Brilliant news - Shawn Farquhar on Ellen

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jon Allen

Re: Brilliant news - Shawn Farquhar on Ellen

Postby Jon Allen » January 20th, 2010, 10:03 am

Mark.Lewis wrote:When I have an audience in front of me I can assure you that I cannot be equalled.

I think every single person will agree on that.

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » January 20th, 2010, 11:46 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:No,I have not proven your point. What you have proven, by stating that "If he was a singer, then I'm sure other singers would have rained on his accomplishment" is that you have no idea what I'm talking about.

No one is "raining" on anyone else's accomplishment. Do you think we should just all suck on our thumbs when someone goes on TV instead of saying what we think?

Magicians ARE raining on Shawn's accomplishment Richard. I hear what you're saying...I just don't agree. I think it is YOU who are missing my point. Let me help you...

Ever since Shawn won FISM, he has been nothing short of bent over and nailed for his award winning act. The judges thought it was top notch which was why he won. Yet he has received so much crap over it from many in the Magic Community that it has (IMO) tarnished the accomplishment.

OK...so with FISM, I get it (sort of). He was performing before Magicians, so it is what it is. If you wish to enter that arena, then you get what you get!

Now he lands a spot on the most popular daytime talk show in the USA with a LAYMEN viewing audience into the mulit-millions and all that the majority of Magicians can do is rip him apart over STUPID NIT PICKEY STUFF THAT I GUARENTEE WAS NEVER NOTICED BY A LAYMEN...which was who Shawn was performing for.

If you were to go back and read this thread, you can read for yourself the negaitvity that is being dished out by some about his act on Ellen.

So yes, the "raining" has been taking place. The proof is in black and white in this thread. Do I have to name names? It should be pretty obvious...

Shawn does a lot of what I call "knacky personallity things" in his set. The riffling of the cards, his style of DLs, etc. It's what makes him who he is. He has his own style. Was his set perfect? No, of course not? Could any of us have done any better in his position? Doubtful. The whole point to my original post was to quit beating him down and let him do his thing as it was a wonderful score for Magic. He was entertianing, he was charming, it was much better than anything magic I have seen on TV recently.

He was on Daytime NETWORK television. Not some late night cable show that won't attract the same viewing audience.

But the most imporant thing is that LAYMEN are excited about what they saw him do and to all the working pro's out there such as myself, we are receiving all the benefits.

Internet Forum Magician's can sit here and armchair quarterback Shawn all they wish. But from the working pro's persepective (those who are actually OUT THERE working in the trenches), it's nice to have people remembering good Magic then saying "can you float over a building like Criss Angel?"
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
www.lylemagic.com
Columnist - The Magic Menu

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » January 20th, 2010, 12:32 pm

As it turns out, I scheduled Shawn to be our guest on the next This Week in Magic some weeks ago. Now I'm curious as to whether or not any of you have anything interesting that you'd like for us to ask him on this or any other topic while we're chatting.

cheers,
dodd

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 20th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Hi Dodd,

Some time ago he mentioned being the inventor of a really good signed card into new deck routine and that he was looking to make that available. Is that offering on the horizon?

Thanks,

Jon
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 20th, 2010, 12:40 pm

Christopher Lyle wrote:Could any of us have done any better in his position? Doubtful.

Do you have ANY idea who reads this board? Really?

Your entire argument is now ridiculous if you think no one here could do any better.

You win the Shawn Fanboy t-shirt. PM your address I'll pop it in the mail.

Why the HELL does the fact someone is on telly stop people criticising someone?

I don't like him, his quirky personality-based annoyin- and-too-loud-for-TV card riffly things, the way he telegraphs sleights, the way he looks at his hands, his weird double lifts, his scripting, his pace, his AWFUL jacket and other reasons.

It's got nothing to do with him being on television. If he was just some dude at the Castle doing the same schtick, I would have the same opinion.

I did like the signed card to resealed pack though. And I loved that there was some magic on a big chat show.

