Essential Magic Conference

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Re: Essential Magic Conference

Postby Magic Newswire » July 5th, 2010, 10:18 pm

We had a media preview of the EMC 2010 conference to get a feel for what it would be like. Here's a slideshow with a video to follow. Register now if you haven't at www.essentialmagicconference.com after watching There is another free event for registered attendees approaching very soon!
http://bit.ly/dqXvIj

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 12th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Just a quick heads up from the EMC:

At 15.00 EST (20.00 in UK and Portugal) on Monday, July 12th EssentialMagicConference.com will be giving a live broadcast from Studio 33. This is the venue for the Essential Magic Conference on July 15th, 16th and 17th.

We want to take this opportunity to give you a behind the scenes look at the conference venue and the technology we will be employing during the worlds first digital conference for magicians.

The broadcast will be delivered in three different video streams: HD, 1mb and 500kb which should enable everyone to watch no matter what their connection speed. The tour will take no more than 15 minutes of your time.

You will see for yourself the high quality video that will be broadcast during the conference. And you will have a chance to test the chat facility used to ask questions and receive answers from the Speakers during the event.

For those who have registered for the conference it is a chance to test your computer system and internet connection. For those who have been waiting for an insight into how the event will look, maybe this demonstration will convince you to join us. We hope so.

All you have to do is visit our website at 15.00 EST (20.00 in UK and Portugal) on July 12th. Well open a portal to our live broadcast. Our web address is www.essentialmagicconference.com.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » July 12th, 2010, 4:09 pm

I tried to watch it. It took me 10 minutes for the website to finally let me in and another 10 minutes to find the link to the broadcast.

By the time I got connected, I was only able to watch the final 2 minutes of the live broadcast. :(
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 13th, 2010, 12:09 am

Watch for another public preview, possibly on Wednesday, before the conference begins on Thursday.

How did it go today? Find out from Macro Tempest and Luis DeMatos as they join me, Rudy Coby, Cameron Ramsay and Justin from iTricks as we do a quick post op of todays open preview: http://bit.ly/cRmeII

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » July 13th, 2010, 2:10 am

Thanks for the update. I registered and am looking forward to it, even if most of the sessions I'll be watching after the fact due to work and other commitments. That said, I'm surprised they were only expecting 2,500 people for the test. Between the email blasts, Twitter promotion, announcements at Ellusionist and T11, iTricks and Magic Newswire pieces, they definitely got the word out.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 13th, 2010, 8:14 pm

There will be one more open preview tomorrow at 3 PM EST before the closed convention begins on Thursday. http://bit.ly/cRmeII

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 14th, 2010, 6:42 pm

The EMC did several unannounced broadcasts today. For anyone interested, have a peek here: http://bit.ly/9XDWfw

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 15th, 2010, 10:26 am

From the EMC Staff:

HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE ESSENTIAL MAGIC CONFERENCE

The Essential Magic Conference begins today!

Our first Session begins at 16.00 (8AM Pacific or 11 AM EST) Portugal time. Hosted by Lus de Matos, the session features Eric Mead, Ponta the Smith and Dani DaOrtiz.

You can join us at our old Web address but we also have a new live address which we think will make logging in even faster for many of you. Go to:

http://emcbroadcast.com/

(Our streams will be active starting at 15:15 for early arrivals)

See you later. And thanks again for joining us for this exciting event.

Best Wishes from Everyone at the EMC

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » July 15th, 2010, 1:50 pm

The EMC technology is, so far, working beautifully. This conference is really a breakthrough in magic lecture type of presentations. Perhaps in the future even the video will be interactive with viewers being able to add visual input to the presentations. Everyone involved should be congratulated. Hopefully, it has all turned a profit so that we might see more such events and be able to watch the technology evolve.
Jim

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 15th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Could this be the end of live magic conventions?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » July 15th, 2010, 2:36 pm

I don't think so at all. I have the EMC open on my desktop now. I caught Eric Mead and Ponta the Smith this morning, and then had to go out for a meeting. I'll probably be catching most of it on demand. It's a very cool thing, and I'm glad it's going well. If anything, I think it will stoke the demand for magic events of all kinds -- live and online.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » July 15th, 2010, 2:44 pm

I don't think it's going to end live magic conventions either. The interaction with other attendees is just not the same as at a live one yet.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 15th, 2010, 3:10 pm

I'm enjoying this very much thus far. Very thought provoking in many ways, and those guys have some serious chops. I also appreciate the fact that since there isn't pressure to sell things, the presenters seem more free to talk about ideas instead of just stuff to purchase. It's also refreshing not to only see more than just a bunch of trick explanations.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 15th, 2010, 3:21 pm

Just a thought, because the internet has been responsible for the end of so many physical things as they move to electronic or digital only services.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » July 15th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Could this be the end of live magic conventions?

