Magic in Film and Fiction

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Magic in Film and Fiction

Postby Magic Newswire » October 23rd, 2009, 9:34 am

I'm curious...

What is your favorite magic related film? Book?

RE: the book, I'd prefer fiction recommendations, but will accept your suggestions from Non-Fiction as well.

The only films that pop to mind immediately are Prestige, Illusionist and Houdini. Fiction: Prestige (Far better than the film IMHO) and Non-Fiction would be Magician and the Cardsharp.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Magic in Film and Fiction

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 23rd, 2009, 10:02 am

Tip on a Dead Crab is my favorite fiction book that has a magician as its main character (which led to me being called "Shifty" by some non-magic friends).

"The Illusionist" is my favorite "magic" film. However, "The Great Race"--my absolute favorite movie of all time--sort of has a magic connection: The Great Leslie, played by Tony Curtis, escapes from a straight jacket while hanging from a hot air balloon. Jack Lemmon was the "bad guy" (Professor Fate) but they both were "stunt" showmen. My dog (a black pug who we just lost a week ago today :( ) was named after Peter Falk's character (Prof. Fate's assistant), Maximilian Meen.

Dustin

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 23rd, 2009, 10:10 am

I enjoyed Neil Gaiman's "The Books of Magic" as a close second to his "Sandman" as books where magic and magicians act as something other than means used by dolts to enable very bad behavior (see Boorman's film "Excalibur" for example). Contrast that with Warren Ellis' Gravel stories for magic as method. Or perhaps Grant Morrison's "The Invisibles" for magic used as theme or Moore's "Promethea" for a tour of magic to bring the reader up to speed on what's easily accessible to the student.

Films... kind of tough to beat the Harry Potter films for recent works where magic and magicians lead the drama IMHO. Agreed seeing The Thin White Duke as last century's wizard Tesla was fun in "The Prestige" - but Alfred as narrator and that lousy last few minutes of talking... :( almost ruined a fine story - saved by the bouncing red rubber ball IMHO. ;)

More recent works include Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" and Neal Stephenson's "Anathem" as regards magic in action and using the principles of magic to both move the story for the characters and satisfy the reader's interest in the world and the story.

On the leading edge - perhaps "Blindsight" - a great contrast to the Charles Stross "Laundry" stories.

No disrespect to the Mickey Mouse version of The Sorcerer's Apprentice - that's a fine film too.

Frank Dudgeon
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Postby Frank Dudgeon » October 23rd, 2009, 10:37 am

My favorite magic fiction book is 1938's "Death From a Top Hat," the first of four Merlini novels by Clayton Rawson. As a teen I attended the 1964 combined IBM/SAM convention in New York, and bought all four of the Merlini novels in paperback from, I believe, Larry Weeks in the dealers' room.

It's a classic mystery novel - a locked room murder - with a cast of magic characters. I have several editions of the novels, but that first one I bought has been read so often it's falling apart.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » October 23rd, 2009, 8:29 pm

The Great Merlini novels are my favorites as well and this seems like a convenient time to link to my post selling my spare copies here .

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » October 23rd, 2009, 8:39 pm

Thanks guys! I am thrilled with the response to this. Keep them coming. I can't wait to hear from the head Genii!

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » October 23rd, 2009, 9:22 pm

Robertson Davies' WORLD OF WONDERS, FIFTH BUSINESS and THE MANTICORE for books.

Favorite magic film - HOUDINI with Tony Curtis. I also enjoyed horror films such as Two on a Guillotine; and The Mad Magician.

- T. Baxter

Focus

Postby Focus » October 23rd, 2009, 9:43 pm

Saw this thread and thought I'd repost this link from FilmInFocus in which seven magicians, including Roberto Giobbi, Eric Mead, Max Maven and Homer Liwag pick their favorite magic-related or magic-inspiring movies:

http://www.filminfocus.com/fifsplash/fi ... _magicians

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 23rd, 2009, 10:06 pm

Folks do know that the term "movie magic" refers to the idea that a sequence where someone walks out a door somewhere could consist of several shots edited together which were each filmed at completely different places, and not even in storyboard sequence, then edited together and overlayed music, sound effects and dialog redone to fill in later. Completely different craft.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » October 23rd, 2009, 11:01 pm

Magic Newswire wrote:What is your favorite magic related film? Book?

Any book by Terry Pratchett that feature Granny Weatherwax.

Any fool could be a witch with a runic knife, but it took skill to be one with an apple corer. [size:8pt]~Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum [/size]

And Robertson Davies Depthford trilogy, the works of Niel Gaiman and Alan Moore. And for non-fiction; Keith Johnstone's "Impro for Storytellers" and the books by Martin Gardner.

Gord

Postby Gord » October 24th, 2009, 1:00 am

Tom Stone wrote:
Magic Newswire wrote:What is your favorite magic related film? Book?

Any book by Terry Pratchett that feature Granny Weatherwax.

Any fool could be a witch with a runic knife, but it took skill to be one with an apple corer. [size:8pt]~Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum [/size]

And Robertson Davies Depthford trilogy,

I second this.

Gord

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 26th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Frank Dudgeon wrote:My favorite magic fiction book is 1938's "Death From a Top Hat," the first of four Merlini novels by Clayton Rawson. As a teen I attended the 1964 combined IBM/SAM convention in New York, and bought all four of the Merlini novels in paperback from, I believe, Larry Weeks in the dealers' room.

It's a classic mystery novel - a locked room murder - with a cast of magic characters. I have several editions of the novels, but that first one I bought has been read so often it's falling apart.

Tod Browning's last movie was an adaptation of "Death From a Top Hat" called "Miracles for Sale".

You can watch it here.

mel

Postby mel » August 27th, 2015, 8:37 am

J.B.Priestley: "Lost Empires"!
(Brah book, brah tv-series)

Diego

Postby Diego » August 28th, 2015, 1:13 am

Clayton Rawson and John Dickson Carr, were two writer/magicians who were close friends with William Lindsay Gresham, who wrote the novel, "Nightmare Alley", with the story including magic, mentalism, carnivals, spiritualism, and more.

Return to “Buzz”