Is Magic A "Red Flag" When You're Dating?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 25th, 2010, 10:10 pm

MSN.com says that it is: http://bit.ly/MagicRedFlag

Chris Aguilar

Re: Is Magic A "Red Flag" When You're Dating?

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 25th, 2010, 10:53 pm

From the pages of "Glamour" magazine...

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » July 25th, 2010, 11:36 pm

I never found that magic was a negative when I was dating. If anything, just the opposite.

Those who've been around Docc Hilford know that it can be used as a form of catnip for women.

However, if you're poorly socialized and lack social skills then there's little that will save you except Steve Martin's wonderful opening line, "Yeah, I make a lot of money."

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » July 26th, 2010, 9:09 am

Only on Official Nude Magic Day.

T. Baxter

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » July 26th, 2010, 10:58 am

i don't think they mean stay away becauset you enjoy doing
magic or clowning... as a hobby.

its when you do it as a full-time job because
its not a "normal day to day" job security...

and honestly people in the show business world
are a bit strange because they have nothing
holding them back. and normal people in the world
don't see that on a day to day basis.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 26th, 2010, 11:28 am

I honestly believe every serious relationship I've had started with a magic trick in some way.

And many many non serious ones too.

I owe my Uncle a lot for getting me into this magic malarky!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 26th, 2010, 11:29 am

mai-ling your avatar is not showing up. I think you typoed the URL?

http://mai-ling.net/imagess/genii-avatar.gif

imagess?

Terrence

Postby Terrence » July 26th, 2010, 1:34 pm

Agree especially with D Alexander and Mr. Goat.

Speaking anthropologically (whew), dating is a big part of the human mating ritual, and many of us know the joke "What's the difference between a Magician and a pizza"...("A pizza can feed a family of four")

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » July 26th, 2010, 2:01 pm

David Alexander wrote:I never found that magic was a negative when I was dating. If anything, just the opposite.

Ditto

My wife is a smokin' hot blonde who is ten years younger than me.
She is also a stay at home mom who puts Martha Stewart to shame in the kitchen and, if making comfort food were a religion, she would be its main deity.
She is much nicer than I will ever be.

I, on the other hand, am a semi-grouchy, chubby middle-aged guy who does magic for a living and feeds a family of six. (well, one is out of the house, so five ... but I do eat a lot ... make it six)

But if I were single I would still like the original article, as it would serve to screen out airheads from my available dating pool.

DD

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » July 26th, 2010, 2:42 pm

mrgoat wrote:mai-ling your avatar is not showing up. I think you typoed the URL?

http://mai-ling.net/imagess/genii-avatar.gif

imagess?

yeah i know, i've got to alter that.
because my host dispanded and i had no site
for a while and i've moved servers changed
things around and i haven't gotten around to
actually uploading a bunch of stuff to the server.

including my avatar...

new one coming ...it will hypnotize you.
you will remember my name

http://www.mai-ling.net

world's youngest illusionista

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 26th, 2010, 4:36 pm

Here's a link to the original story from Glamour magazine as well as a screen capture of the same:

Link:http://bit.ly/MagicGlam

Image:

And to support Doc Dixon's statement, my amazing wife still loves magic after all these years and can be found at www.TaylorVickers.com

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » July 26th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Magic Newswire wrote:
And to support Doc Dixon's statement, my amazing wife still loves magic after all these years and can be found at www.TaylorVickers.com

I concur, Dodd, but are YOU a "a semi-grouchy, chubby middle-aged guy?"
That's the part that takes the real skill :grin:

Doc

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » July 26th, 2010, 5:47 pm

While a few attachments were instigated through magic (never underestimate the pulling power of a balloon flower), on our first outing my wife asked me what I did for a living. When I said magician, her response was 'what the hell kind of a job is that?'

It was uphill from there.

Ian

Dan Wolfe

Postby Dan Wolfe » July 26th, 2010, 6:20 pm

When we met, my Wife had no problem with my being a Magician.

..it was actually more of a stumbling block with my future In-Laws.

<<Insert tired old joke about broke Magicians here>>
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SMMagic.com

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » July 26th, 2010, 7:45 pm

I would say YES!

Even when my Mom and my wife married a magician. My three sisters all thought magic was great - but magicians were warped, strange, egotistical and most of them did not make enough money.

I would not like my daughter to marry a magician or even date one - however I would not like her to date - until she gets at least to the age of 60.

I told here once if she marries a magician after I am gone I would come back and haunt the homestead.

Cheers!

SteveP

Postby SteveP » July 26th, 2010, 8:41 pm

My ex-wife was a dancer and met me when I was working for Copperfield. She was in another show, but obviously in the business. So being a magician wasn't an issue, especially since I was making good money.

Now here's my "how Genii Magazine introduced me to my current wife" story. No kidding.

My wife has always loved magic and was a huge Copperfield fan. She has never wanted to perform, but was fascinated by the art. She subscribed to Genii and back then there were free classified ads. She was looking to buy Copperfield memorabilia. I wrote her, although I didn't know who I was writing to because she only put her initials in the ad.

