

I am sad to report on the passing of AMA Trustee Board Chairman Mark Nelson: http://bit.ly/ybOREu

Gordon Bean

Re: Broken Wand :: Mark Nelson

Postby Gordon Bean » January 6th, 2012, 12:31 pm

What sad news, and what a loss. Mark's ebullience and intelligence were such a gift to the Castle and, through his writing, to magic in general. It's hard to accept that we won't see that amazing growing smile of his again.

F.Amílcar
Favorite Magician: J. N. Hofzinser

Postby F.Amílcar » January 6th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Dustin,

Our condolences to his family from Spain.

F. Amlcar Riega i Bello.
SECRETARY OF NATIONAL COUNCIL S.E.I.

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » January 6th, 2012, 5:52 pm

Mark had so many great qualities, but I think the one that best sums him up for me came from one of the many accolades that have been posted on the Castle Facebook page: "Mark made all of us feel like we were his close, personal friend."

I'm still reeling from the news.
The MacGician®

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 11th, 2012, 12:32 am

A message from AMA President Neil Patrick Harris:

We are all deeply saddened by the untimely passing of Mark Nelson. His value to The Academy of Magical Arts over these many years is immeasurable. He was the voice of the club, literally and figuratively, and will be missed by many. Funeral services for Mark will be private. However, the Academy will be having a "Celebration of Life" event at the Castle as soon as it is coordinated between his family and the club.

Neil Patrick Harris, President, Board of Directors

chipper

Postby chipper » January 15th, 2012, 5:01 am

Many years ago, my wife and I moved into a tiny little apartment in Glendale, with T.C. Tahoe and Lesley on the top floor above us, and with Mark's door right next to ours on the bottom porch. Even though we knew each other before then, this was really the real beginning of a long lasting friendship.

Mark loved magic, variety, movies, writing, and the Magic Castle. He was so passionate about the club, and believed and pushed for wanting nothing more than for it to be the best it could be. Whenever I worked the Palace, he would always stop by to either catch the shows from the audience, or work backstage filling in for Bryan, and we'd wind up chatting well into the wee hours of the morning about everything under the sun. Very often valet would make the rounds, and hand us our keys because we more often than not, closed the place.

His smile seemed to be endless, and his stories and knowledge were a treat during our long-winded conversations. He once did an interview on me for Magic Magazine. He could have simply called me up on the phone, but instead he headed out to Vegas while I was working there at Harrahs. He caught my show twice, and I wound up being interviewed by him for the next two and a half days straight, as we ate a few lunches and dinners at several locations all around Vegas. He must have used up countless audio cassettes, but it didn't matter as it was always a kick to chat with him - Good, long talks on a myriad of subjects. How he edited down the tapes into a cohesive piece, I'll never know, but he did an amazing job. He was a terrific writer.

When the news came that Mark had passed away, I was shocked. And it took me quite a few days to wrap my head around it all, as I realized I had always thought of him as sort of a permanent friend and fixture at the Castle - One of those loyal and good guys who you think would be around forever, and that smile always made you feel welcome. His laugh was contagious, and I looked forward to seeing him every couple of months whenever I was back in town.

I will miss him greatly. He, to me, and I think many others, was one of the 'great ones' at the Castle. And because of who he was, I'm sure he would simply smile, chuckle, and deny that statement like crazy. :)

Return to “Buzz”