The Magicians come to BBC One on Saturday nights

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

The Magicians come to BBC One on Saturday nights

Postby Q. Kumber » September 21st, 2010, 5:12 am

From the BBC Press Office:

It was announced today that BBC One will put magic back on Saturday nights for the first time in nearly two decades* and at a scale never seen before, with the commission of a new entertainment spectacular from Shine TV.

The Magicians sees three of the magic world's most currently successful practitioners, both critically and at the box office, do battle for across five weeks in early 2011 in the world of magic's first competitive competition on UK screens.

Against the stunning backdrop of a specially-created set on Pinewood Studios, each Magician will perform with a different celebrity partner each week; with the three pairs performing illusions from the classic to the never-attempted-before and adapting their respective roles as the challenge or trick dictates.

The Magicians will be pushed to excel beyond their own favoured speciality, be it escapology, illusion or sleight of hand card tricks, as the tournament will throw weekly challenges and themes designed to best test the competitors' originality, ingenuity and ambition with many large scale stunts set to be attempted.

Just as audiences in theatres have shown their approval or otherwise for the art of illusion through the centuries, only the studio audience will determine which magician is victorious each week and ultimately triumphs across the weeks.

There are no judges and no phone lines. The same three magicians battle each week those that amaze the audience most will win, whereas the pair that receive the least applause will be asked to close the show with an uncomfortable, dangerous or impossible forfeit of a trick that no-one will want to tackle.

Commissioned by BBC Controller of Entertainment Commissioning, Mark Linsey, The Magicians will be produced by Shine TV, makers of BBC One hits Merlin and MasterChef, and executive produced by Karen Smith, joint Managing Director of Shine TV, and launch producer of Strictly Come Dancing.

Host and further format details will be revealed at a later date.

In addition, viewers at home will be able to both enjoy and learn interactively via a series of exclusive tricks and step-by-step guides to give budding magicians an introduction to the art .

Mark Linsey said: "The Magicians is a bold, big scale entertainment show that will bring the best of the latest crop of amazing illusionists to a wide audience for the first time, in a head-to-head contest. It is family viewing at its best and we're delighted to be bringing it to the BBC and to Saturday nights."

Karen Smith said: "The Magicians will astound, amaze and amuse. It will look like nothing seen before it, a truly spectacular Spectacular."

* The Paul Daniels Magic Show ran on BBC One from 1988 to 1994.

mrgoat

Re: The Magicians come to BBC One on Saturday nights

Postby mrgoat » September 21st, 2010, 6:33 am

I rejoice at having magic on the telly, but

"it will look like nothing seen before"

Sounds exactly the same as celebracadabra or whatever that show filmed at the Castle was called.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 21st, 2010, 9:11 am

No, it doesn't sound "exactly like it" because there are no judges. That makes it an entirely different thing.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 21st, 2010, 9:18 am

Merlin series three has started. Morgana's looking dangerous - might even win. Unless Merlin can get that dragon back on his side or something - it's gonna be a tough run.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » September 21st, 2010, 10:10 am

"A different celebrity partner each week" sounds like they're handicaping each performer with unnecessary weight.

Part of our celebrity-drenched culture, they just can't see their way to produce a show where the personas of the performers just might carry the show. Paul did well for years as has Derren Brown.

It takes a long time to perfect the presentation of magic. These guys are going to do it in days or weeks?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 21st, 2010, 12:20 pm

David, maybe they're allowed to duct tape the celebrity to a chair, or use them as a committee for tricks, give them a handicam and offer Celeb-cam view for the audience? Let them interview the assistants just before and after the magic happens?

How about sawing two celebs in half and the audience votes which one gets reassembled?
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on September 21st, 2010, 12:23 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: portions of this post were prerecorded

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » September 21st, 2010, 12:25 pm

I was watching an Inspector Lewis Mystery on PBS Sunday night. As the suspects were waiting, bored, to be interviewed by the police, one began doing those cool flippy floppy cuts with a deck of cards. No mention of this on the show, just a few seconds of something to look at. I failed to catch a name in the credits.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » September 21st, 2010, 5:56 pm

I just heard from Quentin that he is guesting on BBC Radio 5's Tony Livesey show to talk about this tonight. In fact he is scheduled to appear at 11 30 pm local time which is in 35 minutes at the time of writing.

