Randi

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Randi

Postby CraigMitchell » March 22nd, 2010, 8:13 am

A post by James Randi ...

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swi ... ay-it.html

How To Say It?
Swift
Written by James Randi
Sunday, 21 March 2010 12:37
Well, here goes. I really resent the term, but I use it because its recognized and accepted.

Im gay.

From some seventy years of personal experience, I can tell you that theres not much gay about being homosexual. For the first twenty years of my life, I had to live in the shadows, in a culture that was at least outwardly totally hostile to any hint of that variation of life-style. At no time did I choose to adopt any protective coloration, though; my cultivation of an abundant beard was not at all a deception, but part of my costume as a conjuror.

Gradually, the general attitude that Id perceived around me began to change, and presently I find that there has emerged a distinctly healthy acceptance of different social styles of living except, of course, in cultures that live in constant and abject fear of divine retribution for infractions found in the various Holy Books In another two decades, Im confident that young people will find themselves in a vastly improved atmosphere of acceptance.

Before publishing this statement, I chose to privately notify a number of my closest friends and colleagues none of whom, Im sure, have been at all surprised at this coming out. Im prepared to receive the inevitable barrage of jeers and insults from the grubbies out there who will jump to their keyboards in glee to notify others of their kind about this statement, which to them will be yet further proof of the perfidy of the rationalist mode of life that I have chosen. Those titters of joy will be unheard over the murmur of acceptance that I confidently expect from my friends.

This declaration of mine was prompted just last week by seeing an excellent film starring Sean Penn that told the story of politician Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California. Im in excellent company: Barney Frank, Oscar Wilde, Stephen Fry, Ellen DeGeneres, Rachel Maddow, are just a few of those who were in my thoughts as I pressed the key that placed this on Swift and before the whole world

I should apologize for having used Swift as the venue to publish this note, an item that is hardly the focus of what we promote and publish here, but I chose the single most public asset I have to make this statement. Its from here that I have attacked irrationality, stupidity, and irresponsibility, and it is my broadest platform. Here is where I have chosen to stand and fight.

And I think that I have already won this battle by simply publishing this statement.

mrgoat

Re: Randi

Postby mrgoat » March 22nd, 2010, 9:13 am

In other news, he also has a beard.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » March 22nd, 2010, 10:17 am

Twenty-odd years ago Randi came out of the closet to my wife and I by introducing us to his long-time companion when they were guests in our home.

I'm glad he made the public announcement. As an accomplished escape artist Randi's last great "escape" has been from the closet. Im sure its quite liberating. Good for him.

Raleigh

Postby Raleigh » March 22nd, 2010, 10:27 am

I have been a fan of the Amazing Randi since I was a kid in the 1960's. Personally this press release changes nothing . I still think he is GREAT and still one of my magic idol's .
However I also think ......WHO CARES if your gay or into bondage , sleeping with you bosses wife etc. My point is that is your private business and why go around telling everyone your private business . I'm not attacking anyone here, but .... SO WHAT !
RaleighVintageMagic.com
Last edited by Raleigh on March 22nd, 2010, 10:46 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: TYPO

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » March 22nd, 2010, 11:46 am

He also discusses it on "For Good Reason: HERE

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » March 22nd, 2010, 12:12 pm

Raleigh,

While your attitude is enlightend and reasonable there are a lot of people who would happily stand Randi and other gay men and women against a wall and have them removed from society.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » March 22nd, 2010, 12:41 pm

From now on he shall be known as The Fabulous Randi.

But seriously, congratulations.
Last edited by Steve Bryant on March 22nd, 2010, 12:52 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: fewer words

Raleigh

Postby Raleigh » March 22nd, 2010, 12:59 pm

David
I agree .... it's a shame isn't it .

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » March 22nd, 2010, 3:00 pm

Who Cares? He does. And he wants us to know. I support his need to let us know, just as I support others need for privacy.
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 22nd, 2010, 3:33 pm

As I wrote in my book on Milo and Roger (who were in a committed relationship for more than 40-years), the only thing that fascinates me about other peoples consensual choices is how concerned other people seem to be about other peoples consensual choices.

