Charles Reynolds

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
David Oliver

Charles Reynolds

Postby David Oliver » November 4th, 2010, 11:59 am

For the past hour I have seen some information circulating around the web about the passing of magic historian, legend and friend, Charles Reynolds. However, there has been nothing posted here on the Genii Forum. I know Charles had been ill as of late. Does anyone have any further info?

Charles was always kind to me, and would constantly offer words of encouragement and support.

My heart and prayers go out to Regina and the family on the loss of such a giant in our field.
- DO

Magic Newswire

Re: Charles Reynolds

Postby Magic Newswire » November 4th, 2010, 12:00 pm

I just heard about this from Levent and was about to post it here when I saw yours David. Levent is writing a piece which I will be posting shortly. His family will be in our thoughts.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » November 4th, 2010, 12:01 pm

He did pass away today aged 78. R.I.P.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 4th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Peter Samelson reported that Charles Reyolds died this morning.

He was best friends with my dear buddy, the late Patrick Page. Pat wouldn't make a move without conferring with Charlie.

Deeepest condolences to Regina. Magic has lost one of its best.

Matt Field

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 4th, 2010, 2:08 pm

So sad to hear this.

Mr. Reynolds had my enduring respect for writing some of the most honest columns I ever read--even when it wasn't popular to express those views.

We sure could use more of the likes of him.

RIP, Mr. Reynolds.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » November 4th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Just received a great picture by Levent and a nice piece on the passing of Charlie: http://bit.ly/9KyiY7

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 4th, 2010, 2:58 pm

I'm very saddened by this news. He was a wonderful man, very patient and open with his time and knowledge. He didn't know me from Adam, but always took the time to answer my questions.

My condolences to Regina, his family, and friends.

Dustin

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » November 4th, 2010, 3:34 pm

I was looking forward to spending some time with him next week at the Yankee Gathering...

I had the great pleasure to visit Charles and Regina at their home in New York in 2007 in my first round of interviews for Reel Magic Magazine. He was an extremely kind and generous man and I hope that one day the interview will be released so others can learn from him firsthand.

My heart goes out to Regina and his family. Charles was well-loved and will be dearly missed.

ajp

AnthonyBrahams

Postby AnthonyBrahams » November 4th, 2010, 4:31 pm

A wonderful person has gonea very good friend Jill and I spent much time with him and Regina, often happily hearing his extensive knowledge of many topics.We value and remember his kindness and fun.

We shall miss him so much.
Anthony

Tabman

Postby Tabman » November 4th, 2010, 5:06 pm

This is sad news of another iconic figure. Who will fill their shoes? Condolences to his family and friends.

M.Lee

Postby M.Lee » November 4th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Charles was always fun and a wealth of information, I have been to there home of Charles & Regina many times and even though Charles was not a performer he was very 'up' on cretain underground secrets which he freely shared with me .

When he attended my show a couple of yrs ago, he was very enthuastic like a kid in a candy store and was very complamentry toward my work,

RIP Charles

Michael Lee

David Linsell

Postby David Linsell » November 4th, 2010, 5:48 pm

In one of those wonderful accidental coincidences, I am a graduate of The School of Visual Arts in NYC, the same college that Charles Reynolds was the director of the Photography Department, and Roy Benson taught at. I missed both at SVA as I attended in the 70s, but Charles and Regina have been close friends for years.

I just saw Charles and Regina last June. First a long leisurely visit when I was in NYC on other business, and then a few weeks later up in Toronto for Juans performances at the Luminato Festival. Magic and photography were twin passions for Charles and I was lucky to share both with him.

We will all miss him very much.

David Linsell

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 4th, 2010, 5:57 pm

We go back a long way through magic AND photography.

A recent assignment of mine was to take a portrait photo of Charles, which I have just posted at www.petebiro.com

RIP, Olde Friend.
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 4th, 2010, 7:41 pm

This was sent out by George Schindler: I received it via Alan Watson's e-zine:

Broken Wand - Charles Reynolds (Raymond), MIMC

Message from George Schindler

The Society of American Magician mourns the passing of it's honored member Charles Reynolds.

November 4. 2010
Charles Reynolds

In Toledo, Ohio some years ago, no one knew or suspected a magical genius had been born. During his high school and college years, on summer vacations, Charles Reynolds worked for a magic shop and on a touring illusion and spook show. He credits the usual magic set and seeing Blackstone, Sr., as influencing him.

Majoring in theatre he received Bachelor and Masters degrees at the University of Michigan. His first twenty years in New York he was a freelance photographer for Time, Playboy, etc. Then he became picture editor for many publications. Charles met Regina, his wife, while editing a magazine for which she was the executive director. They are married over thirty years and collaborated on many projects, including books on magic posters and the Blackstone Book of Magic and Illusion. They have done books on their own and Regina edits a monthly newsletter for a professional photography organization.

