Friday The 13th Scam

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Kevin Connolly

Friday The 13th Scam

Postby Kevin Connolly » August 13th, 2010, 10:06 am

I just received this scam in my email. It is supposedly from my daughter's soccer coach. Remember, this a scam. Someone broke in to their emaill account. Here is the initial email, my rely and their reply. Don't people have better things to do with their lives? Please feel free to delete if this not the right place for this post.

Title of Email : Very Sad News!!

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my

fam and I came down here to Scotland,United Kingdom for a short vacation unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.

We've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves in less than 8hrs from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills,i'm freaked out at the moment.

N....

My Reply:

N....,

So sorry to hear about your situation. If there is something we can do, please let us know.

Kevin.......

Their reply to similar email account:

I'm so glad you replied back, have nothing left on us right now and we are very lucky to have our Life and passport with us it would have been worst if they had made away with our passports. Well i need a quick favor from you,, I was wondering if you can lend me $2,820, so that we can sort the hotel bills and get a cab to the Airport,,, you can have it wired to my name via Western Union I'll have to show my passport as ID to pick it up here, you have my word and i can make it up to you, I promise to pay you back as soon as I get back home.
Here's my info below
Name: N.... B.....
Location...47 Richard Rd, Scotland
Island, NSW 2105
UNITED KINGDOM
You have it wired to my name via western union agent because the hotel CC machine is faulty. As soon as it has been done, kindly get back to me with the MTCN confirmation number I owe you a Lot
N.....

So be careful on the Friday the 13th. I almost bit and sent the money. Luckily my wife said call them first. My tip-off was to only use Western Union.

Again, feel free to delete this for whatever reason I did the wrong thing.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Brad Henderson

Re: Friday The 13th Scam

Postby Brad Henderson » August 13th, 2010, 10:52 am

The timing on this is coincidental. I received this same email from a friend about a week ago.

I knew it was a scam because of the phrase came 'down here' and they listed some obscure English town, the person I got it from could never afford such a trip, and hotels preauthorize cards for bills and there would be no problem paying the tab.

But I will admit, on first reading it did make me worry.

Doc

Postby Doc » August 13th, 2010, 10:57 am

Dear KC,
I was mugged in the parking lot of a local liquor store and my cash and credit cards were stolen.

I am in desperate of $350 for two 750 ml bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue Label for my sick cousin.

If you could wire this amount to me ASAP I will repay you when my brother gets home.

My brother is currently pulling a dime in Rahway for selling counterfeit EZ-Passes to the Ben Franklin Bridge on the internet. :cry:

Thank you

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » August 13th, 2010, 11:02 am

Doc(?) - That's the difference. The the other person was my friend. :whistle: I'd help you out, but I just bought in on a 30 million lottery ticket for 5K. As soon as I get the money, I'll send you case of Johnnie Walker. :grin:

Brad - The Friduay the 13th was just the hook. ;)
Please visit my website.

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » August 13th, 2010, 11:43 am

I'm still waiting for a $3M check to be transferred from the king of Zimbabwe's barrister, who I carefully agreed to allow to use my personal bank account. As soon as that comes in, I can forward the money to Western Union for your friends stuck "down in Scotland."
- DO

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » August 13th, 2010, 11:57 am

David Oliver wrote:I'm still waiting for a $3M check to be transferred from the king of Zimbabwe's barrister, who I carefully agreed to allow to use my personal bank account. As soon as that comes in, I can forward the money to Western Union for your friends stuck "down in Scotland."

I can loan it to you as soon as my $40 Mil check from the Nigerian Petroleum Company hits my account.

Raleigh

Postby Raleigh » August 13th, 2010, 12:33 pm

Wow ..... I guess these scam artist are the dumb ones ...... I receive at least 5 or 6 million dollars every day in my spam email folder ..... I am a very lucky man !

Seuss

Postby Seuss » August 13th, 2010, 1:31 pm

No offense meant Kevin, but I think you had a bit of a gullible moment to even reply to this.

FYI for everyone... google is your friend. Got an odd email from a friend? Google a snippet.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cell+wer ... ts+with+us
Genii Lifetime Subscriber
Co-host Magic On the Side

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » August 13th, 2010, 2:16 pm

Seuss, no offense taken. Seeing your avatar and previous posts, you are a font of wisdom.

Please don't confuse compassion with gullibility. :/
Please visit my website.

Ray Chelt

Postby Ray Chelt » August 29th, 2010, 4:58 pm

I take it your Soccer coaches first language isn't English.

Also you'd have to be going some to go down to Scotland.

Kudos for the compassion but these things have been around for years now...I find it hard to believe folk with internet access can fall for them.

The other thing is never to reply to these things, even in jest, it just provokes a more focussed attention on you.

Ignore !

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 29th, 2010, 6:55 pm

I never get any of these scam emails, but my censored would circle the globe if I even read all the emails about lengthening it that cascade into my inbox.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » August 29th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Wow! Even if you just READ them! ;)

I've gotta stop deleting those things, they're more powerful than I thought!!

John Wilson

Postby John Wilson » August 30th, 2010, 12:50 am

You guys have been to 419 eater haven't you?

Return to “Buzz”