Jager

Postby Jager » January 20th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Christopher Lyle wrote:Now he lands a spot on the most popular daytime talk show in the USA with a LAYMEN viewing audience into the mulit-millions and all that the majority of Magicians can do is rip him apart over STUPID NIT PICKEY STUFF THAT I GUARENTEE WAS NEVER NOTICED BY A LAYMEN...which was who Shawn was performing for.

If you were to go back and read this thread, you can read for yourself the negaitvity that is being dished out by some about his act on Ellen.

But the most imporant thing is that LAYMEN are excited about what they saw him do and to all the working pro's out there such as myself, we are receiving all the benefits.

Internet Forum Magician's can sit here and armchair quarterback Shawn all they wish. But from the working pro's persepective (those who are actually OUT THERE working in the trenches), it's nice to have people remembering good Magic then saying "can you float over a building like Criss Angel?"

I hope I am correct in assuming there arent allot of laymen on this forum reading these posts. It's all Magicians either pro semi-pro or hobbyists who can learn from what we saw on the show and discussing it here. I am sure Shawn is getting accolades on the Ellen forum.
I agree his performance was a positive one for the magic community. Hearing all the critiques here however will cause me to be more mindful of how I perform my magic. Part of the reason I read these posts.
Cheers
Kelly Smith
Jager

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 20th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Magic Newswire wrote:As it turns out, I scheduled Shawn to be our guest on the next This Week in Magic some weeks ago. Now I'm curious as to whether or not any of you have anything interesting that you'd like for us to ask him on this or any other topic while we're chatting.

cheers,
dodd

"What, if anything, would you do differently if you could redo the segment right now having watched it."

"When did he go from baffled to annoyed about the kerfuffle surrounding a certain Sting song and the rather dramatically obvious use of it because it has some references to playing cards?"

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 20th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Here's the relevant Ellen link for those who want the market audience responses.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 20th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Here's the relevant Ellen link for those who want the market audience responses.

Interesting indeed. First few seemed fake, like his management had done them, then they seem to get real later on.

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » January 20th, 2010, 2:12 pm

mrgoat wrote: Do you have ANY idea who reads this board? Really?

Kinda hard to know who's who when so many people (like yourself) cowardly post under fake names. Makes me wonder (seriously) if people would post the things they post if their real name were attached to it.

mrgoat wrote:Your entire argument is now ridiculous if you think no one here could do any better.

Perhaps I was a tad hastey in writing that. Let me rephrase...

I think that the MAJORITY (90%) of Magicians when placed in front of a TV Camera before a live studio audience and feeling the pressure of "don't suck before millions of people" wouldn't be able to do any better.

mrgoat wrote:Why the HELL does the fact someone is on telly stop people criticising someone?

You're missing my point...

Go back and read my first comment. I said "say what you will about his performance...good or bad, but in my opinion, he did a great thing for magic!"

I am 101% correct! The only people who are slamming him are Magician's. If you go to the link that Jonathan provided us, and read all the comments, they appear to be from mostly laymen.

mrgoat wrote:I don't like him, his quirky personality-based annoyin- and-too-loud-for-TV card riffly things, the way he telegraphs sleights, the way he looks at his hands, his weird double lifts, his scripting, his pace, his AWFUL jacket and other reasons.

So then no matter what he did, you would hate him on the show regardless...

mrgoat wrote:And I loved that there was some magic on a big chat show.

EXACTLY! It was magic represented in a positve way by one of the Pros in our craft.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » January 20th, 2010, 2:30 pm

mrgoat wrote:

Truth be told...I'm not that big a fan of Shawn's. I too could sit around and rip him apart as I'm sure I could (any of us could) with any Magician who appeared.

AGAIN...THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

What I have been trying to communciate with all of this is that he has made people excited about Magic. Laymen...the people I perform for 5 nights a week are telling me they saw a great Magi on Ellen.

He did good...that's all I have been trying to say!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 20th, 2010, 2:32 pm

I watched the segment. Could Shawn have been better? Sure, but that is an observation that can be made about practically anyone working TV doing close-up on someone elses show where editing is not possible.

The difficulties are enormous. Youre working with TV people who see you as a segment. Its highly likely that they will not fully understand your needs as a magician. Absent a thorough camera rehearsal the director is often playing catch-up and is a beat or two behind.

