John Booth passed away

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Lupe Nielsen

John Booth passed away

Postby Lupe Nielsen » November 15th, 2009, 1:56 pm

[font:Arial]John Booth of Los Alamitos, California, after several weeks of diminishing health, passed away on Veterans Day November 11, 2009. He was 97 years old.

He was a remarkable magician, author, minister and our best friend.

He is survived by his daughter Barbara Christie. At this time we do not know any details or plans for a memorial or service. We will keep you posted once we have more news.

Regards,

Norm and Lupe Nielsen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following list of accomplishments and brief biography is from Bart Whaleys Whos Who in Magic (Third Revised Edition pdf version www.lybrary.com):

John [William Nicholls] Booth LittD, MIMC (Meadville, Pennsylvania: 7 Aug 1912- 11 Nov 2009) Inspired at age 10 by a magic set. Learned at age 14 from W.J. Armstrong ("Armah"). Semi-pro at 15 (in 1927). Edited-published Canada's second (after W.G. Edwards's Edwards Monthly) magic magazine, The Canadian Magician's Digest (1929, 3 issues). Organized the first Canadian magic convention (Hamilton, Ontario) 18-19 Apr 1931. Pro 1934-Mar 1940, as a prominent society, nightclub, & hotel magician. In 1938 also worked alternate venues as "Jancini". 1937 Sphinx Award.
Then an ordained Unitarian minister (1942 until retired in 1975). Part-time pro celebrity platform lecturer 1943-58, touring world-wide. 1977 AMA Literary Fellowship. 1983 SAM Hall of Fame. 1985 & 1988 H. Adrian Smith Literary Award; 1987 Magic Circle "John Nevil Maskelyne Prize".
Invented Pull-Down (late 1920s) & Booth's Baffling Block (1928). Wrote over 400 articles (since 1928) for Linking Ring, Sphinx, Genii, & Magicol. Also (since 1930) 12 books on magic: Super Magical Miracles (1930), Forging Ahead in Magic (1939, 154pp; reprinted 1944), Marvels of Mystery (1941, 146pp; reprinted 1946 & 1963), The John Booth Classics (1975, 252pp, being a reprint of the two previous books plus "A Conjurer's Reminiscences"), Psychic Paradoxes (1984, 243pp), Wonders of Magic (1986, 289pp), Dramatic Magic (1988, 243pp), Creative World of Conjuring (1990, 268pp), Conjurians' Discoveries (1992, 274pp), The Fine Art of Hocus Pocus (1996, 287pp), Extending Magic Beyond Credibility (2001, 272pp), Magical Mentalism. Also wrote books on religion, travel, & genealogy as "John Nicholls Booth": Fantastic Destinations, The Quest for Preaching Power, The Story of the Second Church in Boston. An index of his 1963-88 Linking Ring articles is Ben Robinson & Amy Janello (editor), Memoirs of a Magician's Ghost (1988, 243pp).
[/font]

Diego

Re: John Booth passed away

Postby Diego » November 15th, 2009, 2:07 pm

Very sorry to hear. John Booth was a true gentleman, a person of honor and manners, that is too rare today. He had seen and done a lot in his life, and it was wonderful to hear him share his first hand memories.
A treasure of information and experiences, I was sorry he wasn't able to attend the last L.A. History Conference, and have the pleasure of seeing him again.

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » November 15th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Very sorry to hear about John's passing. I had the privilege of working very closely with him on Extending Magic Beyond Credibility and thoroughly enjoyed his knowledge and zeal for magic and life.

He will be missed.

Andrew

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 15th, 2009, 2:27 pm

I am very saddened to read this news. I send my sincere condolences to his family and many friends. Dr. Booth officiated at the weddings of some friends of mine, so I know that they must be feeling a terrible loss today. You are in my thoughts today.

