Frank Shields Magic Bartender in the Bay area

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Doc Eason

Frank Shields Magic Bartender in the Bay area

Postby Doc Eason » November 21st, 2010, 5:08 am

I am looking for material about Frank Shields a magic bartender who worked in the SF Bay area for nearly 40 years. I have been in touch with Gene Matsuura, Pete Biro and a few other people, most notably a fellow named Marc McGuire who spent time with Frank at the Pony Club in Oakland.

Unfortunately, the bulk of material seems to reside in Idaho, in the files of one Jeff Busby. He apparently has video, audio and copious notes about Frank. I doubt that he is interested in sharing any of it. So sadly much of the lore of Frank may never see the light of day.

Though it may be worth a shot, contacting Mr Busby is not easy. Email addresses that I have unearthed are no longer viable and I am reluctant to pick up the phone.

So this post asks two questions... Do you know anything about Frank Shields (stories, articles, rumors)? I would love to communicate with you and pick your brain. and .. does anyone have any updated information about Jeff Busby?

Thanks.

Doc
Doc Eason
www.doceason.com
www.doceasonmagicshop.com

Chas Nigh

Re: Frank Shields Magic Bartender in the Bay area

Postby Chas Nigh » August 6th, 2015, 11:50 am

The Pony Club was your typical neighborhood dive. It was unbelievable that you could walk in there and see such high caliber magic coming from a bartender. He was a big ham fisted guy who might have reminded you of Eddie Fechter. His super count routine was the best I've ever seen. From what I understand he would practice his ass off. And it showed.

RickBelford

Postby RickBelford » August 6th, 2015, 5:11 pm

Doc,

Jeff Busby passed in 2/2014, but a search of his funeral information online, will show some family members that you might be able to contact to continue your quest for Frank Shields info.

Rick Belford

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 6th, 2015, 8:18 pm

Doc's post is from 2010. I'm not sure if this search is still on his radar or not.

Return to “Buzz”