"New" Harbin Book

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

"New" Harbin Book

Postby Matthew Field » January 27th, 2010, 4:52 am

I just received the new "Davenport Story, Vol. 2 -- The Lost Legends." This big book, edited by Fergus Roy and available from Davenports Magic in London (www.DavenportsMagic.co.uk) contains three books which were bought for publication by Gilly Davenport but, for one reason or another, were never published.

The books collected in this volume are "Magic Marches On" by Robert Harbin, a collection of more than 36 tricks, illusions and escapes, mostly for stage, all accompanied by page-high illustrations by Harbin himself. It is accompanied by a reprint of Harbin's "Twelve Initialed Secrets", originally published in 1942 for Davenport's "Demon Telegraph" but never otherwise issued.

Second is a fourth volume in the Edward Victor series, "Magic of the Hands." "With Magic Hands" contains 19 sleights and effects, with cards, rope, Cups and Balls and the like, also illustrated.

Finally, we have G.W. Hunter's "Mystia" or "World of Magic." Hunter, probably best known for the Hunter Knot, describes this as, "Giving an explanation of the performances, specimens of programmes, personal reminiscences, anecdotes etc. of the most celebrated exponents of the Magic Art." Jay Marshall called the manuscript, which he Read after Fergus Roy unearthed it, one of the most important insights he had ever rad as to how many of the great artists of the past had worked and how many illusions and effects were actually performed. Here you'll find material in the acts of more than three Diane magicians, including de Kolta, Maskelyne, Charles Bertram, Keller, Herrmann, Hercat, Yank Hoe, Mystia, Okita, Servais LeRoy -- and those are only some of the better-known names.

Thus far I've only barely begun reading the book, but I think its importance is worthy of mention here on the Forum.

I don't know if anyone will be selling this in the US, but with shipping, the price in the UK is 76 and in the US 95 (about 157).

Considering the "death of the book," with this volume and Sandy Marshall's "Beating a Dead Horse," "Magic 1400s-1950s", Richard Kaufman's forthcoming DeLand book, Vernon's "Revelation," and books on Zarrow, David Nixon and more, my problem is not so much lack of reading material as lack of funds.

Matt Field

Marco Pusterla

Re: "New" Harbin Book

Postby Marco Pusterla » January 27th, 2010, 5:06 am

Matt: did you pick the book up in the shop or did you get it in the post? Just asking as I haven't yet received my pre-ordered copy :(

Thanks!
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 27th, 2010, 9:30 am

I picked it up at the shop. Fergus is in the process of mailing out copies.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » January 27th, 2010, 10:59 am

Many thanks! I'm sure I'll get my copy in a day or two! I'm really looking forward to the Hunter manuscript.
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » January 27th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Quick question. Are these limited edition books?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 27th, 2010, 12:47 pm

No, not stated to be limited editions. I have no idea how many they've printed, but I doubt it's a huge number.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » January 27th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Thanks. I appreciate the info.
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Return to “Buzz”