Dustin

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » November 15th, 2009, 2:51 pm

i am sad to hear of Dr. Booth's death.
our condolences to his family.

another Round Table magician on the poster
now gone...

and now there are five.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » November 15th, 2009, 6:20 pm

I've been expecting this for some time as John has not been in the best of health. A small group of us used to go over to his house every few weeks and take John to lunch. He always had great stories to tell.

I remember walking into his house and seeing a picture of him doing the vanishing cage for a group of Japanese students. I joked with him that I didn't know he did "kid shows."

He asked me if I knew who the youngster was in the picture, the one he was performing for and I responded that yes, I did, that he'd gone into the family business in Japan. It was the Crown Prince Akihito, now current Emperor of Japan.

When we had a small party to open our condo about 8 years ago John came over. After a short while I looked around for him and found him sitting by himself in my magic den. He told me how much he enjoyed sitting there with the various posters, memorabilia and books that I had. I realized that at his age, around 90 at the time, he knew essentially everyone on the wall and in the books, something that probably no other magician in the world could say.

John had a wonderful life, was a great friend to have. I'll miss him.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 15th, 2009, 6:56 pm

I always found his "Forging ahead in Magic" book very useful to me even though Paul Pacific didn't like it at all. Youth is wasted on the young of course. And my Chinese Ring routine is partly based on his description in Marvels of Mystery which he authored.

I met him once and we talked about a mutual friend; Murray the escapologist. Murray told me that John Booth and he had a lot in common both having travelled the world.

Terry

Postby Terry » November 15th, 2009, 8:57 pm

Another connection to Magic's past is gone.

R.I.P.

magicalt

Postby magicalt » November 15th, 2009, 10:12 pm

My condolences to his family. Mr. Booth RIP

David Linsell

Postby David Linsell » November 15th, 2009, 11:42 pm

Dr Booths first pastorate following his graduation from Meadville Theological School in 1942 was at The Unitarian Church of Evanston. I have been a member of this same fellowship since 1980, and our mutual sharing of magic and Unitarianism was always a source of camaraderie whenever we met. We often saw each other at Collectors here in Chicago.

When our church celebrated its centennial in 1991, we invited all living past ministers to return for the event. Of course, I volunteered to be his chauffeur. It was great spending relaxed, quality time with him. As we drove from OHare, and to and from the various church events I got to hear about many of his adventures both inside and outside of magic. He was one of the most fascinating people I have ever met.

The artwork in Dustin's post, the flaming chalice is the most widely used symbol of Unitarianism and Unitarian Universalism and the official logo of the Unitarian Universalist Association.

The following link is a short autobiographical sketch Dr Booth wrote nine years ago for the Harvard Square Librarys series: Notable American Unitarians.

http://www.harvardsquarelibrary.org/uni ... booth.html

Many, many people will miss him.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » November 16th, 2009, 12:30 am

Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » November 16th, 2009, 7:01 am

i spent a few brief hours sitting with him on a train back from a british ring convention a few years ago. what a gentleman..
Sad loss... But he had a good life.

pixsmith

Postby pixsmith » November 16th, 2009, 10:41 am

I will always regret not taking an extra day to try to meet this remarkable gentleman. His books are some of the best magical reading available, and I have to second the nod to "Forging Ahead in Magic" as being one of the best books a lot of people have never read.

Dr. Booth lived for 97 of the most amazing years in both magic and history. My condolences to his family and to his friends.

Anne Christie

Postby Anne Christie » November 16th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Thank you everyone for all of the nice sentiments. I will pass them on to my mother, Barbara.
Introducing myself - I am John Booth's granddaughter, Anne. I've met a couple of the people who have posted in this thread, and nice to meet the rest.
I can keep you up-to-date as information as it becomes finalized if you wish, otherwise I apologize for overstepping and posting in a forum of which I am not a member. Please contact me if it was inappropriate.

As of right now Barbara is trying to sort through everything. I've been helping her in any way I can. We plan on having a service in California as soon as the plans can be finalized. We do not have a date set yet. We also are tentatively planning a service in Massachusetts on the 1 year anniversary of his death.

I'm sorry that there isn't more information than that at the current time.

