Skirball Exhibits in today's LA TIMES

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Skirball Exhibits in today's LA TIMES

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

It's an art exhibit, not a kid's show. If the Skirball is playing it up as a kid's show, then they're idiots. I guess they need the donations from bus loads full of schoolchildren rather than adults.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » May 7th, 2011, 1:25 pm

That's is the main audience or at least half of the audience for the exhibit, children.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » May 18th, 2011, 9:20 am

Another article on the Skirball exhibit:
http://blogs.forward.com/the-arty-semite/137855/

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » May 23rd, 2011, 12:17 am

Has anybody got the hardcover book published by the Museum that accompanies this exhibit? (the one with the round hole in the front cover, Houdini peeking through).

I'm not normally a fan of "art" exhibit books, as they're usually somewhat over the top in their efforts to "explain" everything the artist (in this case, Houdini) did in their career in terms of it having some grand connection with the cosmos........and of course ART.

In this case though, likely because I know a fair bit about the subject matter (as I suspect do we all here on this forum), the book is an excellent look at some of the reasons why Houdini resonated, and continues to resonate, with the world at large.

It's not really a book about the details of how Houdini did what he did, but more why, in his mid to late career when he did something, millions payed attention........and perhaps most importantly, why his actions and name stuck (and continue to stick) with us.

The book attempts to explain in an understandable fashion (even if you don't have an art major) what human condition(s) he tapped into that took him to such heights.

I resist using the word, but it tries to examine Houdini's "mystique".

Surprisingly, the book is relatively inexpensive (under $30.00) handsomely bound, and loaded with amazing photographs, many of which I've not seen before.
Lots of "arty" contributors, but also a couple of hard core Houdini scholars and collectors as well.......from this very forum.

All in all, an excellent read for a Houdini fan, or a fan of general magic history.
I got mine from Amazon.

Return to “Buzz”