Bob Fitch 2010 Magician of the Year!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Eric DeCamps

Bob Fitch 2010 Magician of the Year!

Postby Eric DeCamps » March 26th, 2010, 7:23 am

[font:Book Antiqua][size:14pt]
It is with great pride that the Parent Assembly of the Society of American Magicians announces that Bob Fitch has been elected as the 2010 Magician of the Year.

In his lengthy professional career Bob Fitch has been an actor, director, singer, dancer and magician. He has been featured in 27 Broadway Shows, including, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum with Whoopi Goldberg, and The Will Rogers Follies. He received Broadway's Burns-Mantle Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical for his villainous portrayal of Rooster Hannigan in the original Annie.

In films, he appeared in Stephen King's, Thinner and with Steve Martin in, Pennies from Heaven. His direction received a MAC Award (NY Cabaret) for Jeff McBride's, Mask, Myth, And Magic.

He has coached performers such as David Copperfield and Jeff McBride and has consulted for NBCsPhenomenon, as well as for Alain Nu's four one-hour Discovery Channel specials, The Mysterious World of Alain Nu.

He has directed full evening shows for Thomas Solomon (Elusions), Jeff McBride and Eugene Burger (Atlantic City) and one man shows for Paul Gertner (Ten Fingers) and Eric DeCamps (Pure Magic).

In 2008 the Academy of Magical Arts (The Magic Castle) presented Mr. Fitch with a Lifetime Fellowship Award for his achievements and contributions to the art of magic.

On Saturday May 1, 2010, Bob Fitch will be honored as Magician of the Year at the 101st Edition of the Salute to Magic to be held at the Axis Theatre (1 Sheridan Square) in New York City.

This years Salute to Magic will feature Paul Gertners acclaimed one-man show, Ten Fingers - A Play of Magic. There will be two performances a 3:00pm matinee and a 7:00pm evening. Tickets will go one sale to the general public starting April 1, 2010. To purchase tickets and get more information about the 2010 Salute to Magic, please call 212 725 5258.

Seating is VERY limited and we expect a sell out. You do not want to miss this show so do not forget to order your tickets on April 1, 2010!

[/size][/font]

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: Bob Fitch 2010 Magician of the Year!

Postby NCMarsh » March 26th, 2010, 5:49 pm

!!!!!!!

What a well-deserved choice! Bob is a treasure to this community!

Mark Phillips
Favorite Magician: Mac King

Postby Mark Phillips » March 29th, 2010, 8:02 pm

I was very pleased to hear that Bob Fitch has been given this honor from the Parent Assembly. It is a sad truth that a prophet often goes unrecognized in his own back yard; I'm glad to see Bob receive accolades that are both significant and local to him. While Bob's skills and career as a performer are truly admirable, it is his ability as a teacher that has changed the lives of many magicians. No one else has reached the highest levels of entertainment and show business success that is so willing and able to share the techniques and teach the skills that exist at the pinnacle of performing. Bob both studied with, and worked alongside countless legends of Broadway. While many magicians are satisfied to compare themselves favorably to others in our small field, Bob eagerly and joyously teaches the truly ambitious; those who want to be compared with the stars of mainstream show business. Why else would so many FISM winners study with Bob AFTER they had won the top prize in magic? Why would Paul Gertner, Bill Malone, and Gene Anderson (to name a few) bring their signature effects to Bob in hopes of taking them to a higher level?
I honestly believe there is no one more capable of changing the entirely of magic for the better than Bob. Congratulations, and may your influence continue to improve magic for many years to come.
Go practice.

Shawn Farquhar

Postby Shawn Farquhar » March 29th, 2010, 11:52 pm

Congratulations to an amazing magician, teacher and man. For years I had heard the accolades but only recently had the opportunity to experience Bob Fitch's magic. I regret I will be unable to attend the event, but I have an appearance at the Canadian Association of Magicians convention. What a brilliant idea to have Paul Gertner present his outstanding show which demonstrates the influences of Bob's creative mind. I'm sure it will be a day to remember...

Cheers,

Shawn Farquhar
Shawn Farquhar

"if you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not getting the joke."

Margaret Steele

Postby Margaret Steele » March 30th, 2010, 3:33 pm

I'm so pleased that my great friend and incredible director Bob Fitch is receiving this honor. Nobody deserves it more! AND it's especially wonderful that it's happening at Paul Gertner's show. Bob worked closely with Paul on "Ten Fingers" - a collaboration that yielded awesome results. Can't wait to see it again on May 1st!

George Saterial

Postby George Saterial » March 30th, 2010, 5:19 pm

When I think of Bob Fitch, one word comes to mind...Passion. Bob brings passion to everything he does and his passion is contagious. As a director, he has the natural ability to bring out the best in other performers without compromising their own direction or vision. As a performer, his incredible skill and showmanship make him a joy to watch. As a friend, Bob is generous and caring.

I can think of no one else more deserving of this honor. Congratulations my friend!!

Arthur Trace

Postby Arthur Trace » March 30th, 2010, 11:27 pm

Congratulations Bob! I am so happy for you. I flew Bob out to Chicago when I was living there and we worked together for a week as he directed some new material I was working on. I know Im a better performer because of Bobs ability to bring out my strengths as an entertainer and a human being. Thank you for being a great director and a fantastic friend. Hopefully our paths will cross again soon.

Peter Samelson

Postby Peter Samelson » March 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Eric,
Congratulations! You have made a great choice. There are few people as talented and compassionate, as skilled as a performer and teacher, as innovative and imaginative as Bob Fitch. A most fitting way to kick off the next century for the Salute to Magic.
You can count on me to be there.

Peter Samelson

John Born

Postby John Born » March 31st, 2010, 1:08 pm

Congratulations Bob! Well deserved!

I have been a fan ever since our first introduction at the Kansas City IBM years ago. Thank you for your incredible contributions to magic...

John Born
www.JohnBorn.com
www.CheatingAtTexasHoldem.com

Rich Kameda

Postby Rich Kameda » March 31st, 2010, 5:59 pm

Congratulations Bob!

I was fortunate to take Bob's workshop this past January. It was money well spent. I learned so much during the workshop. Looking forward to taking the workshop again next year.

Bob's award is well deserved for his magic performances and contributions.

Omedetougozaimasu (Congratulations)!

Rich Kameda

DChung

Postby DChung » March 31st, 2010, 10:16 pm

This is great news, and Bob is certainly a worthy recipient. He's done a lot for magic. He's a great magician, director and friend.

Congratulations Bob.

bricurry

Postby bricurry » April 4th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Congratulations Bob!
He's a GREAT teacher, and fantastic guy. Bob helped me stop looking like other magicians, and start looking like myself onstage.
Thanks Bob!
Brian

Return to “Buzz”