Rick Lax Dumps on Criss Angel's New Magic Set

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Rick Lax Dumps on Criss Angel's New Magic Set

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 5th, 2010, 12:19 pm

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2010 ... magic-kit/

Rick Lax doesn't like Criss Angel's new Platinum Magic Set. I don't agree with most of what he writes, except that (as you'll have read in the November Genii Speaks) I think Criss made a mistake in not doing the demos of the tricks on the included DVD himself. Rick doesn't seem to know who the demonstrator is, even though he's introduced at the beginning of the DVD by name and shown full body including his face.

I'm impressed by Criss's marketing: I've seen the set in my local Best Buy, probably the first magic set ever sold in that venue.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

keeper

Re: Rick Lax Dumps on Criss Angel's New Magic Set

Postby keeper » December 6th, 2010, 3:14 pm

I've read a lot of negative reviews from magician's about this set too. I guess they can't seperate their feelings for the man from the product. I came at the end of the Adams kit and the begining of the TV Magic kits and this is EASILY superior to both. Quality products, good price, detailed instruction booklet and video instructions to boot. It's a perfect gift for a budding magician and of course a must for magic set collectors. The bigger version sold thru Murphy's gives you even more bang for your buck.

I read a comment (not here) from someone that used this kit as a springboard to say Angel's 15 minutes are almost up. A magic set with your face and logo on it in every Walgreens and Best Buy (and who knows where else) sure dosn't sound like anything but success to me. He could have played off his celebrity status and just slapped his picture on a generic set. Instead there was obvious time and care taken to design a quality product. Nice work!
Every day is a magical adventure!

Al D'Alfonso

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » December 7th, 2010, 11:34 am

It's odd...he really doesn't dump on the kit so much as dump on Angel. He says "The worst part of the kit is the DVD..." which seems to imply the rest of the kit is bad as well, but If you read the final line, he seems to almost "praise" it. It's interesting that Criss chose to leave out the tricks and only include "Mindfreaks".
This is nothing more than yesterdays TV Magic Kits, re-packaged. This can only be a good thing, in my humble opinion.
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 7th, 2010, 11:43 am

Brandon wrote, "This is nothing more than yesterdays TV Magic Kits, re-packaged. This can only be a good thing, in my humble opinion."

Not so at all. The TV Magic Kits were among the crappiest magic sets produced. Cheap junk. The Criss Angel Ultimate Set (I have not seen the Plantinum) is a beautiful set--good tricks and nicely made ... not stuff just purchased from China and dumped in a box.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » December 7th, 2010, 1:11 pm

What I meant was that TV Magic Kits helped to introduce a generation of new magicians to the hobby, not a comment on the quality, per se. I began with a set of TV Magic Cards...
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"

P. Townshend

KirkG

Postby KirkG » December 7th, 2010, 3:21 pm

I think beginning kits should have good tricks, but not professional tools. I.E. No thumb tips, thread, but not invisible thread, Invisible decks - No.

Whet their appetite, but save the real secrets for those who continue on in the art.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 7th, 2010, 4:12 pm

I like the book which is itself almost a show of essentially self working tricks as ambasador product - where if one is interested and wishes to persue the matter of how the tricks work one can - and if so - to what extent is up to them. Nothing taught/exposed at that level.

Is that book still in print?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Terrence

Postby Terrence » December 7th, 2010, 8:18 pm

I've sold several CA Ultimate Sets at Hollywood Toys & Costumes.

We have 1 set open for the display (w/ the Thumb Tip missing) -- I sell these sets for ages 10 plus -- any younger then they'll have a hard time learning -- especially the Professors Nightmare, etc...

These sets are way nicer -- shiny chrome Ball and Vase, gothic black Card Frame, shiny cups for Cups & Balls, CA Branded Decks. They're superior in look & feel.

Agree with RK.

Return to “Buzz”