James Randi generously gave me a personal lesson in key bending. He has also been most helpful in several research projects I have done over the last couple of years. Hes been kind, honest (and in some ways brutally so, which is fine), and principled. Those are the kinds of qualities by which I measure a person.

Dustin

PS: But Steves joke did make me laugh! (And Im calling a gay friend right now to tell that joke).

Terry

Postby Terry » March 22nd, 2010, 5:22 pm

I figured he grew the beard for the same reason most men grow beards. . .they are losing the hair on their heads and trying to cover up the increasing face landscape.

As far as his "announcement" - it was referenced in Sandy Marshall's biography on his dad Jay.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 22nd, 2010, 7:39 pm

These days such announcements are not news events, which is exactly how it should be. I echo the above comment:
Who cares? That should be everyone's reaction.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Greg Edmonds

Postby Greg Edmonds » March 22nd, 2010, 7:47 pm

I had to give a few moments thought about, and before, responding, but here we go.

First, I understand Mr. Randi is quite ill, and I wish him a quick and complete recovery.

Second, I've strongly suspected that Mr. Randi was homosexual (I, neither, care for the term "gay") since the mid 1970's, when one of his young former associates (or so the fellow claimed) felt it, for reasons I still can't conceive, necessary to tell me so when we worked an event together. I encountered Mr. Randi some months later, and his then companion (perhaps the same fellow he's with now, I don't know, was pointed out to me as "Randi's" lover). Again, I didn't know this as a fact, but, both sources seemed sure of their information, and neither was, as far as I knew, connected in any way with the other.

Third. Mr. Randi is, he now officially informs us, "Gay,"

Forth. I don't care.

I have had a number of personal issues with Mr. Randi (chiefly, his exposure of a commonly used mentalist's gimmick on television's "THE VIEW" exactly one day after another mentalist appeared on the same program).

Please don't misunderstand, there are those who've employed psychic entertainment (mentalism) techniques to rob or otherwise cause emotional or physical harm to others. I LOATH such people, and personally, literally, ran one out of the town I lived in by writing a series of articles exposing her incredible lack of compassion, her very dangerous medical advice, and her general methodology. I did NOT, however, expose mentalism or magic tools or direct techniques.

Another of my issues with Mr. Randi is his verbal and written assault, in general, on any and all people of faith. Note on his announcement site that there's a link for "Nonbelievers" to send money to Haiti.

Yes, there are a few sites, set up by Christian, Jewish (and I suspect Muslim), and other faith-based organizations. Should one NOT send money to one of these because they're faith based?

I was a medical professional (in Trauma and Orthopaedics) for a number of years. I encountered hundreds of people who either suddenly found themselves destitute, or otherwise were in immediate need of physical and financial aid -- primarily, these folks were desperate for a plate of food and a place to sleep.

I worked with MANY of the "helping" organizations "out there," ranging from the Red Cross to the mayor's office, the governor's office, FEMA and dozens of secular groups. Consistently, and I mean EVERY time, when the proverbial rubber hit the road, ONE organization came through, right now, no questions asked, nothing required from the person or persons in need, when said need arose.

That organization was the Salvation Army.

Are there "non-believing" organizations who also help? Of course there are, but why does it become necessary for anyone to announce his or her beliefs, one way or another, when it comes time to give aid? The Salvation Army, a christian ministry, never, in my experience, attempted to proselytize, convict or convince anyone regarding his or her personal beliefs.

I'm not a psychotherapist, but I'm guessing, based upon Mr. Randi's written and recorded comments, that his inner turmoil with the conflict between his sexuality and the remarks recorded in "the holy books" he speaks of, MAY, and just MAY, have something to do with his open hatred of all things religious. If this is the case, it's certainly understandable.

I could be absolutely wrong in my "guess," and I hope no offense is taken by Mr. Randi or anyone else, but my point is this.