It may be the end of some, but I doubt all. It is hard to predict the market's response. I am still surprised how popular cell phones are considering that their audio performance is far worse than standard landlines. I get the convenience/security issue - that's why I have one.

But, I listen to a lot of sports talk and general talk radio. Is it too much to ask for scheduled guests to use landlines so that the interviews and commentaries can be heard more clearly by the audience? We are talking radio here - the benefit of video isn't there to make up for poor audio.

But I digress. For me, magic is truly meant to be seen live. We watch it on TV or video because we love it so much and we just don't have the opportunity to see it in person regularly. (most of us) No matter how good some effect will be on screen, I know a well-performed trick done right in front me will be much more enjoyable. Disappearing elephants and the Statue of Liberty are grand, but the first time I saw the Pump Room Fantasy performed was a much more magical moment. It was impossible! Things on TV or video don't seem that impossible.

John

Jeremy Greystoke

Postby Jeremy Greystoke » July 15th, 2010, 7:31 pm

No, I don't think this marks the end of live magic conventions. The social factor is one of the most important elements and that's lacking with something online, even given online chat and the ability to share video/photos online.

The EMC is a great experiment and the first day really exceeded my expectations. The format has a Stan Allen et al Magic Live! Conference feel to it and in fact, there's a bit of overlap with some of the speakers and topics covered. It's been well worth the moderate investment so far, and we just wrapped up the first day.

If anything, Richard, it's made me a bit more anxious to head off to another magic convention to experience everything live and in person and to socialize directly. I'm curious to hear what the reactions of others are.

Kudos to all the people on screen and behind the scenes who are making this event possible. I do think this is just the beginning of a new form of magic conference, and I'm delighted to be able to see it all happen from the comfort of my home and my office cubicle.

Jeremy

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » July 15th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Anybody know how I can watch the Videos on Demand? I'm registered, and missed a few of the talks, but I can't seem to find them on the site.
Are they not up yet?

Thanks.
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Seuss

Postby Seuss » July 15th, 2010, 10:30 pm

Ruben,

I think someone said earlier that today's video would be up by end of tomorrow etc.
Genii Lifetime Subscriber
Co-host Magic On the Side

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » July 15th, 2010, 11:19 pm

Thank you, Seuss!
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » July 16th, 2010, 1:23 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Could this be the end of live magic conventions?

I'm guessing (hoping?) it will be the beginning of the end of overpriced, poorly organized magic conventions, live or digital. It has really raised the bar on expectations and the price to value ratio attached to such events. Why would one want to spend more to see less?
However, well organized, talent rich live events such as Magic Live or the Dan and Dave Buck's Magi-Con will likely only benefit from this, since it will help fuel demand for more such events, and there are things that can best be experienced live, such as the fellowship that those in Portugal for this event are currently enjoying! I thought the first day was spectacular (Mike Caveney's talk on the rip-off of Harbin's ZigZag was the stand-out presentation for me today. As one has grown to expect from him, it was thoroughly researched and superbly delivered. Bloom, Mead, DaOrtiz, Maven, Apollo Robbins et alia were also great, but I was distracted by other things and had to miss the last hour due to a conflict, so look forward to catching those in a second pass on the archived site.)

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » July 16th, 2010, 2:53 am

Luis has done a truly incredible job ... the infrastructure required technically to pull this off is amazing ... and I doubt could be replicated anywhere else.

It will be interesting to see whether traction happens post event with the video on demand feature ( ala the Youtube TED videos ) or whether the interactive online element in real-time proves to be the over-riding winner.

But to answer Richard's original question - nothing will ever take away from the real-life experience ...

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 16th, 2010, 11:21 am

I just got an email from the Castle saying they are going to be PUBLICLY SCREENING the EMC to anyone that shows up at the Hat and Hare.

Sorry, I think that's very bad form.

The passes to the show are REALLY cheap and the organisers should be financially supported.

This is the equivalent of a new Vernon DVD coming out and everyone just being allowed to watch it for free.

Or am I missing the bigger picture here?