Not sure whether the BBC iPlayer works in your country but in Ireland I can pick it up.

Here is the link to the live stream

Brendan
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » September 22nd, 2010, 7:36 am

I managed to grab Quentin's spot from BBC Radio 5 listen at http://bit.ly/9hHvQf
Brendan

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 27th, 2010, 3:57 pm

More on this from MagicWeek.co.uk:

Actor and comedian Lenny Henry is to host The Magicians, BBC One's new Saturday night entertainment spectacular which will start airing in January next year. US sleight of hand artist Chris Korn, master Portuguese illusionist Luis de Matos, and innovative UK magicians Barry and Stuart will represent the face of contemporary magic against the stunning backdrop of a specially created set at Pinewood Studios. Each magician will perform with a different guest partner each week, with the three pairs performing magic from the classic to the never-attempted-before. Guests include N-Dubz, Ashley Banjo, Chris Tarrant, Rolf Harris, Samantha Womack, Bruno Tonioli, Adrian Edmondson, Peter Jones, Amanda Byram, Sian Williams, Angela Griffin, Martin Kemp, Neil Morrissey and Stephen K Amos.

Lenny Henry said he was extremely excited about the project. "l love magic and the thing about me is that I don't want to know how it's done. You know the bloke with his jaw on the floor throughout most of the show? That will be me!" Magic duo Barry and Stuart said: "The Magicians is the biggest and most ambitious show that we have ever been a part of. We're going to bring the viewers of BBC One some inventive, devious and jaw-dropping new magic that they will have never seen before. As we will be battling with one of America's finest sleight of hand artists, Chris Korn, and Europe's number one illusionist, Luis De Matos, we really have our work cut out!"

Grand illusionist Luis de Matos said: "It was a real surprise when the BBC asked me to participate in the show. It's going to be a joy working with the celebrity guests, but performing magic will be a real challenge for them as it takes a lot of practice, rehearsal and dedication. I believe it will be a really spectacular and contemporary show. Everybody is giving their best and the excitement level is really high."

BBC Controller of Entertainment Commissioning, Mark Linsey, commented: "I'm delighted to be bringing something astonishing and different to BBC One audiences on Saturday nights through winter. Everyone needs a bit of magic in January." And joint Managing Director of Shine TV, Karen Smith, said: "We have assembled three remarkable, internationally respected acts who will astound and amaze the audience and a host whose enthusiasm for the show is infectious. It will be magic like never seen before on TV, huge in scale and a true spectacular."

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » November 28th, 2010, 12:05 am

I heart Lenny Henry... and his (now ex-wife) Dawn French!
[I just read about the latter... so sad! :( ]
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » November 28th, 2010, 10:28 am

I also posted this here on the 26th. Celebracadabra redo?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 28th, 2010, 10:58 am

There are NO judges.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 28th, 2010, 11:07 am

Plus, the series is not on a cable channel, but BBC1: the most-watched channel in the UK.

The host is one of the most famous comedians in the UK.

It's more comparable to a show being hosted by Tina Fey on CBS.

AJM

Postby AJM » November 28th, 2010, 12:26 pm

I wouldn't compare Lenny Henry to Tina Fey.

While it's true Lenny Henry is one of the UK's most famous comedians, that's probably mainly because: -
- he's been on TV here since he was a teenager
- his involvement with the Comic Relief charity telethons which take place here every two years.
- he once starred in a Hollywood movie (True Identity anyone?...no didn't think so)

Other than that he's widely regarded here as unfunny, maybe a wee bit 'old fashioned' and certainly without the 'edge' of the newer breed of comics.
He's certainly 'family friendly', however in my opinion you either love him hate him.

He's certainly not in the 'A list' of popular UK presenters - I would have thought magician/presenter Stephen Mulhearn would have been a better choice.

Anyway, nice to see magic back on the telly.

