Criss Angel time & venue?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
mfamagic

Criss Angel time & venue?

Postby mfamagic » February 4th, 2010, 12:04 pm

I want to share my feelings about Criss Angel, suggesting that he'll soar when he finds a better venue:

Criss Angel has experience and skill, and his goth/rock daredevil is a unique and engaging character for a magician. But whenever I see Mindfreak I get the sense that he would be better served by an annual rather than weekly tv show.

Hasn't Criss said that he doesn't even have a chance to rehearse sometimes?

Imagine how much better it could be if he had time to not only rehearse to perfection, but experiment with staging, such as: is this demonstration more effective..: outdoors or indoors, with audience or with spectators or alone, with this music or that music or no music, and so on.

It might be contrarian of me, but I do think Criss Angel is talented, and this is why I wince when I see some of Mindfreak or read about BELIEVE. I can't imagine the pressure of cranking out a new tv show every week; I think he and the staff are doing as best as possible under those crushing pressures. Similarly, I don't fault CIRQUE, which is great, I simply imagine that Criss could do better with comparable production values not chained to Cirque.

A SHOW THAT SHOWCASES HIM BETTER IS ONE THAT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE.
I want Criss to find a venue that will allow him to perfect and develop, rather than stifling him.

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Criss Angel time & venue?

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 4th, 2010, 12:27 pm

I love the smell of optimism in the afternoon. It's like ...

Anyway, is there another season of Mindfreak in the works?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 4th, 2010, 12:39 pm

If Criss Angel says he doesn't have time to rehearse it's of his own doing, not external constraints.
Last edited by Richard Kaufman on February 5th, 2010, 1:30 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: DUMB TYPO!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Gord

Postby Gord » February 5th, 2010, 12:09 am

While I agree that another venue would be better for Criss (Like the WWE Theater he used to perform in in New York) the bed he lays in is one of his own making.
If he can't rehearse, if Believe isn't a good fit, then he has no one to blame but himself.

Gord

mfamagic

Postby mfamagic » February 8th, 2010, 2:38 pm

In terms of rehearsal time, I was thinking primarily of Mindfreak as series television: if you have to create many hours of episodes of new material in one year, you have less time to experiment and rehearse than if you are only producing one new hour of material per year.

Return to “Buzz”