At the time I was living in Vegas and working for Blackstone. She lived in the St. Louis area, but didn't put St. Louis as the city. I let her know what Copperfield posters I had and that it may take me a couple of weeks to respond because I was getting ready to go on the road with Blackstone.

By coincidence, we were coming to St. Louis for a week at the Fox Theater. During the load-in I was told I had a call. I didn't answer the phone because I thought it was some of the other guys in the show playing a joke on me. No one outside of the Blackstone show knew I was going to be in St. Louis. I was on the road so much back then, family and friends didn't need an itinerary. Turns out it was my future wife. I almost lost her right there!

They took a message and then it clicked as to who this was, so I called her and she told me she was coming to one of the shows. I put her name on a list and told her where to meet me backstage and that was it. We struck up a friendship and 8 years later got married. We've been friends for 20 years and married for 12 years.

So I have Genii Magazine, David Copperfield and Harry Blackstone to thank for my happy marriage.

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » July 27th, 2010, 5:26 am

This is a link to a classic moment in British TV. The topic-related question comes at about 50 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj-9lSEBBm0

Scotto

Postby Scotto » July 27th, 2010, 12:23 pm

I met my fiance at The Magic Castle, We got engaged at the L.A. Magic History Conference (On Stage) We will be wed, OK not someplace that has to do with Magic, but 2 out of 3.
No red flag there.
Magically

Scotto

This email is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty, and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » July 27th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Great story, Steve!

Joe

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 27th, 2010, 3:09 pm

Doc Dixon wrote:I concur, Dodd, but are YOU a "a semi-grouchy, chubby middle-aged guy?"
That's the part that takes the real skill :grin:
Doc

Sad but true. :-( Though I'm not all that grouchy.

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » July 27th, 2010, 6:39 pm

"There has always been something grimy about magic. Even at its very best, it is a long con. Magic is based on tricks and secrecy, so traditionally, only pathetic, lonely people ever want to lie that much to get attention. Magicians are historically a sorry-assed lot, who keep company with flame-retardant midgets and frog-swallowers." Cintra Wilson

I have to say that frog-swallowers are some of the most fun people you'll ever hang out with.

brian :cool:

Kamal

Postby Kamal » July 27th, 2010, 9:20 pm

I love my job, but the word "magician" would never come up within the first few dates, let alone use magic as some sort of pick-up tool. Egads! Put down the f-ing cards.

Unfortunately, the word "magician" conjures up (pardon the pun) too many negative stereotypes. You know what they say about first impressions - and I'd rather not take the chance that "magician" was taken the wrong way.

To prove my point, how easily could "dancer" be mistaken for "stripper" - or "lawyer" be taken as "scum-bag".

Again, I'm not ashamed of what I do, I'm just careful in managing potential partners perceptions of what I do.

I'm an entertainer - magic is just one tool that I use as a means to that end.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 28th, 2010, 12:09 am

Magic Newswire wrote:MSN.com says that it is: http://bit.ly/MagicRedFlag

Most simply - she should want you around why?

It's not that you're a fan of magic per-se but that you're sharing something that is not so easy to understand or relate to that's the turn-off.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » July 28th, 2010, 1:12 am

Brian Morton wrote:"There has always been something grimy about magic. Even at its very best, it is a long con. Magic is based on tricks and secrecy, so traditionally, only pathetic, lonely people ever want to lie that much to get attention. Magicians are historically a sorry-assed lot, who keep company with flame-retardant midgets and frog-swallowers." Cintra Wilson

I have to say that frog-swallowers are some of the most fun people you'll ever hang out with.

It should be remembered that the comment Brian quoted came from a frustrated puppeteer who created "Winter Steele" for Liquid Television and continues on her search for relevance in a world that largely ignores her.

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » July 28th, 2010, 9:38 am

David Alexander wrote:
It should be remembered that the comment Brian quoted came from a frustrated puppeteer who created "Winter Steele" for Liquid Television and continues on her search for relevance in a world that largely ignores her.

Forget about magic, is there anything creepier than a puppeteer?
Hand puppets? Sticking your hand up the butt of a doll.
Marionettes? Performing hunched over, unseen, just creepy, hoping your "dolls" come to life, like Geppetto.
Vents? Just ask Ann-Margaret.

Grown men playing with dolls ... as distinguished from the dozens of "action figures" that populate my office :grin: ... disturbing.

DD

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » July 28th, 2010, 12:42 pm

David Alexander wrote:It should be remembered that the comment Brian quoted came from a frustrated puppeteer who created "Winter Steele" for Liquid Television and continues on her search for relevance in a world that largely ignores her.

David,

It's true that Cintra Wilson is a bitter, bleached-blonde, high-school dropout with a chip on her shoulder (especially against magicians) the side of the Antarctic ice shelf. But you have to revel in the malice of your enemies. To paraphrase FDR, "I welcome her hatred."

If someone as joyless as she hates magic that venomously, I'm more than happy to shout it from the rooftops. Which is why I love that quote so much. :)

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » July 28th, 2010, 4:28 pm

Brian,

Nicely said.

David

Return to “Buzz”