Cheers

Andrew

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 28th, 2010, 12:38 pm

Nope, Steven doesn't have _nearly_ the profile of Lenny Henry.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 28th, 2010, 12:46 pm

NB Tina Fey is popular, funny and talented. Lenny Henry was funny 20 years ago. Now is just the BBC's Token. IMHO.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 28th, 2010, 1:53 pm

True, but he's recognisable to pretty much everyone in the country, which helps to give the show exposure.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 28th, 2010, 2:19 pm

My experience with Lenny Henry extends to his TV show "Chef," which was extremely funny. I heard he was also well received as Othello in the West End this year.

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » November 28th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Yeah Chef is probably what he best known
for in the US besides being the Vicar of Dibley's
ex-husband.

He's absolutely insane on Chef!
you will remember my name

http://www.mai-ling.net

world's youngest illusionista

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » November 29th, 2010, 11:50 am

Lenny Henry was on Loose Women (the UK's version of The View) earlier today. Presumably to plug the new show.

I can't find the clip on their website yet and the clips that are there aren't viewable to me here in Ireland. But the following link may be of interest to those of you in the UK.

http://www.itv.com/lifestyle/loosewomen

Brendan
Brendan

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 23rd, 2010, 10:38 am

fluffycushion

Postby fluffycushion » December 28th, 2010, 7:40 pm

I was in the audience for the second of these shows and I have to say it was fantastic! We don't see a lot of proper Saturday night entertainment anymore and this is a complete breath of fresh air. You can't possibly judge it until you've seen it can you? I have, so I'm in a much better position to judge than you. It hasn't even aired yet so how do you know what you are talking about?

Richard Stokes

Postby Richard Stokes » January 1st, 2011, 6:44 pm

Did you watch the program tonight? I was disappointed.
The opening torch troupe number was uninspiring.
And Lenny Henry throughout the show seemed strait-jacketed by the autocue.
Diversity, the politically correct dance group, won the' Britain Has No Talent' show a couple of years ago, but I wish they could be sealed permanently in cardboard boxes.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love Bruno (and that other looney judge Craig) from the 'Strictly Come Dancing' panel and I like the BBC breakfast woman Sian Williams, but this Magicians show seemed messy.

John Archer

Postby John Archer » January 1st, 2011, 8:03 pm

Reading between the lines I think there were some non magical TV execs at the top over-ruling some of the magical input from other areas. Hence it was at times badly shot or edited. A Million Dollar Mystery style effect had a lot of the mystery removed because we were kept on a front shot for virtually the whole of the routine. Others routines were to long and could easily have been edited down without losing any of the effect. Unfortunately the celebs did seem to get in the way a lot too. Not all bad but it missed the mark a lot of the time. Still early days though I guess? Bravo to Paul Wilson and Alexis Conran for getting magic rolling back on UK TV screens again. We can all criticise but making TV isn't an easy job and just getting a commission these days is an achievement.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » January 1st, 2011, 10:29 pm

Taking the actual magic and magicians aside, I thought the concept, production, editing and execution was really amateurish and lack lustre. It had all the appeal of some really naff 1970's school production. It was leagues behind the last really good British TV magic show; Stuff The White Rabbit - and that was nearly 20 years ago.

All the reviews and comments I've read since last night have been shocking. I agree. It was.

PG
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Frank Quiroz

Postby Frank Quiroz » January 2nd, 2011, 12:11 am

This sounds awesome! Is there a way to watch this in the US? Or online perhaps???
Frank Quiroz

Richard Stokes

Postby Richard Stokes » January 2nd, 2011, 8:52 am

I quite liked the show with John Lenehan about 5 years ago when the celebrity guests and the audience try to work out the secret to a magic trick. The correct solution is then given. But there is more...The magicians somehow come up with an even cleverer way of performing the trick - which cannot be based on the method that has just been revealed.
I think this series was axed after the pilot episodes flopped.
A pity, as I thought it was a promising format.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 2nd, 2011, 9:19 am

No, it wasn't. It was [censored].

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » January 3rd, 2011, 3:09 am

I have to agree with Ian on that one

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 3rd, 2011, 6:01 am

I didn't know BBC1 was broadcast in Australia. Cool. Glad you got to see it, Tim. So we send you our prisoners and [censored] tv shows too!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 3rd, 2011, 6:41 am

I was referring to the 'Guess the Method' show that was on in 2003.