In this instance we dont know if Shawns segment was rushed, what was said to him before he went on, etc. Program segments are now shorter than they were in the old days.

He could have been slower and more relaxed and focused on Ellens face, but I doubt many of the armchair performers posting criticisms here could have done as well or better.

Overall, he did well for himself and for magic. Ellen seemed to enjoy herself as did the audience which is the whole point of the exercise.

Glad to hear hell be back.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 20th, 2010, 2:40 pm

Christopher Lyle wrote:...AGAIN...THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

What I have been trying to communciate with all of this is that he has made people excited about Magic. Laymen...the people I perform for 5 nights a week are telling me they saw a great Magi on Ellen.

If that was your goal then "He did good", perhaps with an IMHO nearby, would have sufficed.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 20th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Magicians (as a rule) take everything too damned personally. You can criticize and idea or a performance and it not be an indictment of the person.

I had a trumpet teacher once who told me two things:

1) always make your weaknesses your strengths.

By this he meant, you should always work on improving your weaknesses. Rather than just bask in the glory of what you do well, seek out the problems and attack them with the intention of making them better than what you already excel at. That way, you are constantly improving.

This of course requires you to think about what wasn't great and not spend so much time patting yourself on the back for what was.

2) if you can listen to a recording of a great player, and hear the difference between you and that person, you could - with work - achieve similar greatness.

The thing is - a lot of people CAN'T hear the difference.

We see this in magic all the time. There are people who sincerely believe their shows are no different from Copperfield's - except for the fact he can afford louder speakers and better lights.

These people have no hope for improvement.

Latent in point 2 is the notion that we should be using other players for models. You can learn so much from studying the work of others - but only if you develop the skills to be critical and see/hear the differences.

Now both of these points come together in this thread. We can do what Christopher is suggesting and simply do a lot of glad handing and have a ticker tape parade, OR we can use this as a learning opportunity - this REQUIRES we be critical.

You cannot grow when everything is already perfect (or off limits for discussion).

(For a fabulous exploration of this "growth in paradise" idea, check out Passing Strange, now on DVD!)

Chris seems to be intent on forcing all of us to see perfection or closing our eyes if we cannot.

What good can come of that?

Brad

(On a related note: judging the success of a performance based on a layperson reaction is naive. I remember nearly crapping my pants first time a hack magician did -what I later learned - was a very ineptly handled version of the sponge balls. Based on my reaction as a child he should have been the greatest magician in the world. He wasn't.

I remember "killing" at shows I did for my high school and college friends. They thought I was great. They were wrong.

To someone who only knows Taco Bell, Red Lobster must seem gourmet.

We should hold ourselves to higher standards than "did they scream a lot."

I know lots of ways to make someone scream, and some of them are even unpleasant.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 20th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Christopher Lyle wrote:Kinda hard to know who's who when so many people (like yourself) cowardly post under fake names. Makes me wonder (seriously) if people would post the things they post if their real name were attached to it.

I've been posting on this board for years and most regulars will know I am Damian Jennings.

Far from being cowardly, using a nickname when posting on the internet is what EVERYONE should do in this day and age of identity theft, cybercrime, phishing, etc. I would strictly forbid my children from using their names online for anything.

If you are brave enough not to care about those things, brilliant. Seems a tad childish to call me a coward for having the foresight to care about such things.

Christopher Lyle wrote:You're missing my point...

Go back and read my first comment. I said "say what you will about his performance...good or bad, but in my opinion, he did a great thing for magic!"

Where is anyone disagreeing with this point Mr Lyle. You seem to be building up a straw man for some reason?

Christopher Lyle wrote:So then no matter what he did, you would hate him on the show regardless...

Yes. And I am allowed to post saying what I thought. And I find it REALLY odd you are getting so aggressive and rude about me saying that I didn't like him. It doesn't mean I am pissing on the fact he got on Ellen. It doesn't mean that I think he did magic a disservice. It just means I don't like him.

And hurrah for subjective opinion. I applaud the fact you think he is awesome. I welcome more posts from you explaining why you think his annoying riffles are a good idea. I will consistently support your right to like him. I won't call you names or get stroppy about you liking him.