Anne Christie

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 16th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Anne,

Your post is most appropriate and of course you are welcome to keep our little community updated.

Again; you and your family have my sincerest condolences.

Warmest regards,
Dustin Stinett
Genii Forum Moderator
(I'm not quite the monster depicted in my avatar or title, but we'll just keep that between us.)

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » November 16th, 2009, 10:03 pm

I saw John about six weeks ago. I'd been racing to finish the digital CD version of his memoirs. He answered the phone and invited me over. He was so happy to see the completed collection, and I assured him that the disk meant that his epic autobiography would live on for a long, long time. John was such a kind person, so multi-talented, and I was blessed to know him. He'd sent me an autographed photo when I was a kid, and visiting him at his house in Los Alamitos was a thrill. A real gentleman and an adventurer of life.

David Linsell

Postby David Linsell » November 18th, 2009, 9:42 am

I, like all of you knew John through magic, but also shared a special bond because I have been a member since 1980 of the same Unitarian Fellowship that John served from 1942-48. Because of my connection to John's life in the ministry, I am writing a short article for the quarterly Unitarian magazine UU World on John. I described to the UU Worlds editor how John had been confidant and consultant to some of the biggest names in magic, both past and present. How he had chronicled the history and practitioner of our craft and was a very important figure to all of us.

The editor was frankly unaware of John's many accomplishments (youngster that she is), but was really interested in running a piece.

If any of you have personal stories or anecdotes you would like to share for inclusion in the article please either post here or send them to me via private message.

Norm and Lupe Nielsen have very generously provided me with photos to accompany the article, including the beautiful poster they produced a few years ago. If you have images you would like to share please send them along also.

If any of you have contact with Johns family could you please pass this information on to them, and invite them to contact me if they wish to participate. I have sent Anne Christie a message via PM, but not yet received a reply.

I have also been asked to make a short presentation at this Sundays service at our church in remembrance of John. We actually have a current member who attended during her teens when John was minister!
Last edited by David Linsell on November 18th, 2009, 1:33 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: minor correction per DL.

Anne Christie

Postby Anne Christie » November 18th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Hello everyone,

Todd - Please call Barbara at my grandfather's home number with the information on availability of the CD.

David - Sorry I did not catch that message sooner. I am awaiting Barbara's decisions in the matters. I will let you know as soon as possible.

Thank you!

~Anne

Solyl Kundu

Postby Solyl Kundu » November 19th, 2009, 1:03 am

Early this morning Ive received a mail from friend Maria Ibanez informing John Booth - a prolific writer of magic, a fine performer, and above all a perfect gentleman who had travelled the world making documentaries on film, has passed away on last Wednesday. That was followed by another endorsing message from friend Alan Watson.

Like everybody else in the world of magic I was shocked; but Im feeling myself shamed too. Only on yesterday I had emailed to my friend Joe Clifford regarding some very-very 'happy moments' for me in my last visit to USA during June-August 2009 when I personally met, talked to and even showed a coin magic of mine to legendary scholar John N Booth.

It all started when I came to know from friend Joyce Basch that John Booth lives in California, and I immediately expressed my desire to meet him. Joyce telephoned and talked to John Booth but initially he refused to meet saying he doesnt anymore meets visitors. But when Joyce told him that a magician from India wants to meet him he very eagerly agreed.

Then we went to meet him one fine morning on July 11 around 10.30. He welcomed us euphorically and knowing me a person from Calcutta - the city of his close friend PC Sorcar he was swept over with joy. He reminisced his association with Sorcar,Senior, and when asked elucidated his suggestions to Late Sorcar about using colorful Indian costumes, and Indian styled stage settings in his show to glorify India and its magic. He further described his adventures in Assam and riding on elephant etc.

He asked me a lot of questions and I had to satisfy him with proper answers. His face illumined with joy when I told him that I have his penned books Marvels of Mystery and The John Booth Classics in my personal collection.