:(

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 16th, 2010, 11:22 am

Goat, don't you think it's possible that the folks at The Magic Castle arranged this in advance with Luis and company?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 16th, 2010, 11:28 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Goat, don't you think it's possible that the folks at The Magic Castle arranged this in advance with Luis and company?

No. Because at the bottom of the mail it says "Brent Geris of The Magic Apple has donated a registration for the Internet connection to EMC 2010 for AMA members."

I'd love to be corrected though. But the above seems to suggest to me that the hat and hare will be full of magicians not paying the very low fee and all sharing Mr Geris' registration pass.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » July 16th, 2010, 12:57 pm

From the EMC website:

"One registration covers one computer but we encourage you to invite your friends to watch the conference with you."

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 16th, 2010, 12:58 pm

I didn't suggest they were breaking the terms of the agreement for the one registration.

Just think it's shameful behaviour.

If you want to see the content, pay for it. That is how they will be able to make it work next year.

Otherwise you may as well just pirate it.

Seuss

Postby Seuss » July 16th, 2010, 1:04 pm

They also sold a club pass to EMC which had a base fee + X$ times # of expected viewers. Perhaps that is what Mr. Geris donated?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 16th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Seuss wrote:They also sold a club pass to EMC which had a base fee + X$ times # of expected viewers. Perhaps that is what Mr. Geris donated?

As I said initially, love to be corrected on this if I am leaping to the wrong conclusion.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » July 16th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:If it guarantees 60+ hours of us not hearing about you father in each and every freaking thread, I'll treat him.

Brad, you are a real ass****! Some could say the same statement about you in general. That comment was better served in a private mail. If she wants to comment about her father and you don't like it then skip over her posts. She sounds like a very caring daughter, I should hope that my daughter is as loving and caring. Give your holyer than though attitude a rest.

Jeff Pierce

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » July 16th, 2010, 1:41 pm

I'm with you, Brad.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » July 16th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Jeff, I hope you get what you wish for - a daughter who loves you dearly and is unashamed to say so.

But if she comes on a magic forum and starts rambling incessantly about stuff having nothing to do with the topic at hand, I'll tell her to shut the f&^% up, too.

Kisses,

The [censored].

P.s. I think mai-ling has been far more conscientious of her posts and their locations. I know I and several others appreciate that.

Now, what was the topic again?

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » July 16th, 2010, 3:32 pm

For those who missed Marco Tempest's charming and whimsical as well technologically fascinating presentation yesterday, a version of it he did at TEDxTokyo can be seen on his website here:
http://www.marcotempest.com/
Worth watching!

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » July 16th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:I'll take this as an opportunity to enhance my forums experience by using the handy "Ignore this user" function. (Available from a users profile screen)

Hey Chris, that's a great feature, I'm using it right now.

Thanks
Jeff

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 16th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Okay--enough off-topic discussion.

Back to EMC, please.

naquada

Postby naquada » July 16th, 2010, 3:48 pm

I must say EMC is wonderful experience.. congrats to all involved!!!

You can still register (or attend a club who has a club pass who can share the conference broadcast) at www.essentialmagicconference.com

we're updating whats happening as we can here - http://www.magicconventionguide.com/cat ... ence-2010/

but really.. its cheap, and it sort of a no brainer given you'll get all the presentations on DVD and On Demand!!
Member of The Magic Circle
www.magicconventionguide.com

the Larry

Postby the Larry » July 16th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Cheap or not $75 is never a no-brainer. It can feed a family for a a week.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 16th, 2010, 8:10 pm

"It can feed a family for a a week."

If you eat tuna fish sandwiches, tuna fish casseroles, and plain pasta. At least, the Larry, we know what your diet consists of.

Seuss

Postby Seuss » July 16th, 2010, 8:33 pm

I was thinking those meals would be mostly of the "helper" variety. lol

the Larry

Postby the Larry » July 16th, 2010, 9:03 pm

The last time I checked 'a family' and 'my family' are two different things. As an editor Mr. Kaufman should have acquired a bit more sophisticated command of his mother tongue. But then again I see nothing wrong with a simple low cost diet.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » July 17th, 2010, 12:21 am

The Larry made a valid point.

There's no call for mocking the circumstances of families for whom money is tight.

For many people, especially in these economic times, $75 is a nontrivial expenditure. Let's be glad that people are still choosing to spend enough money on magic to sustain this cultural form.

Return to “Buzz”