And I would appreciate it if you just went for a little walk around the block, had some fresh air, and think before you call anyone else names for the audacious crime of having a differing opinion to you.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 20th, 2010, 2:51 pm

Christopher Lyle wrote:
mrgoat wrote:

Truth be told...I'm not that big a fan of Shawn's. I too could sit around and rip him apart as I'm sure I could (any of us could) with any Magician who appeared.

AGAIN...THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

I can't see anyone disagreeing with this anywhere on this thread.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 20th, 2010, 3:09 pm

I must confess that the rather awful Christopher Lyle has converted me. Funnily enough I don't normally criticise magicians publicly unless they have annoyed me personally. I am not sure what got into me this time. I think it was Richard Kaufmann setting a bad example. And of course Mr Goat ALWAYS sets a bad example.

There is indeed something not very nice about nit picking a fellow performer publicly. I am kind of sorry that I did it now. On the other hand I think my comments were perfectly valid even though I wish I hadn't made them.

Richard did say that singers criticise singers and comedians criticise comedians and that sort of thing. Actually there is one group who rarely criticise their colleagues. Pitchmen hardly ever criticise other pitchmen. In fact it would be considered bad manners for one pitchman to watch another pitchman work.

I wish Shawn success and hope that he goes on to further successes.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 20th, 2010, 3:20 pm

mrgoat wrote:
Mark.Lewis wrote: which kind of proves my point.

Which is that some people read lines badly and can't act?

Stunning insight.

You should do a blog or something?

www.marklewisstatesthebleedingobvious.com is available, I'm sure it would be a huge hit.

Are you saying that Richard Kaufmann reads lines badly and can't act? I assume you mean this since my comment was in connection to his statement that he would do badly on television. I must say you are terribly rude.

I, on the other hand am renowned for my courtesy and tact and I rather think you should use me as a role model in how to post on the internet. I am afraid you need improvement in that area.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 20th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Jon Allen wrote:
Mark.Lewis wrote:When I have an audience in front of me I can assure you that I cannot be equalled.

I think every single person will agree on that.

Allen my boy. Your sarcasm is on a par with your performing skills when I saw you work in Buffalo a few years ago. Still, you are young and no doubt will improve as time goes by. You are already better than you used to be. Keep it up, there's a good chap. And do try not to put your hand uninvited on spectator's shoulders. It really is a dreadful invasion of privacy you know.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 20th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Mark.Lewis wrote:Are you saying that Richard Kaufmann reads lines badly and can't act?

No. I am saying you are stating the bleedin' obvious. Hope that is clear now.

x

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 20th, 2010, 4:12 pm

Who cares if I read lines poorly and can't act? I am not an actor! Sometimes I do card tricks for people, which requires that I neither read lines nor act. It goes quite well, thank you.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 20th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Somebody said you took acting lessons. I was under the impression that you were a rival to Sir John Gielgud.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » January 20th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Mark.Lewis wrote: When I have an audience in front of me I can assure you that I cannot be equalled.

Surpassed, yes. Equalled, never!

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 20th, 2010, 5:30 pm

Tim Ellis wrote:
Mark.Lewis wrote: When I have an audience in front of me I can assure you that I cannot be equalled.

Surpassed, yes. Equalled, never!

Ellis old chap. May I congratulate you. You are a wit. Or at least you are halfway there.

I can assure you that I cannot possibly be surpassed as an impromptu close up magician. I have never seen anyone that can do it especially if they have been born after 1954. A few older magicians who were born before that date can equal me but certainly not surpass me. And most of these chaps are dead anyway.

While I have your attention I have been meaning to give you something so you don't get sent back on the next plane when you arrive in Canada in a few months. A rather silly young man from the UK tried to enter the US without getting permission to work at a magic convention. I understand he was very rude to the immigration officer who sent him packing on the next plane. Quite right too.

