East Coast Memorial for Bob Elliott - Parker Institute New Hyde Park- January 13, 2011

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Eric DeCamps

East Coast Memorial for Bob Elliott - Parker Institute New Hyde Park- January 13, 2011

Postby Eric DeCamps » December 19th, 2010, 8:34 pm

[size:14pt][font:Book Antiqua]
Bob Elliott
or as he was better known as, Elliott the Great, left an enduring impression on the magic world. Not just only through his lifetime commitment toward the craft, but more importantly through his devotion towards the countless number of people that he nurtured and cultivated into becoming some of the finest magicians of our time.

Bob and his wife, Happy, were the heart of the New York magic scene for decades and their hospitality was legendary. Bob was a friend, confidant and collaborator to many of the most influential names in the world of magic. Names such as: Derek Dingle, Harry Lorayne, Herb Zarrow, Juan Tamariz, Arturo de Ascanio, Frank Garcia, David Roth, David Blaine and David Copperfield.

Bob served many years as an outstanding member of both the International Brotherhood of Magicians Rings #26 and #244 and eventually working up the chairs and becoming the president of both of these respected organizations. In 2003 the International Brotherhood of Magicians Ring #252, in Central Pennsylvania, named their Ring in his honor and it is now known as the Bob Elliott Ring.

Of all of Bobs accomplishments in the world of magic, his proudest achievement was helping to lead Tannens Magic Camp. Bob served as director of the camp for young and upcoming magicians for over two decades. At the same time Bob was also the executive director for close up magic at the renowned Tannens Magic Jubilees.

Bobs responsibilities were to organize and acquire the best sleight of hand artists from all over the globe to exhibit their talents at this world class event. In 1999 the Tannens organization, in recognition for his lifetime achievement and dedication to the art of magic, presented Bob with the prestigious Louie Award.

When anyone brings up the name of Bob Elliott in conversation the comments are always the same; generous, considerate, giving, thoughtful, inspiring and most important of all... dear friend.

Bob Elliott is survived by his wife of 38 years Happy, his daughter Jennifer and his son John.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 7:00pm
The Parker Institute (LIJ)
271-11 76th Avenue
New Hyde Park, New York 11040-1433
Tel: 718-289-2100 / 516-247-6500

For more info: Bob Elliott Memorial

[/font][/size]

Eric DeCamps

Re: East Coast Memorial for Bob Elliott - Parker Institute New Hyde Park- January 13, 2011

Postby Eric DeCamps » January 10th, 2011, 6:26 am

[font:Book Antiqua][size:14pt]
The East Coast Memorial for Bob Elliot
t is this Thursday January 13, 2011 at 7:00pm sharp.

I have been asked for directions so please see below:

DIRECTIONS TO PARKER INSTITUTE AT LONG ISLAND JEWISH HOSPITAL

L.I.E. (Route 495)
Westbound
Exit 33 Lakeville Road/New Hyde Park - Proceed on service road to second traffic light. Make left turn onto Lakeville Rd. and go under the expressway trestle. Proceed south one mile; make a right at the entrance to Parker Jewish Institute and LIJ. Make a right at the stop sign and proceed to the valet parking lot. Parker is the white building with blue trim.

Eastbound
Exit 33 Lakeville Road. From service road, make right turn onto Lakeville Road. Proceed south one mile; make a right at the entrance to Parker Jewish Institute and LIJ. Make a right at the stop sign and proceed to the valet parking lot. Parker is the white building with blue trim.

Northern State (Grand Central) Parkway
Westbound
Exit 25S Lakeville Rd./New Hyde Park - Proceed on Lakeville Rd. to the 3rd light and make a right at the entrance to Parker Jewish Institute and LIJ. Make a right at the stop sign and proceed to the valet parking lot. Parker is the white building with blue trim.
Eastbound
Exit at Lakeville Road. Make right turn into Marcus Avenue and proceed to traffic light. Make left turn onto Lakeville Road. Proceed south 3/10 mile to the Parker Institute entrance on the right (there's a light here). Proceed to the stop sign, make a right and go to the valet parking lot. Parker is the white building with blue trim.

Note: Parking is free if you tell the Parking Attendant that you are part of the magic group, otherwise it'll cost you $5.

[/size][/font]

Mike Rubinstein

Re: East Coast Memorial for Bob Elliott - Parker Institute New Hyde Park- January 13, 2011

Postby Mike Rubinstein » January 14th, 2011, 9:30 pm

This was an amazing event. Over two hundred people filled the room, to hear story after story about how Bob Elliott touched people's lives and hearts. Eric DeCamps did a trememndous job, keeping things moving along. So many people wanted to share their unique stories about what Bob did for them. we heard from Eric, Harry Lorayne, Meir Yedid, Tony Spina, Bob's brother and son, and so many more. David Copperfield called in to share his thoughts, and we saw a video presentation from Chris Angel, who also had some wonderful things to say. I walked away learning things I never knew about Bob Elliott, and so much I already knew - how he helped so many magicians, never asking anything for himself. He will most certainly be missed, but his memory will stay alive, in the hearts of the people he touched.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » January 15th, 2011, 8:12 pm

[size:14pt][font:Book Antiqua]
Thank you Michael for your kind words. It was truly an honor for me to preside, host and help organize the Memorial for Bob Elliott.

There are three other people who also worked on organizing the memorial who, in the spirit of Bobs legacy, gave generously of their time to make sure that all was done with respect and dignity. They are: Dennis Cook, Bill White and Tom Potente. They were not just friends but all were family to Bob.

I would also like to recognize our magic community who traveled from all over the East Coast to support and pay their respects to an incredible human being. Bobs widow Happy, his daughter Jennifer and his son John were very moved that so many people joined them in celebrating Bobs life.

All in all, in a recent conversation I had with my dear friend Alan Ace Greenberg, summed up Bob perfectly. Ace said to me, Eric in all my life, with all my travels and all the people I have met. I have never met a more unselfish person than Bob Elliott. Bob was all give!

Eric DeCamps

[/font][/size]

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » January 16th, 2011, 9:27 pm

[font:Book Antiqua][size:14pt]
Very nice obit/article from the San Diego Union-Tribune on Bob Elliott

Bob Elliott - San Diego Union- Tribune

Thanks to George Schindler for bringing this to my attention.

Eric DeCamps[/size]
[/font]

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 16th, 2011, 9:51 pm

I had no idea that Bob had a twin brother!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Devious

Postby Devious » March 5th, 2012, 5:00 am

I just wanted to let folks know that Happy Elliott
is still keeping an eye out for her friends in magic.

She is helping Tom Mullica with his return to magic.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » March 6th, 2012, 12:34 pm

[size:14pt]
@ Devious - It's very kind of you to post this picture of you and Happy.
It warms my heart to see her again and to know that she's working with Tom Mullica. Wonderful, simply wonderful.

I can sense Bob smiling. :-)

Eric DeCamps

[/size]

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 7th, 2012, 12:49 pm

I just emailed Tom Mullica. The above story is not true: Tom is not working with Happy, and he is not returning to magic. But he will be the MC at a show at Abbott's convention this summer.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Devious

Postby Devious » March 7th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Folks, that's what I got from Happy.
Perhaps I misinterpreted her comments.

Return to “Buzz”