Ian

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 3rd, 2011, 8:48 am

The Magicians on BBC1 easily won in the ratings and drew 6.5 million viewers.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 3rd, 2011, 9:06 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:The Magicians on BBC1 easily won in the ratings and drew 6.5 million viewers.

And it was competing with?

BBC2 - Dad's Army (40 year old sit com repeats)
ITV - Primeval (Bad series)
C4 - Independence Day (again)
5 - CSI Miami

Come on, pretty much ANYTHING would win against that line up.

I wager next week, when it isn't New Year's Day it will not get as high.

Search twitter for #themagicians so guage the public's opinion:

I'm watching #themagicians on iplayer. Not looking good. Shame really as I love magic.

What is up with #themagicians? A great idea spoilt by introducing so called celebs to the show

I'm disapppointed as I wanted #themagicians to work. If you want to see how it should be done: http://youtu.be/tj1z0bOm5_g

Also felt Lenny Henry wasn't the right host: but then is a host needed? Forfeit element is silly too. Just show the tricks! #themagicians

#themagicians Why is Lenny Henry still working in showbiz? I want to throw things at the telly whenever he is on.

Watched 2 shows on TV tonight, #fatherted and #themagicians...one a classic, the other should just disappear...as it has from my V+ planner

Think the Beeb failed to pull a rabbit out the hat with #TheMagicians. It was pants. When was the last time Lenny Henry made anyone laugh?

#themagicians reminded me of a holiday to Pontins hosted by a talking (but not funny) squid #letdown

Not impressed by The Magicians on BBC1, very tacky old school magic c*** (not the best). Real shame

Someone tell BBC that dancing isnt magic.. #themagicians

wow what a pointless programme.. #themagicians

@bbcmagicians #themagicians was lame, you need to improve the format or I don't think you'll make it to ep5

I honestly thought I could watch any magic show. Then I saw the first five minutes of #themagicians.

#themagicians ...WHAT IS THIS SH*T?!!!!

#TheMagicians has conjured me a spell of disillusion with the BBC's choice of primetime television.

and my fave:

THERE BETTER BE A POINT TO THIS BULLF**KERY. #TheMagicians

--

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted it to be good, despite the dreadful concept. But it really wasn't.
Last edited by mrgoat on January 4th, 2011, 1:56 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Foul Language Removed.

AJM

Postby AJM » January 3rd, 2011, 10:43 am

Yes, I was looking forward to this show too but I'm afraid it missed the mark - by a rather wide margin.

Pinning my hopes now on P&T's 'Fool Me' this Friday, however I have to admit that the premise / format of the show doesn't fill me with confidence.

Prove me wrong boys...

Cheers

Andrew

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » January 3rd, 2011, 2:04 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The Magicians on BBC1 easily won in the ratings and drew 6.5 million viewers.

But the "competition" was pretty naff! Mostly poor repeats of poor shows.

In the "good old" days when I was a teenager (the 70's), a hit TV show in the UK would get 20 million (or so) viewers. My bet is that "Magicians" will eventually plummet to about 47 viewers :)

PG
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 3rd, 2011, 2:59 pm

Paul,

In the 70s there were barely three channels. These days there are umpteen million. _No_ shows get 20 million viewers anymore (even [censored] like the 'X stars of tomorrow's chip wrappers' final).

The opposition to the Magicians was spread over the aforesaid umpteen million channels (and prolly closer to fifteen or twenty popular ones). Six and a half million is good by anyone's standards in the 21st Century.

Let's not forget that every magician in the country has a fully formed and rehearsed format for the best magic show in the world (starring, naturally, me) and any deviation from that is going to be dissappointing.

Ian

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » January 3rd, 2011, 3:31 pm

I'm just glad to see magic on TV and the quality of the magic is good and baffling for the lay audience. Million dollar mystery.... Crystal sawing ....etc...

However, I hope the producers listen more to the Magicians on the show. Barry and Stuart have a good understanding of the TV audience of today and Luis does analyse his own shows to the millisecond and will know what worked well and what did not. He is a class act.
Best John

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 3rd, 2011, 4:21 pm

Can't use the future tense - all the episodes are finished.

Return to “Buzz”