The "holy book" I adhere to (though much of it is, clearly, allegorical, and NOT intended to be taken literally), says that it is a "SIN" to be a practicing homosexual. So, there you are, if you're "Gay," you're a sinner.

But wait, there's more... the book also says if you're a liar, an adulterer, a thief, or one who covets what others have (literally, or just in your thoughts), you're ALSO a SINNER. I've personally engaged in some of the latter during my life, so I'm not in a position to tell another man he's sinned, save to say, perhaps, it takes one to know one.

I'd remind anyone reading this far that the three or four initial sins I just listed are in, according to Judeo Christian theory, God's TOP TEN commandments. So, unless Moses tripped on the way down the mountain and dropped the tablet reading "Though Shalt Not Do The Naughty With A Guy Named Bruce," being a homosexual isn't at the top of the Lord's list of no-nos. As I see it, God decides what's most important to him, but ALL things he commands, he considers important enough to relate. Each of us who is a "believer," has, in his or her own heart, mind, soul (or whatever) to recognize and decide which sins we've committed and what wrongs we're responsible for.

Our "Holy Book" does NOT tell us to JUDGE anyone else, in fact, it doesn't even permit it; that's not our job.

Believe or don't that's up to you, but feeling the need to shout it to those who don't care accomplishes nothing but animosity.

If "outing" himself makes Mr. Randi feel better, then I'm sincerely glad he did it. If someone else, however, decides to share the fact that he BELIEVES something Mr. Randi does not believe, and no one is harmed in the process, I'd be sincerely happy if Mr. Randi would assert the same courtesy to that person.

Many of the "biggest" names in show business (and magic, obviously, included) are and have been, homosexual. Some of them are open about this fact, others are more comfortable keeping their sexuality their business. Among these people are, I'm happy to say, some of my true friends, and some of the most inspirational performers I've had the opportunity to see.

By the way, I have a beard, too. It's a requirement of all members (even women) of the International Association of Mindreaders Local 108, Atlanta, GA).

I genuinely wish peace, love and health to you all.

Greg Edmonds

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 22nd, 2010, 7:54 pm

Greg's post above falls into an area we do not discuss on the Forum: Religion. So, leave it at that.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » March 22nd, 2010, 8:09 pm

I totally do not understand the furor.

One: This is the worst kept secret in magic.
Two: One of the ways in which this came to my attention (some time ago) was so despicable that I refuse to credit it further
Three: Good for him for coming out because he wants to

No further discussion needed. My opinion of James hasn't changed one iota because of it, nor should anyone else's. This is the reason that you'll not find this story on the Magic Newswire, nor will you.

Greg Edmonds

Postby Greg Edmonds » March 22nd, 2010, 8:28 pm

In attempting to remove the offending message above, I find a message telling me I may not further edit the message as too much time has passed. As noted in the original post, no offense was intended (nor should it have been taken in said manner by anyone I can imagine).

Once again, I sincerely wish Mr. Randi the very best, and hope he is getting and feeling better every day.

Greg

Long live freedom of expression (providing, of course, it is politically correct or not otherwise objectionable).

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 22nd, 2010, 8:53 pm

Magic Newswire wrote:He also discusses it on "For Good Reason: HERE

Interesting listen there - telling even - thanks.

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » March 22nd, 2010, 9:02 pm

I was told this years ago. Did not change my respect for James Randi at all. Maybe he broke thru the final chain. Peace to all.
Lee

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » March 22nd, 2010, 9:32 pm

I'm glad that Greg's original post wasn't removed, either by him or by the Forum. Not saying I agree necessarily with his point of view, just pleased he was permitted to express it.

Live and let live, my friends!

Greg Edmonds

Postby Greg Edmonds » March 22nd, 2010, 9:43 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Jonathan. It was a very interesting interview.

I'm a little torn as to Mr. Randi's coming out now as opposed to, say, 20 years ago, but his reasoning makes sense and it is, as he frankly points out, his "damn business."