His magic creations have been seen in Broadway, Off-Broadway shows, films, operas, TV commercials and rock concerts. He was magic consultant for Doug Henning on all eight TV shows, a feature film a Broadway musical, Merlin. In 1980 he was magic director for Blackstone! On Broadway and with Regina, producer of a PBS TV special. Too numerous to mention are the other Broadway shows, industrial and TV shows such as Hart to Hart, Saturday Night Live and the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. Much of Charles Reynolds's has been spent in England where he has been employed by Thames Television and others.

He has investigated Psychic and Paranormal phenomena and reporting on same. He has contributed articles on magic to national and international publications as well as numerous newspapers. A guest lecturer at the Smithsonian Institution. He taught a class on Magic as Theatre and was a creative consultant for the off-Broadway show "Mind Games," starting mentalist, Mark Salem.

He has always been he is actively engaged in creating the magic for Broadway shows. This quiet but extremely forceful, knowledgeable man, has made his mark in the field of magic, almost every aspect of it. He has received awards from the Magic Castle, was nominated for a New York Drama Desk Award for his magic creations in 'Merlin. Mr. Reynolds was elected a Gold Star member of London's Inner Magic Circle, the highest honor bestowed by the British Magic community.

In the year 2000 he was magic consultant to the Broadway production of The Green Bird, the Paper Mill Playhouse production of Pippin. In the current year he has been involved as consultant to Radio City Music Hall and the upcoming Broadway show The Magician.

In July of , 2002, on the occasion of the centenary of the Society of American Magicians, he was the first recipient of the Milbourne Christopher foundation Masters Award for Significant and Outstanding Contributions to Magic. He was the 2004 Society of American Magicians "Magician of the Year" in NYC. and d has been a member for 48 years,. Other details will follow.

Charles Reynolds was an icon in the world of magic and will be missed.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

JimAlfredson

Postby JimAlfredson » November 4th, 2010, 8:34 pm

There are certainly those who knew Charles Reynolds better than I, but few left, I suspect, that knew him longer. As young guys, Charles would wend his way north from Toledo to Colon for the Abbott affairs, as I would wend my way south from Lansing. We go back a long way. In those days, he was getting early entry into the production of magic shows by working for an unusual personality, and pal of his from the University of Michigan, called Russ Brown. A talented guy who dropped from view in magic. Charlie's later career is part of magic's history.

It was always a great pleasure to spend time with Charles and Regina at various gatherings, and always such good company they were. I always looked forward to our meetings. My heart, and a letter tomorrow, go out to Regina, his wife, helpmate, and buddy.

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » November 4th, 2010, 9:37 pm

what a shock.
i remember when he had his stroke a few years back.
but didn't know he was in ill health.

whenever charlie's name came up dad always said,
he was editor of popular photography (i think).

i used to talk to charlie on the weekend ever so
often when i was working on some music from
blackstone, jr.'s show that i had.

the last time we saw him was i think was at the MCA
weekend honoring the Blackstone's.

i don't remember taking the photos, but i had
it in my collection with he, marion trikosko and
dad.

A fine photo of three great men of history smiling
and having a good time.
http://pics.livejournal.com/mai_ling/pic/000zwz7c/

my sympathy goes out to his family.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 5th, 2010, 6:46 am

Charles had been diagnosed with liver cancer within the past half year. He refused treatment knowing that it probably would have failed and made him feel even worse for the remaining months of his life.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 5th, 2010, 7:13 am

I spent many hours with Charles at various conventions. He was a wonderful person.

David Charvet

Postby David Charvet » November 5th, 2010, 10:05 am

Charles was a great friend and kind man who was always willing to contribute to any of my projects. We knew each other for 30 years and I had the pleasure of interviewing him for that "other" magazine a few years ago. His opinions of magic and the staging of it in theaters an on television was always spot-on.

I hope he has now found the perfect martini (one of his lifelong quests.)
Rest in peace.

Bob Cassidy

Postby Bob Cassidy » November 5th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Charles was an old friend and mentor and I deeply mourn his passing. His passing leaves a void that cannot be filled. My deepest sympathies to Regina.

Requeisat In Pace

Bob Cassidy
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.-Criswell

Bob Baker

Postby Bob Baker » November 6th, 2010, 11:12 am

As a fellow member of The Thirteen, I learned a huge amount from Charles. His wealth of knowledge and legion of friends were unsurpassed. As were his kindness and generosity.

Bob

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » November 6th, 2010, 11:39 am

Difficult for me to talk or type. I've lost a very close friend, dinner companion, and all. Condolences to Regina, of course. Harry Lorayne.

Geoffrey Durham

Postby Geoffrey Durham » November 6th, 2010, 11:55 am

Charles was not only a great magician. He was an astute and understanding confidant who really grasped what it means to be a performer.There was never a more knowledgeable or thoughtful adviser to magicians. I am grateful to have known him.

David Linsell

Postby David Linsell » November 8th, 2010, 9:00 am

Charles's obituary is in today's New York Times. Here is the link . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/08/arts/ ... obituaries

Return to “Buzz”