You will be relieved to know that unlike the United States you are actually allowed to work here as an entertainer on a temporary basis. The only trouble is that individual immigration officers at the port of entry don't know their own regulations and may send you back anyway for trying to work without permission especially since I can see that you can be a little mouthy at times. Poor old Gazzo got kicked out even though he was actually allowed to work here. The trouble is that neither he nor the immigration people knew that.

If you show due deference and avoid your usual impertinence I shall give you something that will help you avoid such problems.
It will not work for the United States but it will get you into Canada without any problems.

I suppose you could simply tell them that you are on holiday but then you would be doing something terribly wicked and illegal and naturally I cannot possibly encourage that.

Furthermore if I see any further impertinence regarding my ability from you not only will I not help you in this matter I shall insist as a citizen of Canada that the convention organisers adhere to the government requirement that foreign entertainers are subject to a 15% witholding tax on their earnings. I expect you will get away with it if I say nothing so you had better be nice to me and grovel in an appropriate manner.

Sorry to go off topic but I really felt that I had to save you from yourself.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 20th, 2010, 5:37 pm

I did study at the Stella Adler Conservatory for several years.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 20th, 2010, 5:42 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I did study at the Stella Adler Conservatory for several years.

Did it do you any good?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 20th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Yes, of course.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 21st, 2010, 10:16 am

Tim Ellis wrote:Is this you Mark?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PB3wQz-Md4

Is this you, Tim?

http://www.magicunlimited.typepad.com/

(See videoclip at bottom of page)

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » January 21st, 2010, 5:30 pm

If you're referring to the clip of Psychic Surgery - no.

I did perform Psychic Surgery on Tuesday night at 'The Catchpenny Club' (it will be featured in the upcoming TV series of the same name) but I was in disguise.

http://magicunlimited.typepad.com/.a/6a ... 83e970b-pi

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 21st, 2010, 6:52 pm

Tim also performed in disguise as Ursula in a video you may have seen.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » January 21st, 2010, 7:14 pm

Pete! I was saving that act for Blackpool!

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 21st, 2010, 9:55 pm

I am not referring to the psychic surgery clip as you well know. I am referring to what appears to be a loud "magician" who seems to have partaken too much of the devil's buttermilk.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » January 21st, 2010, 10:14 pm

Sorry Mark, your clever patter has lost me.

But, there is a clip from the Psychic Surgery (along with several interviews) in the latest 'Australian Magic News' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpeSapujQ9Q

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 21st, 2010, 10:16 pm

You seem to have taken off the clip of you "performing" in a pub.
Very wise of you, if I may say so. The demon drink and artistic magic do not mix I am afraid.

As for that "Real Hustle" show it should be entitled "Not so Real Hustle" It is full of tosh and inaccuracy. Not a single person involved in that show knows a thing about scamming people.
Unless you call scamming the public into thinking you know something about scamming a scam.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » January 21st, 2010, 10:36 pm

Nothing has been removed Mark.

As it is a blog, you'll find entries, postings, ramblings and video clips going back several years.

Enjoy!

I'm sure you'll have plenty of sage advice to impart...

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 22nd, 2010, 7:36 am

You did indeed remove the clip in question. And I don't blame you either. You can't fool me.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » January 22nd, 2010, 8:17 am

Dear Mark,

This is how a blog works: It displays a certain number of 'posts' on each page, usually from most recent to oldest (though you can set it to work the other way). Every time you make a new post, the oldest one on that page gets bumped to the previous page. If the post you were looking for is no longer there, and I haven't removed it, it's most likely now on the previous page.

I know there is a good chance that you do indeed understand how the blog works but have chosen to "pull my leg" and pretend you don't, but I thought it best to assume you are unfamiliar with such things and explain it anyway.

If you are really eager to find clips of me performing so you can make further comments, try this link - http://www.youtube.com/user/timellis43

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 22nd, 2010, 8:56 am

I haven't the slightest idea what a "blog" is. All I know is that you were there and now you aren't. Which of course is just as well. The demon drink and magic don't mix.

And no. I am not particularly eager to find clips of you performing. Once was enough, thank you. I cannot possiblty condone inebriation when performing in dens of iniquity such as public houses and bars.

I will however exert myself to view the link you have just posted.

Return to “Buzz”