While my above diatribe on Mr. Randi may have seemed a bit harsh, it's only because I've seen Mr. Randi react harshly toward others of different ideas and ideals, to include not just "religious" folks, but new agers (though I don't agree with them) and the like. Calling all who don't believe as he does "woo-woos," is, frankly, also offensive.

All of this said, the world has been a better place because of James Randi's place in it. His exposure of phony faith healers I consider the top of the list in as far as his merits lie (Richard, I hope this, too, doesn't break the "religion rule"); and his general attitude regarding a skeptical view toward anything unknown until one decides, based upon careful observation and serious though, what one decides concerning same.

I'm glad, also, to hear his chemo process is over, and that his body is recovering nicely.

Greg

Terry

Postby Terry » March 23rd, 2010, 5:04 pm

During my first time living there, a school friend invited me to go see Randi perform in Jacksonville, FL back in the early 70's.

He did the best radio vanish I've ever seen anyone do. It was timed/performed perfectly to the second.

Unfortunately, I've never seen him do it again at any of the FL State conventions he was booked to do while I lived there.

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » March 23rd, 2010, 7:24 pm

I agree with what Richard says.
But Obviously it must mean something to Randi himself.
He's a good guy and a great friend of ours.

And you know its not exactly top top news by the
way AfterElton released it in it "Morning Meme"

http://www.afterelton.com/blog/edkenned ... eme-032210

Nobody disputes James Randi is a smart man. A noted illusionist in his younger days, these days he spends time investigating the paranormal and the pseudoscientific. Hes also, as of yesterday, out at the age of 82. One at a time, in our own time.

I found out about James Randi coming out from Wil Wheatons blog. Im obviously a fan of Evil Wil Wheaton on Big Bang Theory, but I even liked a young Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: TNG. Wil doesnt do politics often, but this is the second time recently hes spoken out on the subject of GLBT rights. Id like to share:

I hope he's right. I hope that, one day, we will live in a more tolerant and enlightened world, where people wont feel like they have to keep their identity hidden from all the ignorant bigots who reflexively hate them. Until then, I applaud people like James Randi who have the courage to speak up, and the greatest sympathy for those who feel like they cant.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 23rd, 2010, 8:29 pm

M-L,

When folks move from using the word tolerance to using the word acceptance ...

And when bigotry is treated as an illness...

Then perhaps we can move on past our attachments to ignorance and fear.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 24th, 2010, 1:43 am

Ah, Utopia; the impossible dream.

Managed, fear is a genetic and indispensable human emotion that heightens awareness and supports our instinct to live.

It isnt possible to know everything, so some level of ignorance will forever be a part of human existence.

Treating bigotry like an illness gives it a level of credence it doesnt deserve. Are you prepared to say, That Hitler guy would have been okay if not for his illness?

And there are people in this world whose beliefs arein my mindobjectionable (as mine are to them). We tolerate each other and all is well. I do not accept their views nor do I expect them to accept mine. Through tolerance, agreeing to disagree, we get along quite well.

Dustin

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 24th, 2010, 1:56 am

Ah, but Hitler was mentally ill. So are all mass murderers.

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » March 24th, 2010, 2:31 am

Randi: I'm happy that you find yourself at a point in your life where you no longer feel the need to conceal what is, after all, a perfectly normal human attribute. The task now remains for us to convince those who believe otherwise that society no longer condones nor has the patience for individuals harboring such beliefs.

You have spent your life fighting the good fight; casting the sunlight of truth at those who would use the darkness of deception to prey upon the weak. Here's hoping that you will spend many more years engaged in that noble task, no longer needing to carry the burdensome weight that has plagued you for so many years.

Stand again in the spotlight, Amazing Randi, for we celebrate you!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 24th, 2010, 7:49 am

Just slightly off topic here - when did he change his name?

Randall James Hamilton Zwinge

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » March 24th, 2010, 3:59 pm

He was friends with P. Howard Lyons and was going by the name Amazing Randi at least by 1955, according his contribution in Ibidem No. 1 (June 1955). (I just happen to be reading Ibidem book the other day)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Return to “Buzz”