He was much pleased to cognize my Magic Castle gig and lecture there, and also in various IBM Rings. I had to show him one of my pet coin magic that he seemed to enormously enjoy.

Then there was a picture taking session and I was highly honored to get photographed with one of the titans in magic. I promised to send him copies of those photographs after returning back home.

However for some reasons I couldnt honor my words earlier and only a few days back I had mailed him those photographs. Unfortunately he is gone now and will never know that Ill live my future days with guilt feelings for not keeping my words in time.

I vividly remember that while bidding him goodbye, though I found him smiling and him even came to the exit but his body language clearly stated that he wanted us to stay for more time. Unfortunately I was with him only for 30 minutes or so but we both have enjoyed every moment. I will treasure those moments forever.

Respected Sir, I thank you for allowing me to meet and talk with you, and all you have done for the magic fraternity too. Please do forgive me for not honoring my words in time. Rest in peace sir. I love you.

solyl kundu,
Kolkata, India

p.s. you may care to surf the link below to view a couple of photographs of my visit to dr. john n booth:

http://photobucket.com/wizardsk

=============================================================
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Anne Christie

Postby Anne Christie » November 20th, 2009, 4:49 pm

I hope the problems I was having accessing the internet are fixed now. An obituary for Dr Booth went out to several newspapers, but I have been able to only find 1 of them published...in the L A Times.

My mother has been working on putting together a memorial service approximately 1 month after his passing, but nothing is definate yet. I will provide updates as I have the information.

Thank you!

Anne Christie

Postby Anne Christie » November 20th, 2009, 5:57 pm

I just got news of this:

Magic Ring 96 is having a broken wand tribute for John Booth tomorrow (November 21, 2009) at approximately 7 pm. I believe they are meeting in Farmer's and Merchant's Bank in Seal Beach, Ca. If anyone has any additional information, please feel free to add it to this thread.

Thank you!

~Anne

magicam

Postby magicam » November 23rd, 2009, 6:10 pm

The Adventurers' Club is also honoring John on December 10, 2009 at its club headquarters, located at 2433 N. Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90031.

I could not find any mention of the starting time (probably in the evening), but those interested in attending can contact the club at (323) 223-3948 for more details. The club's web address is http://www.adventurersclub.org

John became quite a good friend over the 29 years that I knew him, and had a remarkable life. Although long retired from the clergy, several years ago John kindly agreed to "come out of retirement" and marry me and my wife, so he will always have a special place in our family memories. I believe ours was the last wedding he performed.

John Tudor

Postby John Tudor » November 23rd, 2009, 9:36 pm

I so loved his writings...
Here is a link to a picture of him taken last May. (with Bill McIlhaney on left).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4 ... =512098344
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates

John Tudor

Anne Christie

Postby Anne Christie » November 25th, 2009, 7:18 pm

A service is scheduled for Saturday, December 12, 2009 at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Long Beach in Long Beach, CA. All those wishing to eulogize Dr. Booth are welcome to do so. Barbara is hoping to have it in the early afternoon, but the exact time hasn't been determined.
We tried to schedule it so that it wouldn't conflict with too many people's holiday plans.

Lupe Nielsen

Postby Lupe Nielsen » November 27th, 2009, 7:24 pm

Here is the latest on the Memorials for John Booth...

Memorial from the Adventurer's Club:
Date: Thursday, December 10, 2009
Time: 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Place: Adventurer's Club of Los Angeles
2433 N. Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90031
For more details, please contact the club at: 323-223-3948

Memorial from daughter Barbara:
Date: Saturday, December 12, 2009
Time: 1:00 pm
Place: Unitarian Universalist Church of Long Beach
5450 E. Atherton Street
Long Beach, CA 90815
Telephone of church: 562-597-8445

Regards,

Norm and Lupe Nielsen

magicam

Postby magicam » December 11th, 2009, 7:40 am

Bump.

See Lupe's post immediately above for info on this Saturday's services. John's family has stressed that it is open to all who want to pay their respects to John.

Return to “Buzz”